New tune for Renaldo Woolridge on music, videos: 'I will never give it up'

Renaldo "Swiperboy" Woolridge posted in a Sunday night blog entry that the beat of his rap music and videos will go on, after all.

"I know the haters were excited when they actually thought I would be done rapping forever,'' Woolridge wrote. "Ha ... false. Music has helped me get through a lot, and is a part of me. I will never give it up.''

The Tennessee senior forward posted on Aug. 7 that he was leaving his musical aspirations behind, even though he said music has helped him deal with depression and thoughts of suicide.

But the most recent entry in Woolridge's blog, called "Swiperboy's World," leads with the headline: "You really thought I was done?'' The blog can be found at http://swiperboy.blogspot.com/

Woolridge has removed the Aug. 7 entry from his blog, and in his new entry he apologizes to his fans for "letting you feel you could doubt me.''

Late Monday, Swiperboy's "Teach me how to Dooley" appeared on YouTube.

New UT coach Cuonzo Martin, who is in China serving as an assistant coach with the U.S. Men's Junior National Team, is aware of Woolridge's recent blog entries, but he hasn't had a chance to discuss them with his player yet.

Martin's stance on Woolridge's music and performances has been the same as the previous staff's: there's a time and place for it.

Joan Cronan, UT’s interim athletic director, said the school monitors its student-athletes as closely as possible to ensure their well being.

“We take anything like that very serious, and our goal is to provide our student-athletes with all the help we can get,’’ Cronan said when asked of Woolridge’s reference to suicidal thoughts. “It’s our job is to take care of the well-being of our athletes.’’

Woolridge wrote in his most recent blog that once basketball season begins,"I want to dedicate my 100 percent to my team, coaches, basketball fans and the game.''

The Vols are tentatively set to begin fall individual drills on Aug. 24, but the full team practices don't begin until mid-October.

Martin has not released a depth chart, but Woolridge is expected to compete for playing time at power forward and on the wing.

Woolridge suffered through an injury plagued junior season, appearing in only eight games and averaging 1.6 points in those contests.

Woolridge's music career has been healthy, however, as he has now released 10 mix tapes.

Woolridge said his most recent mixtape, called "Zazzzle," will be his final one until April of 2012, when he plans to being working on a studio album that he can sell in stores after his eligibility expires.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball and can be followed on twitter at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

MakinBacon writes:

Give it up, man.

VOLinATL writes:

I really miss the days before Twitter. Back then, when some kid had a thought, he could only spout it to his friends, who are also young and dumb, and no one else would have to be subjected to it.

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

This is so childish.

agentorange writes:

I'm sure his fan was glad to hear that

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

Careful there tweet, there is no room on these boards for logical thoughts. You know that while these kids are on scholarship they aren't supposed to do anything but work hard so they can win and entertain us fans! You know the rule .....give your all everyday. Just sayin....

BarackyTop writes:

Saw through this from the very beginning. I knew this was a publicity stunt. Use to be a fan, but this was pretty desperate.

Orangeball writes:

Guys, he's not his daddy that's for sure and that's ok. Most of us are not our daddy made over either. I do believe he will one day look back and see what he missed. It's really hard to have two loves. I think he loves music and basketball is a hobby to please his dad.

PdxVol writes:

Listen, all Vol fans should be thankful for Swiperboy's work. His videos help promote the UT brand. You think that doesn't help in recruiting?

Check out this 5-star DT's youtube video:

Go to 2:37

Now check out Swiperboy's "Orange White":

Notice any similarities? That's right, this 5* DT from Cali is using Swiperboy's song in his highlight reel. Bottom line, Swiperboy's videos probably contribute more to the athletic programs as far as recruiting goes than Renaldo Woolridge does on the court. Anyways, he can do both.

Don't hate, appreciate.

PdxVol writes:

in response to VOLinATL:

Sort of like the days before you could post your dumb thoughts on internet comment boards, right?

VOLinATL writes:

in response to PdxVol:

Greetings, Pot!

Signed, Kettle

give_him_6 writes:

He is simply a waste of a scholarship. Him and his publicity stunts should just leave the basketball to the kids who are truly invested in the sport. What a waste...

Prostar writes:

in response to give_him_6:

You beat me to it, my thoughts exactly. We're wasting a full scholarship on 1.6 ppg. While you're getting a free ride you need to devote yourself entirely to your sport. Were I Coach Zo I'd tell him it's either Rap or BB, take your pick and if he walks I doube we'll miss his production (or lack therof).

OrangePride writes:

I seem to be with these last two posts. Certainly, if he wants to play basketball and stay focused enough to provide some minutes, then fine. He can follow both his interests. BUT, I would much rather see the scholarship be used on someone who comes in here bleeding orange, working every day full time on his game, and whose primary interest is making this team better. I have no doubt that Woolridge wants to help out the team, but it's clearly his second interest and not his first. I doubt that all this is going to play well in the Arena this year. The young man has lost a good number of his supporters.

eVOLved writes:

He's talented, so music should be a part of his life. Like Shaq said back when he had a music video, he's a "man of many talents."

checkerboards writes:

I agree with the posts before. Renaldo is sadly letting go a great chance to give his all for Tennessee. If he was an all-SEC player that was averaging 20 ppg I would be ok with it, but this guy needs to focus because UT needs him this year.

VolunteernGA writes:

Who cares?

TheStupidPolice writes:

PDxVol you are under arrest for your ignorance and lack of knowledge about pop culture. The 5-star DT was using Wiz Khalifa's Black and Yellow as his background music. It had nothing to do with a Swiperboy remix. C'mon man!

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to VOLinATL:

Amen to that! I wish Twitter, facebook, my space and all the others would just go away. Call me old school if you want. I really don't care. The world was a much better place 20 years ago. Even 50 years ago. On a different note...

How many day Witch Doctor?

GO VOLS!!!!!!!

Pointguard writes:

I don't think anyone has a problem with his love for music. I just think most of us would like for him to be doing it on his own dime, or a music scholarship.

Conrad writes:

Keep it up, SB! You've got talent and will be making music much longer than you'll be playing BB. As a Vol Fan, I like what your videos do for recruiting. The old folks might long for the past, but the fact is today's kids are all over twitter and youtube. It might not help your game, but it helps promote the program!

GONAVY writes:

Renaldo, just shut up and play basketball.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I was a music major long ago in college and I spent most of my time playing tennis, bball pick-up games in the gym, swimming, bowling, cards, eating junk , and etc.Music wasn't on my mind that much. I probably didn't have the talent in bball or music that Woolridge has.

He can do both. BUT he needs to concentrate on bball his senior year and set the music aside somewhat at least temporarily.
There have been times when it seemed he was rappin' on court instead of playing ball.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to VOL_GOD:

NERDS??? You got something against nerds? Not everyone who posts on here is a nerd!!

OK now that I thought about it...

MothershipChip writes:

In all honesty at this point would vacating his scholorship matter much? He is a senior and we are well past the end of the recruiting time for next season. Im just curious as to what exactly we would do with the scholorship if Zo pulls it due to the rap.

So much hate over a kid's choice to do what he likes (and something productive no less) during the off season. So long as he does what he says and focuses on basketball during the season what exactly is the issue here? Lack of production over the last three years speaks alot to being buried under the depth chart. Besides if he quits rapping I seriously don't see him becoming an all SEC caliber player over night; he may just not have that kind of game. I hope the best for Renaldo this season and for the rest of his life in whatever he decides to do.

Support the Players and the Team not only in what they do on the court but their futures of it as well.

Go Big Orange!

Volunatic writes:

I'm okay with his rapping career, and I'm glad that it has been helpful to him.
However, this comment is just plain dumb:
"I know the haters were excited when they actually thought I would be done rapping forever. Ha ... false."

Colliervol writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

Sorry to disagree. As I recall, Woolridge was a pretty highly rated player when he came out of high school. Obviously, he hasn't spent the time in the gym to improve his game. Otherwise, he would be much further along as a senior. Sports for college athletes these days is a full time job 12 months a year and there is little room for anything else. (And I'm not saying that's right but that's the simple truth.) If he wasn't going to commit to the program full-time then he should have given up his scholarship so we could have gotten somebody more committed.