Wes Washpun enrolled, awaits eligibility

Wes Washpun

Wes Washpun

Tennessee men’s basketball signee Wes Washpun was the first player to commit to new coach Cuonzo Martin, but it appears he will be the last to qualify for his freshman season.

Washpun, a point guard from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, was enrolled at UT and attending classes on Thursday, but he is still awaiting final NCAA certification, according to UT associate sports information director Tom Satkowiak.

Satkowiak confirmed that 6-foot-10 freshman signee Yemi Makanjuola also is enrolled in classes and has been declared eligible.

Martin, who is in China serving as an assistant coach for the U.S. Men’s Junior National team through Monday, said last week that Washpun and Makanjuola took summer course work to ensure their eligibility.

The players have yet to be added to Tennessee’s roster on its website, but Satkowiak explained that is a technicality, and both players are expected to be added to the roster early next week.

Student-athletes have 21 days from the start of the semester to receive NCAA eligibility clearance, and Satkowiak said the Vols are hopeful to get news on Washpun’s eligibility “by the middle of next week.’’

The Vols’ other incoming signees include freshman Quinton Chievous (6-5, guard/forward), freshman Josh Richardson (6-6, guard/forward) and junior college transfer Dwight Miller (6-8, power forward).

While Richardson has been projected as a wing, Martin has said Richardson also is capable of playing point guard.

UT returns two players with point guard experience: sophomore Trae Golden, who’s expected to start, and junior shooting guard Skylar McBee, who has limited experience at the position.

The Vols, who also have a point guard in freshman walk-on Brandon Lopez, are tentatively scheduled to begin individual workouts on Wednesday.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men’s basketball and can be followed on twitter at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

Ok then maybe he is not a wash...out. Need all the bodies we can get that have game. The level of their game will show as the season progresses and hopefully their level of play gets better with time as well.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

Good News-Bad News

Good News - Well, It looks like we have a team.

Bad News - Well, It looks like we have a team.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Stepchild_nFL:

Good News-Bad News

Good News - Well, It looks like we have a team.

Bad News - Well, It looks like we have a team.

Ladies and gentlemen Laugh In brings you the news.....

MothershipChip writes:

I wondered why Wes wasn't in the RTL this answers that question. Lets hope everything works out, the kid is a baller and we need the help at Point.

Go Big Orange!

RoadTrip writes:

One year of the old UT basketball results. After that it will be onward and upward with Coach Zo.

springtx_vol writes:

I was looking at our schedule for this year. I think we could realistically be as good as 19-10 this year!

Maui - 1 win, 2 losses

Ala - L
Aub - W
Miss - W
Miss St - W
Ark - W
LSU - W

10-6 in conference, 19-10 overall, NCAA bid!

Razor784 writes:

Ala - L
Aub - W
Miss - W
Miss St - W
Ark - W
LSU - W

10-6 in conference, 19-10 overall, NCAA bid!

Nice post but it might be a little optimistic, I figured something in the neighborhood of 16-13.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to Razor784:

Hey, that's what this time of year is all about! We are supposed to be optimistic and think that our team is going to win the national championship every year! Well, maybe not. But I do think that we are going to win some games that the "experts" don't give us a shot at. And, unlike last year, I don't think we will lose any games that we are supposed to win.

I could see us losing to Memphis, they do have better talent than us on paper. I just don't think Pastner is a very good coach. CCM will run circles around him. Plus I think CCM will have us playing lock down defense and will have us ready for end of game situations that we totally failed at last year.

martinvol34 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

I agree with you Bolivar Bob. These kids with the returning kids will be awesome.

Remember that Pearl was winning with Peterson's No name kids with a chip on their shoulder before we got the blue chip, McDonald's All-Americans.

Give me the kids that will have to develop but will bleed orange any day over those spoiled cheating kids.

Go Vols!

sheep writes:

You guys are already counting my boys out. What are we worried about? We finally have someone who can actually coach, and actually knows the game! Bruce was a great motivator, but motivation, and great recruiting do not always a championship bring(ask Cheatapari). Look at programs like Duke, Coach K is a GREAT coach, and the player either do things his way, or they sit. My belief is that Coach Martin is much the same. Also, why is everyone trying to pick the starting five already? All I hear is the "projected" starter at some position, where did that come from? Coach Martin will find the best five to fill his style of play, and those will be his guys. From what I have read, they have to play defense, shoot well, play as a team, and hustle. To be honest, most of the guyts mentioned as the "projected" starters, either dont know, or dont care how to play defense, or hustle, so that leaves some areas of improvement. We need to wait and see what the season brings, and give these young men the chance to prove all of us, and the SEC wrong. I still say that we will all be surprised when we see what Coach Martin will pull off with his style, and coaching ability.
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Go Vols says the Sheep.

in response to sheep:

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Go Vols says the Sheep.

Good post; agree with all. See my post on the schedule article. It's a new day in UT BB. I loved nearly everything CBP did until the end, but I like CCM even better. Show patience, Vol fans, and it will be rewarded sooner than we might expect right now.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to MothershipChip:

Go Big Orange!

You know that only 2 of the 5 new commits played in the RTL this year, right?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Uhhh??? UTC WILL win this year against the Orange UT. We're due.

Ok seriously I expect UTC to play them within 20 points maybe 15. I'd like to really pick UTC for a change but even with their improved talent I don't think they have any four star players. They have a few transfer students that may have been 3 or 4 star? UTC will win their conference I think.
oh yeah this is UT site!

I predict UT to go ohhhhhhlet's see 15-14. I'd be happy with that. If the boys listen to Coach who knows? UK -2 UF -2 UV -2 Ga-1 SC -1
UMemph. win( I just can't be real against them)Aub. -1 Ala-1 LSU -1 Miss.St. -1 UConn. -1
Pitt is an upset!HAH! Yah Pitt.

This is a pessimistic prediction. I hope some of those 2 losses are one or none. I'd probably give my right arm to see us beat UCONN.