UT gets verbal commitment from Travon Landry

Tennessee recruit Jarnell Stokes, a five star prospect from Memphis Southwind High School, attended the game against Pittsburgh at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, ©KNS/2011

Tennessee ended Saturday by scoring a victory in the recruiting circles, landing a verbal commitment from point guard Travon Landry of Madison, Ala.

The 6-foot Landry, who attends Bob Jones High School and is rated as a three-star prospect by Rivals.com, chose UT over Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.

Landry is the Vols first commitment in the Class of 2013.

The Vols also got a visit from Jarnell Stokes of Memphis Southwind High School. Stokes is a 6-8, 255-pound power forward who is ranked No. 11 in the Class of 2012 by Rivals.com. Memphis, Florida, Arkansas and Kentucky have also been recruiting Stokes.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

Thats awesome news! I am confident Stokes' commitment is also soon to follow.

We are maybe a player away from being very very dangerous. I trust in Cuonzo.

Go Vols!

lomas98 writes:

Never have been sure how serious stokes is about Tennessee, but I think this is his second time on campus as he was here during football game as well. Would be a huge get if Martin could reel him in. Still think he will choose Memphis. Pearl was able to generate a lot of interest in 5 star players but only got Hopson and Harris in his 6 years. Please don't judge Martin if he doesn't land stokes.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to lomas98:

I know FOR SURE Stokes wants to leave Memphis but may not by default...I believe if he does leave Arkansas is the team to beat....Do I wish the Vols could land him? Absolutely. He would be a SUPERSTAR here in the motion offense in my opinion...but we have contrasting styles...Memphis dribble driver, Arkansas's forty minutes of "heck" so on so on....Hopefully Willie his father wont get in the way though...certainly a concern...

Bigger_Al writes:

Wow. An Alabama guy picking us over UA and AU.

tree_em_smokey writes:

Wow!! I thought the article was about Travon Landry not Jarnell Stokes..... Anyway I am glad we landed this guy! He wants to be a part of the program hence our great victorious record early this season hasn't woowed him. Patience Vol fans, Martin is the right guy for the job. GBO!!!

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

I don't follow bball recruiting as closely as football, so when I read over this article, I scanned down to the offers from other teams. I saw Alabama, Auburn, and Texas Tech and said to myself, "That's great! UT football needs a victory right now." Then I saw the word "point guard" and it broke my heart a little. Still...the guy looks stout.

lomas98 writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Yep! It was About Landry committing and stokes was here too. Picture was of stokes in the article on Landry. Lighten up.

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to lomas98:

I am light. I'm 6' 10" but I'm only 75 lbs. Pearl offered me a scholarship, but when I went to one of his BBQ's and ate 6 plates of food and didn't gain a pound he withdrew the scholly!!!

Volborn writes:

Cuonzo, don't take him to a BBQ for another year.

born2ride writes:

What is Landry ranked at Rivals and Scout?

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

and just think, you came up with that all by yourself

pathetic

AirForceVol2786 writes:

Said hi to Jarnell yesterday as I was leaving the ball game. I said "Were just one player away, if you come to UT we would destroy teams like Pitt" he smiled and said "Yeah it was fun, so we will see man. Im suprised any of the fans around here knew who I was!" I thought it was funny, he didnt give us much credit as basketball fans.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to born2ride:

What is Landry ranked at Rivals and Scout?

born2beajerk why don't you at least read the articles before posting your negative bs. The article says he is rated a 3 star by rivals

mocsandvolsfan writes:

All good!

vol_4_fan writes:

CCM is the right guy for this job. All though we have let a few chances slip away so far. Who thought we had a chance to start with? Go Vols!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to born2ride:

What is Landry ranked at Rivals and Scout?

Who cares?
He has offers from AU, UA and Vandy and they all have some pretty good coaches plus if Vandy is offering the kid is pretty smart!!!

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Really Mitchell?

sambad writes:

Stokes has a great friend on the football roster.

BolivrBob writes:

in response to EightLetters:

You're prolly right 8

VOL1972 writes:

in response to lomas98:

Too late. I have already judged Martin. I have to admit, however, I was convinced all Martin recruited was 3 star players. It is encouraging to see he is at least making an attempt to recruit higher ranked players.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

I feel sorry for this kid from alabama beings thats where i live and he goes to school with my nephew im going to try and talk to him,Martin is not a sec coach,he'd be better off going somewhere eleseIm a diehard Vol fan but i hate to see Martin ruin these kids

HtownVol writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

while you are at it go ahead and record that conversation and prove it to us.

ahh, just take a pic of you standing within 50 feet of him.

Oh, go on and explain why Martin is not good enough.

I am as critical as anyone on UT coaches but I think UT got a great one in Martin.

I knew going into the season that UT would not win many games and Martin can not do much about that.

UT has NO SIZE! Pitt was able to gather any rebound they wanted.

Kenny Hall does not belong as a starting 5. He is way too small and he has to take 3-4 steps in order to get his shot.

UT will have a very hard time winning in the SEC because we just cant do anything vs big guys.

What I look at with Martin is how much better he has made players.

Trae Golden last season was the last player (besides SP) that I ever wanted to take a shot. Now Trae is our best scorer.

Maymon is so much better
McRae is better
Tatum is more consistant
Even Woolridge looks like he has a small amount of skill.

C Martin is able to get the most out of players and that will make him succesful.

UT just has to GET SOME SIZE!!!!
And cut out the bad shots, at times they take very bad shots and it hurts a lot.

Oh and McBee can not guard ANYONE!!! His jumper is not good enough to overcome his zero defense.

GO VOLS

Ironcity writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

Strange comment based on what? This is a good pick up for UT. we are in need of another PG.

HtownVol writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I wouldnt say another PG, just scorers and a CENTER!!!!!!

Golden is the star of the team for 2 1/2 more years.

Washpun is the most sthletic player on the team and can be a great defender, he needs to become a better scorer.

We have a Fr and So PG, so this kid coming in 2013 is great.

I can not say it enough, UT NEEDS SOME SIZE!!!

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to EightLetters:

NBA scouts don't just watch television, you know. They have no problem traveling to see a player in person. And UT is not in the basketball wilderness, they are on TV a lot (maybe more than Memphis). And I don't know why anyone would think Pastner can prepare one for the NBA better than Martin, who played big-time college b-ball and also had an NBA career. Pastner has yet to establish himself as a noteworthy coach yet. Calimari, on the other hand....

If he wants to stay home, its Memphis. If he wants to win championships, its Kentucky. If he wants to be the definite star on the roster, it could be UT. Depends on what he wants.

Dexter writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

"Dude", I don't know what you think you heard on 560, but JS is a 4.0 plus student set to graduate early (this month) if he wants to. And they never said he had credit issues on 560.

He never attended "that Academy" for a day, so why would he have issues with credits from there? He went to Central HS for 3 years, and now attends Southwind HS. He is ineligible to play this year because of Memphis high school transfer rules, not grades.

I have never heard from anyone but you that he would have to attend a JUCO. He will never spend a day in JUCO.

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

If Landry is dumb enough to pay attention to anything you say, we don't want him. I don't know how you can call yourself a diehard Vol fan since you never have anything good to say about them--EVER! Besides, how in the WORLD can you say Martin is "ruining" these players. This season, Golden, McRae, and Maymon are MILES better than they showed under Pearl. Even Woolridge is slightly better; Tatum and Hall are certainly no worse. If there were an IQ test to post on this board, you wouldn't even be allowed to turn on your computer.

Ironcity writes:

in response to HtownVol:

I wouldnt say another PG, just scorers and a CENTER!!!!!!

Golden is the star of the team for 2 1/2 more years.

We have a Fr and So PG, so this kid coming in 2013 is great.

I can not say it enough, UT NEEDS SOME SIZE!!!

I don't know if Washpun can run the offense. They look disfunctional when he is out their. Additionally I think Golden may be better as a two guard in the future with his scoring ability. That said their is no doubt we need a center.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Trying to stoke a fire, huh? The guy is graduating Dec. and is considering an academic scholarship to Memphis because they don't have an early scholly to give.He wants to play beginning in January. They guy is super sharp in the classroom.

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

and just think, you came up with that all by yourself

pathetic

Cry if you want to. I have no ill will toward Pearl....just trying to keep it light but evidently you are not in a good mood. GBO!!!

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Look for Stokes to get enroll in college in January. With all the issues he has had in Memphis in wanting to play at Southwind instead of Central look for him to want to get out of Memphis.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Disagree.From what I see Washpun doesn't turn it over. He is steady at the point. His weakness is he can't contribute offensively. The point guard needs to be able to distribute the assist and penetrate the defense. He's trying to learn the motion offense so this may take away from his doing too much. I do agree quality BIGS are needed. A commitment from Stokes may come soon.

clvolfan writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

Who cares?

100% right about the stars.Hate to bring FB into this,but it is relevant. News yesterday was that UT had 31 4*'s in 07,08 and 09, and only 3 finished..go figure,and some of those in 2009 were CPF's recruits.

Nunshalpass writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

Don't ever call yourself a Diehard Vol Fan and then follow it up with the crud you just spewed. You lost all credibility if you ever had any to begin with. You give the real diehard fans a bad name. I think we have got a damn good coach. He needs time to get his recruiting channels established, but that doesn't happen overnight.

Ironcity writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

Nice to actually discuss UT without a bunch of trolls diving in. I like Washpun athletically but he doesn't distribute the ball. Similar to Goins last year. Its imperative that our PG have the ability to get the ball to the scorers at the right time and right now I don't see it from Washpun. That said he is all but 7 games into his career and as the game slows down I suspect he will become better.

I am surprised at how well the freshman have played. I think Richardson has a huge upside and I believe he has the ability to take a player out of his game. If I were Mcrae I would be concerned.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

A few periods and some capitol letters wouldn't hurt.

UKblue02 writes:

in response to Dexter:

Here's a link that might help...http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/...

UKblue02 writes:

Sorry just seen where someone had posted the same link....my bad

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Yes, Richardson does have a nice game that will only get better. The verbal from the point guard out of Alabama Travon Landry addresses the area the Vols need help in. Golden is really better at the 2. Evident in how he didn't use the screen (Maymon), but instead tried to split 2 defenders and got the ball tied up down the stretch.

Voller5 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I don't think McCrae has to be concerned. He is getting better and building confidence with every game. He is 6'6 with over a 7' wing span and can shoot the ball (when he is set). Richardson is good but has mad POTENTIAL! He will have the typical freshman growing pains, but next year will be ready to put 10+ a game. Not to look ahead too far but IF Stokes signs we will be a top 25 team next year. We will have Golden, McCrae, Maymon, Richardson, Hall, Makinjuola and Washpun back with a year under cuonzo. Add Stokes, who would easily start, and D'Montre Edwards, who is a VERY GOOD JC player and will probably start next year, and we have a very good team.

To put what I said in Depth Chart Form I can see this roster if somehow we can sign Stokes.
PG- Golden
G- McCrae
G- D'Montre Edwards
F- Stokes
F- Maymon
Richardson, Hall, Makinjuola, Washpun, and Reese

We would have a really good starting line-up with a solid bench. This team would end up in the top-25 easy in my opinion. This is how close I think we are from being back in contention for the SEC! One solid big man away! Go Vols!

Volunatic writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

"Beings" that he's from Alabama he can't afford better smoke, clues, or punctuation.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to Voller5:

PG- Golden
G- McCrae
G- D'Montre Edwards
F- Stokes
F- Maymon
Richardson, Hall, Makinjuola, Washpun, and Reese

Some how you left Hall out of that equation.

Golden
McCrae
Hall
Stokes
Maymon

along with Edwards and the others you mention.Word has it that Stokes will likely decde where he is going soon as he will likely enroll in college in Jan.

born2ride writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Another recruit not ranked in the Top 150.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to born2ride:

Another recruit not ranked in the Top 150.

His rank is not far below yours.

You really get a kick out of wrinkling feathers,don't you?
I really wonder how much your mouth would run if you were talking to a face instead of a key board.

in response to born2ride:

Another recruit not ranked in the Top 150.

He's just entering his junior year, so he has room to improve his ranking. You...not so much. Too much evidence that you are already all you are going to be--just another miserable troll.

VOL1972 writes:

in response to clvolfan:

Go figure? Have you been reading the paper? When you change coaches, you are going to have players leave. Several are now playing in the NFL.

Noogaorange writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Maybe he's just saving his money for a skirt for the trailer. GBO