Chris Jones now going to Charlotte prep school

Tennessee men’s basketball Class of 2011 signee Chris Jones is enrolled at Evelyn Mack Academy in Charlotte, N.C.

Jones has already started attending classes there, according to a source close to the UT men’s basketball program who asked not to be identified because they don’t have the authority to speak publicly on the matter.

Jones, who was dismissed from Oak Ridge (N.C.) Military Academy on Jan. 26, is a 5-foot-10 point guard who’s rated by Rivals.com as the No. 39 player overall.

Oak Ridge Military Academy coach Stan Kowalewski said the issue that led to Jones’ dismissal was not basketball related, and Jones left in good academic standing.

Jones averaged 22.5 points, five assists, five rebounds and three steals per game for Oak Ridge Military, which was ranked No. 12 in the nation by MaxPreps.com at the time of his dismissal.

As a high school junior last season, Jones won MVP honors at the Tennessee Class AAA state tournament, scoring 35 points to lead Melrose to a 75-70 win in the title game over White Station.

Attempts to contact Jones for an interview were unsuccessful.

GetEmVols writes:

Don't mess this up

Bigger_Al writes:

Good. There are worse things in life than getting kicked out of Military School. Get back on track and make the grades.

tennrich1 writes:

The kid can PLAY...Chris, you've invested too much to this point...buckle down...

huntined#565710 writes:

Glad to hear he is in school but one more strike and he will never BE A VOL!!! With all that potential why can't he see what he has ahead of him and just do what he has to do to go get it....

OrangePride writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

From the initial report I read, he didn't actually get "kicked out." It didn't seem to be disciplinary, but so little info was given as to his reason, it led to a lot speculation that it was one of those "mutually agreed this was the best move" kind of departures. At any rate, lets hope he puts together a good academic year, completes his schooling, and qualifies to come to Tennessee. As you put it, "get back on track." Beyond that, lets hope every one of the Vols brings his A+ game to Florida.....they will all need it! GO VOLS!

orangebob writes:

in response to tennrich1:

Hey, chris can't read this.

voloffaith writes:

in response to orangebob:

Hey, chris can't read this.

Oh I see he doesn't have internet right? Cos I know you are not taking a swipe at him by implying his education is not sufficient for reading.....

on topic, hope he learns and doesn't blow a good opportunity for an education with sports thrown in.

in response to orangebob:

Hey, chris can't read this.

In announcing his departure from Oak Ridge, school authorities were careful to state that he left in good academic standing, and that school DOES emphasize academics.

MikeInTN writes:

A private K-12 school that has less than forty students, and only 4 teachers. Don't think he will be playing any hoops there!!!

Biggie writes:

in response to orangebob:

Hey, chris can't read this.

HahHahHAhHa Ok,ok...you guys lay off Orangebob.
That was funny!

BigBadVol writes:

in response to MrPearl_STILLHERE:

And you never cease demonstrating your mental midget mentality.

dvols writes:

this kid has gone from orange mound...to military school....

thats all i gots to know!

Colliervol writes:

in response to MrPearl_STILLHERE:

Hmmmm. Maybe your reasoning is why this team has made the NCAA tourney every year since Pearl became coach including 2 Sweet Sixteens, an Elite 8 appearance and more success than this program has enjoyed in 40 years. Let's see now. With all those "disappearing" players and "non-development", it's a wonder we can get out of our own way. It couldn't possibly be coaching could it, agenda boy?

You might be correct. He might not be here next year if the NCAA decides to make an example out of him. (Something they are not doing with far worse offenders.) But he has set the standard for what can be accomplished in UT men's basketball and I, for one, hope he gets to stay. But, if not, I trust that the university has seen what can happen when the right coach is hired and that is great results.

As usual, your statements make no sense. Come back when you can contribute something intelligent. (If that was the case though, you'd never appear here again.)

VOLDoll writes:

in response to Claudettevol:

Great find! Thanks.

This article is oh so true! My husband has never been a Pearl fan because he has said from day one that Pearl was the biggest self promoter in all of division 1 basketball. He and his friends go to every football game and used to go to most basketball games. Obviously they do not support Bruce Pearl because they actually care more about the integrity of the university more than Pearl going to the elite 8.
Have any of you so called basketball fans that act like Pearl has accomplished something ever stepped back and look what Butler did last year?
Do any of you remember how far tiny azs Vermont went a few years ago?
Pearls teams are so inconsistent year in and year out that you never know what team is going to show up. I am not even going to get into how much that he and his players have humilliated the UT.
As Jay Bilas has said many times, people want to criticize John Calipari, but the real fraud resides in Knoxville.
Its amazing what all of the experts think about Bruce Pearl.
Now is the time for the UT to step up and get rid of this cheating, lying, non coaching, hypocrite.

tenecvol4 writes:

Im 5 miles from Oak Ridge Military and he was caught cheating -- they dont mess around with that kind of thing at ORMC-- might have been a minor offense but oh well - better than the coach Kilwaski is a hedge fund guy who has just been charge by the SEC ( Thats Security Exchange ) for mishandling 16.5 Million in the account-- lot of money he funneled good heartedly into ORMC and was set to build a $10m Sports Plex that the student there and teams could use -- and PS to all of this - Im still upset no one from UT football would answer our calls and the coaches call about their football players -- 11 of the 33 players got Div I scholarships - Cal- Oregon- Wash State- Wisc- ECU - UNC - NC State and others - these guys were studs and several said they would like to talk to UT - got no returned calls-- I was ticked !!

PeeEllthree writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Great find! Thanks.

Do any of you remember how far tiny azs Vermont went a few years ago?
Its amazing what all of the experts think about Bruce Pearl.

Your hubby is big on integrity but is married to you? This silly lie keeps getting better. A man acting like a married woman, on a message board, talking about her fake husband and his invisible friends, and their stance on integrity. That is some good stuff.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

lol! What is silly is that you call your self the Iron Sheik. WOW! He is about as phony as Bruce Pearl.
And by the way, great response to my post. Obviously not intelligent enough to dispute what was said so you attack me personally.

tenecvol4 writes:

I wanted to correct something I earlier commented on about Oak Ridge Academy- what I said about Chris Jones and coach is correct-- the info about football players at the Academy needs updated -- 18 - not 11 players from the team of 33 signed to play College Ball- keep in mind the school has 130 students --They have signed to go to -- Wash State -Colorado- Wisconsin- Grambling- ECU- NC State-New Mexico- Maryland- Cal- South Florida - then a few to Juco's - 3 of those guys and parents came up to me at a game and asked why UT wouldnt answer their coaches call to UT -- they would have liked to gone to closer school that really has a bright future as we do at UT!! - I personally made 2 calls -- This info was in our paper tonight - I love the Vols and this made me very mad-- some of these dudes could really play

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to tenecvol4:

I see they weren't offered by any SEC school.The reason,I will guess.They weren't SEC players.

How bout taking a bus and leave the driving to us.

Ironcity writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Great find! Thanks.

Do any of you remember how far tiny azs Vermont went a few years ago?
Its amazing what all of the experts think about Bruce Pearl.

What? Do you really think that making stuff up will actually change anyone's mind ob this site? Why would anyone come to a news site of a team they don't support just to crack on the coach with made up stuff. Your life must really stink for you to spend as much time as you do on this site. You need help!

Mule_Days_King writes:

This site needs a troll enima.

volnation.com

dcap8424 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Great find! Thanks.

Do any of you remember how far tiny azs Vermont went a few years ago?
Its amazing what all of the experts think about Bruce Pearl.

You're a man. You don't have a husband. Your fake husband doesn't have any fake friends. Anyone who supports the integrity of UT supports Bruce Pearl. Butler has nothing to do with anything. Pearl's teams have consistently been ranked in the top 25 and consistently made the NCAA tournament. No one at UT is humiliated. Jay Bilas has never called Pearl a "fraud" and has never commented on John Calipari being criticized as opposed to Pearl.

You're not an expert on anything but lying. Pearl lied, but how did he cheat? I'm not sure what you mean by calling a basketball coach a non-coach. That's like saying the sky isn't blue.

Why are you here? Why don't you go troll around on Kentucky's sight. Pathetic.

vols1990 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

you are literally ridiculous. you cannot stand the fact that UT fan base is state wide, and that historically the real University of Tennessee (UT not vanderbilt) has owned you in athletics, all the way down to the no name sports. i know its frustrating when you drive through nashville and there are more UT athletics billboards along the interstates, and just as many if not more UT supporters throughout nashville, but it's the facts of life. sorry that you support a snobby, private school that looks down on others, but you should really get off the Tennessee sports site and stop embarrassing yourself.

in response to CantStandSaban:

Oh, yeah, they really thrashed them, didn't they? Took three BS calls or no-calls against Bama in the last minute or so, but sure enough they got it done in true Vandy style.

rockytom writes:

in response to tenecvol4:

Careful tenecvol. Sounds like you might be on the verge of doing a little recruiting. We don't need more problems with the NCAA. We've been warned about meddling with recruiting.

tenecvol4 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

How bout taking a bus and leave the driving to us.

I dont drive a bus-- guess we will never know if they could play for The Vols since no one even answered calls-- Ive been around UT football since 1957 and I know players when I see them-- I would say Oregon- Wisconsin - South Florida are pretty good ball teams

tenecvol4 writes:

in response to rockytom:

The calls I refer to were to UT Athletics-- I know what recruiting is and what you can and cannot do-- trust me I did nothing wrong

in response to tenecvol4:

As another poster mentioned, very few if any of those ORMA guys are going to SEC schools. Still, I take your point that the Vol staff should try to make some friends in that program. If the ORMA athletic program can survive Kowaleski's financial problems, they should have a goodly number of college-worthy players for years to come. Their biggest problem this past season seemed to be getting other schools to play them. Even with only 33 players on the team, they dominated everybody they did play.