University of Georgia Bulldogs mascot UGA dies

In this photo taken Oct. 16, 2010, Georgia's mascot Uga VIII sits in his doghouse on the sidelines during an NCAA college football game between Georgia  and Vanderbilt  in Athens, Ga.   The English bulldog, who had  been diagnosed with lymphoma, died Friday, Feb. 4, 2011.

Photo by AP Photo / John Bazemore

In this photo taken Oct. 16, 2010, Georgia's mascot Uga VIII sits in his doghouse on the sidelines during an NCAA college football game between Georgia and Vanderbilt in Athens, Ga. The English bulldog, who had been diagnosed with lymphoma, died Friday, Feb. 4, 2011.

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) — UGA VIII, Georgia's white English bulldog mascot, died Friday from lymphoma, ending his reign as mascot after only half of a season.

Georgia senior associate athletic director Claude Felton said no formal funeral service had been scheduled.

Uga VIII died before serving a full season on the Sanford Stadium sideline. He took over as the team's mascot for Georgia's Oct. 16 game against Vanderbilt and was mascot for the final six games of the regular season.

The white English bulldog was diagnosed with lymphoma in early January, but the school said he had been responding well to treatment. He missed Georgia's Liberty Bowl loss to Central Florida with what was believed to be a gastrointestinal condition. Further tests revealed the more serious condition.

Uga VIII took over last season for Russ, Uga VII's half brother who filled in as mascot in 2009 and early in 2010.

Felton said Russ again will step in as the school's mascot.

Uga VIII, who was 17 months old, lived with the Frank W. "Sonny" Seiler family of Savannah, Ga. The family has owned the Uga line of mascots for 50 years.

The dog's registered name was "Big Bad Bruce" in honor of Dr. Bruce Hollett of the University of Georgia's school of veterinary medicine. Hollett has helped in the care and treatment of the line mascots.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

Rest in Peace, little doggie. Rest in peace.

jdcdjc writes:

You must be hurting for something to write about.
Who cares!!!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

In response to the above...........I for one do care.
An animal lover, especially a dog, I hate to hear of this happening to anyone's pet, or mascot.

If this had been Smokey or even a Washington Husky mascot, I'd feel the same way. Really sorry to hear of this loss for them. We may have rivals, but don't take it out on an animal.

bowman58#262482 writes:

Doggone

CCLC writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

In response to the above...........I for one do care.

Peace.

crappieking writes:

in response to jdcdjc:

You must be hurting for something to write about.
Who cares!!!

Show some class moron. If that's possible.

TennesseeRhett writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

Honestly, I really do think that would be news in those towns. When your mascot is the face of one of the most storied football schools in a part of the country that treats football as a religion, people take notice.

TNVol72 writes:

in response to crappieking:

Show some class moron. If that's possible.

I agree... show some class... you @ss!

rockytopwestone writes:

It may be a rivals dog but I still hate to hear about anybodys dog dying !

PeeEllthree writes:

When will the NCAA investigate how the GA recruit was able to obtain a $2000 puppy bulldog to show at his signing? Clearly, a huge violation and on the same level as a horrific, cheating, cookout.

SEC_man writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

Seriously????

It was a friends dog not his. It would be like me borrowing your UT hat to use when picking a school. White bullpups are a dime a dozen in south Georgia.

PeeEllthree writes:

in response to SEC_man:

Seriously????

Trolls are one thing. Dumbazz trolls are even better. Welcome aboard.

dvols writes:

maybe the Seiler family needs to be investigated....

bigkluvsorange writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

YES THEY WOULD !!!!!

SEC_man writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

Trolls are one thing. Dumbazz trolls are even better. Welcome aboard.

So you KNOW that someone gave him a $2000 dog? I'm sure the kid would rather have the cash instead of a bullpup. Since it was done on national TV I'm pretty sure that the NCAA will do it's thing if it is indeed a violation. However I doubt allowing someone to use/borrow your dog as a prop is a violation.

You should be worrying about your own program with the cookoutgate, hostessgate and now Low is reporting that Ol' Ed Crazy Eyes was giving recruits personal workouts.

PeeEllthree writes:

in response to SEC_man:

I'm bored so I'll play, since your elevator seems to stop short of the top floor. Here's the deal. Mark Richt's brother owns a pet shop. It's called 50/50, which I believe refers to how the Richt bros brush their hair. A current investigation is under way that each and every recruit has been given a pure breed bulldog in the past 3 years. Richt bros 50/50 pet shop is under investigation for booster involvement and truly sending b$tches to recruits, somewhat like coach reeves, but a little different. Stay tuned.

SEC_man writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

Hey man back off the hair...that Barney Rubble do is all the rage. Sorry Sheik I thought you were being serious about the pup in the first post. It was cool but not nearly as cool as a recruit pulling a Gator out of bag.

jdcdjc writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

In response to the above...........I for one do care.

If it was Smokey I would care. I don't care if Uga and all his backups pass. Wouldn't want anyone to hurt him but I for one will not miss him.

jdcdjc writes:

in response to crappieking:

Show some class moron. If that's possible.

Surprised you know how to spell class. Get a life.

SEC1 writes:

in response to SEC_man:

Seriously????

What if it was that flea ridden blue tic hound smokey that kicked the bucket how would you feel then? hippocrites

SEC_man writes:

in response to SEC1:

I was talking about the recruit holding up the bullpup this week not the passing of UGA. I am a dog lover and anytime one is abused or dies I feel for the family of the dog.

CCLC writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

I thought you weren't gonna be so harsh spirited.
"A football game inside Sanford Stadium is to be played not just between the hedges, but on Uga's turf. There should always be opposing players just outside of his leash's reach. But on Saturday evening, Uga VI's Loran's Best will be playing upstairs with Uga V's Whatchagot Loran. Perhaps Erk will even throw down a bag of ice. There'll be a tussle.

And we'll smile. Cuz our mascot is adored. The Uga lineage has posed for more pictures than any Hollywood star on the supposed walk of fame. Each interaction is cherished. Each casual glance rewarded with that lovable wrinkled countenance. How else could you explain the fact that Uga's line in August is longer than all others...put together? Clint Eastwood once said to Uga, I'm gonna make you a celebrity. To which Cecilia Seiler responded, Excuse me, Mr. Eastwood...but Uga is already a celebrity."
RIP UGA...and you Mr. PL3 can just KMA.
just sayin'

PeeEllthree writes:

in response to CCLC:

I thought you weren't gonna be so harsh spirited.

RIP UGA...and you Mr. PL3 can just KMA.
just sayin'

You must be more bored than I. Your rambling speech is something everyone on here should know, just in case someone ever asks them for some worthless information that wasted a minute or 2 of their life. Then you had to go personal with the anti PL3 shout out? Amazing, you often ridicule the UT program, with a few positive comments thrown in. Yet I make a jab at a 47/53 HC coif and upset you to the point of blatant, personal attacks and defending the story of UGa with a blatantly, cheating plagiarism of whatever article you pulled up this morning. How dare you. You are in the business and should know plagiarism laws. Cite it when on the site.

CCLC writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

There you go again with more over the top rhetoric. My quote was from a forwarded email that alerted me about the passing of UGa one of which (the Clint Eastwood ref) I was familiar with. Not having the source sited in the body of the text of the email I placed my ref piece in quotes and thought it fitting memory of Bruce. That was your tip off that it was a reference Pl3 Blog Police. If you sincerely needed the author I suppose you might politely request it and I might be inclined to help run it down. This is not Wikipedia I'm responding to here. You are unusually critical of anything anyone says that you suspect doesn't know the words to Rocky Top by heart or wear an orange hat to church on Sunday. This stems from your need to post in such a manner as to maintain your control on the thread; so you and others like you can validate each other's opinions at the expense of any they don't like. How dare you indeed.
"The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.” Oscar Wilde (Irish Poet, Novelist, Dramatist and Critic, 1854-1900). You sir are no artist.

cloudodust writes:

in response to chuma:

A UGA friend of mine told me this line of ha-ha would happen. I hoped it would stay on a GT blog, but nope. He also told me Golden Retrievers suffer this disease at a rate of 1 outta 8. Be that as it may, Georgia people love that dog, no matter it's Roman numeral. And the world moves on...GBO

BOHICA writes:

For all of you saying this is not newsworthy you have proved yourselves wrong just by commenting on it. After all, you read it so something must have piqued your interest.

PeeEllthree writes:

in response to CCLC:

Neither wear an orange hat to church, nor do I know the words to Rocky Top. Not an artist either. Just pointing out that you use many words, but say little. It's annoying. Then, if you do have something of value, it's stolen from another person. Plagiarism. Blatant. See. Fewer words, but much said.

murrayvol writes:

in response to jdcdjc:

You must be hurting for something to write about.
Who cares!!!

Dog lovers all over the world....especially in Georgia.

CCLC writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

I am not suggesting that every idiotic post has worth even after its shouted down by the masses. Sometimes a dumbazz post is just a dumbazz post. I usually put yours within this context.
I have no problem with responsible source citing , I’ve even published a couple of times. However the reason I don’t have a problem without citing sources here as long as its pointed out as a reference by quotes is I think of GOVolXtra as a chat board with really long posts, not a actual source of journalism. You don't really think this is Journalism do you? Do you? C'mon...your kidding..right? Does any of this make sense to you? Honestly, sometimes I feel guilty of child abuse when I get into a more intellectual exchange between us. I forgive you you're lack of understanding.
“Always forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them more.”

Oscar Wilde quotes (Irish Poet, Novelist, Dramatist and Critic, 1854-1900)

We good now?

CCLC writes:

in response to cloudodust:

You and I have traded a few barbs....I know. However, my respect for you just went up a lot. You and OrangeCountyVol are great fans and thanks for the effort.

CCLC writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

I wanted to end up saying something nice on account of Cloud and OCV.....but no.... I can't ...you can still KMA!
just sayin'

eVOLved writes:

Mark Richt should read the tea leaves and retire.

orangecountyvols writes:

CC,

Sorry for the ridicule today. I'm prob as big a Tenn fan as anyone, but I'm disappointed in some of my so-called "brethren" here. Come on guys, show just a tad bit of class. We aren't talking about a game here.

It's an animal and how do we think we'd feel if we went onto a Georgia site after( perish the thought )
Smokey passed away? Suppose they said "good riddance to that Blue tick coon hound."

Oh well, I'm not going to make any more comments about it.

everydayisorange writes:

I am an 86 years old WW2 veteran and have been an avid UT fan most of my life. I have seen games that most only have read about in news archives. With that said, I cannot believe some of the comments made about this poor animal's demise, not only from some trolls but also some Vols fans. I own an 11 year old English Bulldog, that is a very loving dog. This artical was placed in the S.E.C. section of GVX and IS NEWS because it was the mascot of a storied FB program. Anyone that doesn't want to read such threads should not, nor should they comment. I know that dogs are JUST animals, but to some, they are life long Friends and FAMILY. Most don't treat their pets this way and probably treat their friends just as badly. I cringe when I here of animal abuse, because I know that most people that do this would treat their own human family just as poorly.You can laugh at me if you like, but remember ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN. That can't be said about ALL HUMANS.

PeeEllthree writes:

in response to CCLC:

just sayin'

Yeah. You got me. Your intellect was too much to handle. You corrected me on proper plagiarism issues, and I have to go with your gut on those because you have published. Twice, I believe. Thanks for lending your thoughts and continuing to say absolutely nothing in as many words as possible. It still doesn't change the fact that Richt has a 47.5/52.5 haircut, which is what sent you into a tizzy in the first place.

CroKev writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

CCLC, you just need to gracefully back down this time. Sheik is right.

CCLC writes:

in response to CroKev:

CCLC, you just need to gracefully back down this time. Sheik is right.

Fine with me. I want to respect the blog.But I honestly feel Sheik was in poor taste.

TNVol72 writes:

in response to SEC1:

I say this for all the dog lovers all over the world...... "May the fleas of ten thousand "UT Smoky Dawgs" and "Georgia Bulldawgs" rest in your crotch, just for speaking badly about our little four-legged friends...... you ill-mannered putz!"

PeeEllthree writes:

in response to CCLC:

At no time did I make fun of the UGA bulldog's passing. Just as I don't take jabs at UGA's football program, fans, or players as some other "respectful?" posters do (you) as they visit this site as fans of other teams. I poked fun at the BP BBQ by asking about the recruit with a bulldog and it's terrible violation (sarcasm). I then pointed out CMR's terrible hair (fact). If you can't take a little fun, as much as you snipe on here, then stay away. Stop acting like a baby.

TNVol72 writes:

in response to SEC1:

And besides that, where did you go to school? Was it the University of Georgia? Just asking... You can't even spell "hypocrites" correctly, you putz!"

CCLC writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

I guess your veiled sarcasm is wasted on me. Stay on topic next time. What's with the new handle? And why pick the condom reference?
just curious?

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

The sad thing is that UGA was the smartest, and definitely the best looking member of the Georgia team. I'm sure he will be missed.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

By the way, before I get lambasted by the sensitivity police for my previous post, let me just say that I love dogs. I have a 10 year-old german sheperd back home in Tennessee that slept at the foot of my bed when he was a puppy, and it will kill me when he dies. But, this is a sports site that people come on to have fun (usually at a rival's expense). I don't think people making light of Uga's passing on this site are endorsing the past conduct of Michael Vick. They are just having fun. There's no need for the sanctimonious comments to their posts. Instead, why don't you just go drink a beer, watch Ol' Yeller and have a yourself a good cry. Sorry, I just don't like pious crybabies.

TNVol72 writes:

Well you don't have to get all "swelled up" about it! We were just having a little fun with him! Lighten up, Skippy! Have a Milk-Bone!

CCLC writes:

We all love our mascots.
Smokey IX:
"Smokey IX is accused of biting Alabama player in 2006 at Neyland Stadium. Crimson Tide receiver Mike McCoy fell on the 3-year-old dog during pregame warmups after jumping out of bounds for a pass near where Smokey was standing with the cheerleaders. What the dog did next is up for some debate. Alabama coach Mike Shula says Smokey bit the player. Smokey's owner says he didn't. As for Smokey, he only howls."

"It was over his head and he couldn't catch it, but he came down right on top of Smokey," Hudson explained. "Now what dog worth his salt wouldn't defend himself? "Smokey did not bite him. The article in the paper said he bit the player. He got a little of his uniform, didn't break the skin I was told, but Alabama made a big deal out of it I understand," Hudson said. Smokey IX was the winner in that game 2006, Vols won 16-13 over Alabama. One of the most beloved figures in the state, Smokey is famous for leading the Vols out of the giant "T" prior to each home game.
[note to all the Journalists here interested in my sources ...I found this article at smokeys-trail.com/TN/traditions.html] You see what I did there Pl3?
There all better.... now we can be friends again.
Incidentally,I'm a Trojan man myself. They are made in the USA. Sheik is made in Canada now. There are just some things I won't trust. Thought you might want to know.
just sayin'

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to CCLC:

We all love our mascots.
Smokey IX:

There all better.... now we can be friends again.
just sayin'

Ever since Kiffin left, I have refused to buy Trojans.

CCLC writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Ever since Kiffin left, I have refused to buy Trojans.

Fine! just don't buy Sheiks... theiron ly made made in Canada.
;-)