Phil Simms regrets public confrontation with Desmond Howard

Phil Simms hasn't exactly buried the hatchet with Desmond Howard.

But the father of Tennessee quarterback Matt Simms surely won't be mixing it up with the ESPN analyst in public anymore.

Angry about on-air comments from Howard critical of Matt Simms before UT played at LSU in October, Phil Simms and Howard had a heated exchange that nearly came to blows in the days leading up the Super Bowl last week in Dallas. And though the elder Simms hasn't changed his mind about Howard, a former Heisman Trophy winner, he did apologize for his actions on Monday in radio interview on SiriusXM.

"It's over," Simms told Chris "Mad Dog" Russo. "And, you know, and I'm sorry. I really, I mean this, I'm sorry it happened. I really am because even if it remained private, there's still nothing gained.

"So I've learned another lesson."

Perhaps another was the way social media can allow any event to spread nationally in a matter of minutes, which Howard helped the confrontation do by using his Twitter account to pass along his account shortly after it happened.

And aside from the analysis of his son, that appears to have bothered the former Super Bowl MVP quarterback with the New York Giants just as much.

"Well, of course I am (annoyed), but it is what it is," Simms said. "It's a great lesson learned and of course I'm not excusing myself. You know, I've got to know better. It's a new day and age. I talked about it the week before, or whatever, the week after the championship games with Jay Cutler so it's kind of the same situation.

"And, you know, you've got to know that I think about those things all the time. It's just not good on my part, either. I understand that."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volinlouisiana writes:

Desmond Howard is a jerk for airing their private problems on Twitter. Very mature.

Vol86 writes:

Simms should have kick his butt.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

Look, didn't Howard say something such as Simms was one of the worst QBs in The SEC or something? I do not understand when commentators have to be so critical of another player that they would say something such as this on a public forum like a twitter or facebook or whatever. I seem to remember Bill Walton had a habit of making critical commentaries on players in games. Didn't walton say stuff such as: This Kid is horrible. Simms acted like any Father really. Simms worked hard for UT, but was beaten out by what at this time appears to be a more capable QB in Tyler Bray. That is the plain truth. There is no need to add further derogatory commentary towards Matt Simms or any college athlete. I remember Mike Gundy going off on some little silly reporter for going over the line in Her criticisms. Anyway, just my opinions!

huntined#565710 writes:

Hard to hold back the talk when someone is slamming your kid. But best to just let it go.

Vol86 writes:

in response to Vol86:

Simms should have kick his butt.

Oh and took his throphy and gave it to Manning. Than kick woodson's butt and take his throphy too.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

Proper respect for others seems to be a lost thing in this inflammatory world of Facebook, twitter, the internet or in today's society in general it would seem! Someone will get a good old fashioned knuckle sammich one day for crossing that line. I want to see it when it happens. Not to drift off subject, but I used to hear Keith Olbermann make nasty commentaries about others on his rinky dink old MSNBC show. I used to wonder why no one had given him a knuckle sammich. LOL

maddawg writes:

Desmond Howard has the gall to criticize another person???? He should criticize his own performance as a talking head. Can't speak english etc......

WytheVol writes:

Well.... That's about all you can hope for, is that someone, if not everyone learned a lesson. Good for Phil (for both standing up for his son and learning that there are better ways to handle himself while doing so). Hopefully, Howard has learned a lesson as well, and will keep his comments more professional in the future.

jumby92 writes:

Phil Simms is a crybaby. I am sure he has hacked on someone's son at some point while doing analysis & commentary. If you feed it, sometime you have to eat it too. When you do athletics or performances, the bigger the stage you are on, the thicker your skin has to be and if you can't take the heat, get a day job.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

in response to jumby92:

There is certainly nothing wrong with giving your honest evaluations, but there are certainly more appropriate, professional and classy ways of giving opinions!

Vol86 writes:

I wonder what would happen if Phill had the oppertunity to return the favor to Howard and mock his kid.

WytheVol writes:

in response to jumby92:

There is no such thing as thick skin when it comes to your kids... As a parent you preach to them to keep thick skin, but let someone belittle or attack one of your kids (grown or not) and see if your blood don't boil.

tennrich1 writes:

No hatred here but professionally Howard is possibly the worst on air personality ESPN has...Really, he's just not very good....Having been in broadcasting myself I get nervous when he's up....struggles with his thoughts and stumbles thru the monologue trying to create bantor with the other panelist...let me assure you...nothing and I mean nothing makes a director more nervous than that....But Simms certainly needs to stay clear of those kinds of things....When analyst don't know what to say, criticism always sales...

zipper10 writes:

These commentators criticize players all the time. Phil Simms has been very critical of others as well and I am sure he has angered the player and the parent's of the player as well. Should these commentators be allowed to offer more than criticism being downright rude and opinionated? No. Perhaps Phil will learn a lesson about respecting others and act better himself. You know
Matt wasn't good. Move on. In fact, I thought he transferred to a Jr. College.

VOLliven2it writes:

Speaks more to who Desmond Howard is not than to who Phil Simms is. It should have remained between them but Mr. Heisman pose allowed his Twitter account to make himself look like a jerk. Phil is a man, how about Howard? He should apologize for making a mountain out of a molehill. But no, we love our social networks and all the benefits they are in our lives!(NOT)

givehim6 writes:

I think Phil took the hi road by apologizing first if someone said something about my kid not sure I could do the same.

VOLliven2it writes:

While Simms may criticize players from time to time, I cannot recall anytime I was watching as he worked and he did anything on the level of disrespect shown by Dezzy boy Howard. I am no advocate for the way Phil handled this but as a parent who heard a few negatives about my son when he played in pee wees, I understand his being upset.

Vol86 writes:

in response to Paone7:

Did you mean Chris?

TommyJack writes:

Desmond Howard should get on his knees every nite and thank his agent. Has zero bidness being on national tv. Local either.

Bogus writes:

I remember when Desmond Howard criticized Dooley for his handling of the Bryce Brown situation. Knew then and there that Desmond was a tool.

41_14gbo writes:

in response to Bogus:

Tool. Good use of a great word.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to DutchOrangeVolsOrange:

You're right about drifting off subject. It puts you in the same category as those needing the knuckle sammich.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to MrPearl_STILLHERE:

And you are still trolling calling people morons. Please get a life. It's pathetic.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

in response to kcbigorngX:

What? You wanna take a poke at ole Dutch? LOLOL

Or are you just an Olberman fan? Are you a big Olberman fan?? That might explain quite allot as to why you made that somewhat strange comment to me. LOL

give_him_6 writes:

Both were wrong this time. But you have to appreciate a father taking up for his son.

RockyTopVolFan writes:

I am on Matt & Phil Simms side regarding the comments from Desmond Howard, they were uncalled for.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to DutchOrangeVolsOrange:

What? You wanna take a poke at ole Dutch? LOLOL

I'd rather buy you a cold one than take a swing, ole Dutch.

I do confess to being a political junkie. That's why I respect someone like Olberman, as opposed to those who will say anything just to further line their pockets.(O'Reilly, Hannity, Pelosi)

It irks me that the 'pubs run the show at kns. Anything goes when it comes to liberal bashing, but say something anti-conservative and you will get your comment removed in a heartbeat.

I'll still always be an Orange brother to you.

NYvolFan writes:

in response to DutchOrangeVolsOrange:

I would love to be in close enough proximity to punch out that loser. Does he have a "tour" section on his website? LOL. He won't be coming here. He's an idiot coward.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

in response to wallandhiker:

I didn't like the way that Chris Sims thing went down back then. Nothing against Phil Simms or His Sons, I never thought Chris was a great QB when He was at Texas. Maybe I am wrong, but Chris seemed to not perform well against Oklahoma. I seem to remember that Texas fans wanted Applewhite as their QB. Still, I think Desmond Howard could have said that with much more broadcasting professionalism than the way He said this!

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

in response to kcbigorngX:

I'd rather buy you a cold one than take a swing, ole Dutch.

I'll still always be an Orange brother to you.

Ok Man no problem. I have much worse arguments with members of my own family about politics.LOL I like to think of myself as a fiscal conservative Libertarian with a strong advocacy that the Federal Government stay out of our state rights. No problem Man.Rock on Orange all the way!

murrayvol writes:

in response to Vol86:

Charles Woodsen is a great player. He earned and deserves every award he has EXCEPT the Heisman. That one should be on display in Bristol, CN.

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

If Howard can make it, anybody can.

cltvol writes:

Well p simms has always been a gamer and so is matt simms. I tip my hat to him as he broke in a young o line and took a lot of hits. He's a gutty kid and to be admired for his toughness & tenacity. I wouldn't want to fight Phil Simms either.

Pompey writes:

in response to jumby92:

...big difference in wacking an amateur and a professional player.....

Pompey writes:

in response to give_him_6:

...both were not wrong....

crutch1966 writes:

in response to Vol86:

nice spelling.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

in response to Vol86:

Simms should have kick his butt.

Sims would of got his Butt kicked and i dont care who matt sims dad is he's still the worse QB Tennessee has had in years and if phil sims dont like that fact he should of done a better job teaching him.Afterall if he was worth his weight he wouldnt be transfering to school after school trying to find a starting job.All we can hope for now is that he transfers from UT cause we got 3 QB's that will throw circles arround matt sims.Bray,Nance an Woorley so hit the road matt you aint worth a plug nickle.Thank you Howard for bringing this to the public eye

ncvol17 writes:

in response to WytheVol:

Please stop posting on this site.You are much to articulate and insightful to post here. Where is your 'kick his butt' or 'I'll meet him anytime' type of comment. You sir, must not have a double digit IQ, so please take your Mensa mentality elsewhere.

sjackson#227599 writes:

Shouldn't have mouthed off to Howard. However, if he had a chance to do the same to CDD or CJC, I could understand that. Even though Bray is a better QB, Sims was simply put through a meat grinder (ORE, FLA, LSU, GA, BAMA and SC) and then essentially discarded by CDD and CJC in favor of Bray. I understand why they did it but if had been done to my son I would want to kick their tails espeially since there was no coincidence in the timing of the change from Sims to Bray.

dvhill100 writes:

Well, I see there is still a lot of love on this board. While any father worthy of his name will always stand up for his son, doing so in a public place is not exactly optimum. I think Howard is s self serving, self promoting individual and is a marginal sportscaster. Simms was wrong to confront him like he did, but he apoligized. All Howard could do was run his "Tweet".

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

Does this mean that there won't be anymore criticisms of the other sons that play sports at UT on this message board? Or is it only Desmond Howard who shouldn't criticize

rkastens writes:

Should Howard have put this out there on Twitter? No - very little class. Should Phil have been in Howard's face about comments he made about Matt? No - very little class. As a color commentator, Phil is in a job where he is expected to say what he feels about players and their performance. Should he expect less from other announcers/broadcasters? I thnk both of them need to grow up.

esarmstrong#231516 writes:

in response to DutchOrangeVolsOrange:

Best you not mix politics with sports on this forum. Besides, it takes this into the realm of being off topic. There are a number of UT fans who may not appreciate that.

Vol_In_The_Ville writes:

Both are ridiculous. Simms - for trying to defend his son who is an adult. Howard - for tweeting ( or tattle tailing ) about the issue. Seems like Matt who is the youngest of the three is the most mature.

CDAWG writes:

I agree with you guys pretty classless of Howard. Did you see where Coach Richt gave the family of the drowned teen from Valdosta a Jersey and told them their son had made the team. As much as I want to win Richt taught us all something.

volfaninohio writes:

Desmond shouldn't have posted the comment on twitter. But now I guess Phil knows how it feels when he's broadcasting and a father has to hear him say things like that guy can't block at high school level let alone in the NFL. Phil has been critical of others in the past and now he knows his family isn't exempt.

whiskeyman writes:

After all is said and done and the smoke has cleared. The resounding truth is that Howard was right. Sims was one of the worst QB's in the SEC. And most likely still is. He's probably a good kid, don't know and really don't care. I do care about the play of our QB, and quite frankly I don't want it to be him!

TNVol72 writes:

in response to Vol86:

What's a "throphy?"

jdogg44 writes:

No one is wishing more success on Tyler Bray than me... It does need to be noted that while Simms got his "tryout" against Oregon, Florida, Bama, LSU and Georgia.... Bray got his tryout against Vandy, Memphis, Kentucky and Ole Miss.... just sayin'

and I hope Bray is SO good we can't even get a QB recruit to visit our campus after next year's play...

UsoCRAZY writes:

When you involve your child in sports you have to expect some idiot to say something stupid about them eventually. And when it happens be prepaired to handle it like an adult. If you can't handle yourself with class or tend to wear your ego on your sleeve, don't put your kids in sports. Problem solved.