Lady Vols, Vandy officer have 'a little conflict' after game

'A little conflict' after game

Tennessee survived a hard-fought women's basketball game at Vanderbilt and an apparent misunderstanding on the Commodores' court afterward.

The Lady Vols gathered at center court, as they do after every game - home or away - for a post-game prayer. The Lady Vols were asked by a Vanderbilt police officer to leave the floor, according to Debby Jennings, UT's associate athletics director for media relations. The officer mistakenly thought the Lady Vols' gathering was disrespecting the team logo, Jennings said.

"There was a little situation after the game ended and I just want to clarify,'' UT coach Pat Summitt said. "Our team always goes to the middle of the court and they have a prayer. So, in case anyone questions what happened out there, we had a little conflict going on."

- Dan Fleser

SoddyVol writes:

LOL Even the Vandy Police are rowdy. It seems all of the Vandy community can't stand sight of Vols. They jump to conclusions and err in thinking Lady Vols are like themselves.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

Allah?? Buddha?? Confuscious? The almighty dollare??

Just wonderin'....guess the kids who aren't really religious have to fake it, huh.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to dead_vol_foul:

Allah?? Buddha?? Confuscious? The almighty dollare??

I'm willing to bet a few (I'm not a saint) that not one of them is atheist. Just let them be thankful no one got hurt badly. It probably doesn't have anything to do with any certain religion---just each ones belief in a higher being. Don't see how that could hurt the atheist much unless atheist are just working for the devil.

TommyJack writes:

in response to dead_vol_foul:

Allah?? Buddha?? Confuscious? The almighty dollare??

Ah, to be so enlightened.

CoachFulmerFan writes:

I was at a UT Lady Vol game last year and actually saw a really really arrogant and nasty UT COP person pull a man from his car for simply turning onto Philip Fulmer Way. Apparently, they had made it a one way for the people exiting the arena parking and the guy didn't realize it. The cop yelled for him to stop, the car stopped and the cop ran over and yanked the door open and pulled the guy out. I had my little nephew with me and he heard the cop yelling obscenities at the driver as he yanked him out. The cop just seemed unprofessional, and I really hope the driver complained. We don't need violent cops like that on the force...

ladivolfan writes:

in response to dead_vol_foul:

Allah?? Buddha?? Confuscious? The almighty dollare??

Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

houvol#438636 writes:

in response to dead_vol_foul:

Allah?? Buddha?? Confuscious? The almighty dollare??

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Just glad Barney Fife didn't draw down on those heinous felons.

Prayer at Vandy is punishable by 4 days in the electric chair.

Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4 writes:

Let's face it-The Big Orange is hated and despised over at Peabody! Hopefully when Pearl & Co. go over there we will see the same result: a huge Big Orange Victory!

How 'bout them Vols?

CrankE writes:

No team in the conference, arguably in the country gets more homecourt "help" than Vanderbilt in Memorial Gym. I guess this applies to the post-game popo too.

WhitesCreek writes:

I can certainly see how having the opposing team take over your logo at center court could be construed as disrespectful. If it truly is a prayer to God, it should be done in private as we are told in Matthew. If not disrespectful, it is certainly hypocritical.

easleychuck writes:

in response to WhitesCreek:

al2476 writes:

in response to WhitesCreek:

This is another dumb*** comment. Why don't you go to the Vandy website and vent your frustrations. We are too busy celebrating a victory over the commode dores.

al2476 writes:

Back many years ago Vandy went to the logo in the center of the field at Neyland Stadium and stomped and spit on the logo. This is a much different situation than that as they were kneeling to pray. Big difference. I wanted to clear that up before some dummy from Vandy brings it up.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to WhitesCreek:

If you haven't noticed, usually the players from BOTH teams get in one circle on the floor with each other for just a short prayer. Maybe Vandy was just too upset to join in.

ps11824 writes:

Happy Valentine's Day to you all. This day is all about love. Do you have any for anyone, everyone. Usually, the Lady Vols will invite the opposing team to join them. I'm guessing the commodores said "no thanks."

Too bad they chose to be sore losers instead of good sports. I guess they should have stepped on our throats while they had us down instead of shoving and crawling all over our backs with dirty fouls and whining about it.

dead—vol, you really give me pause for concern when you galumph from seemingly mature, intelligent into whatever louse it takes to make such an unnecessary, spiteful comment as your first on this thread.

VOLinATL writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

If an atheist does not believe in God, he/she certainly will not believe in the Devil.

1volk-nowi-tall writes:

So we are to only pray in private. I guess my pastor is wrong to pray in church with all of us sinners setting in plain view of him. I did notice the security guard standing at center court and the Lady Vols looking at him as if to be certain that they could continue their post game(win or lose) ritual. If you have watched LV games you are aware of this tradition and if you have ever heard Lady Vols being interview (for many, many years) you have been made aware of their faith. Now I don't believe that my God really cared who won this basketball game or any other basketball game but I would profer that He was pleased to see heads bowed in perhaps thinking of Him. I wish that people could get to know young women who compete in sports and they would see the difference in their attitudes and the attitudes of the young men. These young women from Standford to UCLA to UConn to Duke to you name it are mostly young women of faith. Just listen to any of them and you quickly see their intelligence and learn of their true values.

PeeEllthree writes:

Where is KNS with a dramatic headline? Let me help. "Lady Vols Stomp on V logo"-"Lady Vols fight with Police"-"Possible Team violation for extra meetings in regards to midcourt gathering"-"Kiffin"-"Summit and Crew riot like Egyptians after the game"

abnermc writes:

Me thinks Vandy should have been praying!

LadyVolsFan71 writes:

I was at the game last night. I did notice that the Vandy players went straight to the locker room after the handshakes. If the officer said something, it must have been really quick and short. I was looking at the Lady Vols and they did not seem to be upset when they left the floor. Unless you were on the court, you did not know anything was going on.

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

in response to PeeEllthree:

YOU ARE A BIG HORSES @@@. YOU ARE JUST A SORE LOOSEER. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND GET ON VANDY'S BOARD. DISRESPECT FOR YOUR OWN TEAM (VANDY) WHAT KIND OF A PERSON WOULD MAKE SUCH REMARKS?

hallsguy writes:

in response to CoachFulmerFan:

Not out of the realm of possibility.Something similar happened to a friend of mine at Vanderbilt Hospital and there were plenty of witnesses.He's on the far side of 50 and grey haired so it was not like he was a kid misbehaving. Campus cops do get out of control.

ole3putt writes:

I even hesitate to comment on this because the lv fans that are so passionate that they can't see the forest for the trees will not understand. But anyway, I have noticed the lv's doing this after every game, home and away. At most of the away games, some if not all of the home team will join them. Of course, where they make the circle at home is not a problem, but on the road it could be with all the disrespectful behavior that is happening in sport today. I would suggest two things to the powers that be at TN. First of all, let the home team know that they are going to have a prayer circle after the game, win or lose, and secondly, make it clear that any of their team members are welcome to join in if they are so inclined. This might be an easy solution to the problem. Just a brief thought.

77VolFS writes:

in response to WhitesCreek:

Since you're referencing this passage in the Bible, I'm sure you're familiar enough with the story that those Jesus was speaking of did their prayer for show, to receive the praise of men. Now, do you know these girls' hearts? Are there consequences for you judging others that you don't know? Just saying...

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Ah, to be so enlightened.

You'll live.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to al2476:

certainly a measured, healthy response on your part.

Whites gave a reasonable view...you gave a defensive, unsteady attack typical of one who is unsure of their basis in life.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to houvol#438636:

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

sorry,
but no place in my list of 'superiors' do I find you...
stick to telling yourself what to do.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to ladivolfan:

Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

thank you, christian ladi.

well-taught.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

Enjoy this tremendously.

If the LV's were, say, bowing to Mecca, more than a few of you would be screaming. If, say, they were Druids, or maybe devil worsipers, you would turn your backs entirety.

Yet, you see no problem in wishing me ill because it bothers me that my State-funded university is promoting public displays of religion???

Pretty much seems for most of you that as long as it's not "your ox", then it's great.

The best part, though, is simply to see the reactions of the 'good' christians (all christians are good, you know).

I value a lot of what Jesus taught about treating his fellow man. Much of it gives us a a basis for 'humane' treatment. Seems to me, though, that most folk choose to ignore those portions of Jesus' teachings...too inconvenient, as it goes.

`You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'

From reading the acerbic comments, I would certainly not like to be quite a few of you.

rnik1972 writes:

in response to CoachFulmerFan:

You need to report this the UTPD, even though it's been a while. They need to know.

SECProudUT writes:

in response to dead_vol_foul:

Enjoy this tremendously.

`You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'

Now, since your first statement showed your understanding of a Volunteer tradition to be worthless. You continue to pound that square peg into the round hole to make it fit. Hammer away, maybe if you twist it and turn it enough, just maybe you will convince yourself that you actually deserve the respect of your neighbor. Just saying!

ps11824 writes:

Basketball, folks. Will the posters who said Lady Vols can play lousy and still score more points than Vandy, please make your appearance on this thread and post, "I TOLD YOU SO."

I was so mad at you last evening about halftime. I wanted to hunt you down and say, "YOU KNOW NOTHING, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!" By game's end, I was thanking you, but don't make a habit of posting that, OK? : )

drum45 writes:

just another reason to add to a long list to HATE VANDY!!

thebadsamaritan writes:

in response to dead_vol_foul:

Enjoy this tremendously.

`You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'

To view this as "...my state-funded university is promoting public displays of religion" is a bit of a stretch. If the UT Athletics Department required them to pray at center court after games - then you might have a point.

As it is - this seems to be a group of students exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights of freedom of assembly, freedom of worship and freedom of speech.

I'm sure if any of your above listed rights were infringed on - you'd be rightfully upset. So would I. So, don't infringe on theirs.

Shall I pray for you tonight when I do my prayer?

voloffaith writes:

My,my,my it has gotten a bit testy here hasn't it? So the young ladies choosing to gather for prayer on their own is being misconstrued as the state university promoting religion? Is that your grounds for frustration dead_fan_vol? One of my favorites is when people pick and choose the statements that Jesus made as the ones they like and disregard the total teaching. For instance,"Love your neighbors as yourself." What about ,"depart from me you lawless ones I never knew you." "I am the Way,the Truth, the Life and no one comes to the Father but by Me."

On topic,I was anyway, these lady vols as a whole have embarrassed with some poor play at times, but as a general rule during Coach Summit's tenure we have had minimal off the court issues. So I ,for one, prefer them to be young ladies of faith versus players empty of worthwhile values.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Agree and Pats values is why players like Smallbone and Bass stays because they believe in team first not me first. They play the mins given to them and dont complain with a smile. I love how Lil Bass is on the sideline encouraging her team and smiling. TEAMWORK. They are getting a first class education and apart of a great organization. There is nothing wrong with transferring not saying that but some kids feel like they belong and does even with limited mins. Pat will call on you when needed . Thats there mind set. Your time will come .

Why are people so hungup on Uconn recruits? This class for them is IMO overrated and doesnt fill there needs. They have #1 shooting foward and a down the list PG. Anyway I smell a loss for them tonight. Ive been wrong before cant figure out how they win with basically 6 players. GLV

volboy81 writes:

TYPICAL Vandy cop! He wouldnt know anything about prayer, Im sure...not at that heathen school!!

ersdjssls writes:

in response to WhitesCreek:

This is rediculous, how could standing on a court logo be disprectful???? Talking about disrespectful, why doesn't Vandy women put their hand over their heart during the National Anthem???

voloffaith writes:

Remember to vote foe Angie at the Lowes Senior class award site. Oh BTW she is also a Solid believer in Christ as well. Can't tell from the sidelines now as she is injured and just sits quietly and doesn't encourage her teammates during the game does she? OOPS!! She is being that strong encourager!!!

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to voloffaith:

"young ladies of faith versus players empty of worthwhile values"

you said all you need to say. you just eliminated any hope whatsover you had of EVER being a christian. Ever.

sec_fan writes:

So here is what we know. The Lady Commodores were mad and did not want to take part in the prayer because they lost. The administration had this office to move them because they hate the Lady Vols. That is a lot of information for an article that did not bother to contact the Vanderbilt administration or the Vandy police about it. Lets try to get some facts before we jump to conclusions.

SomeGuy writes:

in response to WhitesCreek:

Mid-field prayers are done all the time by football teams including UT's team and even by NFL teams. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can tell the difference between disrespecting the home team logo and a post-game prayer.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

Interesting responses.

Around 15% of the world is 'non-religious', with the older countries being less religious and the newer ones more (generalization). America is similar, though not as atheistic (2-9%) as, say, Canada (20-30%).

Most of you don't much care about it, but be aware that of these percent of non-believers, many just 'go along' during religions events so as not to be persecuted or ostracized. Most just tolerate it. It is what it is.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to SomeGuy:

I tend to agree with you....though often these prayers are not over a logo, they just sort of 'happen' as to where they meet up.

In all honesty, was probably the girls being all excited about winning, hadn't settled for the prayer, and someone tool offense.

A more stern view: you lost, the other team is celebrating, deal with it. You might think them lacking class, so win next time and you don't have that issue.

Good point, though.

in response to 1volk-nowi-tall:

Here is the reference the other poster no doubt had in mind. From Matthew 6, verses 5-6, New International Version (These are the words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount):

But when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. When you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you openly.

This is part of His introduction of the Lord's Prayer, which follows two verses later. Hope that helps.

I'm SURELY not saying that Pat or your preacher are hypocrites. I AM saying that spoken prayers in public places are not ONLY for the piety, there is also an element of "look at me" involved. Of course, it is part of your preacher's JOB to identify himself and your congregation as Christians, even in public. Team prayers outside the locker room are a bit more iffy, IMHO. Some might say that team prayers even IN the locker room might be iffy as well.

in response to cdtnladyvols931#663910:

Once again, irony is missed by a poster. TheIronSheik was referring to the propensity, as some see it, of the KNS to write many Vol stories with a negative slant. I haven't seen your screen name on here much before, but TheIronSheik is all Vol, trust me.

CP3isGR8 writes:

If you review the end of the game in Knoxville, the Vandy girls did not participate in the post-game prayer in TBA either.

BigBadVol writes:

I grew up in Nashville. Vandy fans are the worst. Yep, they're worse than gator fans.