ESPN film about Condredge Holloway to debut at Tennessee Theatre

Former UT football player and assistant athletic director of player relations, Condredge Holloway, during a scrimmage at Neyland Stadium on Saturday August 29, 2009.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Nearly 40 years later, the country music star has a documentary of him to go with it.

After knocking out his first film for ESPN a year ago, the network came back for more after it couldn’t shake the image of a young Chesney in a Tennessee jersey with Condredge Holloway’s No. 7 out of its mind. And what it got was “The Color Orange: The Condredge Holloway Story,” an in-depth look at the Vols legend and first black starting quarterback in the SEC, which will debut Wednesday at the Tennessee Theatre before a national broadcast on Sunday (TV: ESPN, 8 p.m.).

Kenny Chesney talks about 'The Color Orange: The Condredge Holloway Story'

Kenny Chesney

Condredge Holloway on the documentary "The Color Orange"

Condredge Holloway

Kenny Chesney started with just a jersey of his hero.

“It’s not every day that you get to make a film about a person that you looked up to,” Chesney said in a teleconference. “I grew up in East Tennessee, and in the ’70s we didn’t have ESPN. We didn’t have a pro allegiance, there was no NFL team in Knoxville, there was no Major League Baseball team in Knoxville. As a kid, what we had was Tennessee football and we wrapped our arms around it. That’s where my heroes were formed, that’s where I learned how to dream, it’s where I learned to love sports like I do.

“I would literally have an orange jersey and have my friends tear it so I could look like him, and it wasn’t a tear-away jersey, but I wanted it to look like it was a tear-away jersey. I had the orange No. 7 out in the backyard, and that’s where all this started.”

The seed that was planted as a kid has grown into a project that not only celebrates Holloway’s groundbreaking career with the Vols, but also looks at all the factors that led the quarterback to Knoxville and the challenges he faced while breaking down a barrier in the SEC.

Backed up by extensive research and numerous interviews, a story that might not be all that well known outside of UT or the conference will be broadcast to the whole country this weekend as part of ESPN’s Year of the Quarterback series. And even for those already familiar with the typically private Holloway, the documentary provides a rare look at one of the true originals under center.

“Well, yes there was (some hesitation to participate), but the fact that Kenny was doing it, I was very comfortable with that,” Holloway said during the teleconference. “I think anybody other than Kenny, I would not have done this because I’m just a private person.

“I do understand that when you’re playing a team game that it’s not just you.”

Holloway makes that point himself during the film, as he’s been known to do, shifting some of the attention to UT’s first black player, Lester McClain, and passing around the praise to everybody involved in the program.

But as he was on the field back then, Holloway clearly is the star of the show. And Chesney relies on both the memories of his boyhood idol and his current friendship with the UT assistant athletic director to capture more than just Holloway’s impact at Neyland Stadium.

“I just wanted for this story to obviously be as good as we could make it,” Chesney said. “I felt like Condredge had such an impact on me, and I felt like also he opened doors for a lot of people to play the way he played. More people play now the way Condredge did in ’72, ’73, ’74 — nobody played like Condredge did then.

“What I think is ironic about is, if you take the athlete that Condredge was and put it with the athlete playing today, Condredge could still play today. That’s what I hope people see when they watch this film and see the moves that he made and how much athletic ability he had. They’re going to see the influence of some people that are playing today that’s pretty amazing.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volnsc writes:

Kenny and Condredge, two class acts. Looking forward to watching the show.

ODA751 writes:

I look forward to viewing this film. Go Holloway, Go Volunteers!

TKO writes:

Looking forward to it.

tmartin writes:

Kenny is not a vol fan, he is only concerned with making a few bucks off of Condredge and UT. He is a sell out and Gator supporter.

JSamson7 writes:

in response to tmartin:

This is so true... Without going into too much detail on the things I know & have heard from multiple sources, he has completely sold out due to his fame in more ways than one. One story would involve the charity golf event he skipped out on last year that multiple people paid good money to attend & meet him. Having said that, I'm sure I'll take a bunch of heat b/c he is a local guy who made it big. I don't fault him for that, but he is not the class act he portrays himself to be..

JSamson7 writes:

I will say that Condredge is very deserving of this honor, whether or not KC is helping market this event really shouldn't matter at this point. This is Condredge's day & I apologize if my comments about KC takes away from Condredge's contributions to UT...

rudydog1#205592 writes:

It still brings a smile to my face to know that UT was in some ways ahead of the curve concerning African-American students at SEC schools. We also elected Jimmie Baxter as our SGA president, which I might add caused a little consternation for the Board of Trustees..

rockytopatl writes:

Great story and all Vol fans should be looking forward to the production. Meanwhile, the Chesney haters come out immediately. Why don't you also throw in how much ESPN hates Tennessee?

Chesney hates Tennessee, ESPN hates Tennessee, but both make a glowingly positive movie about one of UT's most iconic football heroes. Explain that, haters.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

I don't know anything about the Kenny Chesney thing, all I can say is Condredge, thank you for that 1974 29-28 game with Clemson. That 2 point conversion to Seivers is probably the most spectacular play I have ever seen in all the years of football, and that was the final play of the game !

Reflections writes:

I had the privilege of going to school with Condredge in 9th grade and at Lee High School in Huntsville and then at UT. He remains the best pure athlete I ever saw. Many people here, including some of his coaches, thought football was his third best sport. His baseball exploits are pretty well known. I hope they show some basketball footage so everybody can see how good he really was.

JSamson7 writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Dude, if you only knew how much of a phony KC is, you would think twice.. Regardless, I am happy for Condredge & everything he's done. In KC's case, I don;t hate him. More like strongly dislike him & know who he really stands for... himself

Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4 writes:

in response to Reflections:

You are 100% right about Condredge. Condredge was the QB the first U.T. game I attended. Back in '72 when Neyland unveiled lighting I was there. And Yes, Virginia, we beat Joe Pa. That night the defense was the star. Of course, Condredge and the offense had their moments also. I am very much looking forward to watching the 4 letter network's production this Sunday. Condredge has always been a class act. Does anyone remember what Condredge has said about his recruitment? Back in the 90's U.T. produced a video (Yes, Virginia they had videos back in the 90's. Not CD's, Dvd's or Blue Ray. But videos). On that video Condredge confesses that his mother insisted he come to U.T. and get his degree. He, Condredge, wanted to go play pro baseball with the Montreal Expos. And, yes Virginia, there was a franchise in Canada called the Montreal Expos. Of course, now they have re-located to D.C. and are the Nationals. Anyway Condredge wanted to play for Montreal. Does anyone remember how much they offered Condredge to come play with them? $100,000! Thats right he was such a terrific athlete the Expos offered him $100,000 to come play baseball. His mother said, "No." You are going to U.T. and play football and earn a degree. Both Condredge and his Mother are 100% Class Acts in my book! And, yes Virgina, Condredge was a successful Canadian Football League Player plus he has been very successful as an executive in the U.T. Athletics Department. I wish my wife and I could come to Rocky Top tomorrow to see the preview. I will definitly be watching the 4 letter on Sunday night.

How 'bout them Vols? It is time for more Big Orange Koolaide and a Moon Pie made by the Chattanooga Baking Company!!!!!!!

RememberTheVols writes:

How can this be? Everyone knows ESPN hates UT.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

Is it true that Coach Bryant told Holloway to go to another SEC school because in 1971 when UT recruited Holloway, Bama had just gotten their first black starter in a Tide uniform.I guess Coach Bryant did not want to push things with a black QB. I had heard that somewhere.

It was certainly groundbreaking that Holloway becoming the first black starting QB in the SEC. Even though Alabama gets the credit for integrating the SEC with that 1970 Bama- USC Sam Cunningham game, Tennessee had several black players already on roster the day that Bama-USC game was played. In fact Jackie Walker intercepted a pass and ran it back for a TD in that Vol win over Bama in 1969. I heard someone say that USC was the first integrated team to have played Alabama in the state of Alabama in 1970. Tennessee was the first team one year earlier with Walker and wide receiver Lester McClain.

I am glad ESPN is doing a story on this. Holloway was amazing to watch. I saw that amazing run he made against Georgia Tech on youtube just today!

Futurecoach16 writes:

in response to NachoDaddy_76:

Then you know NOTHING about showmanship and performing. If you're performing in a city and the biggest name in that city (Tebow) is at YOUR show, you play to the crowd. How many country artists, and wrestlers, come in to Knoxville and sing "Rocky Top"? I can name a few: Rascal Flatts, John Cena, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban. Do you really think those guys are Tennessee fans? No, but they're playing to the crowd. Get over it.

utblaze#222308 writes:

Can someone tell me why in the world they would schedule this during a home basketball game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jumboliyah writes:

Condredge is a true LEGEND...he is to UT football what Bernard King is to UT BB.

As for Chesney, all I know is his Dad is the largest ego maniac in East TN, I sure KC didn't get much of him because I don't know anything good to be gotten from him.

Southland writes:

glad yall are reaching out to KC. really folks I dont care if he is a fan or not. His being a fan or not being a fan does not lessen my love for the Vols one bit. I am originally from Pulaski which is just north of Huntsville and it always made me proud to watch the Huntsville news report on Condredge at UT I loved it that a bama kid was playing for UT and doing outstanding. I have heard people say that he was the best fielding shortstop they had ever seen in college baseball

Southland writes:

Thinking about Condrege playing makes me miss John Ward so much. The Bob Kesling thing is just not getting any better. My guess is that he is the worst football radio man in the SEC. I have given him over ten years to get better but he just gets worse all the time but listening to John Ward on a fall day was the best

deputy658 writes:

I have often wondered why Condredge has never been offered the AD job at UT , he would be great.

77VolFS writes:

in response to Futurecoach16:

Exactly. Some of these guys don't get out much. And some look for a negative in every positive.

tmartin writes:

in response to Futurecoach16:

Difference is that these other guys dont claim to be big fans of any school. Its one thing to play to the crowd and that makes sense to me. However, KC claims to be an avid UT fan and then goes and sports a gators helmet????? Oh heck no!!!! Thanks for playing, troll.

Futurecoach16 writes:

in response to tmartin:

I've been a UT fan my whole life. I've worn a Tennessee Tech hat before. I've worn ETSU shirts. Does that make me a traitor? Sounds to me that you couldn't handle someone proving you wrong. And Paisley is a West Virginia fan, FYI.

Volfan1 writes:

Get over the KC thing. He is a Tennessean. But he is a national artist. As said, he plays to the crowd. He is not going to antagonize gator, bama, dawg or any other fans in the crowds at their venues. He is an ENTERTAINER, not a representative of UT.
His putting on a gator helmet is no different than Lee Greenwood singing "from the hills of TENNESSEE" with additional emphasis at halftime in Neyland. I love it. You love it. But he is playing to the crowd....and making $$$ when you go purchase, "God bless the USA".
KC's personal ego may be grossly inflated. I don't know him. But he is promoting something positive about the Vols - the team of his youth (and maybe still today). Don't drive KC away with immature drivel. Get over it all and be glad we are getting something positive on ESPN.
Yes, they can be jerks, with motor mouth Vitale leading the pack. But it is an opportunity to relate to thousands/millions with positive PR about UT....not to mention the positive light shown to many potential black athletes/recruits about playing for the Vols.

And yes, the story has it that Bear wouldn't play Holloway at QB because he didn't believe the State of Alabama was ready for it. So he went with Battle & the Vols.

Also, I believe if Holloway had been elgible as a frosh (NCAA wouldn't allow any frosh to play then) the Vols could have won it all that year. They had EVERYTHING but a good QB. They beat Franco Harris' Penn State team but lost two tough ones to Bama and Auburn. The Artful Dodger could have been the difference!

BigOrangeInEngland writes:

Look guys, Condredge is a true Tennessee great. If it takes Kenny to get involved then this is all good for UT. Condredge admits he would not have got involved if it wasn’t for Kenny.

On the Kenny issue that has been started I have flown over from England to see Kenny play in Jackson, Mississippi, in Beaumont, Texas, at the NY State Fair in Syracuse, NY and Hartford, Connecticut. At each concert he mentioned the local sports teams. This is not because he a traitor. He is an artist with a national following. He is not going to alienate HIS fanbase by solely making reference to his choice of team.

Just wish I could see the programme !!

easleychuck writes:

in response to utblaze#222308:

DVR

richvol writes:

Condredge was the most gifted all around athlete to ever play football at UT. He was a freshman my senior year at UT. They had freshman football games in those days and Condredge was putting on fantastic performances that drew in 30,000 to 35,000 fans against the Alabama and Notre Dame frosh.

The Clemson game winning two point conversion,as mentioned earlier,was an astonishing play that I described some time ago in one of my early posts a years ago. I can still see that play unfold like it was yesterday.

The Bear was sick over losing Condredge...like he was over losing Richmond Flowers. Both were lost over civil rights issues. I was proud to see UT out front on these issues in the SEC.

Ayres_Hall writes:

This is Kenny Chesney's second film about football that will be aired on ESPN. This film and the previous "Boys of Fall" both highlighted University of Tennessee football. Not Florida, not Alabama, nor any other school.

So he jumped on a few bandwagons. Hey, you become a louder and more obnoxious fan when the Vols are winning.

It's obvious to the adults that Kenny loves the Vols and is first and foremost a Volunteer football fan.

Now, go back to your hating.

illinoisvolfan writes:

Condredge Holloway, along with Larry Seivers and Stanley Morgan, are three of my all-time favorite Vols. They were heroes to me as a kid in Paris, TN and remain heroes to me as I go kicking and screaming into middle age in Eldorado, IL. I'm sure when I get to watch "The Color Orange" it will bring back many great memories of when I first discovered there's nothing like Big Orange Football.

PeeEllthree writes:

Why do you guys really care if KC puts on a gator helmet? Seriously. He's a freaking entertainer. You expect him to sport UT gear at a concert? Grow up. WHO CARES.

Tau_of_Tennessee writes:

Condredge is one of my all time favorite Vols and Chesney's target market spills the boundries of Tennessee. Those who do not understand that clearly are not business majors.

beef4davols writes:

It's really simple...the people that can't figure out the Chesney fanhood loyalty thing are just stupid!!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

Can't wait to see this!

oldvolmikelb60 writes:

I was a Teammate of Condredge. I think that one of the most exciting moments in my life was in 1974. We were playing UCLA in the opener. National TV. Condredge is injured and has to leave for Xrays / treatment. We are struggling, but competitive. When it looks really bad for us in the second half, all of a sudden you can hear this roar, this thunderous noise from the crowd. And there is #7 running back into the stadium. I still get chills up my spine. He (CH) is one of the most down to earth people I have ever known. He did not let his celebrity keep him from being a great teammate to anybody that put on a helmet with a T on it. I'm glad that s*#& Kiffen is gone and we have somebody that understands and respects Tennessee tradition again at the helm. GO Big Orange forever.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

Back to this Bear telling Holloway that the state of Alabama was not ready for a black QB. Those of us who are old enough to remember those days will remember that very few schools around the USA would start a black QB. It seemed it took the NFL forever to get past this.

Also back to the segregation thing in the SEC. I really feel the political climate in Tennessee was way more moderate back in the late sixties compared to what was going on in Alabama.. Not that Tennessee was Berkley, California mind you, but the political climate was more moderate. If you listen to Florida Gator fans, their school and their fans are the hippiest, coolest fans anywhere in the universe, but the University of Tennessee was at least 4 or 5 years ahead of them when it came to breaking up the segregation policies! JMO!

Futurecoach16 writes:

Bit off topic, but the word needs to be spread. Anyone on here with a Twitter account, follow Mike Hamilton even if you don't like him because he's donating $1 to the Outlive program for every new follower up until the UGA game Saturday. He's gained almost 2000 new followers.

esarmstrong#231516 writes:

in response to DutchOrangeVolsOrange:

TraitorLane writes:

in response to Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4:

That was also my first game at UT as a freshman. Penn State had Franco Harris and Lydell Mitchell in the backfield and the Vols won a thriller that night. Great memories.

esarmstrong#231516 writes:

in response to jumboliyah:

Not sure about the Bernard King Comparison, but he is definitely one of the best we have ever had at UT. I'd say Peyton is a more apt comparison to King.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

>><<...and the first black player on an SEC campus was at Kentucky, one year before Lester McClain in '68. I believe Lester was the first black player to start in the SEC.
...<<>>

Wasn't Lester McClain on the 1967 Freshman team? Maybe I am wrong here, but I seem to remember McClain being on the Freshman squad in 1967?

That first game Lester MCcLain played in a varsity game was the opening game of 1968 against Georgia. I think McClain made a huge first down catch that kept the Vols hopes alive in that game. Part of that game was up on Youtube for awhile. I am not sure if it still is on youtube.

I saw the game on ABC in 1968 and it was a great game that ended in 17-17 ties as I recall.

brokendownoldvol writes:

I can't wait. He was my hero growing up. Imagine if he ran the spread offense back then. Heisman no doubt.

drum45 writes:

KC is a Punk!

RockyTop1998 writes:

Kenny Chesney loves UT Football like he loves women. Not at all.

Futurecoach16 writes:

in response to NachoDaddy_76:

I have never been to a "rassling" match (as you've put it), and I'm not much of a fan of country so no I don't have a Chesney poster, but I've YouTubed "Rocky Top" and have stumbled upon Cena singing it. And the fact that you go around implying I'm a sissy (or gay) tells me all I need to know about you in that you're insecure with yourself and can't stand being proven wrong.

Bigvolfan1975 writes:

Futurecoach16 writes:

in response to Bigvolfan1975:

And where was he in that first video? Gainesville, FL where he had given a concert, so he's interacting with the audience. Thank you for proving my point.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Anyone catch the Jimmy Hyams/ Fulmer interview yesterday? T'was a very good one. Fulmer was a SR when Condrege was a Frosh. He said if Condrege could have played as a frosh that they would have won the NC that season.

On the other hand, if things don't work out with Hamilton, is there anyone more qualified to be the next A.D.? Many say Fulmer, but I would say Condrege. Not a knock on Fulmer, I say give it to Condrege and give Fulmer Condrege's assistant A.D. Position. That IMO would prepare Fulmer to take over after Condrege, keep it in house.

Bigvolfan1975 writes:

in response to Futurecoach16:

Yeah, i guess your point isnt proven at all because a true vol fan wouldnt be caught dead in that gear.
Maybe I'm being harsh? It may just be the type of person he is = Fake!
If you say your a fan of one thing..then change it up just to impress or appease other people, your either a fake or a liar! I'm going with fake because I really dont think he is a "true" vol fan.
If he was loyal or had a spine, he would stand up for what he truly thinks, feels or believes in regardless of the situation!

Maybe your just as fake or unloyal as he is and thats why you cant understand this. Who knows?

and the staff wants to remove my comment and links,even though there is nothing obscene about what i said...nice.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Before the anti Fulmer crew comes out, you need to go to the Sports Animal archives and listen to the Fulmer/Hyams interview. It sounded like Ole' Phil is starting to bury the hatchet with his firing. Hind sight is 20/20. But hell, how would you feel if you were Phil and got canned for Jane Kiffin? It PAINS ME to see Fulmer bashed, yet the same ones bashing him WORSHIP Pearl. PULEASE???? You bash Fulmer and Kiffin when essentially Pearl is the equivalent of Lane Kiffin.

One thing Hamilton has done well is raise money and continue to improve facilities. No way in hell he will raise more money than Condrege and Phil. I say can Hamilton's arse. Make Condrege A.D. And give Phil is assistant A.D. Job, JMHO. Now let the bashing begin in 3...2...1... Have a good day folks.

Futurecoach16 writes:

in response to Bigvolfan1975:

Maybe I'm being harsh? It may just be the type of person he is = Fake!

Unbelievable as it may be, but his career (you know, the thing that he does to make a living) certainly trumps which college team he roots for, especially if he's not working for that college. I have been applying for jobs with several major league baseball teams, many of which I'm not much of a fan of, but if I got the job would I wear that team's apparel, even if it wasn't my favorite team's stuff? Absolutely. Would that make me a sellout?