Anthony Anderson moves from cornerback to wide receiver

Anthony Anderson on his position change

Tennessee senior Anthony Anderson was in a joking mood after Friday's practice, and that's exactly why Derek Dooley praised the Austin-East High School graduate during his meeting with reporters.

Anderson, along with redshirt sophomore Naz Oliver, was moved from the secondary to wide receiver Friday in a move that helps supply depth to a position that's been hampered by bumps and bruises.

For Anderson, a fifth-year senior, it signaled an official end for his candidacy to see significant playing time in the Vols' crowded defensive backfield.

"Hopefully one day I'll be the greatest to ever play (wide receiver)," Anderson said with a smile on his face. "For one year."

Anderson has been a fixture on special teams for the past two seasons, and he appeared to have his best shot at legitimate playing time when he exited spring camp atop the depth chart as a co-starter with freshman Justin Coleman. An influx of young talent, though, pushed Anderson to the back of the pile as camp progressed.

Dooley discusses the repercussions of Rajion Neal's knee injury

Anderson still remains in the mix to fill UT's vacancy at punt returner.

Dooley used an analogy to explain how selfless Anderson has been throughout the switch.

"We're all selfish by nature," Dooley said. "We're born selfish. When a baby is hungry, he cries and gets mad because all he's thinking about is 'I need some milk.' When you take away a toy from a baby, he cries and gets mad because he's not thinking about sharing.

"You have to beat out that self-absorbed trait that we are all born with. And Anthony has none of that, It's a real tribute to his character."

For later online and in Saturday's News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Vols1998 writes:

Its a T E A M Sport and AA has the right attitude.

Go Vols!!

Orange_Juiced writes:

I hope he does well and catches a few passes. Mostly I hope he manages to catch the ball if he gets the start at punt return.

You can do it Anthony...focus...catch...and then run!

SmokeDog1972 writes:

If Dooley gets tired of coaching he could always resurface as the Dali Lama. Brother has some deep thoughts!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to Orange_Juiced:

You can do it Anthony...focus...catch...and then run!

R-U-N, ANTHONY...R-U-N!!!!!

Volunatic writes:

Best of luck to Anthony Anderson on the switch. It would be great to see a Knoxville guy really have a breakout senior season.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

A good kid. Hope it works out for him.

McMinnVol writes:

in response to SmokeDog1972:

Wrong religion. He is quoting from basic Christianity - that we are all born sinners and want our own way.

Great article about a selfless man.

GO VOLS!

off_the_porch writes:

Somewhat on the same suject but WR Jason Croom out of Norcross, GA, has committed to UT.

Good news indeed.

Down_The_Field writes:

fine young man. period.

voloffaith writes:

in response to off_the_porch:

Good news indeed.

Yes it is ,even if it was reported yesterday.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Dooley said that he had played WR in high school and that he is very athletic..I would think it would be hard for a defensive guy to convert to an offensive guy, but after Marsalis Teague switched from and offensive guy to a defensive guy, I guess the switch(whichever it may be) can be done.

Smokey says good luck to the young man..

VolzsFan writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

Smokey says good luck to the young man..

It is very easy. You are still running and blocking or trying not to be blocked etc. You overrate how hard this game is to play. It is one of the few games that requires no actual skills to play.

VolzsFan writes:

getting all worked up over a position change. This is a 4-5 win football team. Go get some BBQ and relax.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to SmokeDog1972:

You are kidding?

tennrich1 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Phew....that was a close one there...you actually posted a lucid note just before this one and I called my cardiologist to restart my heart...but ahhhhh alas, you came thru for me with this one....Thanks pal...you R da man!!!!

10ECDave writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

We might me only be a 4-5 win team, but one of those wins will be when we whip your Gators hiney in Florida!

bUTchVFL writes:

I didn't think there was a huge depth issue at WR.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

Arguing with them is like rolling in the mud with pigs. You both get filthy, but the pigs love it.

voloffaith writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Looky Looky it's Cookie..oops that's a pest contol ad....why that came to mind I'm struggling a lil bit. Seriously I looked at my watch and realized that your nap time was over Tommy. Then I wondered what stops you've won at and realized probably same as ewe accused Dooley. Of course,in life isn't all about winning as our society makes it out to be. It's all about you the individual and your lil happiness regardless if others get trampled/pushed aside in the pursuit of your shining goals. I'm glad Jesus lovingly invaded my life and shook my dead,self-centered brain to think about eternal things. Ya know things that really matter like how I do or don't love my neighbor as my self. Is God on the throne of my life or is it again all about me,myself, and I?
All I'm saying is if all you can ever come up with is your usual negative postings they just might be a good indicator of a totally unsatisfied life. Said might be. Food for thought.

And for the record DaliLama would not be a good career choice as would be misleading(usually this is unintentional) many down a supposed pathway to inner peace that judgement day turns out to have been a pathway to desrtuction. OK y'all can get upset cos i put sum religious stuff in a post. In reality a lot of us do it different ways and types. To some they espouse the religion of UT football/sports and ewe better not trample on that holy grail if ye know what's good fer ye. So my puttin forth from the Good book ain't nothing really new on this site.

On topic,glad to see an unselfish player seeing his opportunities to help team and himself.

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Blahhh blahh bablahh blahh UT bad, Dooley bad. Blahhh bablahh, Fulmer, blahhh UT bad blahhh blahhhhhhh….

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

?????

kcbigorngX writes:

Mr. Anderson might just become a good possession receiver. As someone mentioned before, this is a position that we are truly in need of...and it takes a tough, selfless man to fill that spot.

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

You are a flippin idiot. One of the all time dumbest posts on GVX history.

516milesfromUT writes:

I hope he get at least a TD grab. I will pull for him. His interview put a smile on my face.He is all class, & a very nice young man.I don't care who you are, This man should move to WR position yo help with the younger guys, & even if he is just their motivation, and role model, couldn't be better off then.

You are all Vol young man. BGO.
-T-