Season ticket prices rising for football

Ticket-only portion increasing $30

The cost of an entire season of games at Neyland Stadium is going up.

With eight of them to attend this year though, in the short term the average price of a ticket to see Tennessee will actually be coming down in 2011.

But rising costs to run the athletic department among many other financial considerations have forced the athletic department to look for additional revenue, and the Vols are poised to raise prices for football after two years without any adjustments.

After adding an extra home game by buying out of a series with North Carolina last fall, the hike from $360 to $390 for a season-ticket package actually lowers the cost per outing in Derek Dooley’s second season. But the bonus date at Neyland Stadium wasn’t the motivating factor for UT to increase its prices as it plans for the future, and senior associate athletic director for external operations Chris Fuller made clear fans won’t be paying more just because there is an eighth home game in 2011.

“I don’t think we looked at it and said we’ve got an eight game, we’ve got additional operational costs associated with putting on an eighth game and in order to be where we need to be, we need to increase $30,” Fuller said on Wednesday. “And we’re also not saying that’s the value of the eighth game. It’s more in the context of a $100 million budget and where we need we had escalation and fixed costs. How are we going to get to the right revenue base to fund our program?

“I think in terms of what our thinking was, it’s not a surprise to anybody that our costs continue to escalate at a pretty significant rate in college athletics. Every time we sit down to discuss a situation like this, you’re really trying to balance a couple really interesting dynamics -- the accessibility of your product for your fans with what you need to generate from a revenue perspective to make sure we’re in a position to be as competitive as we can be on the field, off the field, all those kinds of things.”

There’s also a balance needed in some respect to help make UT competitive on courts or fields as well, and with football generating the vast majority of revenue for the athletic department, the ticket increase could bring in an addition $2 million or more for the university.

Single-game tickets will undergo a similar change this season as well, collectively going up $30 to mirror the increases for season-tickets.

“There’s also a certain amount of this that is sort of a cost-of-living adjustment,” Fuller said. “It’s hard when you talk about passing on additional costs to your customers, especially since I thought our fans were unbelievable last year for those seven games at Neyland Stadium last year -- particularly considering that all of us understand we’re not where we want to be right now on the product side.”

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

hillsean84 writes:

1st

EastTNvolfan writes:

What about the 1.5 million UT docked Coach Pearl's salary? Can't we just use that instead of raising ticket prices?

utvolman45 writes:

This is crazy! The stadium was not full for any game last year. I have had season tickets for twenty years time to let them go and get tickets on the street.

al2476 writes:

It is getting to where tickets at UT games are more than going to NFL games. We need to take part of the increase and get rid of Hamilton.

TeamXer writes:

This is almost as shocking as rising gas prices.

Vol43 writes:

in response to shen24:

AVolinWestVirginia writes:

in response to shen24:

Yeah, you should know after Tennessee took Alabummer 7 years in a row and Auburn took Alabummer 5 years in a row. Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!

TnTravelerVol writes:

in response to shen24:

Can't remember how many years in a row Fulmer bet yall, oh wait yes I can, it was 7. What was Fulmer's record coaching against your team anyway?

wbsmd1 writes:

I wonder if there will be any sellouts in 2011 at home?

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to shen24:

Losing a 24 point lead to Auburn was also nice

crmcm44#321757 writes:

If their goal is to price the average person out of the stadium they are going to be successful.

TennCup writes:

He's saying then that 7 games next year will be at least this much. Eh?

ncvol17 writes:

we now go to 1 home game a year and watch the rest on cable or espn gameplan..only a savings of over 1.5 grand counting travel, food, lodging,tickets,etc

jawga writes:

in response to PrideOfTheSouthlandBanned:

It's to help offset DD's new contract when he picks up his 7th W with the watered-down schedule.

lahvolman2 writes:

with all the games on tv now it's hard to drive 2 1/2 hrs to get there when that 42" plazma is 10' in front of you...... thanks for making that decision easy for me...... been a season ticket holder since 1968 but I'll be dammed if I'll do it for the likes of Bufffffaaalllooo.....

seadaddy writes:

in response to shen24:

Is that you Lady Gaga? ATTENTION SEEKER! = TROLL

seadaddy writes:

in response to Vol43:

Hit the suggest remove button and "it" can join his girlfriend claudettevol and be shown the the door by KNS.
Just a Lady Gaga type......ATTENTION SEEKER!

seadaddy writes:

in response to jrod:

Hit the suggest remove button enough and KNS will show them the door.
Just Lady Gaga types...ATTENTION SEEKERS!

Greyfeathers writes:

This will help to keep some of the riff-raff out of the stadium.

Vol43 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Idots. What are idots? Fulmer is gone as he should be. 'We' din't hire kiffin. Is that all you have or do you have more?

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

this makes no sense, hamilton, everyone hates you = gtfo

seadaddy writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Is that you Lady Gaga?
ATTENTION SEEKER=TROLL!

VolsSoldier1986 writes:

in response to ztoshiningz2:

If you paid for season tickets at $360 last year, they will cost $390 this year (2011). A $30 increase total. For single game tickets if you were to attend 8 games would cost you about $3.75 more per game than last year.

miketn6 writes:

The article is confusing about the amount of any actual increase per game, but I question the wisdom of any ticket price increases when the stadium consistently has so many empty seats. All the tickets may still be selling for now, but the scalpers won't eat them forever.

bigdisbig writes:

in response to PrideOfTheSouthlandBanned:

They can't beat UNC as seen from the bowl game.
Hamilton thought if we bring the mighty University of Buffalo to Neyland people would be coming in 2 on a mule to see them.

tomkats3242 writes:

FIRE MIKE HAMILITON ASAP. You are driving good Tennessee fans away from the stadium. Quit paying coaches millions. There are good coachs that would do it for little. The UT President should take control of the AD job and FIRE Hamiltion. He is a Doug Dickey clone. A bad one.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to seadaddy:

Is that you Lady Gaga?
ATTENTION SEEKER=TROLL!

seadaddy,

The truth about the trolls like Cantstandhimself/oranyone, and Shen,Jawja etc...........

Tennessee just eats at these trolls. It's a consuming condition they can't escape.

Got that trolls??????????????

Back to the topic aside from trolls,

look for soft drinks to go to $10 and pop corn $8.00
Also programs will be $20.00..........wait they don't sell programs. Each week the vendors yell "programs" and they actually just sell this "yearbook".........same one you bought at the last game. Bud Ford wasn't man enough to reply and explain why they are ripping us off thinking we are buying a program.

UTengr36 writes:

Pay the fine and sell beer at the games.

GoVols025 writes:

in response to ztoshiningz2:

Just can't help yourself can you lil' zzgatafellar? A total attention whore.

govolsbaby writes:

it still baffles me that people complain about scheduling games like buffalo and middle tenn.
i dont know about yall but i like W's!
no reason to play tough nonconference games like oregon when we already have to play UF, UGA, LSU, bama, arkansas and SC!

OrangePride writes:

in response to govolsbaby:

i dont know about yall but i like W's!

I like W's too.....we all do. On the other hand, I love good football as well. Teams like Buffalo or Florida International and the like are usually so non-competitive that they're not worth attending. I should say that UAB gave us fits and Ohio was a great game to watch even if only for their band.....which was GREAT. All things considered, I'd just as soon see the UNC game here.

abnermc writes:

in response to shen24:

That's what Auburn says

12Hours writes:

Iam going to try and find and post a link to another article I read about this.
This article is very skimpy with important facts.
One of those facts is that the other article pointed out the cost of tickets to every other SEC school. We are not the highest.
It also pointed out that only 30% of our tickets require a donation. Many are grandfathered in and so no donation is given by those ticket holders. At FL 100% of the tickets require a donation. I think AL was like 80%. That means that the school is getting money from the donations that TN is not getting. So, prices have to be higher because the money has to come from somewhere.
The article also pointed out that the UT Athletic Dept gives lots of $ to the academic side.
And for those who blame this all on Hamilton, he didn't create the situation that has 70% of tickets requiring no donation. He actually has UT athletics in very good financial shape unlike many other schools.

ThurmondEppy writes:

There was an article in a local Atlanta paper entitled "The City that Ate Itself" discussing how the city is taxing and nickel and dime-ing its citizens to death, and that will be its downfall. I see a similar situation with TN Football. You can't just keep raising prices on a product that has been mediocre at best over the past few years and expect people to just keep paying - especially in a down economy. 15 years ago I would have killed for season tickets but I was broke. Now I have the means to get them but I'm not going to submit myself to price gouging. It's easier and more economical to watch from home - which is sad. I fear that TN football is killing itself from within with these price increases.

12Hours writes:

OK, I found the article which was sent to me in an online newsletter.
I can't give you a link to the whole thing so I will share a few important parts.
Again, I wish KNS would do a better job when they reprint a story and not leave out important facts.
Here is some of the original story:
"It's sort of a mixed bag in the league this year, with some schools staying flat and some increasing," said Chris Fuller, senior associate athletics director for external operations and a seven-year veteran of UT's athletics department. "This is not something we entered into lightly. There were significant discussions about taking this step."
But it's a step that the department widely viewed as necessary to generate additional revenue from a sport that funds an overwhelming majority of UTAD's more than $100 million budget. Based on recent season ticket sales numbers, the $30 increase should result in approximately $2 million to $2.1 million in additional revenue --- or roughly the equivalent of coach Derek Dooley's salary for the coming season and that of a position coach. Tennessee sold in the vicinity of 67,000 season tickets for the 2010 season and just less than 70,000 prior to the '09 campaign.
At this time, Mississippi State is scheduled for the largest per-game increase in the conference for the coming season; the Bulldogs are raising tickets on average more than 25 percent from roughly $34 per game to just more than $43 per game for six home games. While the Vols' new season ticket price point will rest not quite at the top of the league, Fuller notes, he also points out that Tennessee continues to face challenges stemming from the school's "grandfather" clause for season tickets that are purchased without any requisite donation. Approximately 30 percent --- 20,000-21,000 --- of season tickets purchased annually for UT football fall under the no-donation category. That's a huge step downward from rivals such as Florida, Georgia and even LSU, all of which have nearly 100-percent donation levels for their season tickets, Fuller explained.

abnermc writes:

in response to jawga:

Let's see did Mark get his 7th? no ,wait did he get his 6th? no... He lost his red panties.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

I've not been really crazy about some of the Fulmer for A.D. Talk. But you know, I do like the idea of Condrege for A.D. And Fulmer taking over his spot as assistant A.D. Condrege is loved dearly by the VolNation and holds the same love in return for us and the program. He has been the Assistant A.D. And understands the inner workings of the Athletic Department. Yeah, I know Hamilton can raise money and build facilities, but that money comes from peoples love for the program, not him, not his doings IMO. I'm pretty sure Fulmer and Condrege could continue raising a pretty penny for the Ath. Dept. While keeping what's best for the program at heart. I just don't trust Hamilton, and once I get that taste in my mouth it's hard to get rid of it. We tried an outsider, its not working. We now have a new president, that's long over due. Time to turn over a new leaf and keep it close to home while doing so. Condrege for A.D., Fulmer as his Assistant A.D.

rocky_topper writes:

Don't worry, Hamilton won't be around to even see what the tickets will look like this Fall once they are printed. Once they get this NCAA phooey done, he is toast!

rocky_topper writes:

I'm pretty sure I didn't say "phooey"!

bigdisbig writes:

in response to Driving_Ms_Dooley:

For your information I am a UT graduate and Vol fan. It amuses me how childish you and others use the word "troll". You sound like some child on a playground who got slapped by a bully.
Its people like you who are cowards and refuse to face reality. Its people like you who feed the true "trolls" as you call them.

If you continue to throw gas on a fire it will never go away. As long as you continue to reply to "trolls" they will only continue to slap you.
Grow up dude and tell your narrow minded buddies on here to grow up with you. Hamilton made a bad move when he took UNC off the schedule and replaced them with Buffalo. He is the problem with our football team.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Title IX has got to be looked at with some perspective. It's 2011. There are just some sports that don't make money: both mens and womens sports. It's time for the government to allow schools to trim the fat and eliminate programs that just don't make sense or money. It cost too much to run the football program, and mens and womens basketball programs and have those programs support the other programs that don't make money. I'm sure Ticket prices would rise no matter what. However I'm sure Title IX plays some role in the increasing prices for football tickets. I'm glad I'm rich.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Excellent comments Rich. I've been saying the same thing on Scout message boards for a while: this is THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE. Hamilton is not the only person who can raise money for the program. There's too many people that love this University that would gladly send their money to keep it rolling, and I'm one of them. The ability to raise money should not ensure that Hamilton keeps his job. It's more than just raising money.

ddayvolsfan#238252 writes:

in response to shen24:

It is easily understood why a pathetic bammer fan like yourself would pay top dollar to attend the #1 place in America to watch a college football game (Sporting News). After all, everyone wants to experience the best!!! and game day at Neyland is the best.. BTW, I would not be crowing so loudly when my #1 rival came from 20 points down on my home turf to walk away with a NC. Can you say war darn chicken??

AHoffman writes:

in response to utvolman45:

I dropped my season tickets when Hamilton hired Kiffin and have since never had a problem obtaining tickets at a substantial discount.

PHAT_VOL writes:

Is this what happens when you hire a fund raiser as your A.D.?
GO VOLS!

8ball writes:

in response to shen24:

Auburn 28 ala 27

8ball writes:

in response to ivanstanford:

Shen24 likes football players in tight pants( he said so)

Greatbasicswin writes:

I would think that with the sweet deal the SEC got in television revenue there wouldnt be a need for a price hike. I guess the team will be playing in front of a half filled stadium while the other half is at home watching. Concessions will take a nose dive but hey we will save a fortune on our water bill. There wont be as many there to flush the toilets.

Smokey_Chow writes:

I picked the perfect year to purchase my first season tickets........

nepperso#220348 writes:

Typically, when price increases demand decreases. This is especially consistent when the quality of the product is in question. Hey Mike Hamilton, pull your head out of your @#$.