Letter from DeAnthony Arnett

Letter from DeAnthony Arnett to members of the media.

The Arnett family for years has been tight. I never knew the conditions for my Father would worsen like this. 2 heart attacks, dialysis, etc.. has made it so I cannot focus on anything but his health/well being. I never imagined being unable to have my dad at any games or me being able to see him as he endures his battle with health. Yes I want to play football but I NEED to be here for my dad and with my family. I am also still pursuing my goal of being the best student-athlete I can be

My mom is in a finacial bond my father was forced to retire from his job at General Motors because of a Lung Diseas on Disability, so I started recieving social security checks for a monthly payment of 1100 a month. I was 14 years old when most of this occured so I was un able to recieve my own check until I turned 18 years old so she always controlled my money and she used that as part of her income. When I turned 18 years old the checks came in my name but my mom and I always shared the funds with her. When June came upon my graduation I recieved a letter from the social security adminstration that my checks would be cut when I graduated so a 1100$ of income was taken from my mother household. She only attended one game this past season.

As this season went on I never was use to my parents not being at my games so it made the season a little harder for me but I still competed hard in my classes as my transcript grades from last semester were three B's and C and I appeared in all 12 games as a true freshman this season working hard every weak to earn my playing time.

Coach Dooley, myself or anybody doesnt know what the future holds for my Father and I feel that I represented the University of Tennessee the best way I can on and Off the field and I feel I have earned the right to be released unconditional to all schools in Michigan. Especially with The University of Tennessee not scheduling any Program

From the state of Michigan on their current or future schedules. Coach Dooley has singled two programs that I cant get a unconditional release to and thats University of Michigan and Michigan State University. He told me I can attend any Mac school that I want and If I wanted to attend The University of Michigan and Michigan State University then I would have to pay for school instead of be on the Scholorship. I dont know whats next my family cant afford to pay for school and my father health reason isnt good enough excuse for me to attend a BCS school close to home. (According to coach dooley). Therefore as a student athlete i feel coach dooley is trying to hinder my success by not allowing me to compete at a bcs level! And he's neglecting the fact that my father is severely ill.

Related Stories

jobrando#216494 writes:

Seems like he should be released with no restrictions if all he says is true. Just to leave for greener pastures should go
with severe restrictions.

voloffaith writes:

Ah the limitations have been shown with more detail.....is it because he had a free ride at Ut and his scholarship is not free to someone else for UT that the restriction has been placed. I would like(who cares what I like) for a clarification as to why he has to pay if it isn't in the families financial wherewithall.

underthehill writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

with severe restrictions.

What were the circumstances and restrictions or lack thereof, of the transfer of Bullard this past season?

VOLFROMNC writes:

tonyvick#213307 writes:

Daaaayum Dooley...c'mon man!

wallingdad writes:

to whom was this letter written? the press? His reference about Dooley tells me that it was not written to Dooley.

wigmeister writes:

Good luck to you DeAnthony, and especially to your Dad. Thanks for your dedication to the program while you were here.

Ayres_Hall writes:

There are at least two sides to every story. Arnett has some fine choices. He needs to make one, stick with it, and move along.

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

While I have great sympathy for this young man's situation and his father's health, I would urge caution on the part of Vol fans before judging this situation or Dooley.

To be frank, this open letter makes me a little suspicious. There are NCAA rules regarding this type of transfer as well as restrictions clearly stated in all athletic scholarships. Why would this young man publish this letter and take his request outside the university to be judged by the public.

It just seems like there is more going on here than a simple transfer request.

Once again, I don't know this gentleman and am not judging him, but I do think his tactics are very aggressive for someone who has a justifiable request.

SickToMyStomach89 writes:

in response to VOLFROMNC:

Dooley doesn't make this kind of decision. This is left up to the University and the Athletic Department. Comments like this just show how naive, uninformed and uneducated people are who make comments on this site.

wallingdad writes:

in response to I_Bleed_Orng:

It just seems like there is more going on here than a simple transfer request.

it does appear that he is taking his story to the people to get the court of public opinion on his side so as to put pressure on Dooley to cave.

thevoice writes:

Looks like someone needs an English/grammar lesson.

Bufforange00 writes:

this dude needs some meds- he is suffering from depression-- apparently the demands of being a student athlete and managing personal relationships are too hard to reconcile for this young man.

And why in the name of neyland would he ever want to play football in Michigan?

Teamguy writes:

His family was poor and his father was sick when he signed, these things didn't happen in the last year. If it was Realllly that bad, why the fubar did he leave Michigan in the first place?

Using one's sick father as an excuse to relocate to another University of one's choice is not ethical.

In his open letter Arnett didn't capitalize Coach Dooleys' name, a blatant lack of respect. Arnett is unhappy being at UT because of the state of our football program, not because he is away from his father. Can you leave? Yes. You just can't write your own ticket.

AZvolFan writes:

Notre Dame didn't put any restrictions on Alex Bullard. Shame on UT and Dooley.

cyclonevol87 writes:

What is wrong with central Mich. its close to home?

Teamguy writes:

in response to AZvolFan:

Notre Dame didn't put any restrictions on Alex Bullard. Shame on UT and Dooley.

Shame on Arnett. You don't use your sick father as an excuse to go to your home school because your unhappy with the school you chose.

Arnett wants to leave school and he wants to use his father as an excuse? Okay. Enjoy the MAC

cincivol writes:

It's a shame that the UT I have been proud of for years is handling this situation in this way. Let this young man move on with his life. To see a young man in his late teens have to deal with things in the public is shameful. If what he says is true then I just lost a ton of respect for the Coach and administration. Shameful!!!!!!!

fratricide08 writes:

There's more to the story than we know. This very likely isn't all about Arnett's dad since it's been written about that his brothers served as his de facto dad because their father didn't know how to be one. You can find that info here: http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/j...

I'm not going to condemn either Dooley or Arnett because we quite simply don't know what's going on. Relationships are complicated and so are motives.

Teamguy writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

Classy. I expected you to whipe his butt too.

newportvol writes:

in response to Teamguy:

Remember Tyler Smith and Jp Prince both trasfered back because of health reason.. This kid should be released to play for any non sec school

DLuckySeven writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

You will probaly pay for his airfare back and forth also. Maybe even pay his parents flight to see the Gators play.

Teamguy writes:

That's true, they did transfer back. Its Dooleys' prerogative, however, and he knows the situation better than us. If Dooley feels the kid just wants out of dodge then he made the right decision by denying his schools of choice. We have to protect our investments.

volsreign writes:

Deer Mr arnette how were you able. To get a Scholorship to a major Universite. anyway?

willblitz4bacon writes:

I feel sad for the young man. Myself, I wouldn't have left in the first place. That being said if his dads condition is deteriorating and his family is on hard times I think he should be released. Dooley DIDN'T MAKE THE RULE.

If it was me I'd play at a MAC school closest to home. Why even bring up MEATCHICKEN or MEATCHICKEN ST. ??? Or is this just about Mr. Arnett himself?

OrangePsyched writes:

Look I feel for the guy. It would seem though that he wants his cake and wants to eat it also. He wants to be close to home but only to a BCS school. If my dad were so ill then I wouldn't care where I played. If you're the deal the NFL will find you. To the gator stooge on here..what is your nonconference schedule? Right...shut it. Finally I do pass best wishes to his family.

Voltillyafall writes:

in response to cyclonevol87:

What is wrong with central Mich. its close to home?

If the reason for transferring were all about his father, why would Mr. Arnett care about what school he is limited to?

If its all about his father, Central Michigan should be just fine.

More than meets the eye here....

suttree writes:

Half the program would petition for unconditional release if Arnett were allowed to transfer to a big D1 program.

Voltillyafall writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

HE'S (and not anyone else) the one who made it public by writing the letter to the editor.

oldster writes:

I would like to know why Dooley is putting these restrictions on the young man. It is not like UT is in direct competition with them.

basevol writes:

Needs to focus on english class not football. Hate that family is having health problems but this was an issue before he left home. Why did he leave home in first place?

imw8n4u writes:

How would anyone know what Dooley's position is on this, he has been MIA since the Kentucky debacle.

I personally feel these guys should be able to transfer anywhere they want any time they want for any reason they want. These are schools, not prisons, let the kid go help his family.

VOLinTX writes:

I have to support Coach Dooley on this one. I feel sympathy for Mr. Arnett and his family. This situation didn't just appear and to allow a student athlete to pull out because they're having second thoughts should not be allowed. Paying tuition at another BCS school is open to everyone or play in a MAC school. Not many students have this option. Best wishes wherever he goes.

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Too bad we can't fire clowns like you as a fan. The sooner that you are gone the better. You don't care about the kid it's just another opportunity for you to rag on CDD.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

I'm not surprised considering all of the attrition from your 2010 recruiting class. You need all the help you can buy.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to I_Bleed_Orng:

It just seems like there is more going on here than a simple transfer request.

A well thought out post. A rarity on this site.

keithknoxvol writes:

I have a feeling there may be more to it than just his father's illness. His father was ill when he enrolled at Tn. Some people close to the program says he is more upset that Coach Baggett is gone and he is upset over how his departure was handled. I wish his father nothing but the best. I pray his health greatly improves, but he is a player and he know the public opinion right now is not on Dooley's side. He is not the first player that has not been granted a release at Tn or any other school for that matter.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Let's set the record straight, DeAnthony. Your father was sick before you left Michigan to play at UT. You already knew he was sick. Why did you leave in the first place? The real reason you're leaving is because Coach Baggett left and that's the only real reason you chose UT in the first place. If you were all that concerned you would have picked Michigan or Michigan State to begin with. TRUTH.

MrBamSeydu writes:

The reason Dooley isn't giving him full release is because Arnett's reasoning is b.s. If all he's worried about is his dad, move home and play for Central or Western Michigan. Oooh that's right, that's not what this is about after all.

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

After doing some research I would like to present the following facts:

1. Mr. Arnett came to UT b/c he believed he would get immediate playing time.

2. Mr. Arnett's father's condition has not worsened, it simply hasn't improved from what it was when he signed with Tennessee.

3. Tennessee lost a great WR coach with extensive NFL experience earlier this month.

4. Tennessee has some great WR's now and has recruited more to come in next year.

My initial reaction: Make the young man fulfill his commitment or he pays the price for changing his mind.

BUT, FACT 5: HE DOESN'T WANT TO BE HERE ANYMORE!

Therefore: final answer. Let him go, no restrictions. Avoid the PR mess and get a negative influence out of the locker room. And while you're at it, pull the whole freakin' team together and tell them anyone who isn't willing to fight for their job can hit the road as well.

I know it sounds rather terse, but at some point we've got to draw a line in the sand and demand some fight from our players and reward those who can put the team ahead of themselves.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Also remember: this is coming from the same kid who made several videos leading up to signing day last year with fake commitments to various schools before officially committing to UT.

MrBamSeydu writes:

in response to I_Bleed_Orng:

After doing some research I would like to present the following facts:

1. Mr. Arnett came to UT b/c he believed he would get immediate playing time.

BUT, FACT 5: HE DOESN'T WANT TO BE HERE ANYMORE!

You can't just unconditionally release someone because they don't want to be here. The University made a commitment to him. He made the same commitment. How would he feel if the University said "Well, we're pulling your scholarship because we don't want you here anymore." He would pitch a fit and file a suit probably. It doesn't work that way. Sign your name. Finish what you started. Or if it's that important go play for a small school in Michigan. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to I_Bleed_Orng:

After doing some research I would like to present the following facts:

1. Mr. Arnett came to UT b/c he believed he would get immediate playing time.

BUT, FACT 5: HE DOESN'T WANT TO BE HERE ANYMORE!

WHAT YOU SAID!

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

A well thought out post. A rarity on this site.

Many thanks, sir. I'm sure, you too, are a gentleman and a scholar.

cyclonevol87 writes:

in response to EightLetters:

So your for free agency in college sports where players can transfer anytime they get ready?

volpreacher writes:

in response to voloffaith:

If his family is in fiancial distress, his college could be paid for through grants. Just saying.

givehim6 writes:

Yesterday when Arnett's story first came out I was sympathetic with the young man, but now sounds flaky to me. If he wants to be near his dad ok, Dooley said Michigan and MSU was good. If he wants out of UT because Baggitts gone opps sorry DeAnthony is not the only UT wide out that is. Arnett got $1100 a month at 14? Was this just SSI? In 99' my girls got $ 229 Mo from SSDI then in 2000 they started getting a extra $169 from the VA, this ended when they turnd 18. A little under $400 a month. Arnetts Dad must of made a huge pay check.

pcorange writes:

Alright, he's been getting social security checks because of his father's health since he was 14? And now all of the sudden he just can't play for Tennessee and needs to be able to get an unconditional release to play for Michigan or Michigan State? Sounds like he's regretting his choice. I don't blame him, because his chances of playing for championships at Tennessee is probably slim, but it was his choice to come here and he should man up and help make the team better.

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to MrBamSeydu:

I absolutely understand your opinion. It has as much validity as my own. Holding a person to their commitments teaches them their word means something and shows others they can't play this "whatever I want whenever I want it" game.

Just remember, if Tennessee "plays hardball" with this young man it won't win them any favors PR wise. When all the whiners start laying into Dooley and UT for being heartless they better be ready to stand by their decision. If they fold they will lose all credibility (well, what little credibility we have right now).

arkyvol writes:

other factors aside, i can't help but wonder how someone with such a tenuous grasp of simple grammar could have come up with three Bs and a C in university level course work. is the the old athletic department-compliant faculty arrangement that blew up in fulmer's day back in business?