UT vs. UConn on CBS on Jan. 21

National-champion Connecticut's Jan. 21 visit to Tennessee has been set for a 4 p.m. tipoff.

CBS will televise the men's basketball game at Thompson-Boling Arena, pitting Cuonzo Martin's first UT squad against coach Jim Calhoun and the defending NCAA tournament champions.

The Vols announced their 2011-12 schedule last week. Several tipoff times remain to be set.

The UConn game is the first to be picked up by CBS.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

A_Voice_ofReason writes:

By then the team will be 3-4 games under .500 so it won't even matter.

garycg writes:

in response to A_Voice_ofReason:

By then the team will be 3-4 games under .500 so it won't even matter.

wow, you should play the lottery

Volunatic writes:

in response to A_Voice_ofReason:

By then the team will be 3-4 games under .500 so it won't even matter.

Now, now, V_O_R-- UConn won't be that bad.
(BTW-- you need to check back on the Latrell Scott article for the definition of "corch".)

tennrich1 writes:

in response to A_Voice_ofReason:

By then the team will be 3-4 games under .500 so it won't even matter.

Shouldn't that be "A_Voice_ofTreason

Millisa writes:

Coach Summitt needs to coach this game.

HtownVol writes:

I imagine UCONN will not be near as good as last season without Kimba, however I do expect UCONN to have the one factor that UT may have a very hard time stopping (A True Center)
I hope for the best but every time I think about the basketball season I cant stop the worry of our lack of a big man. Kenny Hall vs a 6'11 260 Center... Or even worse, if Maymon is in the paint, alone with a player of that size.
I know one of the two big Freshmen are a bit taller but we can not expect much from them.
Also, who is the go to scorer for UT? Tatum is more inconsistant than Hopson, Golden is the last player I want to see taking a lot of shots, McRae played a total of what ten minutes last season<Woolridge is still rapping about his 3-4 made shots vs Kansas 2 years ago (highlight of his career).

The good news is perhaps with no more worry of a post season ban or scholarship reductions that CCM will be able to start bringing some 4-5 star recruits that we hope can live up to that ranking (Harris).

GO VOLS

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS

No doubt defending the post figures to be a challenge against some teams, and UConn is surely one of them, but the fact is that there just aren't that many classic, back-to-the-basket, low-post-scoring centers in the game today. Nearly all players of that physical type these days want to develop their mid-range game more than they do their low-post power game. Various team defensive tactics can usually neutralize the comparatively few who try to play that game. In any case, UConn IS the defending national champion, so that game figured to be an uphill struggle anyway.

Besides, you speak of "two freshman big men". I assume one of them is Dwight Miller. He is NOT a freshman, he is in fact a third-year player who began at Purdue and then played a year in JC before coming here. He hasn't put up great stats but he is a physically-mature 6'8" and 240 pounds and will NOT be overwhelmed by many of today's big men. If he can play sound position defense without fouling too much, that would be a valuable contribution all by itself.

Also, while I agree that the players you mentioned by name didn't exactly light it up last year, most of them were no more than bit players on a team dominated by seniors and early-departure-type players. One problem with recruiting 4- and 5-star type players is that they have always been used to being "the man", not scrambling for limited minutes as subs. Now that they know the team will be depending on them and that they will HAVE to produce while playing major minutes, I think their production will go way up.

In all, I am not prepared right now to write off the season altogether, as so many more pessimistic fans seem ready to do. Martin seems to be a kind of guy who has always fought against the odds with good success. I think he will create an "us-against-them" mentality on the team that will produce better results than a simple reading of returning statistics would indicate.

As for the future, I also agree that the lifting of the NCAA cloud will go a long way toward improving the caliber of player who will listen closely to CCM's sales pitch, especially if the team performs beyond expectation this season.

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Don't know how you got that, since the first sentence says "Connecticut's Jan. 21 visit to Tennessee". Maybe it didn't say that when you read it; these articles sometimes change after they are originally posted. Besides, the ones who write the headlines are usually not the ones who write the articles and sometimes they get stuff wrong.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

I have always hated UCONN!! But I really don't know why.

mocsandvolsfan writes: