Former Webb star Michael Carillon to walk on at UT

Michael Carillon

Photo by Adam Brimer

Michael Carillon

Michael Carillon knew he had made a mistake.

When the former Webb School football standout got going into his first semester of college at Tennessee this past fall, he said he felt not playing football left a large void in his life.

His second chance is on the way. Carillon, a 6-foot-1, 180-pound freshman, has accepted an opportunity to walk on at Tennessee. He will play defensive back.

Carillon made the News Sentinel's All PrepXtra First Team as a senior and was also tabbed an all-state player by the Tennessee Sports Writers Association. He made 47 tackles and three interceptions in the 2009 season, which ended with a Division II-A state title for Webb.

"Right out of high school I decided not to go play somewhere else, like a smaller school," said Carillon. "I wanted to come to UT and get my academics started. The first semester, I couldn't help to still have that inside me, knowing that I should be playing somewhere. It dawned on me to go and walk on.

"That's what I did. I started working out first semester when I realized I needed to do this."

Carillon approached the Tennessee coaching staff late in the fall and initially thought he'd have to try out. That wasn't the case. Carillon said he was told coach Derek Dooley and his staff don't conduct tryouts, that they'd rather analyze the players' high school films.

Carillon submitted his. He was informed Wednesday that he was one of three chosen to walk on.

Carillon said he was told he may be needed as soon as spring practice, given the recent depletion of Tennessee's secondary. Safety Janzen Jackson left school for personal reasons and Brent Brewer was suspended indefinitely pending an investigation into domestic assault charges.

"That got me pretty excited," said Carillon. "I have to get even more in-shape and ready in case they call me in."

He consulted with current walk-ons and former Catholic stars Dorian Cozart (running back) and Nick Branum (defensive back) about his decision. He's been working out five days a week.

"It's going to be a shock," he said. "It's just like every spring when you go out for practice, you start doing those hitting drills and you're a little nervous at first. But once you get hit, it's natural again. I'm excited for that."

Carillon added he's been a "die-hard Tennessee fan" since the day he was born.

"(Wednesday) night, one of my uncles called me who is one of the biggest Alabama fans ever," said Carillon. "He said, 'I heard some news today. I'm not going to say anything about Rocky Top or the Vols, but I just want to say congratulations.' So, that was pretty funny."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mountainbrook writes:

Good luck.

gmshooter writes:

We always have a place for kids that bleed orange on our team .

esarmstrong#231516 writes:

Who knows, maybe another Nick Reveiz in the making. You never know where your help may come from in the future.

rockytopatl writes:

Who knows? He may be the next Nick Reveiz.

govols1234567 writes:

Who knows? maybe we have another Nick Reveiz

govols1234567 writes:

in response to govols1234567:

Who knows? maybe we have another Nick Reveiz

haha couldn't help it....

peyton4heisman writes:

Who knows? We may have another Nick Reveiz.

thetrollhunter writes:

who knows? this could be the next Nick Reveiz

govolsbaby writes:

Hey who knows? Kid might be the next Nick Reveiz

PdxVol writes:

You never know. This kid might be the next Nick Reveiz

iowavol writes:

WTF. Kids seems a little like Nick Reveiz.

wjackson#226202 writes:

Ok, It's time to take a poll. Who thinks this kid might be another Nick Reveiz? ;-)

Salpointe writes:

Why do kids have to be selected to walk on? I thought this was a public institution not a pro organization? Give every kid a chance to show their skills. If they don't measure up, then make the cut but not before you give them a chance. Remember, this is America!

jasvol writes:

Hey, does anybody think this kid could be the next Nick Reveiz?

vol98champ writes:

Sometimes you guys make the KNS look like pros.

vol4good#206163 writes:

Mabye he could be the next Bill Bates!

BillyVol writes:

Maybe, just maybe hmmmm not sure, but he could be the next Nick Reveiz? I have to ask, who is Nick Reveiz?

BrassMonkey writes:

After reading the story I can't help but think he might be the second coming of Nick Reveiz.

volaholic45 writes:

in response to Salpointe:

If this view prevails because "this is America," I propose establishing a fund to give Bama and UF students $5 a piece to demand their God-given right to a tryout for their school's football team. I'd like to see Saban and Muschamp spending the spring weeding through 10K or so prospective walk ons. Get the Title 9 types riled up, and maybe the 10K can become 11. Remember, this is America!

UTSmokey04 writes:

in response to Salpointe:

Salpointe,

Every kid that attends UT can attempt to walk on, as they can at every school in the country. What this article is missing is the word "preferred" walk on. A preferred walk on and a walk on are entirely different. I coach in one of the toughtest conferences in Wisconsin and saw a ton of kids not take D2 offers or D3 invites to be a preferred walk on at Wisconsin.

Biggie writes:

This sounds just like the Nick Reviez story...

Tau_of_Tennessee writes:

There have been many great walk on stories at UT. Good luck to you young man.

gillblog writes:

Reveiz?, I dunno.

But, I do know this;
Webb turns out some excellent students, and if they happen to be athletically gifted they do not fall into the self-absorbed, greed of big-time sports which so often turns good kids into punks and prima donna's. This is a direct result of the kind of educational foundation the school provides.

Webb grads usually are quite serious about their next level of education and aren't willing to toss aside their opportunities just to make a lot of money.

Robert Webb did a good thing when he brought is vision of education to Knoxville and the spirit of his work endures.

Bigger_Al writes:

Never know. Could be the next Tyler Wolf.

ViT writes:

His name was Nick Reveiz...

/fightclub

Smokey_Chow writes:

in response to ViT:

His name was Nick Reveiz...

/fightclub

LOL, now that is funny..... And all the vols fans begin to chant "His name was nick Reveiz.."

VolsToTheWall writes:

He is Nick's smirking revenge.

YoungUtAlum writes:

BOMBS BOMBS BOMBS

cgbtn writes:

Actually, this guy sounds more like another Tim Townes.

dtacker#607308 writes:

Dude, Nick Reviez?

mtnbikrtn writes:

Maybe he will be the next J.J. McCleskey.

tennrich1 writes:

Who knows, he might be the next....Man, i am really procrastinating changing the oil in the truck now!!!

MrsFish writes:

in response to myfuzzyvolz:

Don't worry Bolivar Bob, I've got your back. I am from Medon.

in response to BolivarBob:

Well, there's not a lot of (good) UT football news right now, so why not celebrate a good, smart local kid who bleeds orange for walking on? He might help and, since he isn't taking away a scholarship, he surely can't hurt.

bowman58#262482 writes:

Sounds like he's going to be the next Michael Carillon. You guys are just too funny!!! Really enjoyed the banter.

volfan2002 writes:

Hey just came up with an idea. This kid could be the next Nick Reveiz. What does everyone think about this?

gluesniffer writes:

who is Nick Reveiz?

CoverOrange writes:

Who was Nick Reveiz before Nick Reviez?

RealisticVol writes:

I would rather have a "Bleeds Orange" local boy who plays with passion at 110% every play over a more talented one just looking to get along playing at 80%.

bseaman7117 writes:

Hopefully this local athlete will replace that girlfriend beater from Louisiana...I'm of course speaking of the player that almost single handedly gave the win to NC in the Music City bowl with a completely stupid foul of leading with his helmet (he obviously can't use his head)...Janzen Jackson. Good riddance to all of LK's recruits...we don't need these thugs.

bseaman7117 writes:

in response to gillblog:

Reveiz?, I dunno.

But, I do know this;

VERY WELL SAID GILL !!

springtx_vol writes:

in response to bseaman7117:

First, Jackson was not penalized for leading with his helmet, he was flagged for launching himself at the receiver.

Second, get over it already. Until I know more than what is out right now (and I have no right for any more as long as it is not legal issues), I would take Janzen back in a second if I had anything to do with it.

ReVolver writes:

"Principes, non homines"

PdxVol writes:

in response to ReVolver:

"Principes, non homines"

translation: Reveiz's, not ordinary walk-ons

PdxVol writes:

in response to gillblog:

Reveiz?, I dunno.

But, I do know this;

Do you think this kid might be the next Nick Reveiz?

PeeEllthree writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Who was Nick Reveiz before Nick Reviez?

There will only be one Nick Reveiz, and his name is Nick Reveiz. His name, is Nick Reveiz

gillblog writes:

in response to PdxVol:

Do you think this kid might be the next Nick Reveiz?

Let me quote myself:
"I dunno."

I have spoken.

Hillbilly_Orange writes:

Nick Reviez comes to mind when I read this story

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Folks must remember that Riveiz was one hell of a player in HS. His size held him back from being recruited. Also, Reveiz was the exception not the rule. Only thing I think of is scout team when I read this story. Not being negative, just stating the obvious. The Blance brothers are EASILY the best players at Webb, and they are not UT material, mainly do to size. This dude isn't one of the top 20 players in East Tennessee. Not Tennessee, EAST Tennessee. Not sure why this is a story.