Vols coach Bruce Pearl begins suspension Saturday

Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl, right, and associate head coach Tony Jones look on during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against College of Charleston on Thursday, Dec. 31, 2010, in Knoxville. Pearl was ejected from the game shortly afterward. College of Charleston won 91-78.

Photo by Wade Payne, Associated Press

Tennessee has two men's basketball games this week, one with coach Bruce Pearl and one without.

Pearl will be inside Thompson-Boling Arena on Wednesday night for the matchup with visiting Memphis, but he is not allowed inside Bud Walton Arena on Saturday afternoon when the Volunteers begin their Southeastern Conference schedule at Arkansas. Tennessee's sixth-year coach was suspended for the first eight league games in November by conference commissioner Mike Slive for violating NCAA rules and providing false information to NCAA investigators.

"I think one of the biggest things that you do as a coach is try to have things in preparation be very similar for your players," Pearl said Monday. "You try to do it the same, and that's sort of the approach we're going to take. We're going to kind of keep it as business as usual.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

CockeCountyNative writes:

Fire Mike Slive. Way over-stepped his boundaries on this one. Let the NCAA drop the hammer.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to CockeCountyNative:

I am not defending the idiot Slive, but it is possible he was trying to get the NCAA to ease up some. However, if he isn't going to do anything about the paid player Newton, then he should rescind Bruce's punishment

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to back2z1:

Witch Doctor say we all talked about the other night at the cookout.....er...uh...Witch Doctor say nevermind....Witch Doctor say seriously bet players respond very well to Jones for some reason.
Bones never lie.
Go Vols

Greyfeathers writes:

" One of the biggest things you do as a coach is try to have things in preperation be very similar for your players." Nope, Lyin' Bruce, the biggest things you should do as a coach is to not cheat and to tell the truth. You ain't learned that yet.

RoadTrip writes:

I am growing very weary of our Vol's major sports programs being the subject of NCAA investigations and ridicule. This has been going on long enough. Football - Fulmer Cup/Liar Surfer Dude/Pilot/Bar Knoxville. Basketball - Disaster Houston/Buzzball/Pearl Lying. Baseball - Raleigh ('nuff said).

Football is fixed. The other two need to be.

robertb writes:

And he STILL hasnt signed a contract....come on sheep the signs are present that Pearl won't be present in a short period of time, unfortunately. But Pearl made the bed in which he now "lies".

brod writes:

i hope that bruce survives the storm. the ncaa investigation and the recent decline in the team's play have been tough on the fans. ut basketball has been the highlight of my winters the past five years. i have enjoyed all of the memories and i hope to have many more in the years to come.

TommyJack writes:

in response to robertb:

I hope you're wrong, but fear you're right.

crappieking writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

volsfan74 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I hope you're wrong, but fear you're right.

I agree I believe the NOT signing the contract is the biggest tell tell sign that Pearl is not staying. The question I have (even though it is PREMATURE) if Pearl is NOT our coach who would you like to see fill that position? Could we get a top notch coach with the NCAA verdict still lingering?

james#216392 writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

He's going to get worse because they are going to let KY have Kanter, the professional BB player. Mark it down. Cal carries a big stick, with a crook on the end.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Witch Doctor believe they have it......but very very quiet about it.
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to back2z1:

Witch Doctor cant really say much about he Memphis game....as really this teams last few games really dont tell a tale. BUT I'd bet a million dollars after that game they find a new purpose and bounce in their game..something noticeably missing the last few(?)
Tony Jones HC? I'd bet another million(Witch Doctor have to borrow it of "Farragut" or "CantstandSaban" (hehe)
Bones never lie.

samvol writes:

tony jones head is further up his a** than bruce pearl head is up his a**...tjones can't coach but he sho can dress.

brod writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

obviously more fulfilling than you dumb a**. at least i have better things to do than go out to an athletic web site comment board and never say a positive comment about anything. there are some pathetic people who post on this website and you are the biggest damn loser of them all.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Tommy Jack, I think youj are totally correct.

Mule_Days_King writes:

Interim HC Tony Jones. Might want to get used to that I'm afraid folks.

drone#208075 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor believe they have it......but very very quiet about it.
Bones never lie.

It seems that way WDg. Seems the Team knows also - so why not put it out there and get it over with?

murrayvol writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

Interim HC Tony Jones. Might want to get used to that I'm afraid folks.

Coach TJ. Has a nice ring to it.

N2Motorsports writes:

The Vols will continue to struggle with or without Coach Pearl if they keep playing like a bunch of lazy bums.

dobsonpat846 writes:

Vols will continue their rapid descent into chaos bec, guys are inconsistent. I still believe they take cues from their coach who isn't the most legit guy around. My guess is that their lack luster play comes from a lack of respect for the guy. Lets see what happens under Jones.

SunshineVol writes:

If the NCAA drops the hammer in March, sadly, CBP is done and UT basketball takes some very large steps back.

budd#207344 writes:

I just hope the ncaa does not do something for effect. The coach has had pay docked, recruiting curtailed, and now suspended from first half of the league season. To do any more doesn't hurt CBP it hurts the program which is not the one who made the mistakes. Right now it will be an uphill battle to maintain progress. Any more sanctions will kill the spirit of the players and have our fair weather fans out of TBA. That will hurt everyone instead of just CBP

volsfan74 writes:

I'm confused as to what right the NCAA has to take scholly's away or ban us from post season etc. We were not playing with in eligible players etc. As far as suspending CBP they obviously have the authority to do that, but to harm the University or the program would be unfair.

tulelakevol writes:

I am afraid Pearl is history. They look like they got the letter right before the Oakland game, and the team still ain't over it. I love what Pearl has done for the Vols, and I love the winning, but I believe this will be too much to overcome. I hope I am dead wrong.

lcmannng#470900 writes:

TENN80: With the team not doing well everyone suddenly becomes a coach who knows more than those who are paid a very high salary for their work. I, like many others think we know how to improve the team. The first thing I would do is to set Williams down on the beach and keep him there. He does not rebound well considering his size and is probably the worst shot maker that I have seen playing that position in years. We need a larger guard. Goins and Golden are too small to play guard in modern day basketball. They are unable to guard larger players. Lastly, the team is being over-coached. They should be allowed to play more instinctively. After all most of them have played basketball most of their lives. Playing and thinking what to do next brings forth indecisiveness. I believe the team is about to turn a corner. GO VOLS

born2ride writes:

Bruce & Steven are history.

Bye Bye

Volumnus writes:

in response to samvol:

Hmmm, I an not sure about TJ's inability to achieve cranial-rectal separation, but he has some problems with this entire situation of concealing the infractions. He also may have (rumored) had some complaints filed with the NCAA by people about his truthfulness during recruiting. So depending upon how this goes down with the NCAA and the letter that should have been delivered by now and has not been made public(suspiciously)yet, I would not be surprised to see TJ gone if Pearl goes. I would not be surprised to find out that the recent downward spiral is a result of what is in that letter. The players know the situation, and they appear to have given up.

Katphan29 writes:

in response to brod:

This Kentucky fan slso hope Bruce survives the storm and stays in place. I am glad his first game back from suspension is the Kentucky game. That should be a thriller.

Katphan29 writes:

People underestimate Bruce Pearl. He is a tough guy, and I really believe - mark my words - he will have this UT team out swinging very soon. A strong UT is good for the SEC, and I just believe alot of UT fans (no, I am not a UT fan but I respect the program) are underestimating Bruce.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

"The Letter" will be made public soon after the mempho game. It won't be pretty, but I think BP will eventually be back (maybe not this season).

brod writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

i'm glad you're still LMAO. you're also still a f***ing idiot. you don't know sh** about basketball. all you do is reply to posts like a pathetic geek who has nothing else to do in life.

dgcarter43 writes:

Bruce Pearl made a mistake but, with John calipari committing all the infractions that he has and getting off so light, the NCAA will be setting a double standard if they come down too hard on Bruce. Bobby Knight said Calipari shouldn't be allowed to coach in the NCAA.