Jeronne Maymon ready for bounce-back effort

Cuonzo Martin talks about Trae Golden's performance on the court

Cuonzo Martin’s analysis of Jeronne Maymon’s recent struggles in the paint is that Tennessee’s power forward is “in the next phase.’’

That’s a nice way of saying Maymon hasn’t replicated his magical Maui performance nor shown he can perform at his peak level on a consistent basis.

In his talks with Maymon leading up to Saturday (TV: CSS, noon) against Austin Peay (1-9) at Thompson-Boling Arena, UT’s coach has broken it down in a different way.

“I need to get back to doing what I was doing before, like Coach Martin says, ‘playing ugly,’ ’’ said Maymon, who jumped on the national radar with a 32-point, 20-rebound effort in a 99-97 double-overtime loss to Memphis in the Maui Invitational on Nov. 22.

Against Pittsburgh last Saturday, Maymon’s rebounding was plenty ugly, but not in the way Martin prefers.

Instead of throwing his hulking 6-foot-7, 263-pound frame around in inspirational fashion, as he did with double-doubles against Duke and the rival Tigers in Hawaii — Maymon was pushed around and outplayed by Pittsburgh’s Nasir Robinson.

Maymon scored 12 points but managed just one rebound — in the closing moments of the game — while the Panthers’ forward scored 16 points and pulled down 12 boards, including nine off the offensive glass.

It was the difference in last Saturday’s 61-56 defeat, which dropped UT to 3-4, though neither Martin nor Maymon’s teammates put it that bluntly.

“I don’t know what happened,’’ Maymon said. “I still have high expectations for myself, because I know what I’ve been through and how hard I’ve worked.

“Last year, I hit a snag, and this season I have a chance to show what I’m made of.’’

Martin brushed off any possible excuses for Maymon when asked if the junior forward was perhaps putting too much pressure on himself.

“As a basketball player, if you allow that to happen, that’s the next phase, and you have to grow through it,’’ Martin said. “I don’t talk to him about it. It’s over and done. If he’s putting that pressure on himself, that’s part of his growth.’’

Maymon, a former two-time Wisconsin high school player of the year who’s averaging 13.1 points and 7.7 rebounds per game this season, insists that external pressures are a positive, if anything.

“The expectations people have for me just make me want it even more,’’ Maymon said. “Last year, we used to talk about what would happen if I was playing. Well, now I’m playing, and it’s time to show out.’’

Slow Motion?: Martin was saying earlier this week that, “as a coach, this is your favorite time of year.’’

The one-week break between games has given Martin and his staff time to apply more facets of the motion offense into the Vols’ scheme.

UT point guard Trae Golden, who’s averaging 6.1 assists per game to go with his team-high 16.3-point scoring output, said things are coming along slowly.

“It’s something we have to get better at; of course we’ll be better at it in two months,’’ he said. “It takes a lot of reading and executing.’’

Golden has made most of his plays off dribble drives, but with more motion action his assists could come in different ways.

“For me, a lot of times it’s a case of looking at who we have on the wings, and seeing who’s in position to do what,’’ Golden said. “You read the defense, because some teams will alternate man(-to-man) defense and zone defense, and you go from there.

“I think the teams that keep their defenses geared toward me will open up other opportunities for my teammates.’’

Free Throws: The Vols are shooting 74.5 percent from the free-throw line this season, a marked improvement from last season’s 68.4.

This, despite the fact three departed starters ranked among team leaders: Melvin Goins 77.9 percent, Tobias Harris 75.3 percent and Scotty Hopson at 73.5 percent.

Jordan McRae leads UT at 86.4 percent after shooting 45.5 last season, Maymon is shooting 74.3 percent from last season’s 25 percent, Kenny Hall is at 75 percent after hitting 57.1 percent last season and Cam Tatum is at 75 percent, up from 66.7 percent.

Trae Golden’s 79.4 percent is down from last season’s 82.5 percent.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

It is truly amaing how much the free throw shooting has improved, especially for the players from last season. That is one stat that is going to help us win a bunch of games this year.

Maymon will be fine. I expect him to be back to his steamrolling ways.

Go Vols!

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

I meant "amazing"

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I guess Maymon needs to block out better.

Not sure what it will mean if Maymon "bounces back" against APSU or any other 2011 opponents, except maybe College of Charleston, although it would help if he gets his confidence and aggressiveness back on a regular basis. I just hope he is "back" by the time the Vols go to Memphis!

BTW, I think Golden's "drop-off" in FT-% is due to the fact that he is playing a LOT more minutes and is thus taking more FT's late in games when he is tired. I hope he can get in somewhat better shape because he has to be a 30-35 minute per game guy while playing at a high level for this team to succeed.

I also hope guys like Maymon, McRae, and Hall don't regress to their personal means. The FT shooting has been a real bright spot so far and can be a real strength going forward if it holds up all season.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I'd like to see more even spread team play where Golden is leading the charge and dishing it off a bit. McRae needs better looks and better feeds because so far he can't sometimes find a decent shot. Same for Hall I suspect.

HtownVol writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I do not know what to think about Hall.

At times we see the talent but I just dont see him putting it all together.

It usually takes Kennyrisking taking three steps to get his shot.

I have been frustrated with McBee. He is just not quick enough at all to play defense. He has got beat by everyone he has defended.

It would be acceptable if he were a scorer. He is the best shooter on the team but he can not create his own shot and half the time he does not pull the trigger when he does have a shot.

I do think Coach Martin is a great coach and will be succesful at UT for a long time but it will not happen until we get some size and the team gets the Offense together.

And please stop the jacking up horrible shots. The offense runs so much better when someone is not taking a 30 footer with 20 on the shot clock.

GO VOLS

VolunteerLifer writes:

I like it when Maymon throws his big body around under the goal. He reminds me a bit of Barkley.

born2ride writes:

Maymon is the only big we have.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Part of not getting better looks is that this team is terrible at setting and using screens. I hope it is because emphasis has been on defense and they haven't learned to play together as a team. Too much one-on-one.

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

No where close to Barkley, who could jump out of the gym and lead the league is rebounds. More like Glenn Big Baby Davis at LSU

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

He should put up big numbers against Austin Peay. They are not a good team.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

This Team needs consistency..Golden has some big games early in season;Maymon shows up big in Maui;McRae has 2 back to back 25 point games on the road..Then.....they regress and you never know where the points are goimg to come from. Consistent PPGames are hard to come by even for great shooters but a must for success..Defense is a great thing to have but if your knocking down your shots above 50% you will win most games. This team line up needs more time under the new offense to be confident against all the multi defense's they will face.Should be in place in about 5 weeks

in response to CoverOrange:

I think part of that is due to the fact that the team is only now really starting to put in the motion offense. We will see over the next few games just how much they are progressing in this. The motion offense depends heavily on screening away from the ball to free up cutters. Most of the screening so far, such as it is, has been on the ball, which is the most intuitive but not necessarily what quick players need to get free.

in response to rclarkvols#224537:

The comparison to Davis is very apt. Maymon is not a great leaper but if he gets a guy pinned under the rim or backboard with his considerable backside, he can usually get a good look. He is also pretty good at getting the ball in the mid- or high-post area and driving around a bigger defender, like he did against Duke and Memphis. If he adds a reliable mid-range jumper, he will get free for those drives a lot more often.

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

He should put up big numbers against Austin Peay. They are not a good team.

Probably so. Unfortunately, a number of their remaining 2011 opponents are also out-manned, so I expect to see them play zones most of the time. I say "unfortunately" because the screening action against zones is different than it is against a man-to-man. On the other hand, the team needs to learn how to make it work against both types of defense.

SouthPaVol writes:

I love this time of year as well. We played some talented opposition that taught our Vols intensity early, and I'm thankful for that. Even though we suffered a few close losses, the value gained from high-level play will reap big, big dividends down the road. It's a page from Pat's textbook that BP was adopting for the men before his recent departure. I hope CCM keeps that approach of playing tough teams early.

After getting film on some tough games, the week off gave CCM time to add to the offense. The next six opponents allows time to tune up this well-oiled machine to a peek before facing Memphis a second time and starting SEC play.

I say we win 5 of the next 6 games, beat Memphis, finish about 500 in the SEC, and hand Kentucky their only regular season loss when they visit The Summit! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Go Vols!

richvol writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I guess Maymon needs to block out better.

Maymon AND the rest of the team. Nobody was blocking out in the PITT game and we got wore out on the boards.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

In the words of Larry the Cable Guy...."Git'r done!"

in response to SouthPaVol:

From your keyboard to God's eyes! I think much of the basketball world is now aware of the fact that the NCAA selection committee isn't fond of a schedule overloaded with cupcakes. For that reason alone, I expect Martin to at least maintain the strength of the team's out-of-conference schedule.

HtownVol writes:

Watching the game now, with 12 to go in the 1st..

Maymon is a beast today but that is it.

The offense is just out of control and shots are being forced.

tulelakevol writes:

Watching the game, 5 minutes left in the first half, and we are playing so sloppy and ugly.

HtownVol writes:

This game is hard to watch.

UT is just not into the game at all.

That is one thing I am starting to question. Can Martin get the team ready to play? Oakland and today UT has not played hard at all.

HtownVol writes:

I would really like to see C Martin show a little reaction to players when they do things that are unexcusable.

Maymon passed a ball to McRae who was 15 feet away and the pass went ten rown in the crowd.

Maybe it is just not his style but I just want to see something to get a reaction from the team.

tulelakevol writes:

Our basketball team SUCKS! Austin Peay is only down two points,

tulelakevol writes:

I would hope we could close out a 1 and 9 team on our home court instead of letting them hang around the whole game.

HtownVol writes:

This is getting ridiculous.

3 min to go Tenn is up 2. And Maymon just handed the ball away.

There is no energy from UT today.

HtownVol writes:

in response to tulelakevol:

The lack of energy from UT is just amazing.

SO MANY plays where UT is playing like it is a walk through.

Tatum just got a dunk blocked.
Trae got a layup blocked.
Maymon keeps passing the ball to the wrong team.

I dont mind a loss, but I do mind a team playing like they just do not care at all.

tulelakevol writes:

Did Dooley give Martin some coaching tips this past week?

tulelakevol writes:

I mind a loss to Austin Peay, no excuse if we lose to this team.

HtownVol writes:

THIS TEAM IS PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HtownVol writes:

in response to tulelakevol:

I mind a loss to Austin Peay, no excuse if we lose to this team.

it is about to happen but the team dont care at all

tulelakevol writes:

I am in shock Htown that it has come down to this....

tulelakevol writes:

Martin needs to buy a bus ticket back to Missouri, ugly ugly game,

HtownVol writes:

We just lost to a 1-9 team.

This is just unexcusable.

There is ZERO excuse for this.
A week to get ready and come out never giving effort from the start.

I am going to have to rethink C Martin. This is 100% on him.

This is simply pathetic. Tenn has the talent in every single position and it is at HOME!

How is UT ever going to get the talent needed to win the SEC if recruits see that Martin can not coach the team to best one of the worst teams on the schedule?

I am not over-reacting to this. There is just no excuse for this junk.

I am so ashamed to have watched that game.

I will not be paying to watch any more gamnes this season. I can watch this junk on ESPN3 for free.

Man, just plain pathetic!

thevoice writes:

Hmmm. Not good. Maybe the forecasters were indeed correct about how we finish the SEC. Still have a Memphis game to measure against.

tulelakevol writes:

in response to HtownVol:

We just lost to a 1-9 team.

This is just unexcusable.

There is ZERO excuse for this.
A week to get ready and come out never giving effort from the start.

I am going to have to rethink C Martin. This is 100% on him.

I am not over-reacting to this. There is just no excuse for this junk.

I am so ashamed to have watched that game.

Man, just plain pathetic!

100 percent agree, its on Gonzo and the players, bad, bad, bad, bad loss.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

We just saw the basketball version of the Tennessee Kentucky football game.

Every team will throw a zone at the Vols from now on. A 1-10 team comes in an takes over your house.

Not a happy day.

Bubba_Knows writes:

This may be the worst loss in Tennessee basketball history. Trying to think of when I was more embarrassed. Can't think of a time. This team SUCKS!

volaholic45 writes:

O well, it's been a whole week or so since the last humiliating defeat or devastating news in Big Orange Country. We can take it.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

We just saw the basketball version of the Tennessee Kentucky football game.

Not a happy day.

This is what I said should be done before the season started against the Vols. Just play zone cause these losers can't shoot.

tulelakevol writes:

I am so disgusted right now with this loss, this team, this bargain coach.

Bubba_Knows writes:

Spare us all some very ugly basketball and just forfeit the rest of the season. You bunch of fricken LOSERS!

tulelakevol writes:

Bring out the black curtains....

Madkels writes:

I'm at work and watched a little of the first half on ESPN3. Thought we had this one in the bag. Just now saw the score. WFH happened? THis is like losing to UK in football. I gave this team the benefit of doubt after playing Duke, Memphis and Oakland on the road, but this is a disaster. How do you lose to AP at home? Coach Martin needs to get these guys heads on straight, or he and Dooley will be looking for other work. It is no fun being a VOL fan these days.

volaholic45 writes:

O well, just wait until football season. No, wait. Nevermind - years of complete suckage ahead.

Bubba_Knows writes:

My Highschool Team could outshoot the Vols.

HtownVol writes:

I dont care if it is his style or not Coach Martin has to stop letting players do dumb things that cause the team to have bad habbits.

Martin never takes players to the side to let them know how they are making horrible mistakes.

Maymon passing the ball as bad as possible.

McBee not playing defense.

Players standing around WAY TOO MUCH!

Jacking up horrible shots early.

And Golden is never going to understand that nothing good comes from him driving in for a layup. He gets his shot blocked 9 out of 10 times.

tulelakevol writes:

My group of old fat dad's that meet once a week to play pick up basketball could outshoot the Vols.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Why in the world does TN hire coaches no one else wants? Just drop athletics if that's what they are going to do. Save us the embarrassment.