UT announces 2011 football schedule

The dates and opponents are locked in for Derek Dooley's second season.

And after sneaking in a bowl matchup with North Carolina to close 2010 instead of the series Tennessee bought out of scheduled to start this year, the Vols coach appears to have the manageable slate the program was looking for when it dropped the Tar Heels.

In place of the team that escaped with a 30-27 win in double overtime in the Music City Bowl on Thursday in Nashville, UT will host Buffalo on Oct. 1 following an off week and the first three games of the regular season -- a home opener against Montana, another nonconference tilt with Cincinnati and a trip to Florida.

The Vols also play Middle Tennessee State in action outside of the SEC, but while they were able to soften some of the difficulty for a roster still in transition, there's nothing that can be done to ease up the league schedule.

Trips to Florida (Sept. 17), Alabama (Oct. 22) and Arkansas (Nov. 12) will provide tough tests for Dooley's young squad, though one possible benefit for the Vols next season is that none of the road trips are on consecutive weekends with the final game away from Neyland Stadium set for Nov. 26 at Kentucky.

UT will be playing eight times at home for just the third time in school history, joining 1950 and 2009 as the only seasons with so many dates in Knoxville. All kickoff times are still undetermined.

2011 Tennessee Football Schedule

Date Opponent Location

Sept. 3 Montana Knoxville

Sept. 10 Cincinnati Knoxville

Sept. 17 at Florida Gainesville, Fla.

Sept. 24 OPEN

Oct. 1 Buffalo Knoxville

Oct. 8 Georgia Knoxville

Oct. 15 LSU Knoxville

Oct. 22 at Alabama Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Oct. 29 South Carolina Knoxville

Nov. 5 Middle Tennessee Knoxville

Nov. 12 at Arkansas Fayetteville, Ark.

Nov. 19 Vanderbilt Knoxville

Nov. 26 at Kentucky Lexington, Ky.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

utfpmd writes:

I'm thinking 8 and 4, with wins over Georgia, LSU, and/or South Carolina.

dontfeedthemikey writes:

I wish they would have keep North Caroline on the schedule. This looks like a cup cake schedule. I can only see 3 to 4 loses next year.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

There is a strong possibility that I will be going to grad school at Cinci next year. Not sure if I'll be able to support the Vols unless this new coach can get his players and his own phooey in line. Until that happens, it is hard to like the new regime.

SEAL_9821 writes:

Is it me or does the open date come at a useless time? Just my thoughts. Seems like we would better at using it in October before Georgia or LSU.

Mule_Days_King writes:

Any guesses on which troll takes the bait first?

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to utfpmd:

I'm thinking 8 and 4, with wins over Georgia, LSU, and/or South Carolina.

I'm goin' with 14-0 and a National Championship.
But hey!
No pressure here! 8-)

volzcrushm writes:

With bad breaks... 7-5
normal season..... 8-4
with good breaks.. 9-3
w/ couple miracles 10-2

Mule_Days_King writes:

Ding ding...zz is the winner!

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Looks as if UT could be 6-6 at end of regular season. 2 conference wins over Vandy and Kentucky. Any wins above that would be a bonus.

Rebuilding in the SEC is tough.

Biggie writes:

I hate this softening up of the schedule. We are UT! Take a tip from Coach Summitt; To be the best you have to play the best" Who cares if we're 9-3 if we play a soft schedule like Nebraska?

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to back2z1:

Funny, I don't see the Packers on UT's schedule next season.

AHOUSE writes:

Can we get a schedule for the ref's also?

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to back2z1:

Looked at the schedule again, just to be sure,
We do NOT play in Green Bay next year.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED:

Rebuilding in the SEC is tough.

I see 7-5. Add UGA to your conference win total.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Don't know what stuff you are talking about in this staff but please go to Cincy and become a Cincy fan. The Vols don't need fans like you.

Grevolsfan writes:

Ill say:

Montana W
Cincinnati W
Florida W
Buffalo W
Georgia W
Louisiana State L
Alabama L
South Carolina W
Middle Tenn W
Arkansas L
Vanderbilt W
Kentucky W

honestly i think we've got a good chance of beating Florida and Alabubba this year, well at least I hope. Cincys got a good QB but they shouldnt be too bad. Arkansas and LSU will be tough, but you never know. South Carolina shouldnt be too hard to beat. And Kentucky and Vandy, of course are still kentucky and vandy.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

Exactly!! It's called a fair-weathered fan and we have our share of them..It is what it is, unfortunately...I think Dooley did a good job UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

Hacksaw57 writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

Ding ding...zz is the winner!

Ding BONG - zz is ALWAYS a LOSER!
(I had to use Bong instead of *ong because they said it was not allowed)

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Well..the trolls keep trolling.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

You sound like a good friend of mine that I went to college with. He was a Vols fan all through college and grad school. We even celebrated the NC at his house. That is until he got accepted into UF for his PhD. Now he's a Gator. I give him grief every time we speak.
Since I don't know you, I will tell you to kiss my a** and don't let the doorknob hit ya on the way out. Change your screen name as well.

SummittsCourt writes:

Sure wins: Montana, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Middle Tennessee, & Vanderbilt

Should wins: Georgia, SC & @ Kentucky

50/50 games: @ Florida, LSU

Challenge games: @ Alabama & @ Arkansas

8-4 or 9-3 is very doable.

Hate the soft non conference schedule, but it is what it is.

BamaVol writes:

I see a 7-5, with a little luck and no break downs in the last few seconds maybe 8-4, 2012 will be the year we go 10-2, after that, #1

Grevolsfan writes:

I don't know why you guys are being so pessimistic towards the vols. i mean we are getting a lot of great young and experienced players back and i think we should have a lot of confidence in them. We will be a lot better next year, no doubt.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

I see 7-5. Add UGA to your conference win total.

I can see that. UGa at home could be one for us. But we still will have a young team that will get schooled on occasions.

But 7-5 is still realistic and attainable.

Grevolsfan writes:

in response to BamaVol:

I picked us to go 9-3 give or take one or two this coming year. I have much higher expectations about this year. But I agree with you, it wont be long until we are no. #1!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

In response to the troll that called Tennessee fans arrogant:
This poster wasn't saying that we were going to be in the Championship game for sure..He was simply saying that it should be added because it is added every year to every SEC's team schedule..NOT BECAUSE HE WAS BEING ARROGANT...Good grief!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Grevolsfan:

I think some are just being cautious, not really pessimistic..But I do agree with you on your predictions.

gnm53108 writes:

Why did LSU get flipped from before GA to after?

I smell slive...I mean bammer.

rocky_topper writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Grad school my a***! I'm sure that you meant kindergarten? The Vols don't need people like you, lil guy!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

The nonconference schedule is embarrassing. Montana and Buffalo sound like teams Florida would schedule. When Coach Weis takes over at Florida (and he will be running the show there) he will have a hard time scheduling teams any weaker than theses.

jjsteel writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

bye

Volunatic writes:

Open date before the Buffalo game?
I sure hope the Vols beat uf next season. No fun having an open date after a loss.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Agree wholeheartedly on the nonconference schedule but I understand the reasoning behind it.

BTW thanks for your service.

UTByrd writes:

in response to SEAL_9821:

I always hated having a bye week before the UF game. The Buffalo game will serve as a tune-up before getting to the meat of the achedule.
Go VOLS!!!!!

pcorange writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Sure wins: Montana, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Middle Tennessee, & Vanderbilt

Should wins: Georgia, SC & @ Kentucky

50/50 games: @ Florida, LSU

Challenge games: @ Alabama & @ Arkansas

8-4 or 9-3 is very doable.

Hate the soft non conference schedule, but it is what it is.

Probably ought to move Cincinnati and Middle to the "should win" column. Agree with you about the soft non-conference schedule. It would be nice to get some revenge over UNC this fall!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to UTByrd:

Go VOLS!!!!!

It's because that bye week you speak of usually served as PF's chance to vacation in Jackson Hole.

dpvolfan writes:

I love my Vols and understand what the University and Hamilton are trying to do but its sad to see us resort to games like Buffalo, Montana, and MTSU all in the same season. Before this year when was the last time we ever played FCS schools in a season. Yeah I know its all for recruiting purposes but what do you think recruits are more impressed with...A win over Buffalo or an ESPN showdown against a top 25 team like UNC.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to pcorange:

The Middle game will be a win. Dwight "Poker Face" Dasher is gone.

bigdisbig writes:

Every one of you guys must be sitting in a circle smoking weed. First off, Dooley and his stooges can't manage how many players are supposed to be on the field on a regular basis. We have the most pathetic offensive line in the SEC who can't block an NC lineman, we have a clown for a quarterback who gives the neck slice like some gang member. Dooley has no control over his coaches or players. He is a rookie in the big leagues. We have no running game in sight next year and the defense will be worse than this year!! Call me a troll if you want like some kid who had his toys taken away but the truth is plainly spoken. This team will beat the patsys like they did this year and lose to the quality teams like they did this year as well. Get used to some 6-6 or 7-5 years under Dooley......UNLESS he can recruit some heros to pull these thugs out of the hole they have dug. Hamilton has brought UT football to mediocrity and will stay that way until he is gone.

scvols writes:

6 of the teams we play are top 15 teams, VOLS will have their work cut out for them.

prince564 writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Chris why don't you take that good chance, and support the Bearcats. We do not need any spineless fans in the Vol Nation.

paradisetaxi writes:

tooooooo soft ! when was the last time we played this soft of a schedule ?

jobrando#216494 writes:

7-5 will keep me happy. A win over the Gator's or Arkansas will get the VOLS to 7-5.

Southland writes:

in response to dontfeedthemikey:

I sure wished NC was on the schedule now as well. The schedule is weak and that is on purpose. We have an Alabama and Florida kind of schedule this year and I for one am glad of it

murrayvol writes:

in response to back2z1:

They are the champions of Alachua County.

Do you get a ring for that?

arkyvol writes:

in response to dontfeedthemikey:

that kind of record might get the vols into the kind of bowl where they don't belong. think connecticutt against oklahoma.

ibvolman writes:

Montana - Win

Cincinnati - Closer than Montana, but still a win.

Florida - Toss up. I don't care how many times the gator trolls try to tout UF dominance, UF was the underacievers of the SECE this year, and there are too many unknowns going into next year with a coaching change.

Buffalo - Win

Georgia - Win. I know UGA won this past year, but the Vols were flat after the LSU debacle. This year it is on our turf, and UGA is in a serious decline.

LSU - Toss up. Vols always play LSU tough, but it depends on how lucky the Mad Hatter has been up to this point. I fear Les could do something extremely stupid that somehow works out to his favor.

Alabama - Loss. I am orange through and through, but Alabubba is just very dominant. Thier QB for next year looks as good or better than the one they lost, and they have a powerful running game with a great D.

South Carolina - Toss up. You never know about the Old Ball Coach. USC has a much improved running game, and thier D has improved since the Vols played them this past season. I look for a close game that could go either way.

Middle Tennessee - Win, I don't give a rip what NOTvandyGrad says.

Arkansas Fayetteville - Toss up. It is hard to tell what Arky has without the gunslinger. Thier D isn't great, but adequate in most games.

Vanderbilt - Vandy couldn't beat the Vols on thier best day, and on our worst. Coaching changes at Vandy mean little to nothing as everyone there expects 2-10 seasons.

Kentucky - Win. Can you say 27?

I see 7 wins, 4 that are too close to call, and 1 loss. Figuring the odds, UT sould come out around 8-4, but 9-3 wouldn't suprise me with losses to Alabama, LSU, and USC.

I predicted 7-5 starting last regular season, and it would have been except for the inability to count at LSU. This next season my prediction is 8-4.

murrayvol writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

And your IQ will be under 80 until hell freezes over. Yes!

DooleysOrangePants writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

bye, dont the the door hit ya on the way out. youre either ut or your not. no in between.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Go ahead and switch now. Cincy certainly had a tremendous season. Nothing cries tradition like Cincinnati football!

I'm predicting 7-5 next year, with a bowl win to close at 8-5.

Modest improvement.