Derek Dooley says Tyler Bray showed signs of maturity

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray looks downfield for an open receiver during a warmup session prior to a team scrimmage at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Aug. 13, 2011.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Adam Brimer

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray looks downfield for an open receiver during a warmup session prior to a team scrimmage at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Aug. 13, 2011. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

photos by ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2011

photos by ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray looks for an open receiver during a warm-up session prior to a team scrimmage at Neyland Stadium on Saturday.

Tennessee coach Derek Dooley looks on as UT's wide receivers run a drill during warmups prior to Saturday's scrimmage.

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2011

A different mindset didn't change the numbers all that much for Tyler Bray.

It certainly seemed to alter the way Tennessee felt about its quarterback, though.

Disappointed with a performance earlier in the week that prompted some critical comments from his coach, Bray took a much more serious approach into the second scrimmage of fall camp on Saturday night at Neyland Stadium. It actually started much earlier in the day with a lunch with his receivers, some music and a little trash talk that got the blood flowing for the sophomore -- and a game-day approach paid some clear dividends for an offense counting on him to lead the way.

"I felt like we came out like it was an actual game," Bray said. "Tempo was up, I mean, I didn't really have to look at the play clock at all for the first couple of series because we were in and out of the huddle so fast.

"As an offense after the first scrimmage, we kind of talked. I hung out with (a few receivers) afterwards and we kind of talked and said that we have to come out next scrimmage and show them that we can actually play, that we're ready for this season. That last scrimmage wasn't us."

The Vols still might not have fully established an offensive identity, though they seemed to move a bit closer to realizing one after taking advantage of a chance to make up for a sluggish debut on Tuesday.

Bray didn't improve much statistically, completing 12 of 26 passes for 132 yards with a touchdown and an interception, according to numbers provided by UT from the closed workout. That's not noticeably different than going 13-of-29 for 165 yards with a couple touchdowns, but some of the progress Derek Dooley was looking for in his second-year starter can't really be quantified.

The Vols coach was more worried about improved communication in the huddle and sustaining longer drives than the stats sheet. But if a couple of the shots the Vols took downfield hadn't narrowly missed, Dooley would have some substantive evidence to point to as well.

"I wish Tyler would get a little more consistent in his approach," Dooley said. "He shouldn't have to have a real bad day to get him to want to come in and take it more seriously. That comes with maturity.

"We were a little off in the throwing game — we missed a lot of big plays, and we're going to try to be a big-play, explosive pass game. The sync was a little bit off. I didn't think anybody was bad, it's just a matter of that chemistry that's going to come with a new receiving corps. I thought Tyler had a good demeanor. His stats don't look as good ... but we were close. I mean, three big plays and that whole stat line changes. Now, in a game, close isn't good enough."

That was about the only complaint Dooley had offensively, and it showed up with those longer drives stalling out and leading to five field goals instead of touchdowns.

Bray did finish off one series in the end zone, finding Da'Rick Rogers from four yards out to give the sophomore receiver his second touchdown of camp.

But the same combination producing a score might have been one of the only similarities between the first scrimmage and the second, and that appears to be a sign of progress.

"Most definitely, Bray came out, he grabbed the offense by the horns today and really helped the tempo," Rogers said. "The coaches put an emphasis on that, and I think he really worked hard on that today.

"When he comes out with his

mind right, really focuses in, as an offense we explode. That's the most important thing. He's the quarterback, he's the head of the dragon, so wherever he goes, most likely the whole offense is going to follow suit."

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

SCRIMMAGE STATS

Scoring Plays

Da’Rick Rogers 4 pass from Tyler Bray. Palardy kick.

Chip Rhome 29 field goal.

Michael Palardy 33 field goal.

Michael Palardy 52 field goal.

Matt Milton 18 pass from Matt Simms. (No PAT)

Chip Rhome 35 field goal.

Michael Palardy 36 field goal.

Rushing (No.-Yds.-TD-Long) – Tom Smith 10-80-0-22; Marlin Lane 9-42-0-13; Jaron Toney 11-25-0-9; Deanthonie Summerhill 5-30-0-20; Reggie Juin 3-26-0-19; Matt Simms 3-8-0-18; Nash Nance 1-5-0-5; Justin Worley 1-2-0-2; Tyler Bray 5-(-1)-0-5.

Passing (Att.-Comp.-Int.-Yds.-TD-Long) – Tyler Bray 26-12-1-132-1-21; Matt Simms 13-6-0-62-1-20; Justin Worley 8-3-2-56-0-25; Nash Nance 2-0-0-0-0-0.

Receiving (No.-Yds.-TD-Long) – Justin Hunter 4-69-0-21; Matt Milton 4-63-1-20; Marlin Lane 3-15-0-12; DeAnthony Arnett 2-30-0-25; Da’Rick Rogers 2-19-1-15; Tom Smith 2-2-0-6; Vincent Dallas 1-22-0-22; Michael Rivera 1-9-0-9; Cory Eichholtz 1-9-0-9; Ben Bartholomew 1-2-0-2.

Defense – Brent Brewer 7 tackles; Curt Maggitt 6 tackles, 4.5 TFL (-17), 2 sacks (-12); Rod Wilks 5 tackles, 1 TFL (-2), 1 fumble recovery, 1 PBU; A.J. Johnson 5 tackles, 0.5 TFL (0); Marsalis Teague 5 tackles; Izauea Lanier 4 tackles; Brian Randolph 4 tackles; John Propst 3 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 1 QB hurry; Greg King 2 tackles, 1 TFL (-4); Austin Johnson 3 tackles, 1 QB hurry; Eric Gordon 3 tackles; Robert Nelson 3 tackles; Shane Reveiz 3 tackles; Joseph Ayres 2 tackles, 1.5 TFL (-2); Naz Oliver 2 tackles, 1 interception (0 yards); Janzen Jackson 2 tackles; Willie Bohannon 1 tackle, 1 sack (-4), 1 QB hurry; Steven Fowlkes 1 tackle, 1 sack (-6), 1 QB hurry; Justin Coleman 1 tackle, 2 PBU; Prentiss Waggner 1 tackle, 1 PBU; Gregory Clark 1 tackle, 1 QB hurry; Jacques Smith 1 tackle, 1 QB hurry; Jordan Williams 1 tackle, 0.5 TFL (-1); Art Evans 1 interception (29 yards); Nigel Mitchell-Thornton 1 interception (0 yards); Nick Branum 1 tackle; Allan Carson 1 tackle; Maurice Couch 1 tackle; Vincent Dallas 1 tackle; Daniel Hood 1 tackle; Arthur Jeffery 1 tackle; Ben Martin 1 tackle; Byron Moore 1 tackle; Daryl Vereen 1 tackle; Marlon Walls 1 tackle.

Field Goals – Michael Palardy 3-of-3, long 52; Chip Rhome 2-of-2, long 35.

Punting (No.-Avg.-Long) – Matt Darr 5-37.2-43; Michael Palardy 3-36.0-45.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

zigvol writes:

I'm ready for some Big Orange football!!!

VOLPhan writes:

I just hope he isn't too comfortable back there now that he has the "starting job"... He has got to produce and play tough from the beginning... It's his job to lose.

dvhill100 writes:

If TB doesn't get with the program, I would not be surprised if Simms gets a shot again. Tyler may have more upside, but he is gong to have to do all the things that separate a good qb from a great one. He obviously hasn't grasped that yet, but it looks like he is making progress.

mdvol writes:

Two more weeks of practice and the VOLS will be ready to roll! UT will definitely be the surprise team in the SEC this year.

VOLS start the season 4-0! (Georgia 0-2)

Ironcity writes:

in response to dvhill100:

Give the kid a break!!! He is still a soph. with 5 starts in his career and no redshirt. You act like we should bench him if he doesn't act like Payton Manning. He has average almost 300 yards per game his career. He understands that when his receivers are one on one that they have a huge advantage and he exploits it like no QB we have had since Manning. The kid will make mistakes but I like the attacking style he brings. Also don't forget last year he did that with virtually no blocking. TB is the least of our worries and lets prey we don't see Simms because he may be the worst starting QB in UT's history (though he is a though kid).

shorttail writes:

a more serious approach?, bray needs to get it together or step aside for someone that is serious

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I agree with most of what you are saying even though I had to rightly spell a few words from your post. To say that Simms is the worst "starting qb the vols have ever had is a strong statement that requires a lot of research to support that claim.

Simms is the best backup qb in the SEC. He started 8 games last season and did well with a freshmen O-Line. We will win 8 games which id where we are projected to finish, according to some experts. GBO!!!!

hamneggs writes:

I really don't understand the positives in a sub-par passing percentage below 50%. This has been going on since the spring. I think we have hitched our wagon to the wrong horse.

Vols20 writes:

in response to hamneggs:

Of course you do since you have been in ALL the meetings, ALL the weight training sessions, ALL the film study, ALL the volunteer summer work, ALL of the practices, and been his position coach. Makes me want to puke when some numbnut gets on here and makes an ignorant comment. Let me make this clear: COACHES PLAY THE BEST GUY AT EVERY POSITION. John Crompton caught heck on this board during his junior and senior years at Tennessee. There were constant comments like, "He isn't the right guy to lead this team" or "We need to be starting so and so or so and so." And guess what, he was the starter under two pretty doggone good football coaching staffs. What's this tell you? He was the best QB at Tennessee during his junior and senior years. The "I think we have hitched our wagon to the wrong horse" comment is stupid. Tyler Bray is the BEST QB Tennessee has! Period! Matt Simms isn't, and Justin Worley is no where near ready. So, Tyler Bray is our "horse", and by gosh has a great chance to be a dadgum good one.

rjrich#235198 writes:

in response to Vols20:

I tend to agree. All of us "old arm chair quarterbacks" are sitting here trying to glean some insight from SCRIMMAGE STATS. It's been 35 years since I played football, but I can't help but snicker when people go nuts over the scrimmage stats.

Remember guys, this is still practice. Does anyone know what the coaching staff was calling, or trying to do on any set of plays or downs. No. None of us know what kind of situational play calling or testing the coaching staff was doing. But I suspect much of what is going on is trying to put the players in positions they may face - not trying to generate some impressive statistics for some beat writer to pass along so we can feel great about the numbers being posted.

It's practice, folks. If the coaching staff comes out after one of these sessions screaming or saying we need to start over, then maybe we can all join hands and follow the lemmings over the clifts.

But my suspicion is that pretty stats from practice are not something that will keep our coaches awake. I think they are teaching and coaching.

That's what they should be doing. And practice stats, or Orange & White Game stats, have very little to do with whether or not these kids can play football.

Go Vols.

hamneggs writes:

in response to rjrich#235198:

Go Vols.

I hope your right. If a player has one bad day I understand, its just a bad day. However, when this develops into a pattern that continues from scrimmage to scrimmage. Like I said, I hope your right.

rjrich#235198 writes:

in response to hamneggs:

I don't know if I'm right, but I know these kids are working hard to be good football players, and our coaching staff is charged with doing what they can to see that happens.

One thing I did notice was the lack of all of the slew of former "Lou Groza's" we have on the site who like to remind us about how many games Palardy may cost us....

His "stat" line today was

Kicking: M.Palardy 3 made field goals 33, 52, 36.

So maybe stats don't matter after all.

:-)

Go Vols!

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to Vols20:

Like the passion of your post. Am totally stoked about the upcoming season. I realize we probably won't be playing for a NC or even a SEC but I fully expect this team to be competitive in every game and pull out a couple of big games. Play in a decent bowl, have one more good recruiting class and then look out SEC 'cause Here Come the Vols! GO VOLS!

proud2btnvol (Inactive) writes:

5-7 this year. 8-4 next year.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Don't think you want his dad to hear you say that.
I think Simms did a great job last yer, I know he isn't the passing talent that TB is but he was in there against the toughest teams and while we had nothing at all on the o. line. He is a pretty smart QB as a field General He reminds me of Troy Winslow at So Cal during the J. McKay days.

hamneggs writes:

in response to rjrich#235198:

His "stat" line today was

Kicking: M.Palardy 3 made field goals 33, 52, 36.

So maybe stats don't matter after all.

:-)

Go Vols!

How many did he miss?

rjrich#235198 writes:

in response to hamneggs:

How many did he miss?

All the ones he didn't hit....I guess

allvol32 writes:

I suggest that all of you nervous nellies go look at Bray's highlights from last season. The kid is more than capable of catching fire and blowing up other teams.

I realize that he is a sophomore and there will be bumps along the way but if you compare the offense to what it accomplished under Simms (slow and steady capable of winning a grind it out game) versus how the offense looked under Bray (capable of scoring spectacularly from any spot on the field) then I don't know how you can't be optimistic about what TN's offense will be capable of this year.

richvol writes:

The thing that bothers me about Bray is his casual attitude about virtually everything..."after the last scrimmage we kind of talked about things". Kind of talked...kind of talked...what the hell does that mean? This kid needs to get serious about being a leader and get his arse in gear if he really intends to be the type of QB that Tennessee needs him to be. I wish Worley was a year older.

VOODOOley-2011 (Inactive) writes:

I'm glad we're not playing Tennessee-Martin again this year first game. Bring on the Grizzlies.

DannyVol writes:

This was the second scrimmage, people. That means all sorts of new things were being tried and evaluated. Some will be kept, some tweaked, some canned. They already know what Bray is good at doing. Some of you act like UT football is a source of greif.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Let me synopsize this for you, based on the numbers...The defense did well. Three or four of the players dominated in tackle count. They played a lot of players.The secondary kept the completions low. The receivers had good yards per reception. Tom Smith did well, and may have had a long run.

Southland writes:

6-6 expected 7-5 pretty good year 10-2 next year

vol98champ writes:

Last year at this time I'm not sure we had 11 SEC players on the roster. I think, some of that is hope, we have at least 25 on the roster this year. The secondary should be much better. The offensive line will be much better. The defensive line could be much better. The new LB's seem to be ready. We are very young, but this team has much potential. The last 2 years looked like a team that had been on probation for several years.

jawga writes:

in response to Southland:

6-6 expected 7-5 pretty good year 10-2 next year

6-6 this yr, 7-5 next & hopefully rewarded with a 3 yr extension.

Vols20 writes:

in response to rjrich#235198:

Go Vols.

Great points! I think your comment about situational play calling or testing things out is spot on. He is a case in point - A buddy of mine made it to the big leagues as a pitcher. His spring training stats were terrible for like two weeks, and we were all wondering if he was going to make the squad. I asked him at the towards the end of spring training why he had been struggling. He said, "I have been working on my two seam fastball and changeup all spring. I have hardly thrown my four seamer (which was 96-98 at that time) or my slider." There are things that the average fan doesn't know.

I like what Coach Dooley is doing. Building a program on character will pay off. These players are working hard and coaches are putting in long hours. As fans, we need to be supportive and positive because none of us (even the ones who think they do) have no clue as to what is going on within the team. GO VOLS!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to brown-bag-vol-fan:

I agree with the 8-4 because that is a DISTINCT possibility,but the 14-0?? I'm gonna assume that you are trying to be funny..I would love that, just like any true Vol fan, but 14-0 is VERY hard to do, especially in this conference..A team going undefeated in this conference is not real common.

Smokey says that he loves your optimism...

givehim6 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

When CDD talks about team youth this is what he is talking about. Bray is on just year 2 this is his first starting year, with a young group of receivers to boot. Will there be growing pains? Yes! This in why we play 2 nonconference games to start with. Chemistry needs to gel, so go easy with the young Vols to start with. We most all said next year will be there break out year.

american_pitvol_terrier writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

That is also from "Friday". Put up your dukes...

VOLliven2it writes:

Still underwhelmed by the joke junk on this site by trollhappy feeders. But that aside there are two words we need to keep in mind this season Vol Fans, YOUNG TEAM. So before we proclaim them anything we have to see how they play at hostile SEC environments and against SEC defenses. Bray is somewhat untested in that except for SC last year and he did okay but we lost. Part of that was on the defense. So let's let them be young and learn and make some mistakes while playing their hearts out. Win or lose, they are the TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS and I will support them. Bring on the Grizzes, we are READY! Well, almost anyway.

FWBVol writes:

People tend to forget that most defensive players on a team know the offense as well as the guys on offense. The defenders work against the offensive players every day in practice and know all the audibles. They know the tendencies of their teammates and most of their weaknesses.

When all things are equal as far as intra squad scrimmages it is easier for the defense to exploit the offense than it is for the offense to exploit the defense.

The defense can stunt and do some free lance stuff, but the offense has to stay within the frame work of a play.

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

UF defense is working against the UF offense right now.

Nice try...

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to rjrich#235198:

Go Vols.

'Can't disagree with that. Coaches have 'em practice what's ugly......not what's already working. Practice stats are for media types and wannabes, not the coaches, who're putting all this together. It's been over 40 years since I played fb, but I played for 7 years and not once did we practice for looky loos.......doubt that's changed at all. Productive practices equal pleased coaches.....mission accomplished. GBO!

movol77 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Only a psychotic troll assumes that the "punting was horrible" based on stat lengths/averages. Most of the punts came on the short side of the field. Go take your meds and/or do better research.

movol77 writes:

in response to Unfrozen_Caveman_Volfan:

"John Madden" was right...and experienced.

voloffaith writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Jethro ewe get in this room right now!!! What Mom? Clean up this mess you left of your Count Chocula cereal! Ewe didin't finish the laundry either punkin...Mom...Don't mom me when all you do is sit downstairs in the basement and type on that contraption ALL DAY LONG!!! It's a computer Mom. Don't backtalk me boy get up here and clean up your messes now! Ah mom....Ok

On topic,Bray is our best shot with all the intangibles. I also don't forget Simms gutsy drive in the Bayou to a TD so he is capable of good production. That was not the Simms I saw against Steve Superiors gammecocks. So questions are out there no doubt,but that's why they play the games.

rockypop writes:

In this day of information overload, it's difficult for me to understand how any young elite athlete can't find examples of how he/she ought to approach their sport. The pattern is pretty clear. Every successful athlete at any level in any sport will talk about the virtues of film study, training, building chemistry with teammates, leadership, etc.

So, why is it that athletes like Tyler Bray have to be prodded by coaches to get motivated? These guys have been given an extraordinary gift that requires development. Why in the world would they not do everything they can to maximize it?

History has proven that time and time again that many elite athletes who think they can succeed on talent alone have failed. That information is easily available to every aspiring star today. It's almost impossible to ignore. So, why do we still read about potential "stars" like Tyler Bray, who seem to have a problem with "maturity," which is a code word for not taking coaching and training seriously?

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

in response to jawga:

6-6 this yr, 7-5 next & hopefully rewarded with a 3 yr extension.

Why would you want to reward Dooley if, after three years at UT, he's only posted a single winning season?

I don't get it? I mean, giving him three years to build a winning program is reasonable, but why then bet the next 6 years on such lackluster results? When did UT suddenly morph into Vandy where a 7-5 season is the top of the mountain???

GONAVY writes:

in response to rockypop:

Good points...

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

While everyone is dogging out Bray for his performance in the scrimmage, did it cross anyones mind that maybe our defense is looking that good? Maggit looks like he is going to be a monster. A good defense can make a good QB look average. GBO!

SECProudUT writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

Explain to me "ole self contradiction one" First the Defense are the stoppers not unstoppable's" Two: as you said in the other post, they are only as good as who they are going against in camp. Being the SPIN DOCTOR DADDY that you are the offensive blocking schemes must really be bad at UF. That should about sum up your logic, I would think. So go back to your swamp hole, and talk to those that care of what you have to say, for here you are on a road to a empty city and ends in a lonely journey. 'Cause Nobody Cares!!!!