Bjorklund unlikely to play

Tennessee's Angie Bjorklund (5) looks over her shoulder after getting possession of the ball during the Lady Vols' 83-40 win at Florida on Thursday.

Photo by Phil Sandlin, Associated Press

Tennessee's Angie Bjorklund missed another women's basketball practice Friday because of a right foot injury, and Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt all but ruled out the senior guard for Monday's game at Kentucky.

"We're not expecting her to play, and rightfully so,'' Summitt said. "We just don't want to fast-forward anything because there's a lot more basketball to play."

Fellow guards Taber Spani (shin) and Kamiko Williams (concussion) were back on the court for practice. Both players, who were sidelined on Thursday, did watch a few segments of the workout.

Guard Lauren Avant was a spectator Friday because of a lingering illness, and guard Sydney Smallbone was away tending to a personal matter.

Although Bjorklund is Tennessee's top 3-point shooter and one of the team's leading scorers, she will be missed against Kentucky for her experience and steadying presence. Wildcats opponents average 25.4 turnovers a game (24 in SEC play). Kentucky's turnover margin is plus-8.1.

Freshman point guard Meighan Simmons conceded on Friday that she's starting to feel the effects of her initial collegiate season. She is making the necessary adjustments.

"When the season goes on and you have more games and you're traveling a lot, you need to eat a lot more and go to bed earlier,'' Simmons said. "Sometimes I stay up late doing homework. I'm trying to make sure I get things done ahead of time so I don't have to worry about it later on."

Dan Fleser covers Lady Vols basketball. He may be reached at 865-342-6288. Follow him at http://twitter.com/fleserKNS and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/fleser/

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SoddyVol writes:

The lineup against Ky. is going to be real interesting. Will it look the same as against Ark.?

Ga_Dave writes:

Get well soon, Bjork, we need you back. GLV

bmaples writes:

Hate not having Angie against the Lady Kitties. Here's hoping the Lady Vols find some other hot hands for that game, and drown the Cats in both paint points and deep bombs. GLV!

Bruce in Louisville

flatrock writes:

Give the ball to Kamiko! Please get Simmons back to the 2G and turn them loose with Johnson, Stricklen and Spani. Enjoy!

xvolx writes:

If Spani and Simmons can't knock down threes, Ladies could be in trouble or they can just duke it out on the inside.

PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

I hope Angie can heal quickly. I still feel the lady vols have enough horses to win this game. Spani has come on strong as of late. I think they will be fine, but would love to have Angie on the floor. Strick, Spani, Williams and Simmons will just have to step up on the perimeter!

madrigal writes:

Sad fact is it sometimes takes longer to recover from a sprain or other soft tissue injury than from a fracture. Get better soon, Angie!

volsgirl writes:

Angie take good care of your seft and get well soon....I hope to see you soon on the floor

As others have said, it would be nice to have a HEALTHY Angie on the court Monday, but the others have really stepped up their games lately, especially Shekinna, Glory, and Taber. UK up there will be their toughest SEC test, but if they can get this one without Angie and she takes the time to get back 100%, they will be in good shape for a strong stretch run, hopefully all the way to a Final Four! It would surely help if Vicki and Lyssi are able to contribute and Meighan can climb over that "freshman wall".

kazoo writes:

What is the deal with Avant? I've never heard of a player with more injuries, illnesses, nicks, pains and other issues. She's 18 and seems to have the constitution of an 80-year-old. She's pretty much lost a crucial year, her first, with all of her physical woes.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to kazoo:

Don't know if its the same thing but Avant missed a lot of games in High School with bronchial problems. She was explosive with the ball and has a great short range jumper. Has SEC speed and good decision making. If her attitude is right (hard to say about freshmen) my hopes are that she gets is condition to play. Maybe needs to develop a little more range on her jump shots.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Unfortunately,the two most highly rated outside shooters for both the men and women ( Angie and Scotty ) are out with the same type injuries. Those practices must be pretty intense.

ps11824 writes:

Try as I may, it's difficult to be encouraged with all these injuries and illnesses. Maybe because it's my team it feels like we have had way more than our share of this stuff. I cannot remember a Lady Vols team that was 100% healthy at any given time. That can't be realistic, can it? I suppose the reason is, I don't notice the same on other teams.

Is it simply the nature of the beast to constantly have a "key player" sidelined for long stretches, and by the time that player gets back onto the court, another goes down?

I do not have a good feeling about Avant at all. I'm not understanding why we signed her. Please note this post isn't intended to be negative, it's just oozing frustration; {

Maybe after our fellas whip Bammer today, I'll perk up for tomorrow.

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

I understand that both teams practice pretty hard a good deal of the time, but an ankle can be hurt just as easily in a routine defensive-slide drill as in a full-scale scrimmage.

in response to ps11824:

Maybe after our fellas whip Bammer today, I'll perk up for tomorrow.

You might be right that we just hear more about the LVs' physical woes than we do those of other teams. Still, it DOES seem that the LVs have been especially unlucky that way this year.

I hope you have good reason to perk up after the men's game against Bama! This will be the toughest test they have had in awhile. If they get by this one, they should have no reason to fear a physical team the rest of the season.

ps11824 writes:

johnlg, Do you think there will be any blood shed, or a flagrant tech or two? I think Tony Jones is doing a masterful job in Bruce's absence. I'm anxious to see the transition next game when Coach returns.

Earlier on I was trying to imagine what life would be like if the ladies had to play w/o Pat for 8 games. I'm thinking the kids would play their butts off for fear of being busted upon her return.

I hope not to see any blood, 98, but I do expect a lot of fouls and a lot of Vols in the ice bath after the game. Hope nobody ELSE gets hurt with a trip to UK--ack!--coming up on Tuesday.

dwa7#337691 writes:

early predict......sorry
Lady Vols 68
Mild Kittens 73

SoddyVol writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

early predict......sorry
Lady Vols 68
Mild Kittens 73

Don't let some of the news we've been getting affect your prediction. LVols will be ready. They can win at Ky. and the score will not be that close.