Trae Golden suffers broken nose, says he's ‘just getting used to it’

Tennessee guard Trae Golden (11) shoots a three-pointer over Austin Peay guard Jerome Clyburn (1) at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn., Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011.  Austin Peay won 74-70 over Tennessee.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Adam Brimer

Tennessee guard Trae Golden (11) shoots a three-pointer over Austin Peay guard Jerome Clyburn (1) at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn., Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011. Austin Peay won 74-70 over Tennessee. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Trae Golden on how he broke his nose

Tennessee starting point guard Trae Golden suffered a broken nose in last Friday’s practice but will be ready to play against UNC Asheville tonight (TV: SportSouth, 7 p.m.).

UT (3-6) looks to break a four-game losing streak when it hosts the Bulldogs (6-4) at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Vols coach Cuonzo Martin announced Golden’s injury at his Monday press conference, and said the sophomore will likely undergo surgery on Dec. 30.

Golden, who is leading the team with 14.4 points and 5.8 assists per game, was struck by a loose elbow late in a physical practice.

“The first couple of days after it happened, it affected my breathing,’’ Golden said. “I was dizzy and nauseous and had a bad headache. But I’ve shot the ball since then, and I don’t think it will affect me. It’s just getting used to it.’’

Martin held Golden out of last Saturday’s practice and the nose wasn’t diagnosed as broken until Monday.

“I don’t think he’ll have to miss any playing time,’’ Martin said. “I think he has some toughness to him. The doctor said the percentages of getting your nose hit again are very slim.

“I’m OK with him playing 35 minutes (against UNC Asheville), as long as he’s playing hard.’’

Martin knows what Golden will be going through, having suffered a broken nose himself during his sophomore season at Purdue in a game against Indiana.

“I got a mask; I wore it in practice, but not the games,’’ Martin said. “I just played through it. It was painful, but I stayed in the game.

“I didn’t want to have surgery because I would have missed some games. It’s just a part of it.’’

Martin said to the best of his recollection, he was 15-of-18 shooting and scored 32 points in the game he broke his nose, though the Boilermakers lost to the Hoosiers.

Martin believes Golden will be able to play effectively, but he also said that freshmen Wes Washpun and Josh Richardson could play some minutes at the point guard position in relief if needed.

Golden doesn’t think he’ll need any special assistance.

“I’m not trying to beast it or anything, I just know you can play through a broken nose,’’ Golden said. “I know Coach Martin played with one; he told me about it and that made me definitely feel like I had to be ready to go. He pushes me in so many ways, in every aspect, and expects a lot out of me. I feel like he teaches me so much that I couldn’t learn from anyone else.’’

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

GetSimmsandTeagueout writes:

Ouch!

Ironcity writes:

Get well Trae. I have seen whats behind you and it isn't pretty

abnerPeabody writes:

Been there and done that.Ouch is right.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Man! Our practices must be rougher than our games!!?
C'mon Martin you need to start whoever did this to Trae and at the point or at the 5.
Seriously Though, we need you Trae get healthy quick. But I hate to see people play hurt. I hope it's not too distracting.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

First Massengale in practice and now Trae. Those practices are tough going !

Merry Christmas

CoverOrange writes:

Did they catch the elbow? Pretty dangerous to have an elbow on the loose.

HtownVol writes:

Martin sais he can play 35 minutes if he plays hard.

We have the solution now!

Break every players noses then Martin will make sure they play hard.

He sure has not cared if they played hard in the first 9 games.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Ouch, I know that hurts. Playing through it means that Trae is a tougher guy than I have given him credit for up to now.

BolivrBob writes:

The Bulldogs lost to NC State by 9 and UConn by 10. If we can't bust their zone we will get beat.

FearMyMohawk writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

What you jus said scared me...alot.

taylorsvolfan writes:

I had high hopes after Duke and Memphis but not so much anymore. We are in bad shape if Golden is our leading scorer.

BobKesling_is_overpaid writes:

I can guarantee he didn't break it playing defense.

vol75 writes:

Coach Martin promised hard nosed defense. Maybe this is a sign our luck is changing.

slambob2#228938 writes:

Great article. And great quote at the end about the encouragement and teaching from Cuonzo

in response to slambob2#228938:

I agree. I just hope he brings the evidence of some of that coaching to the court tonight. In addition to the close losses to power teams someone mentioned above, UNCA inaugurated their new arena by playing North Carolina pretty tough most of the way earlier in the year. Although they don't have a big name, they are probably good enough to stretch the losing streak to five if the Vols don't bring a full load to this game. For sure, they won't have as much of a home-court advantage as Asheville had when they played UNC.