UT not issuing Kenny Hall pass against College of Charleston

Tennessee forward Kenny Hall (20) shoots as Austin Peay forward Melvin Baker (20) and center John Fraley (21) defend at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn., Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011.  Hall scored 8 points with 9 rebounds during the first half.

Photo by Adam Brimer, Adam Brimer

Tennessee forward Kenny Hall (20) shoots as Austin Peay forward Melvin Baker (20) and center John Fraley (21) defend at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn., Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011. Hall scored 8 points with 9 rebounds during the first half.

Kenny Hall: Need to be more vocal, demand ball

Tennessee center Kenny Hall is ready to put his foot down.

A month ago, the 6-foot-9 junior struggled just to get his feet right in the paint, missing shots, running into early foul trouble and getting out-worked on the boards.

Hall has shown vast improvement of late, and he's ready to lead the Vols (3-5) on the road against College of Charleston (7-1) on Wednesday (TV: ESPN2, 9 p.m.).

"It's most definitely a must-win; losing three straight, two at home, it's important for us to go on the road and get this victory,'' Hall said Monday. "We do remember (Charleston) coming in and dominating us (91-78, in Knoxville last season), and that's another push for us as a team to go into their home and beat them.''

Cuonzo Martin was coaching at Missouri State last season and couldn't address UT's potential revenge factor, but as far as Hall goes, Martin has been front and center.

"Kenny stayed after it, and he kept working, every morning,'' Martin said. "More than anything, you have to believe in some

thing before you want to do it full throttle. He's gotten more comfortable.''

Hall's effective post presence — along with that of junior power forward Jeronne Maymon — has in turn made the coaching staff more comfortable as the Vols continue to evolve.

"Jeronne is playing well, leading the SEC in field-goal percentage (59.0), and he did a good job in workouts making layups in traffic with bodies around,'' Martin said. "Kenny had another double-figure rebounding night (in last Saturday's loss to Austin Peay), and he's gaining more confidence on the offensive side of the ball.

"The most impressive thing about him he did a good job of chasing rebounds, with seven offensive rebounds, which was impressive for him.''

Hall's 12-point, 10-rebound double-double against Austin Peay were the type of numbers both Martin and Hall envisioned before the season.

But Hall struggled out of the gate.

"Y'all seen the games and the shots I was missing, I wanted to improve that,'' Hall said. "I don't like missing shots. For a big man, that's not a good look, especially on a team where a post presence is needed. For me not being that presence, that's not a good feeling. It's my job to get better and help my team out.''

Hall's presence in the paint could prove pivotal tonight, as the Cougars feature a 6-9 freshman post. The 6-7, 263-pound Maymon, meanwhile, will be matched with another wide body, 6-8, 240-pound sophomore forward Trent Wiedeman.

Martin said he'd like to see both Hall and Maymon get more assertive calling for the ball in the low post.

Hall was 5-of-5 shooting and Maymon was 8-of-10 from the floor against Austin Peay, but neither saw the ball much in the second half.

"The one thing we've talked to Kenny and Jeronne about, you have to demand the ball on the blocks,'' Martin said. "Not to say the guards are selfish, but if you're gonna demand the ball on offense, you have to give it up on the other side, and you have to be defending at a high level.

"Kenny and Jeronne, they don't demand the ball, they just go about their business, they work hard, they don't make a lot of excuses,'' he said. "So it's two things, a guard recognizing they're open, but also those guys demanding the ball.''

Hall said now that he has his game going, it puts him in a better position to be a leader.

"That's a part I have to step up and be more vocal on the court,'' Hall said. "It's not always the easiest thing to do, coming at certain players certain ways, because you have to look at yourself in the mirror first and correct what you're doing wrong. It starts off leading by example.

"Before you can check somebody else, you have to have your own stuff straight.''

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

born2ride writes:

Kenny Hall has been a big disappointment since he has been here.

alfrizzle097 writes:

Kenny Hall is a junior now, yes?

Not unusual for a good but not astounding recruit to not contribute till his junior year.

He just has to do it now.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Kenny Hall has been a big disappointment since he has been here.

i dont drink koolaide and see things for what they are but u are among the most negative on this board---almost never have anything positive to say about anyone or anything-----------if you were halfway reasonable you would acknowlege his improvement over the last few games----------you cant even give credit for double-doubles

CoverOrange writes:

Time was the only players that "demanded" the ball were bonafide stars that could take over the game at will. We don't have anyone like that. The open man shouldn't have to demand the ball. This team is not playing as a team.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to born2ride:

Kenny Hall has been a big disappointment since he has been here.

So have you.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to born2ride:

Kenny Hall has been a big disappointment since he has been here.

not nearly as disappointing as you are to your mommy and all of us. get a life dude, you can't go through life being so negative all of the time.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to born2ride:

Kenny Hall has been a big disappointment since he has been here.

B2, Hall puts up a double-double in an overall poor team effort and you have to take a personal shot---at him. Man, you must have your own issues. You'd probably pee on a powerball check, because they misspelled your middle name or something. One more thing: who's your favorite team, anyway?

BolivrBob writes:

Kenny is getting better. I really didn't think he would. We need to win this tonight.

eb502us#225637 writes:

As long as he's hustling and playing hard, I'm ok with him. That's because I have no expectations of him being any more than a role player.

He's still to slight to hold his own against the bigger centers in the league and he still can't play facing the basket. If not for playing on this team, he probably doesn't see the court anywhere else.

In a nutshel, our lack of bulk, size and talent on the inside is the achilles heel of this team.

GreeneVol writes:

"Before you can check somebody else, you have to have your own stuff straight."

Well said, Kenny - applicable in any walk of life for those who aspire to be true leaders! Glad to see you taking the first step in recognizing this truth.

brokendownoldvol writes:

They didn't care about beating Austin Piiss at home who thinks they will put out on the road at Charleston? Nasty loss by 20+.

crmcm44#321757 writes:

If they play a 40 minute game it will be a Christmas miracle.

kwcoach writes:

Unless these guys suddenly remember that they are a team they will lose and lose by a lot the rest of the way.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to crmcm44#321757:

If they play a 40 minute game it will be a Christmas miracle.

Miracles DO happen. Thus we have Christmases! I would really love to see a UT game that lasts for the whole game . Any sport. EVEN the great Lady Vols have yet to do that. We can still win with a lapse or 2 but it also like we've seen can turn into a loss if we don't show up at the end of the game. Just 5 minutes MORE of hard fought bball!!? That's all we ask. "It ain't over till it's over" "It ain't over till the" weight challenged person "sings". "Finish the race" "Run and not grow weary" "End it" "Keep your eye on the goal"
My brain's gettin' tired

Obviously I am off for the holidays! I'd apologize for all the posts but I am having a blast.

FearMyMohawk writes:

Charleston by 15. Guarantee Cuzzo's boys will quit sometime in the 2nd half

brod writes:

the whold da** team needs to step up. not just kenny hall. lousy defense is the problem with this team. not scoring, as we thought it would be before the season. if this team goes to charleston and gets blown out, then the facilities staff at thompson-boling will need to bring the black curtains back out of storage. something that i thought would never happen again. i hope like he** that our coach and this team gets this trainwreck stopped.

samvol writes:

in response to born2ride:

Kenny Hall has been a big disappointment since he has been here.

yo mommy has said the same thing about you.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Kenny Hall has been a big disappointment since he has been here.

Santa has made note of your hurtful words.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to untimed_vols_ghost:

Golly!? How 'bout a speech there UNTIMEly_vols_spirit?haha

samvol writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

Santa has made note of your hurtful words.

Wow...The Tennessee “fans” phooey all over the Tennessee players, coaches and AD more than Kentucky. Great to be a Vol…..

VFL
GBO
GoVols…GoZo

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Maymon has come a long way since last year but should be a more vocal leader;because we have none..Hall's slow progress is what it is..Last year Goudelock and Monroe couldn't miss and killed us for an unbelievable 58 points!!Both along with Simmons are gone thank God!!!Cremins is a good coach and shifted to his strengths which are his 2 forwards Wiggins and Wiedman now their main scorers and as usual have a good shooting guard. Wiedman didn't have a huge game last year but I recall him making some big crunch time plays and hurting us at the foul line..CofC
for whatever reason draw a lot of fouls; rarely less than 30 or more free throws a game;and unlike us they make them at around 75%..This game will be played midrange in the paint..If Martin was smart he would throw a little zone defense at them to push the game to the perimeter making it easier to close down passing lanes inside but Martin seems to be hard headed and has yet to use any zone defense..Also might be a good time to give Yemi more playing time..In the end like most games we've played it's important that Tatum;McRae and Golden shoot at least 40%.Maymon and Hall can't make up for them throwing up brick after brick..CofC has talent but if our guards play to potential we win by 12

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

I sure hope we get a Christmas miracle tonight and win this game, if not, it's gonna be a really long season. GBO!!

samjrr writes:

in response to born2ride:

Kenny Hall has been a big disappointment since he has been here.

Your a big disappointment to Vol Nation!

FearMyMohawk writes:

in response to lovetheusaorleave:

Absolutely no excuse to get outplayed and outcoached by Austin Peay. NONE. No they haven't came along as quick as we would've liked, but they better do it real quick because the SEC schedule is right around the corner.

1vavolfan writes:

The spread has Charleston favored by 2.5 points, after watching this team all year I would be surprised if we get within 10.

totoiv writes:

I am puzzled at our schedule this year. I know some games are set a few years in advance. But, I am not sure why we are playing away games at Oakland and Charleston. These are trap games. The announcers on the Oakland game said Tennessee was the biggest named school to play a Oakland's 3,000 plus seat arena. The fans there were super charged up. They were going crazy. They did not care if Tennessee was 0-7 or 7-0 the fact they were playing Tennessee was a big deal for that school. I know some schools can demand a home-for-home contract. But, I can't believe these schools have that clout, especially if we were Oakland's biggest game ever. If our team can't get up for Austin Peay then we are getting ready to walk into a buzz saw at Charleston. Those fans will be pumped. I wonder if this schedule is another Hamilton legacy?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'd like to make a prediction but I simply do not have enough info on Charleston. I haven't looked them up and I only know a little about Cremins.
so NO prediction here except us winning by 11

Ok I'll guess UT 88 Charlie 77

Of course that prediction is with 5 minutes to go in the game.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Willing to give Coach Martin a fair shake,just like I am Coach Dooley, but he made a remark after the AP loss that was troubling to me..He said that he didn't consider the loss to AP a bad loss, just a loss..IMO, any loss is bad but to lose to a 1-9 AP team at home in my book is considered a bad loss because it is a game that the Vols should have won, no excuses.

Something else that troubles me is the fact that Coach Martin doesn't show any emotion during the games, and he didn't show any about the last 5 min. of the AP game..IMO, by showing no emotion under the circumstances is sending the wrong message to the team and the fans..Not saying that he doesn't care if the Vols win or not, but he sure has a funny way of showing it..Sometimes it can be good to be calm, but when your team is down and it is crunch time, it's time to show some emotion..

Not saying that Martin won't be successful, just saying that he needs to let his team and the fans know that he cares about winning.

Smokey says he will give him a chance..

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

This is directed to the Vol fans, not the trolls or the "defeatists" -

Coach several times mentioned the guards are too selfish and that the post players need to "demand" the ball. With 5 minutes left in the games, why can't the coach "demand" that the guards pass it to the post at least once or maybe twice before they jack up a 30 footer? I don't understand why Martin doesn't put his foot down on that problem.

Maymon leads the SEC in shooting % but we don't get it to him the last 2 minutes?? Amazing!!

D60 writes:

Estimated crowd 10,000

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Some one or ones have had too much coffee. well yes I have had but that's beside the point!!

UKblue02 writes:

BolivrBob writes:

The Cougs have one quality win at Clemson, which is one more than we have. I was very hopeful after the close losses at Maui. That hope is somewhat diminished after the loss to the Govs. And now Murray St has beaten Memphis at Memphis, which dulls the hope even more. We need to win tonight. NOBODY should EVER shoot 73% against us. We can and should win tonight. I'm really excited about tonight, hoping everyone is understanding their role better, in a team concept, and playing some tough defense, with some want to. We're 2 1/2 point dogs, so the pollsters don't think much of us. We're not supposed to win. Like I said, We can and should win. Go Vols!

UKblue02 writes:

in response to lovetheusaorleave:

You're welcome, highly ranked player, good catch for UT if it pans out.

HtownVol writes:

Watching the CoC game not.
Tenn up 9-7
2 quick cheap fouls on Hall in 4 minutes.
I hate to say this but why do refs treat UT so wrong?
I have seen calls that can go either way and so far UT has 3 fouls and C of C has none.
At some point it gets old.

HtownVol writes:

I am having to take back what I have said about McBee, he is on FIRE right now.

He has had a issue noty pulling the trigger this season but not tonight. It is catch and shoot as it should be.

McBee 2 of 2 on 3'd. UT up 17-10!

And hs D is better tonight.

Darn Woolridge though comes in and jacks up a horrible 3.. TAKE HIM OUT FOR GOOD!

HtownVol writes:

in response to lovetheusaorleave:

How bout this UT game that is currently on ESPN2?

I sure wish Woolridge's sorry rear would stay on the bench. Man he is sorry.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Games a little topsy turvy but I'm glad we're ahead. Way too many 3s for us. Ball movement is pretty good. we certainly have needed Miller to step up tonight. He's looking darn good so far. but we're only up by four...all those missed 3s.

HtownVol writes:

I have just had enough of Trae Golden!!!!

This kid just does not care one bit.

He has handed the ball away time and time again tonight!

Coach Martin is letting yet ANOTHER huge lead slip away!

UT went from up 13 to down 2!

Excuses Martin?

Ummm, I played sorry Woolridge and lazy Golden just WAY TOO MUCH.

UKblue02 writes:

You removed a link to a page with a story about a possible UT recruit KNS??? Guess you cant stand to be shown up...

eduardo writes:

Our pg play is killing us. This guy makes bad decision after bad decision. And he plays no d at all. Get the heck back on d!

eduardo writes:

what good is Kenny Hall on the floor the dude cant even find the stupid ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

HtownVol writes:

This is the WORST Tennessee team I have ever seen.

Buzz Peterson could at least get his team to not give up.

Golden is lazy as it gets. tatum is slow. The team is just bad!

What good is passing the ball for 30 seconds? and then turning it over. IDIOTS!

JimmyJoe writes:

What a terrible basketball team. Letting the kid from Greeneville beat ya is just a lack of pride. He showed up to play...our guys seem like they could car less. I'm adjusting my prediction from 11 and 22 to 9 and 24. I don't think Martin keeps his job if he can't win 10 games. And I don't know where 10 wins come from with this schedule.

HtownVol writes:

Golden is just killing the team. He can not drive the ball and his jumper is so far off that I do not want him to shoot anymore.

Even Maymon is playing half way.

I have never seen a team that gets double digit leads and then just plain GIVES UP!

I have said it before this is 100% C Martin!

The team does not play hard for him and they do not listen to him.
They do not care just as he does not.

switcher76 writes:

Tennessee stinks!!! Looks like they are about as bad as the football team. I love TN but this is crazy. I guess you have to take the bad with the good and this is BAD. Bruce we miss you!!

CCM....you may need to find a new home....Knoxville isn't a good fit.

HtownVol writes:

LAZY LAZY LAZY MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JimmyJoe writes:

Can we reassign these coaches to another position at the university and not have to pay their buyout when envitablly have to fire them... Maybe they could clean up dog poop or something at the vet school....

westknoxrepub writes:

Again I point out, based on recruiting, this team will be more talented than next year's team. The Atlantic Sun All Stars strike again.

HtownVol writes:

in response to switcher76:

CCM....you may need to find a new home....Knoxville isn't a good fit.

I agree.

What is his excuse tonight?

UT has more talent and depth and had a huge lead and just STOPPED PLAYING!

Martin never has a reaction when his team gives up.

WHY is the ... was Woolridge playing so much? He is a large reason we lost that lead. He is horrible and did not one good thing for UT.

MArtin is doing nothing to show he will ever be a good coach in the SEC. I think UT is screwed with this clown.