Vols struggle with crowd noise at Wednesday's practice

Vols football practice - Aug. 31, 2011

Everything from Guns N' Roses to Bob Marley blared over the loudspeakers at Wednesday's practice, as Tennessee prepared for the crowd noise that will engulf Neyland Stadium on Saturday.

Coach Derek Dooley wasn't exactly thrilled with how the Vols handled the distraction.

"We had a lot of rat-trapping," Dooley said. "Made a lot of mistakes. A lot of the noise gets you thinking. Good thing we've got another day to try to polish it up. Went out there and tried to create a little chaos for the young guys, and that's what it looked like.

"That's why we have an extra day, and hopefully we can polish it up."

With a starting lineup that will boast three freshmen on defense and eight sophomores on offense Saturday against Montana (TV: Pay-per-view, 6 p.m.), Dooley said he wasn't surprised by the "chaos."

"It's that line," he said. "You don't get disappointed if you (don't) expect them to come out there and be perfect when the crowd noise hits. I knew what would happen."

Wide receiver Justin Hunter wore a red, non-contact jersey as a precautionary measure. Dooley did not specify why Hunter needed the extra protection, but stressed that it was nothing serious.

Recently converted wide receiver Naz Oliver did not practice.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CoverOrange writes:

Bob Marley? No wonder everyone was distracted, they were so mellow.

Down_The_Field writes:

VOLS break the huddle and come to the line..ball at the 45......bray under center....I formation....pitch to poole.....big hole on the right side.... studer step left and breaks to the outside.....poole breaks a tackle at the 50.....one man to beat.....40....35.....30....25.....20.....15 .....10......5.....and into the checker board...TOUCHDOWN.....BIG ORANGE!!!!

The_Real_Orange writes:

Piped in noise can't compare to the noise they will hear in 3 weeks when they visit the Swamp for loss number 7 in a row.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

Miley Cyrus?

BigBadVol writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

Man I hope you are right!

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Miley Cyrus?

Maybe some of that TN achey breaky heart just for the visitors.

allvols4life writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

Only 14 minutes after the story is posted you comment and you are a Florida fan? Hmmm...someone must be worried about the VOLS to be on here that much. Come back in 3 weeks and talk your stuff, IF the Gators win.

allvols4life writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

John Ward is the all-time greatest football or basketball play by play guy! I blame him for our slide in football. Think about it. His last year on the radio was our last championship year. HA...just kidding. Man, I loved hearing him call the games.

jack_2222#231746 writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

That's assuming Charlie Weiss don't eat the swamp by then.

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

in response to allvols4life:

Great observation!

Bigger_Al writes:

Betcha Weiss doesn't get in Brantley's face all season long. That's because if he tried, he'd "Sumo-bump" Brantley onto his backside.

Bleed_Orange_n_Ky writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

Give him six + TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE!!!

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to jack_2222#231746:

That's assuming Charlie Weiss don't eat the swamp by then.

If he and Chaney decide to go to the same buffet they better bring in a few extra loads of food. Maybe the two most overweight OCs to face each other in a game.

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to allvols4life:

My 2 favorite pastimes are CFB and deer hunting. Being as I can't start hunting for two more weeks, I visit a lot of sports sites. KNS has one or the best sites for updating on SEC sports. Quit giving the Vols so much credit, they aren't a big deal on the national scene anymore. Time will tell which of our teams returns to being a contender first.

VolAholic_12 writes:

Personally, I've never really cared for the "into the checkerboard" after touchdowns. Kesling should have just left it with "Touchdown Tennessee" or "Touchdown Big Orange". Nothing is going to be better than John Ward's "Give him six" though. But as long as we're scoring touchdowns, I suppose it doesn't matter.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Vols,

Seems this copy cat name/troll is the one who is worried. Just as soon as anything is posted on GoVolsExtra.......about Tennessee, in crawls the
band of Bodeane/CSS/WDD/ lurkers.

Once again Vol fans......they're just here to do their thing.....be obnoxious. We can enjoy being at the stadium knowing they'll never show themselves there. If these clowns did show.......you can safely wager they'd be quietly suffering as the Vols roll on to victory.

Digital5000 writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

PennVol writes:

What is rat trapping? Apparently it ain't a good thing.

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to FLVOL69:

And true Vol fans don't run their mouth like you because they know they haven't been relevant since they made the decision to fire Fulmer. I have been a Gator fan since I was old enough to know what football was. That's the main reason the team I always want to beat the most is the Dawgs. I was a fan when they owned the rivalry. I have every intention of enjoying the dominance we have had over UGA and UT. Have to enjoy it while it lasts.....we might never have another run like the last 25 years. Just saying....

Digital5000 writes:

Here you go again.

Gross

-Enjoy Yoself

givehim6 writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

Bring back John! Would love to here him call 1 more game.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Hey "real" Orange:

We love that you are running scared. We love that you hunt deer in your wife beater t shirt. We love that the Florida Tourism Board shudders when it thinks that tourists may ever venture further than 10 miles inland and may see just what a redneck, trailer home hugging, Cops starring, sister in law sleeping with, brawling, PBR swilling existence you really live in. There are many parts of Florida that I love, but don't you ever cast aspersions our way, because we can go all day. I've been to 4 games there when we were warned not to. I liked the Purple Porpoise in Gainsville and had a great time with real Florida fans who couldn't wait to buy us drinks after we forced Steve (I wish Tennesseans really appreciated me) Spurrier into early retirement and exit to DC. We get it. You think we are almost back. And it's not just you. There are many like you. We like that. Your day in the sun is over, as least as far as we will have any say in the manner. We deserve to beat you 10 times in a row. Because you think 20 years is history. Before 1980 you were Kentucky. Remember? We do, and just like Alabama, who we beat 8 of 9 times, and Georgia, who we beat 9 times in a row, your time is at hand. So hire another Three Stooges look alike...Hire 5 of them. We keep signing players from Frostproof. And many other parts of Florida. And they are not your rejects. How did you let Palardy out of the State? Answer that one, genius. We welcome divergent opinions when your show proper restraint. If you do not, You will be run off. You won't be the first....Trust us on this one. Other than that, welcome to Big Orange Country. Get on board if you want to. We have a lot to like. Go big Orange. Go big or go home...

VolAholic_12 writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

Frankly, true Vol fans are looking forward to football season being upon us. Based on your idiotic posts, it's clear that you don't know enough about college football to make any constructive comment. It's probably safe to say your more looking forward to hunting season. Leave the football discussions to posters who know something about the subject.

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Silly little Naval, if you are going to get all tough, maybe you should learn to read a little better. My last sentence said time will tell WHICH team will return to being a contender again. That means I think NEITHER of us are on the "national scene". If you're going to be the PoPo, you need to read better. Just saying ....

bigjvol22 writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

florida aint all tht great this year so i thank we might have a chance

moose65 writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

Man I miss John Ward! Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Wrong again, but what's new? Still have only had 2 screen names. Guess you have probably had more. And I was a fan when my Gators went 0-10-1 in 1979, so I fully intend to enjoy the run we have had since the conference expanded in '92. That 93-96 title run may never be duplicated.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

"Old enough to know what football was."
Hmmm So you are going to start supporting FL next year>

bigjvol22 writes:

even if we r gonna loose i still cant wait till cfb season ..... GBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigjvol22 writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH BUT NEYLAN IS JUST AS LOUD IF NOT LOUDER THAN THE swamp

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to bigjvol22:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH BUT NEYLAN IS JUST AS LOUD IF NOT LOUDER THAN THE swamp

I agree and would make the same statement I made about the swamp. You can't pipe in noise to simulate the experience of game day in front of 90,000 opposing fans.

Tau_of_Tennessee writes:

Speaking of noise, I think it would be cool to have a little “Welcome to Jungle” by G&R to start the second half as the UT band marches back to their section. Don’t want to infringe on The Pride of Southland Band’s domain though so would that be wrong?

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Speaking of acting like Jr High idiots. You are the king of that. I haven't seen a post of yours that brought anything to the conversation and when you are wrong you just call other people liars. I was "gator4life" and now the real orange. You are an insecure punk! Just saying....

VolAholic_12 writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

Enough already. I'm sure there must be an article on the Field and Stream website you can post comments to. Can you please go over there? And while your at it, you probably should change your screen name to "idiot4life."

UTbassdrummer writes:

Noise conditioning is a really good idea, especially in the SEC. Fans should also know to STFU when your team is on offense calling plays. Noise is so important, but only on defense and between plays.
Marching in the band at UT (98-01) I can also vouch for the fact that there is no healthy way to accurately simulate the amount of volume directed at the field. It is BRUTAL. But a practice tackle also isn't as brutal as a real tackle, so any conditioning helps, but can't fully prepare them.

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

I was at that Putrid Dump of a Stadium you call the swamp in 2001 and 2003. Quitest bunch of Jort-Folk I have heard in a While. Not sure why they built what looks like the Great Wall of China inside that Cesspool and Panited it Blue. I have been to All SEC stadiums except LSU and the Swamp is the biggest Dump I have ever seen. Vandy has it beat. The only thing that can't be duplicated is Jersey native fan base that makes up most Of Jortsvilles 20 year Traditon.

suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts writes:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Instead suggest removal of ALL of there POSTS!!

According to the TOS "abusive" remarks are a violation.

abusive (əˈbjuːsɪv)

— adj

1. characterized by insulting or coarse language

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to VolAholic_12:

Sorry to tell you, but Field and Stream is for city boys that dream of hunting. Its a useless magazine for most outdoors guys. Not sure how a post where I stated that you can't simulate. SEC crowd noise by piping in music got some of you so riled up. Guess that's what happens when your "rival" has beat you so regular. Have a great day Vol fans......time for a little high school volleyball now. You know, kids to watch and such.

allvol32 writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

You trolls can say whatever you want but the fact that you morons post your negative sputum on here around the clock makes it obvious that you schlubs are obsessed with UT. You love to post offensive things hiding behind the skirts of internet anonymity but come on down to Neyland this weekend and try saying that stuff face to face with Vol fans. Nah, that ain't about to happen.

Tru138 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

And who was right behind Tennessee? Florida State and........go ahead, you can say it......that's right, Florida. Third most disappointing team in the last ten year IN SPITE of their NC in 06 and 08. Two NC's couldn't pull them from the bottom.

NOthgif writes:

After a couple of series on both offense and defense they will adjust and do fine. Fight ON!

gatorknox writes:

in response to FLVOL69:

FLVOL69, while I respect your opinion, it's just that. A beatdown of a God awful Gator team hardly blemishes the 7 in row that we put on them, most of which were utter beatdowns. But if it makes you feel better, that same team with butter fingered scared little rabbit Brantley seemed to handle the almighty, on the rise Vols with ease by two touchdowns. It's simple, until you beat us, you history is your future! Talk to you after 9-17-11.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Navalorange, the only reason the Gator trolls come on here is to taunt Vol fans..Maybe they will be SHUT UP the third Sat. in Sept..Until then, don't let them get to you..I know it's difficult to tolerate, but there is no way to rid this site of trolls..As much as I would like it..Just relax and take it easy and don't stress out over it..Now, let's talk some football..Any predicts for the game on Sat.???

Smokey says focus on the Vols, don't worry about the Gator trolls..

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

If UT is such a laughing stock then why your obsession with the Vols

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Just trying to help a fellow Vol fan, that's all..Enjoy the game!!

HallowedHill writes:

Too bad JJ wasn't around to hear the Marley at practice.

KiwiLuvsUT writes:

I find it funny that its just the Florida trolls. Someone must be worried about being ranked under us in the SEC ranks this season and losing to us. Hahaha that gave me joy to think that maybe just maybe that will happen.
Fight on Vols! Come on boys lets beat these TROLLS and show them whose gonna be the come back team!
Go Big Orange!
See you Saturday:)

kman29 writes:

in response to FLVOL69:

I keep hearing all these Vol fans like yourself continually say how soon all the Gator fans will be FSU fans, yet it's Vol fan who continually references FSU. Could it be that maybe Vol fan is the one who has now jumped to being FSU fans? You all certainly bring them up enough.

kman29 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

First off, it was an 8-5 record and secondly, uh yeah they are still on the "national scene" or did you not catch the ESPN all access covering the Florida Program on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU for an entire day earlier this month? Don't be mad that while Florida's first game is on the ESPN family of networks, Tennessee will be on PPV.

volinky writes:

If you watch (and listen) to the video above, you will hear Dooley during a dropped pass by Justin Hunter. I am disappointed in Coach Dooley's language. I know all coaches allegedly use this level of profanity, but, I am still disappointed. He's not the guy I thought (or hoped) he was, and I never played college football (or high-school for that matter!) and am sure it is tough environment. GO VOLS!