WR DeAnthony Arnett looking to transfer, but process is ongoing

Tennessee wide receiver DeAnthony Arnett appears to be on his way out of the program, but important discussions and decisions have yet to transpire.

Arnett, who is seeking a release from his scholarship to be closer to his ailing father in Saginaw, Mich., has not met with coach Derek Dooley to officially discuss the terms of his release, a source close to Arnett told the News Sentinel on Thursday. He can not officially ask for an NCAA hardship waiver request before he is granted the release.

Arnett has pondered the decision for months. In an interview with a Michigan State website from the 247sports.com family earlier this month — one that was not released until late Wednesday — he appeared to have his mind already made up.

"Due to personal family reasons, I've decided to leave Tennessee," Arnett told SpartanTailgate. "I appreciate everything the Vols coaches have done for me but in the long run the Tennessee program isn't the right fit for me or my family."

If Arnett qualifies for an NCAA hardship waiver, he would be able to play immediately at wherever he landed. Hang-ups with his National Letter of Intent, though, could put that in jeopardy.

Because Arnett signed a National Letter of Intent in February, he is subject to eligibility ramifications if he does not complete a full year at UT. It could, perhaps, be in his best interest to go through spring semester and spring football at UT before signing elsewhere.

"The basic penalty may preclude you from representing the second college until you have completed two academic years in residence at the latter institution and you may lose two seasons of competition in all sports," according to a National Letter of Intent cheat sheet from the NCAA's official website.

UT spokesman Jimmy Stanton said Thursday the athletic department "doesn't confirm of comment publicly on student-athlete release requests."

Considered one of the Vols' top-rated signees for the class of 2011, Arnett started once and saw playing time in all 12 games this past season. His 24 receptions tied for the second-most by a freshman in program history. He finished with 242 receiving yards, a total that ranked fifth on the team, and two touchdowns.

Before committing to UT in November 2010, Arnett nearly committed to nearby Michigan State. He also had Michigan in his final five.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

easleychuck writes:

I am sorry that his dad is ill.

I also think that the departure of the receivers' coach (CB) plays a role in this.

For something so personal, it seems odd that he would be talking to a Michigan State website.

This is a life altering decision.

AnotherYearWithoutFulmer writes:

Dooley is dragging his feet again.

He can transfer but it has to be to a community college in either Maine or Alaska.

toomanymistakes writes:

in response to AnotherYearWithoutFulmer:

Dooley is dragging his feet again.

I must have missed that in the article. Arnett has not talked to Dooley, so obviously Dooley is dragging his feet in granting the release.

I thought Coach Dooley was out of town recruiting, maybe that's why they have not talked to each other about it.

kevin151 writes:

Sorry for the Dad but something doesn't sound right here. Time will tell....

voloffaith writes:

2:15pm a new poster appears......not. Just a new name after the other,like many b4,was banned. How long will this one last? Same ole drivel as before. I will admit.....no I'll let it slide....

On topic,needing to be with dad is vital regardless,though strange,it showed up on Mich St. site.

slb#1351874 writes:

in response to kevin151:

Sorry for the Dad but something doesn't sound right here. Time will tell....

If the kid don't want to be here and his dad is really ill then let him go. Don't want someone on the team whose heart isn't set on being a vol for life.

jobrando#216494 writes:

I assume his dad's condition will have to be verified by dad's doc and only if it's life threating would I grant it.

manniesghost1903 writes:

After reading the article, I am beginning to suspect a significant number of "underclassmen" stars will elect to apply for transfer after the Orange and White game. This could mean there is a possible team revolt against Derek Dooley. This could explain the reason for the poor play against Kentucky. What do you think?

Goodvol_1 writes:

Mannie, I think you are thinking too hard. The kid wants to get back home. That happens all the time. I wouldn't try to make it more than it probably is. To say there might be a team revolt is kinda silly.

sbigdaddy writes:

Not sure what to think. family is very important and if his dad is ill then we have to look at the bigger picture. But if he is not happy playing for CDD then i think we need to look at that too. if coach looses the lokcer room then we are in trouble. Hopefully coach is thinking about doing things differently this season because this is a disconnect with him and his players.. Kentucky game was a huge indicator of that.... mr. Hart we need your expertize in this matter please step in

HtownVol writes:

Does anyone think that players play for Dooley?

I really think that when a player gets to know the staff they do not give their all for this staff.

Going mainly on the famous Dooley coached 2nd half teams. How many times has UT been in a game in every aspect at halftime and then Dooley motivates the team to lay down and take it in the 2nd half?

Somehow Dooley can get recruits to sign with UT but after a few months they are not the same.

Anything less than 8 wins in 2012 and Dooley better be gone!

I am not saying Arnett is part of this group but I am very tired of players leaving or giving up on UT.

If I had it my way Dooley and Jim Chaney and that O-Line and QB/WR coach would be gone yesterday but we are stuck with 11 more months of them bringing in good recruits and driving them away.

Can we still blame Hammy for this, the worst year ever in UT sports history?

Can anyone see the light (that is not a Dooley blind supporter)?

GO VOLS

cyclonevol87 writes:

in response to AnotherYearWithoutFulmer:

Dooley is dragging his feet again.

Reading your screen name i would bet it dosent matter what Dooley does you wouldnt be happy.

kwcoach writes:

in response to slb#1351874:

I agree, release anyone that either has family issues like this guy or anyone else who doesn't want to be here. After the KY debacle, we need guys that WANT to wear the orange!

LifetimeVolFan writes:

Is this really about his dad or just a kid who see's the writing on the wall? He's at least 3rd on the depth chart at UT where he just knew he would instantly be the shining star and the #1 receiver, and now his position coach has left the building, and by most accounts, UT is still facing a real uphill battle next season. Meanwhile, Mich St. which is close to home appears to be the place where he can instantly become receiver #1 on the depth chart at a program that's clearly ahead of UT...perhaps his dad is really ill and that is the real reason (who knows), but by the comments I've read it appears Mich St. may be the real issue here....Just saying.

thevoice writes:

in response to kwcoach:

Good idea. The problem is, we need 50+/- players to field a team. Not sure if we'd have enough left.

SEAL_9821 writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan:

You said it best!!!! I'm not going to dawg the kid, but from what i see on Michigan St forums is he just wants to play for Sparty and be close to home. No indications that his dad is in bad shape. With that being said...I seriously wish the NCAA and institutions would start penalizing student athletes harder for leaving a school for another. If a reason dictates they need to leave for serious family, health, or other personal reasons then so be it. This transfer phooey is killing teams all around college today. It's hard for teams to build programs because they never know who is gonna leave at yrs end. Kids need to grow up these days and be held accountable. It's not a harsh statement, it's reality.

Tennesseebob writes:

TN has a bunch of 4 star receivers coming in. Justin Hunter will be back along with Da'Rick Rogers. Call me cruel but I think that has more to do with this young man's transfer request than his Dad. His Dad was sick when he signed with TN. Plus, I have a big problem with the young man telling an MSU website he wanted to transfer THREE weeks ago.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

I cant believe UT fans still believe this junk. How many kids must give up a SEC scholly and just walk away before you see the writing on the wall. Instead of telling the kids "if you dont wanna be here go away" give them a reason to stay. Vandy had three coaching changes and not one player quit or transfered. The string of players started with Rogan trying to go pro, Aaron Douglas through Bryce Brown and OKU, two qb's in Stephens and Lamison(Lamison did great at UTEP), problems like Janzen Jackson. And nobody knows if Hunter will ever be what he was before the acl tear. Seems he is more worried about the Olympics. How many good recruits must walk before you wake UP!! Take off those Orange glasses and open your eyes. There is trouble on the Hill and it better be corrected quickly. Once you are no longer a Glamour school, its all over.

CrankE writes:

If he doesn't have a great shot to play at a mediocre UT, why would he suddenly have a better shot to play at Michigan or Michigan State-both of whom had very good seasons? And why talk with SpartanTailgate? Smells fishy to me.

When the family situation is dire enough, you don't ask, you act. This story seems like a lot of the former and less of the latter.

(Disclosure: Yes, I have walked a mile in shoes similar to these before and I didn't ask, I acted. I wish him and the family the best.)

graphpro#231211 writes:

Hamilton put us in a decade downfall. Lets let Dooley continue to recruit players. We'll see what happens this upcoming fall. At least the team will have some talent and depth.

After next season, I believe the powers that be will make much better decisions (YEAH!).

Hamilton rarely made good decisions. He was good for upgrading the facilities and raising money and terrible at making leadership and staff decisions!

The result is we're not getting out of this quickly and he got a million dollars. WOW!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Its not Hamilton's fault, it's Dickey's fault!!Why keep kicking the dead horse. Look ahead, not behind. As far as this story, could be more fall-out from the Baggett problem. The agitators need to go, Da'rick, Arnett, and anyone else (even Bray if he isn't 100% in the game attitude-wise). Dooley will get it done. 8-4 next yr.

mdvol writes:

If the Dooley party every implodes, I would spend whatever it took to get Chip Kelley from Oregon here. I bet if Muschamp doesn't make it, the Gators will be knocking on his door.

adimatteo#261830 writes:

assuming he only wants to be released to school in Michigan, and it is due to health of dad, I would like to think UT would oblige.
I just saw on ESPN article that he says UT will not allow him to be released to major school, not sure if that is accurate, hope not, again assuming his father has failing health.

orangeman1 writes:

I just get a feeling of total lack of respect for Dooley from some of the players. Arnett speaking to media saying what he did and he hasnt even spoke with Dooley about a release. B Brown jerked Dooley around. So did J Jackson. Then we here stories about Darick Rogers and Bray and it makes me wonder what is going on. If this was truly about a personal issue about his fathers health then why wouldnt he have already spoken with Dooley. This was obviously an ongoing situation with his Dads health according to the other article. I just hope Dooley can win 8 next year cause I dont know how much more I can take and keep my hopes up.

TXTN writes:

ESPN's article is saying that according to Arnett, Dooley will only release him to a MAC school in the state of Michigan. Dooley just needs to release this kid to go to any school in Michigan. Michigan State and Michigan should be the least of our worries right now. Let's focus on beating Vandy and Kentucky before we start trying to conquer the nation again. Holding this kid's scholarship hostage just makes Dooley look petty.

Vol43 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Orangeman , I'm with you here. I support coach and I'm hoping against hope that he holds this thing together. Things I hear do concern me. GBO

tensie2004 writes:

in response to manniesghost1903:

Without a doubt something was wrong with the team chemistry at Kentucky, maybe this is the answer but who knows.

cyclonevol87 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

I agree why would you talk to a newspaper about it before you talk to Dooley doesnt make sense.

barefoot43 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Why can’t you wake up and understand that this has been happening since football began. Every program loses players for one reason or another each year. Fannie Admirals players are in a catch 22. Where are they going to go? They are at Peabody because very few schools wanted them to start with.

If they don’t want to be here – for whatever reason- they should leave. Each one of the players in your examples had a reason to leave. Some good, some not so good - does not matter what the reason. Most of their decisions to leave did not work out too well. In particular Bryce Brown, who you keep laying out there like the problem was UT’s. Obviously, logic is not your strong suit. I don’t think Bryce Brown is on the KSU team now either (third team was as high as he rose). If a player does not want to be there they will do nothing but drag a “team” down. You should know this, you and others like you or exactly like you, claim to be a fan of UT but apparently you do not want them to succeed and would rather be pulling for someone else. Leave! Do not expound your idiotic and unfounded phooey around true Volunteer fans. Just leave! Go to the ship’s site and praise them there or kiss their behinds on their site but just leave. Winning cures all ills in college football. I suggest you button your ignorant lips and let it play out.

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to kevin151:

Sorry for the Dad but something doesn't sound right here. Time will tell....

I agree with you on the Dad thing. He was planning on signing with Michigan St., to start with, but changed his mind and igned a LOC with TN. I may be dumb in this area, but it seems to me if you sign a LOC with a Team you should honor it. When you sign a LOC with a school you are saying you give me a free ride and I will play football for you, no and, buts, excuses about it. His Dad may be sick, I don't know. I am a 100% Dis-Abled Veteran and when my son signed a LOC and my health didn't come in play. It was my son playing, not me. My disabilities kept me from traveling to some games, but I did see at least 75% of his games. This has the smell of a fish market (a fishy smell). I think he is homesick and cannot "man up and say so". What about the 18-19 year old kids in Afgan? They cannot ask for transfer because they aren't close to home, getting shot at every day. I bet they would swap places with Arnett in a minute. If he does fit in with TN., how does he know he will fit in at another school? He needs to grow up and go play fotball and forget which team he will fit in with. Seems to me like some coaches at other schools have been talking to him, which is against NCAA Rules, isn't it? He may be barred from College Football all together. He needs to be camful what he is writing on Michigan St blog and his tweeter!!

snakeplissken writes:

in response to TXTN:

This is about to get embarrassing for UT because of Dooley's total stupidity. Dooley sure liked the fact that Notre dame released Bullard, yet Dooley won't do it for Arnett???

Prostar writes:

I think Coach Dooley is being generous and consistent. The kid writes a letter and has it published in the paper, he already is on a Mich. St. website and he hasn't had the courtesy to talk to Coach Dooley. The father didn't just become ill. I'm sorry for his disability but Arnett is using it as an excuse. UT has honored its commitment in every way to the kid, now it's time for him to show some respect. If he doesn't like his options, leave UT, go the JUCO route and then try to get his shot at MSU. He has gone about this in the most underhanded, dishonest and deceitful way. Hang tough Coach.

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

Wow!!

Excellent post, especially in response to a "commode door homie" of his advanced nature.

Also love the simile about the window, really, I've got to write that down.

LMAO

OwensboroVol writes:

The more I read about this, the more concerned I am about the reason for the request to transfer. His dad was sick when he signed with Tennessee. His comments on the Spartan Website was that the Program at Tennessee "isn't the right fit" for him and his family. What does that mean? If he is requesting a release because of his sick Father, How come he insist on going to schools that are farther away from his home than others? Looks like he would want to be as close as possible. I'm going to trust Dooley on this one. Looks like there are a lot of things involved that aren't being put out for the public. Remember that the University and Dooley are restricted as to what they can say and do, while Arnett can say anything he wants.