Scotty Hopson won't play against Alabama

Tennessee's Scotty Hopson (32) and Mississippi guard Dundrecous Nelson (5) go for the ball during an NCAA college basketball game in Oxford, Miss., on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011.

Photo by Bruce Newman, Associated Press

Tennessee junior shooting guard Scotty Hopson, who suffered a sprained left ankle in last Tuesday's practice and didn't play at Auburn on Thursday, will miss the Vols game against Alabama on Saturday in Thompson-Boling Arena.

UT coach Bruce Pearl announced Hopson would not play following Friday's practice. Hopson stretched and shot with the team, but did not take part in any drills or activities.

Hopson leads the Vols in scoring (16.5 points per game), 3-point field goals made (35) and minutes (28.9 per game).

Pearl said senior Josh Bone would make a second start in place of Hopson against the Crimson Tide.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bmaples writes:

Well ... one site has Tennessee's RPI at 18, and Bama's at 111. Yes, they're one of the best in the West, but that ain't sayin' much, to quote some of my ET friends. I think the Vols will handle Bama w/o Hopson. This will give other players some more time, which can only help come tourney time. GBO!

Bruce in Louisville

dvols writes:

good move....sec needs alabama to get in the show....anthony grant is doing a good job down there....

Voluvr writes:

Won't need him. Basketball in Bama has always been wimpy!

murrayvol writes:

in response to dvols:

Yes, yes, and yes....but the only way Bama gets in the show is by winning the SEC tournament.

iowavol writes:

Opportunity comes knocking...run with it and run hard.

BubbaJ writes:

Bama is not a bad basketball team, very athletic. Hopson on a good day really might be the difference. That said, if Bone plays like he is capable, and Cam Tatum brings his A game, the loss of Scottie will be offset. Hopefully, Brian Williams will pick up where he left of at Auburn. Could be a tight one. I am picking The Big Orange.

VOLKING writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

But Arkansas is a beast, right? Why'd you leave them out? Oh.....wait...yeah. LOL. At least we lost to them at their place! Bama beat UK. Let's see your poindexters do that. Vandygrad, you kill me. I mean, really, you should take this act on the road. I really enjoy your posts. A Vandy fan (there's only 6 of them, after all) trying to talk smack on a Vol site. Hahahahaha!

govols1946 writes:

"Tennessee's Scotty Hopson (32) and Mississippi guard Dundrecous Nelson (5) go for the ball during an NCAA college basketball game in Oxford, Miss., on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011".

I guess Scotty wasn't in Knoxville for the Mississippi game, based on the photo caption to this article! Who knows, maybe BP was really at Ole Miss, as well (sic)!

Florida Vol!

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Must not be too wimpy, they've beaten Kentucky and other good teams and are leading the SEC. Anthony Grant is an excellent coach and is turning this team around. They've won 9 of the last 10, so I wouldn't discount them if I were you.

in response to RollTideJoe:

I agree. It scares me how lightly many of our fans seem to be taking the Tide. However, I may be wrong since I don't have their schedule before me right now, but didn't UK win their game with Bama? It was a while ago, and my memory may be flawed, but I watched that game and I thought the score was something like 56-50, UK. Feel free to correct me; unlike some on here, I can accept being wrong sometimes.

in response to CatScratchFever:

Thanks! I guess I had some other game in mind. I agree that this should be a good game. The Vols really need it, and I believe Bama's low RPI is due to some bad losses in the pre-season and the fact that they are in the SEC West. I DON'T think it reflects how well they are playing NOW.

golfingunder72 writes:

Im glad he isnt starting. Everyone thinks UT needs Hopson, give me a break. The offense looked better against Auburn than any game since pittsburgh...makes it easy not "having" to throw to one person.

in response to golfingunder72:

Congrats on your golf score, if true. However, even though I have been critical of Scotty on here before, there is no way they are better off without him than they are with him. I did like the flow of the offense against Auburn, but 1) Auburn was one of the three or four worst teams we played all year and 2) the offense has looked better for several games now, including the ones Scotty played in and against better competition.

wellswillie#404648 writes:

we'll miss Scotty. It's gonna be a DEFENSIVE game!!