Derek Dooley suspends Brent Brewer

What looked to be a position of strength for the University of Tennessee football team heading into the spring is suddenly facing some uncertainty.

One starting safety withdrew from school earlier in the week, and following an arrest this weekend, the other is currently suspended pending an investigation following the domestic assault charges filed against Brent Brewer.

The sophomore was released on $1,500 bond on Sunday according to the 24-hour arrest list for the Knox County Sheriff, leaving the Vols short both of the expected starters at the back of the secondary with Janzen Jackson leaving school to deal with personal issues earlier in the week. Details of the incident with Brewer remain unclear at this point, but UT coach Derek Dooley issued a statement Sunday afternoon announcing the suspension for Brewer until the case is resolved.

"Without knowing all the facts, any domestic incident warrants a suspension from all team-related activities until a thorough investigation is concluded," Dooley said. "We respect everyone's right to the legal process, but also acknowledge a greater standard of conduct associated with the privilege of being a member of the Tennessee football team."

Brewer became a valuable contributor to the Vols midway through his freshman season, entering the lineup and playing next to Jackson to form a solid tandem at the back of the defense.

He was a late addition to Dooley's first signing class after he wrapped up his career as a professional baseball player, but after four years away from the game, Brewer shook off the rust, played in every game for the Vols and was credited with 30 tackles, three passes defended and a fumble recovery.

More information as it becomes available can be found at http://www.govolsxtra.com or by following @Vols_Beat on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Voluvr writes:

Probably the first coach that ever told him no.

uttcut writes:

well this sucks

lomas98 writes:

Now is the time of the year where we cross our fingers the players we have returning stay out of trouble. Way early in the year to have the first incident already. Maybe there is a reason Hamilton hired a former lawyer?

gatorhater1963 writes:

I hate to see any of these kids get into trouble.....it's bad for them and the over all program. I will never understand why they put themselves into situations that hurt them and the over all team.

VOLsince68 writes:

One thing is for sure, Dooley is not going to stand for the stupid sh**.

I really hope this is not true or that it's just a misunderstanding.

GO VOLS!!!!!!

Halls3 writes:

I just gotta ask what is going on at UT. This is what 6 arrests under Dooley already. I mean what the heck. He preached discipline but is having an arrest every couple of months.

TennVol01 writes:

I trust Dooley to do the right thing. I back him all the way.

BleedsOrangeinMO writes:

And this from one of the most MATURE players we have. I'm not sure of his age but since he played minor league baseball for two or three years right out of high school and this past year he was a freshman at UT he's got to be almost as old as some of the seniors. Oh well tomorrow will bring another page in the continuing saga; As my stomach turns sponsored by the UT athletic department. I will always support the VOLS, men and women but man my stomach is in knots!!!!!

commonman writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Or reinstsated the day before spring practice (Via Derek Dooley discipline)

Gart5 writes:

Greeeaatt. Now I have to hear it from all the Big Ten fans up here. Knowing ESPN, this will probably be a breaking news report.

Orangeblood13 writes:

What was a strength position now is looking bleak

GirlStuckInDawgCountry writes:

Derek Dooley discipline???? And what would you say that is since every situation that has happened was handled not only by him but by our legal system as well. If charges are unfounded what is Dooley supposed to do ruin their careers??? I think not, commonman.

commonman writes:

in response to GirlStuckInDawgCountry:

What exactly is Derek Dooley discipline

commonman writes:

in response to commonman:

What exactly is Derek Dooley discipline

Or better yet, who has he disciplined?

GirlStuckInDawgCountry writes:

Again the punishment will come if it is warranted. Each of the allegations against UT players have ended in just that. If a court of law cannot find any reason to punish these men then why should Dooley do it? He is not above the law, and neither are these men (unfortunately a lot of programs in this country do not punish accordingly, even when legally they are found guilty). If Brewer did in deed assault a young lady then he should be punished accordingly. The problem is not the coach it is the men in all the programs.

I get sick to death of people saying it is a coaches fault. As much as I detest Florida, even Urban could not watch these men 24/7. At some point they will have to take responsibility.

Sorry for the tangent, the point is Dooley should not have the power to ruin a man's life if a court of law cannot prove anything against them. That goes for all coaches.

commonman writes:

in response to GirlStuckInDawgCountry:

He had two that plead guilty to crimes ( Da'rick was one, I can't think of the other ones name but involed another bae fight) and they received no punishment

GirlStuckInDawgCountry writes:

Actually all charges were dismissed on these two players. So basically it still amounts to these being allegations. Do I think they were involved, sure I do, but the legal systems investigation was unfounded. Therefore, you cannot expect Dooley to take action on players if the court is not willing to do the same thing.

Again I don't agree with it because at some point these men have got to stop living in the land of the automatic priviledge, but until a court of law is going to step in and do something about it the coaches should not have to either.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to PrideOfTheSouthlandBanned:

i would agree with this post--------its quite juvenile that he would think it clever and amusing

TommyJack writes:

HOLD your water, boys. BB may be innocent. Ever think of that?

GirlStuckInDawgCountry writes:

Okay, commonman, I looked up the article where the charges were dismissed against Rogers. One player was dismissed immediately from the team for his participation (he was already in hot water from an earlier incident). Rogers did perform community service for disorderly conduct. Not beating an off-duty police officer. Here is the link:

Again I do not necessarily agree, but if the courts are not going to charge them with something else, then Dooley's hands are tied.

commonman writes:

in response to GirlStuckInDawgCountry:

Da'rick plead guilty to disorderly conduct and J. Smith pead guilty to simple assult

crimsonviper writes:

in response to TommyJack:

HOLD your water, boys. BB may be innocent. Ever think of that?

WHAT!...Are you asking people to be rational?
On this site?..Good luck with that,bud.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Cody_Pope_wears_a_dress:

One of the tweetmasters (mediameisters) said sometime back that Pope wanted to play but the medical staff wouldn't let him. FWIW

The fan that criticized his son in public deserved whatever that dad could dish out, IMHO.

GirlStuckInDawgCountry writes:

in response to commonman:

I'm sorry I cannot find anywhere that Smith was even arrested or had charges dropped. Could you please provide a link to this.

As I previously stated disorderly conduct and beating a man while down are two totally different things. Disorderly conduct could be a multitude of things (we do know what it was), but that is a far cry from beating someone while they are down.

I just wish these men would get their act together and quit behaving as thought they are above the law. However, until the courts quit treating them this way themselves why would they behave any different.

commonman writes:

in response to GirlStuckInDawgCountry:

Just go to the top of the page and type in Jacques Smith arrest

PANCHO writes:

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Cody_Pope_wears_a_dress:

I remember reading Dooley saying generic stuff like having the longest stinger in history but don't remember anything where Dooley quoted Cody. But I didn't attend any of the post practice conferences. But it is strange that Cody would go all the way through spring and summer practice, make first string, and then three games into his third year to decided that it was too hard and too mean a sport.

GirlStuckInDawgCountry writes:

in response to commonman:

Just go to the top of the page and type in Jacques Smith arrest

Ah I see. I stand corrected as far an the other incident is (Smith), but i thought you were referring to the summer bar brawl, where charges were dismissed and disorderly conduct was its replacement.

In this case I do think he should have been barred from any team activities for the remainder of the season. Kicked off the team? I think perhaps, but the problem does not end there. He becomes someone elses problem. . . at whatever school he goes too.

Hope he learned his lesson because he indeed was handed a gift for something that should have been more serious.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

WHAT!...Are you asking people to be rational?
On this site?..Good luck with that,bud.

agree with you

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to TommyJack:

HOLD your water, boys. BB may be innocent. Ever think of that?

Good point. The problem with the DV law in Tennessee is that if the police are called, someone is going to jail. For instance, say BB and his girl lived in apartments and got into an arguement. The neighbors call the law on them and they come. One of them are going to jail. That's just how it is here. So until they prove that he actually assaulted her I'm gonna hold judgement.

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

HOLD your water, boys. BB may be innocent. Ever think of that?

Round these parts you're guilty until proven innocent.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

The only way one would go to jail is if they admitted striking the other. Otherwise, one of them would have only been asked to leave for the night.

SEC1 writes:

in response to AF1A4:

you were never at 8-9 wins with jackson and brewer.... 6-7 at the best with a lot of luck!

can't beat florida
can't beat ga
can't beat lsu
never beat bama as long as saban is at the helm ...never.. write it down!
can't beat cocky will be loaded with gracia,stud rb, wr
won't beat razorbacks.. that's six guaranteed L'S.... Slip up vs cinny and ya'll hillbillies can kiss the music city or auto-zone bowl good-bye!

PeeEllthree writes:

in response to kcbigorngX:

Wrong.

OrangePride writes:

Arrests and charges do not always equal truth and convictions. We will wait and see what evidence and testimony comes out at the hearing. Here is something we all know.......there are going to be two sides of this argument and neither will be 100% in the right. You have to be encouraged by the way Dooley is handling this........suspended until the matter is cleared up. My hope is that this was just a verbal altercation and can be dismissed or handled at a very low level. I think there's a good chance he'll be on the field for the O/W game (at least I hope so).

cwmoss writes:

as I said before, you have to teach these KIDS how to read and write so they can learn something..Just listen to them talk...They have no high school education . passed on playing football..But these kids are the material that goes to U T

SEC1 writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

6 arrests and six wins..... wow.. one more arrest and the vols will have more arrests than wins

orangeman1 writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

Dooley hasnt been as strong of a disciplinarian as people made him out to be up to now imo. I say that based on players getting into trouble and not losing playing time. I do think he is on par with most coaches at major programs though and incidents are unavoidable. I have said in the past that the whole "changing the culture" and "strong disciplinarian" talk was just that, talk. All coaches say stuff like that,(even Kiffin) but as some have said, they cant keep things like this from happening. Hopefully Brewer will get things worked out and be back on the team if he's proven innocent. If not, and he has to take some anger classes and then gets it dismissed or is found guilty, he probably should lose some playing time. Of course I have no idea how minor or severe whatever he supposedly did was so I would say Dooley is definately doing the right things by suspending him until the facts come to light.

Halls3 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Thank you for proving my point. My point is that UT has no more discipline than any other school, whether or not you believe they do. Also, bash Meyer all you want he had 30 arrests in 6 years not good. But in barely over 1 Dooley has what 5 (Myles 2X, Rogers, Smith, & Brewer & I may still be missing one). Yet Dooley is a disciplinarian with young men who make mistakes & Meyer had thugs. All I'm saying is that for a discplinarian, this team lacks discipline on & off the field. Blow assignments, Mouthing of after games to the media, & arrests a plenty aren't good for a 1st year coach. As for the trailer comment, that shows your intelligence, which I suspect is quite little. Last time I checked, I live in a $250,000 home in Halls, not a trailer. As for being a Gator fan you are correct I do follow Florida but I also follow UT & am a UT grad, which I'm sure is more than can be said for yourself.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

Wrong.

I've been through this.

Unless there is physical evidence, a witness, or admission if guilt, there is nothing that binds the officer to attach.

Wrong?

Halls3 writes:

in response to FormerMarine:

I never said anything was marginalized or hidden. All I said was that there are a lot of arrests going on at UT lately, whether it be B-Ball or Football. Also, for someone who is a discplinarian who has he kicked off the team. Darren Myles is it & at that point after 2 arrests in a matter of months, the boy had to go. Dooley can take a strong stand towards discipline by kicking someone of the first time. I know, how dare I say that but what he is doing isn't working. But again I understand the lack of depth being part of it but so what. Who really expects UT to compete for championships in the next 2 to 3 years? I'm realistic & don't see this any time soon, so why not set a strong-armed policy now so when you get a full depth chart players will know they better not act a fool or they will be gone.

Pompey writes:

in response to Halls3:

...hey troll, if you were in charge of baby setting these half raised, grade school maturity, pampered street children what is the sage direction you would give them. A hell of a lot of smarter people than you are are still trying to solve this societal problem when their real job should be coaching....if you have the answer you might want to enlighten Dooley with it....

Halls3 writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

Correct arrests happen if you want to win. You have to bring in questionable players with big stars to win. I understand that. But don't preach to me about discipline & do nothing when players act up. I understand it's the offseason & nothing will happen to him, that's fine. However, when Jacques Smith plead guilty to assault, shouldn't he have at least been suspended for the Memphis game that week? What would it have hurt?

DooleysOrangePants writes:

in response to GirlStuckInDawgCountry:

you do know your arguing with an idiot, dont you?

SEC1 writes:

Can't hire a SABAN WANNA BE and expect to get SABAN RESULTS.... last time a bama player arrested? besides aaron douglas in "knox co" which aaron probably had that coming with just signing with bama and all,

USNVOL writes:

in response to Halls3:

Cute

Halls3 writes:

in response to Pompey:

I wouldn't last long as a coach b/c I wouldn't put up with this. I would lose talent, lose games, & be canned b/c no one wants to lose & if you have to have idiots to win coaches will do whatever it takes. All I'm saying is look at the basketball team. It had great discipline when Pearl came in & won a lot of games. As discipline has been lost, UT is losing games & people are getting upset at both the lack of discipline & success on the floor. A rebuilding football program doesn't need a discipline problem. If you are winning games & having arrests at the same rate, people will get upset. That was part of the problem people had with Fulmer. He quit winning & had players arrested. It will happen to Dooley. You all will turn on him if he continues to have 6 to 8 win seasons & 4 to 6 arrests a year. I know now it's ok b/c he's new, but Bruce was new & has already worn out his welcome with some, though he has brought UT more success than they have ever had. So basically IMO he needs to take a hard line now while he can get away with it & kick some of these idiots to the curb so that when he gets a full depth chart the players will know, hey if I screw up he will kick me off b/c he did it with a lacking depth chart.

Bigger_Al writes:

Saban would just handle this internally.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to Halls3:

You're wasting good air.

#55 will be up on the ring next to Reggie White one day.

DooleyWagon22 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

HOLD your water, boys. BB may be innocent. Ever think of that?

Amen man! Janzen Jackson got arrested last year and he was innocent! I just hope that he comes back!