Safety Eddrick Loften signs again with Vols

Eddrick Loften

Photo by Rivals

Eddrick Loften

Eddrick Loften came up short the first time, and he couldn't make it by the second deadline, either.

But the safety from Texas still hasn't given up on playing football for Tennessee, and a third chance to make it as a qualifier is coming up.

Tennessee confirmed on Thursday that Loften signed another National Letter of Intent with the program, making him the 28th member of the 2011 class and signaling another run from him at fulfilling the academic requirements needed to allow him to provide some help for the Vols in the secondary.

Loften's status was closely followed throughout Derek Dooley's first fall camp, with both the player and coach holding out hope he would earn the necessary test score in time to contribute for the Vols last season.

But a little more than a week before the opener, Loften was officially ruled out and another timeline was established.

"He's not a qualifier, but there's still a chance," Dooley said on Aug. 25. "He can do some things to become a qualifier, so he's in the limbo stage.

"Now, we're going to pass the deadline of coming in the fall, so the best-case for Eddrick is to get here mid-year."

That didn't happen for Loften, either.

But another opportunity is on the way.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Links

IBleedOrange71 writes:

Now we know! C'mon Mr. Loften, lets make it work this time!

IBleedOrange71 writes:

Ok, so I'm proud...and it is not an easy thing to do in such a great fan base, but I was finally first for the first time ever! Yay me!!! Go Vols!

SEC1 writes:

in response to IBleedOrange71:

Now we know! C'mon Mr. Loften, lets make it work this time!

8ball writes:

in response to SEC1:

Winner Auburn 28 loser ala 27 end of story..

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to SEC1:

Still consumed by all things Tennessee, huh?
Sad, just plain sad.

huntined#565710 writes:

Maybe the third time is a charm...Just hope he can make it this time...Not everyone gets this many chances ....

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

Way to display that "never give up attitude" Mr Loften. Good luck young man.

boroviathaochvolsfan writes:

in response to SEC1:

You are an idiot...just thought you might want to know.

murrayvol writes:

in response to IBleedOrange71:

And second too. Quite the day IBO. :{)

murrayvol writes:

in response to Lostvolinhighweeds:

Way to display that "never give up attitude" Mr Loften. Good luck young man.

He may have the Gerald Williams gene.

nocleats writes:

Kid wants to be a VOL. Come on Ed, you can do it.

murrayvol writes:

in response to SEC1:

4th in the West and you're still crawling out from under that rock. Shameless!

JSamson7 writes:

in response to SEC1:

Do you have any stolen textbooks I can purchase?? Wait a minute... Maybe I should try Wal Mart!

DRORANGELOVE writes:

in response to SEC1:

You are one pathetic puppy my friend. Its people like you who makes the rest of the world think all of us from the Deep South are ignorant.

I bet your family tree looks like a telephone pole.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to murrayvol:

He may have the Gerald Williams gene.

An admirable gene that is NEVER to be underestimated.

SmokeyDayAfternoon writes:

Do people not know how lame it is to come on internet sites and try to talk trash. You really just make yourself look stupid.

Mtnbiker writes:

Scary fact sometimes it takes 3 tries. I used to be a EMT and I passed the exam with flying colors, but failed the practical exam twice before completing it. First time total blank, second time did everything correct except in reverse order. Each test was different or I'd passed the second time lol Worked 6 months and quit after scraping a friend off the pavement.
Sure hope he has better luck than me in that regard. Postal worker now go figure.

bebecerveza writes:

I admire him for doing this, but we just brought in 7 potential DB's, do we really need to use a scholarship on another DB? Unless a couple of these safeties are going to be moved to LB, than why not save it and go after more DL help next year we need that a lot more.

Vol_FAN_atic writes:

in response to SEC1:

Dear SEC1,

Dude! you're on the Vol site every day! What team is it that you support? Some trolls here actually have insightful posts! You are just an Arse for the sake of being an Arse! Grow up a little and garner the respect you really crave, not the negative kind by the way. If negative attention is what you crave, then I am truely sorry for your state of mind. You're either a child or have the intellect of one. Either way its not a good position to be in. Sucks for you! People who "get off" on such things lack reasonable social skills typically and cant find a place to "fit in" so they find joy in ruffling others feathers. I cant say that I've never done it myself but it is in moderation, not the norm! Get a LIFE!!! Signed, Concerned

PUL4VOLS writes:

So that's where the 28 in Dooley's head originated. I hope the Loften kid makes it. Go BIG ORANGE!

MusicCityVol writes:

You can never have enough great athletes! I hope it works out this time.

Madkels writes:

I admire his tenacity, but the story could have been more indepth to include what he has been doing to qualify.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to shen24:

Now see, there's always something to be thankful for....You're not Shen24...can't you just imagine!

thetrollhunter writes:

in response to shen24:

Alabama's team last year was the most underachieving team ever. You had an unstoppable offense and the best you could do was 4th in the West. Is that the best Alabama could do?

eVOLved writes:

Maybe not the best academic student, but hopefully a genius on the football field. GBO!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to shen24:

Oooo the great Farragut has spoken.

Attention Vol fans: Farragut is the end-all, be-all of college football. Bow down to his vast supremacy on anything regarding the sport.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

5 star troll Shen rears his ugly head again. The more the stars...........the worse troll they are.

Upgraded from a 3 to a 5..........

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to bebecerveza:

You could text CDD and give him this advice.

JSamson7 writes:

in response to shen24:

Shen24, Farragut moron... You should know that between 1995-2008, Tennessee won 10 games (1995-2001, 2003, 2004, & 2006) and Alabama won 6 games (2002, 2005, 2007, 2008-2010). Get your facts straight, punk. You should also know that being from Farragut, you really have no ground to stand on talking football...

DRORANGELOVE writes:

My definition of having to spend time in Hell: Having to be in the same room with SEC1 and shen24 at the same time for 2 days and have to put up with both their stupidity AND arrogance. Now "THAT" would be hell.

BillyVol writes:

Thanks to the Coaching staff for sticking with Lofton, sometimes we give up to easy on folks.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to shen24:

Witch Doctor say you a little thin-skinned to be out trolling...Witch Doctor say gonna have to quit crying if you cant take it.
Bones never lie.

Mule_Days_King writes:

Good luck Eddrick. Hope you are able to qualify and finally wear the Orange and White.

SEAL_9821 writes:

in response to JSamson7:

Don't let this so called bama fan get under the skin. Truth is, he probably couldn't name 5 players on bama's roster right now. I'm sure he went and bought a bama shirt after saban got hired and started acting as if he were a solid fan. The Vols are on the rise gentleman. It's gonna be great days ahead on Rocky Top soon. I can hear Neyland rocking now like it did in the 90's. It's a beautiful thing. GOD BLESS

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to boroviathaochvolsfan:

You are an idiot...just thought you might want to know.

how would he know?

bobbarbilly writes:

Stupidity is a blessing for some of these trolls. It gives them a temporary place to catch their breath as they slide rapidly down the ladder of mental competence.

RoadTrip writes:

I am amazed that these trolls get their jollies from talking trash on a Vols site unless they truly are sick people, or KNS plants. Cool thing about VolNation is that there is an IGNORE button and all of a sudden - no more garbage in.

Loften's HS coach said he was actually better than Bob Sanders was in high school. So my guess is he will play in the box when there is a need to stop the run like EB did his senior season. I feel about him like I did for Gerald Williams. Dude wants to be a Vol come what may. May hat's off to him and I will cheer him with gusto come fall.

iadvol writes:

Are we running a 3-2-6 scheme this fall..enough DB's already! DL's and LB's please!!!!

Voluvr writes:

If everyone would ignore and not respond to lopers.....they would go away. How do you get rid of mice......remove the food.

So, is Eddrick in this fall or not?

RoadTrip writes:

in response to Madkels:

The rest of the story is probably on 24/7. Or else Austin had a brain fade and forgot to ask the question. Either way it is typical KNS journalism.

LOWCOUNTRYVOL writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Amen, Doc!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

There have been a lot of articles on this lately. Studies have shown that Internet trolls tend to have inferiority complexes and difficulty with authority.

The anonymous nature of the internet allows cowards to be 'powerful' at least in their own mind.

TDTN writes:

Does anyone remember how he was rated coming out of high school? Not that stars mean anything but I am curious to see how this addition will impact our overall class ranking.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to shen24:

proud alabubba fan since 2008

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Madkels:

Actually it seems he is not doing enough if he is on his third try.Dang,I hurt to the bottom of my feet to agree with that stupid jerk that calls himself SEC1,but if he does get Qualified,what are his chances of staying qualified? Sure hope he does and more sure I hope he graduates.Thanks Dooley for giving him many chances.

As for SEC1,surely this would never happen at such a fine institution as Alabama.They only sign Rhodes Schollars.

USNVOL writes:

in response to SEC1:

Tigers 28 Elephants 27....SMILE !

VOLtage writes:

in response to shen24:

My comment to shen24 would have gotten the above response by the KNS.

USNVOL writes:

in response to Vol_FAN_atic:

Dear SEC1,

Vol Fan,
Man you hit the nail on the head,he like the rest of the trolls that come on this site are only looking for attention something that they are missing in their life.
Great post.

HtownVol writes:

If Lofton makes it UT is going to have possibly the most talented and deepest DBs in the country.

The "stars" dont all look impressive (although we could have 3-4 stars and a 5 star starting next year but if you look at the stats of the FR coming in they are as impressive as it gets for a DB. Most of them had over 100 tackles last year, and for a DB in High School that is very hard to do (more HS coaches use a running Offense than passing).

DB was a position that scared me a lot at UT last season. Art Evans had a hard time covering anyone, Brewer is talented but he had been out of football for what 5 years, Teague switched from WR and so on.

I could go on for a long, long time on how UT is going to be so much deeper and more talented at every position next year (except maybe LB, but we have talent there also) but if you all look into the situations I can bet that we are all pretty confident that UT will be a much stronger team next season. However we are still a young team so do not expect a SEC Championship for 2 years at minimum ( then again UF is down, UGA still has Richt, USC is a toss up, and then the bottom feeders are still in the East-thats for you "VandyGrad").

The future is very exciting at UT!

TDTN writes:

Vol Fans, please stop responding to the idiot trolls. It only litters our sight with more of their garbage. Think about it, is a bama fan worth the time it takes to type an insult. Besides, unless their toothless mother is looking over their shoulder who would read it to them?