UT out of tolerance for Janzen Jackson

Embattled DB dismissed

Derek Dooley addresses Janzen Jackson's dismissal

The turbulent career of Janzen Jackson at Tennessee is over.

Less than two months since the junior safety returned to the program after leaving to deal with personal issues and 24 hours after Derek Dooley reiterated a zero-tolerance policy for him to stay in it, the Vols coach announced the dismissal of Jackson.

No specific reason was provided on Wednesday by Dooley. But multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation but not authorized to speak publicly about it confirmed to the News Sentinel that Jackson dealt with substance abuse problems during his time with the Vols, which appear to have been a factor in his withdrawal from UT in the spring prior to his return in July.

Citing privacy laws, UT could not confirm nor deny an ESPN.com report that Jackson failed drug tests, but his status with the team clearly changed at some point following public comments Dooley made on Tuesday morning and an official statement released one day later.

"It was hard," Dooley said after Wednesday night's mock game at Neyland Stadium. "When you're a coach, when you're a parent, the toughest form of love is tough love. That's the hardest kind of love to dish out to a young person, it's tough love. As parents, we hate seeing our kids in pain, we hate seeing our kids cry and hurt, but sometimes that's an important part of their growth, the pain.

"Was it difficult? Yes. But my responsibility is to this organization, and my responsibility is to these young people. I think the decision we made was in the best interest of both."

Dooley spent plenty of time trying to allow Jackson to continue to be part of both groups, but regardless of all the support and the weekly meetings that produced a deep bond between the two, the relationship is no longer officially that of a coach and player.

Jackson spent time away from the program throughout spring and the first session of summer school dealing with undisclosed personal problems in hopes of coming back for another season with the program. And It looked like Jackson was going to get one as camp progressed, with positive reviews for his on-field performance from the coaching staff and Dooley also indicating he had been doing all the right things to stick around for the Vols.

That apparently changed quickly with a violation of the policy Dooley put in place for him, ending a career that included 23 games, 106 tackles and six interceptions as an invaluable weapon at the back of the UT defense.

"I don't want to get into the details of it," Dooley said. "I'd rather not. It's been a long drama. I'm still here for Janzen, and he knows it. He may not want me to be, but I'm there.

"Of course, I sat there and thought about a million things that maybe I could have done different (to help). At the end of the day, you do what you think is best and ultimately it's up to the young person to either follow your lead or choose not to."

Jackson is heading down a different road than originally planned when he spurned LSU at the last minute to sign with the Vols in 2009, and he's taking some impressive credentials with him.

And while his resume includes second-team All-SEC honors from the coaches as a sophomore and the same preseason honor from the media this summer, it also has multiple suspensions and a role in a highly publicized attempted armed robbery even though ultimately his charges were dropped.

"I think it was a warning that Coach Dooley is not playing," senior Tauren Poole said. "He's about his business, that if you're going to do something, you've got to think about this organization's reputation. You're representing something big, it's bigger than me, bigger than us, bigger than coach. This program is going to be here after us, and we've got to make sure we're doing it the right way.

"Guys that aren't doing that, he's going to get rid of them."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

utdanman writes:

I hate it for Janzen. It's not easy following the straight and narrow but hopefully others will learn from your mistakes. I wish the best for you Janzen.

zigvol writes:

Well said Tauren Poole...

LJS1984 writes:

If Janzen's substance abuse problems are the reason for his dismissal as ESPN is reporting, then he has a major problem. Janzen had the world at his hands but according to sources an illegal herb was more important to him than his teammates and the millions of dollars he stood to make in the NFL. That's the sad part in all of this, if true, he passed up the glory of playing in the SEC for sticky plant. I hate to say it, but he's let everybody down and if he did fail a drug test then he's got a whole lot of work to do in his life. Anybody that would give up everything he just did will not be trusted by many NFL teams. I hope he turns it around, but he had every opportunity in the world at Tennessee and has disappointed many people.

givehim6 writes:

Hope he is not heading the same path as "NUKE" Richerson.

VolAlum03ISBACK (Inactive) writes:

Lets just go ahead and get rid of everyone that Kiffin recruited. That guy was an absolute plague on this program. How ironic is it that Daniel Hood now looks like Kiffin's strongest recruit when it comes to character?

LJS1984 writes:

in response to LJS1984:

P.S. I do not always believe everything ESPN says, but something happened between Tuesday and Wednesday that totally changed things for Janzen and Tennessee. I feel bad for Janzen and the Vols, but 24 hours is a quick turnaround on something like this. Hopefully, Janzen gets his life turned around at North Alabama.

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to LJS1984:

Well said. So many of these young kids think "I can quit whenever I want to". Look how it affected Ricky Williams.

RaineyVol writes:

As bad as it is to see such a good player go, I have a lot of respect for coach Dooley now. Tauren Poole said it best! GBO

MtJ_Orange writes:

I'm ready to see some of the new recruits play next Saturday. Hopefully the team will learn from JJ's mistakes.

lavette12389 writes:

im excited to see how our JC DBs play. so now after this unfortunate incident, Byron Moore or even Izauea Lanier might get a shot at FS and allow Waggner to play his true position

seaplane#216536 writes:

Sad loss this late in the game. He crossed the line and failed to weigh the consequences. The lack of self discipline will haunt him in his future life. Reversal is not in his game plan.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to LJS1984:

Perhaps he simply flunked out in the classroom. He will be ok and in the NFL.

off_the_porch writes:

IMO Jackson played Dooley for a fool, along with the rest of the team. Dooley is embarrassed that he gave him so many breaks to see Jackson do this. Coach Dooley had spent way too much time with this guy and then see Jackson not get right.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

I don't believe in curses.

We've had a rough stretch, but I firmly believe it was because of a lack of leadership. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The big boys don't stay down: Tennessee, Ohio State, Nebraska, Oklahoma. My primary example is Michigan: Rich Rod ran the program into the ground, but they had too much money, too much tradition to stay down. The funny thing is: while they're trying to get Harbaugh and Les, Brady Hoke was the man with the plan. This guy has recruited one of the top classes in the country. We are Tennessee. We've got too much money. We've got too much tradition. Our Stadium is too big. Our fan base is too strong.

Derek Dooley has a plan, and the dismissal of Janzen Jackson highlights his commitment to that plan. Look at the way he handled the situation: he recruited and coached expecting Jackson to let us down. If the recent success on the recruiting trail hasn't sold you on Dooley, his commitment to the plan should do it for you. We're in good hands with Dooley.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

A moron with a blog? It's silly opinionated rubbish.

MGVOL22 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

I believe we should all stop commenting on CSS...Reason being, I think he truly has to take a cold shower afterwards. More than likely he (or she, who knows) gets off on people replying to his/her posts. I would say CSS is just a lonely person that needs us to interact with him/her .... So I say lets start a ban from replying to CSS and maybe he/she will wither away

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to off_the_porch:

If your opinion were true, then Janzen would be the one better off today. Instead, Janzen is gone from the University, gone from playing football in the SEC, and gone from any hopes and dreams of playing football at this level.

Oenoboy writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

OK...we're all sorry. Sorry you don't have a life. Sorry you pathetically cling to this site as your only social outlet and waste our time spewing your ignorant dribble over and over again like a broken record.

How about moving on and perhaps finding a site that actually fits what you're a fan of. Then you could actually send out positive messages into the world and not negativity.

Get it? Or...is that above your mental midget mentality?

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to MGVOL22:

Just hit suggest removal people. Then noone can see his comments thus noone will comment and his motive will be lost. I do it everytime I see him post. Again SUGGEST REMOVAL!

flatrock writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

I get from your rantings that you know a great deal about being third-string.

Colliervol writes:

in response to MGVOL22:

Are you saying he/she/it has masochistic tendencies? Those Vandy folks are a kinky lot.

maciste54 writes:

I just hope Jackson doesn't become another statistic ! If the problem is drugs then he needs serious help and I wonder if the resources will be available. The football team is the least important thing here. A life is at stake as Vol fans have had demonstrated graphically recently !

Docrok writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

I don't believe in curses.

Besides Clay Travis is more of sensationalist writer than a knowledgeable sports guy! I could use other analogies but I will keep it polite.

Colliervol writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

King of the Duh Comment. Everybody knew JJ had problems. That was clear from his erratic behavior since he got to campus. I would agree that if he failed more than one test, he got too many chances but, again, that's Dooley's decision, not yours or mine. (And you don't have a clue how many he failed.)

Your argument on Dooley needing him badly is hollow. If Dooley needed him that badly, Jackson would still be on the team. (See Houston Nutt or Urban Meyer or Phil Fulmer for selective or opportunistic punishment.) So far, every article or pundit I've seen has praised Dooley for decisive action. Since you are the only one who is castigating Dooley, well, that speaks for itself. Just another in a long line of shallow and unintelligent comments.

Oh yeah. One more little item. With JJ being dismissed, that put the coup de grace on your "Dynasty Builder's" recruiting class from his one year at UT. Sort of tells you the type of kid he was recruiting and I'm sure the same thing will occur at USC.

arkyvol writes:

sometimes an athlete's physical abilities are so phenomenal they can blind you to the fact that he or she is a total bust as a human being. but, in competitive athletics, you aren't asked how. its how many.

Docrok writes:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

On a previous post he mentioned having a son that was going to Vandy and brought up the enrollment. I am not saying he is lying but seems odd one son was a senior at UT last year and one enrolling in Vandy??????

NOthgif writes:

Now you know why the trio robbed those young men...They were trying to score some DRUGS!!!!!!! Plain and simple. You are better off without him! Fight ON!

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Who is this "noone" guy and how come he can see posts the rest of us can't see? Just askin.....

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

Cantstandsaban...Beside of any post there is a suggest removal button. When a certain amount of people hit that the site staff will remove the comment. Get it now? GBO!!!

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to VolAlum03ISBACK:

Better add Marsalis Teague to your list of Kiffin recruits with character. He's a Dean's List student and he survived being NuKeese's roommate as a freshman. The last part alone is a major feat.

volcycle writes:

in response to VolAlum03ISBACK:

Are you sure you want to get rid of Tyler Bray and Jacques Smith?

UTKin1992 writes:

I'm overjoyed at this dismissal!

It showed that the University of Tennessee is bigger than one athlete - regardless of how good he/she is.

THAT is what built UT football tradition!

Colliervol writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Again, everybody that I've read or heard is praising Dooley and you are the only one who isn't. That tells us all we need to know about your opinion. Unnecessary and irrelevant. Next subject.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Congratulations, you appear to be right this time. Jolly good for you, would you like a cookie for your troubles?

Does this mean we can really get on your case regarding all the topics that you've been completely wrong about? Where shall we begin? Sheeeez...

agentorange writes:

Tauren Poole at least received the message.

Tru138 writes:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

Be careful what you say about puddin's wife. I made a comment yesterday about his pinball wizard, puddin got his feelings hurt and my post got poofed.

Colliervol writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

Who are you talking about? That goof hasn't been right about a single topic since he appeared on here. His opinion doesn't qualify on this topic either and his track record remains perfect.

Volunatic writes:

in response to LJS1984:

Or Hampton.
(He's too old to transfer to Oregon, though. I'm guessing he will want to play one season-- anywhere-- and then go to the NFL.)

alfrizzle097 writes:

in response to Oenoboy:

Get it? Or...is that above your mental midget mentality?

He brings a contentious tone and somewhat negative outlook, but CSS normally follows his statements with some sort of logic (whether you agree or not)which is more than can be said of most on this website.

Calling his statements ignorant dribble without making a structured rebuttle doesn't hold any water, nor does telling him he has no life (ironic when you're also posting on this board) bolster your argument.

Let's face it. The vast majority of athletes that face discipline issues within sports programs have a problem with alcohol, marijuana, or prescription drugs. That isn't stereotyping athletes because quite frankly it applies to the student body as a whole. Marijuana and alcohol abuse is much wider spread than anyone in the administration wants to admit.

Volunatic writes:

in response to RaineyVol:

I agree. This should send a strong message to players (and a great message to parents of future recruits, too).

Volunatic writes:

in response to Colliervol:

florida allowed five failed drug tests before dismissal during the urban meyer years. I would bet the ranch that percy harvin got more chances than that.
Most SEC schools, including Tennessee, allow three failed drug tests before dismissal.

Colliervol writes:

in response to alfrizzle097:

Just to be clear about css and his comments, that would be "ignorant drivel". Let's keep our descriptions accurate.

"Structured rebuttal" to an opposing fan with an obvious agenda? Are you kidding? You might as well be trying to sell a book on coaching ethics to Lane Kiffen.

Volunatic writes:

in response to NOthgif:

I have wondered whether that was a robbery at all, or just a drug deal gone bad.
The reaction of the "victims" always seemed odd.

Volunatic writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

Good point. Also, kiffin deserves credit for recruiting the guys who enrolled the day after he left, including Tyler Bray, Jawuan James, Corey Miller, and Jacques Smith.
I really don't want to get rid of those guys for just being associated with kiffin's recruiting.

Volunatic writes:

in response to volcycle:

Are you sure you want to get rid of Tyler Bray and Jacques Smith?

What VolCycle said...

Volunatic writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Good work, sir.

Packer_Park_Orange (Inactive) writes:

in response to Volunatic:

All this silly talk about Dooley caring about character and education. Are you all still reading Jack Armstrong books from the Jr. High library?

Ther's no such thing as education or character in Division I coaching at UT or anywhere else.

There's only eligibility maintenance.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Perhaps he simply flunked out in the classroom. He will be ok and in the NFL.

There are no reported grades for three days of class. So he didn't have a class room problem unless it was a no show. Don't care what the problem was, I hurt for the kid. This time next he could have been a Multi M. dollar man. He may still be but I don't think so. What team i going to draft him very high when he couldn't keep things straight for a week?

Colliervol writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Good work, sir.

Thanks. But I'm growing weary of beating css around like a rented mule every day. Time to move on to something more challenging.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

You don’t report truth… you report your overly biased opinion.

What kind of coach would you be if you didn’t help a player with a problem?!? DD showed a willingness to help this kid, but that doesn’t come without a price… the kid has to agree to the guidelines you put in place in exchange for that help. He didn’t live up to his end of the bargain and he was booted… period!

Perhaps we should have a zero tolerance policy regarding your posts.