Vols take out frustrations on Memphis, 104-84

Tennessee guard Melvin Goins shoots a three pointer during the game against Memphis at Thompson-Boling Arena Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011.  Goins scored 15 points for the Vols during their 104-84 defeat of the Tigers.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee guard Melvin Goins shoots a three pointer during the game against Memphis at Thompson-Boling Arena Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011. Goins scored 15 points for the Vols during their 104-84 defeat of the Tigers.

UT's Bruce Pearl talks about win over Memphis

The Tennessee men's basketball team rang in the new year with a resounding victory over rival Memphis on Wednesday night.

The Vols scored the most lopsided victory over the Tigers in the Bruce Pearl era, winning 104-84 before a crowd of 18,864 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

"We needed that,'' Pearl said. "I thought the guys were physical, and I thought they were aggressive.

"This was important, because I think our guys had lost some confidence in themselves and what we do.''

UT, which had lost four of its past six games entering the contest, took out its frustrations on 21st-ranked Memphis early and often, charging out to a 25-point lead before coasting to a 49-34 halftime advantage.

The Vols (10-4) hit their first three 3-point shot attempts en route to a 12-of-21 shooting performance beyond the arc.

"We hunted our shots really well,'' said Pearl, whose team ranked last in the SEC in 3-point shooting percentage entering the game. "Melvin (Goins) started off with a bang, he stepped into his shot really well, and Scotty (Hopson) had some great shots.

"But I think the shots we took, they weren't 'huh' shots . . . they were shots you've seen us take before.''

Memphis (11-3) sagged back some, but with UT firing on all cylinders from outside, the Tigers reverted to their pressing ways.

"Memphis was in a Catch-22; they play better fast, but so do we,'' Pearl said. "I thought that our depth was a real factor tonight.''

The Vols bench out-scored Memphis 43-34, as Pearl trotted out a new 10-man rotation.

The starting lineup remained the same, while Trae Golden was the backup shooting guard, Josh Bone the backup wing, Jeronne Maymon the backup four and John Fields was at the five.

Tennessee led by as many as 36 points with just over five minutes left before clearing the bench with mass substitutions.

Tobias Harris led four UT players who scored in double figures with 17 points and had 13 rebounds, Hopson scored 16, Goins had 15 and Maymon had 10.

Will Coleman scored 17 points to lead the Tigers, Will Barton had 14 and Joe Jackson had 11.

Memphis opened the second half with a 5-0 run to close to 49-39 when Pearl called timeout at the 19:23 mark.

"I thought, OK, let's start this half over again,'' Pearl said. "Not a lot of yelling, not a lot of panicking.''

The Vols responded by going on a 26-4 run, erasing any doubts about the outcome when Hopson hit a trey with 11:23 left to make it 75-43.

Tennessee returns to action at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at Arkansas (10-3) in both teams' SEC opener. The Razorbacks are 9-1 at home this season.

It will be the first game of eight league contests that Pearl will be serving a suspension handed down by SEC commissioner Mike Slive in November.

"We're not going to get too excited about this (Memphis win),'' Pearl said. "We've got to keep it in perspective and understand what the intensity of that conference game will be like.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Related Links

cwbytruckers writes:

The team defense was back. The team offense was back. And yes the TEAM PRIDE was back. Go Big Orange.

WinkeyVol writes:

Awesome

SunshineVol writes:

Welcome back roundballers, we missed you!

Beware of Kentucky, the ESPN announcer said they play with a 6 & ½ man rotation… must have midget.

Tru138 writes:

Too good...just too good!

Titan writes:

StevefromMemphis - where are you? Here kitty, kitty.

OrangeBlur writes:

They should've tried calling Rommel.

rockytopnation16 writes:

Great to see the Vols back to normal

bigdisbig writes:

I hope this is a new beginning for this team. They should be undefeated right now and in the top 5 nationally.
This team has the potential to be great if they can learn to be consistent.

rockytop#413695 writes:

Where are the Memphis trolls? Kitties are hiding.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Where's all the Memphis, Arkansas mouth runners???

Go back to Arkansas!!!! You're not welcome in Tennessee!!!

hallmo11 writes:

That's what I'm talking about!
Vols, we've missed you. So glad you're back!

born2ride writes:

Hey folks do not get too excited. This was the MEMPHIS TIGERS.

It does not matter if Memphis is ranked #1 or #21 the Vols always win. Does not matter if it is football, basketball or tiddlywinks the Vols are better.

Knoxville is the state's flagship university while Memphis is a local commuter school. UT is a superior BCS national power while Memphis is stuck in lowly CUSA and can't compete with the big boys of the SEC.

Memphis had a few good years under Calipari and World Wide Wes when they were buying future NBA one and done players. But Cal pulled a Kiffin and ran off to Kentucky to cheat. Now Memphis is getting blown out and Pastner has yet to beat a good team.

FYI... Adonis Thomas was all set to commit to UT but the NCAA announced the Pearl scandal the weekend Adonis was on his visit to Knoxville. He even said on ESPN at his announcement this was a reason not to chose the Vols.

And I am hearing Billy Donovan will replace Pearl.

Go Vols!

KNOX05 writes:

Great win. Offense and Defense played as a team. First game I've seen in quite a while with S.Pearl getting so little PT.

givehim6 writes:

First UT BB game I saw on TV this season, gald I waited for this one.

SeanJean writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Memphis was pretty weak on D, but if you think they were weaker than UNC Charlotte or CoC you are smoking crack.

UTByrd writes:

Memphis showed their youth and UT showed wwhat they can do when they put their collective mind to it.
There was no standing around on offense for UT and the defense was much better.
I'm liking what I'm seeing from Maymon.

Go VOLS!!!!!

mercuryvol writes:

WTH is this? Schizophrenia in b-ball? Is MU that bad or what? I don't know a lot about b-ball and I'm glad to see UT win but I have NO clue of the mental state of this team and I don't think anybody else does either. Love to hear some insight on this if anybody has any.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to givehim6:

First UT BB game I saw on TV this season, gald I waited for this one.

I'm gald you did too!:)

BigVolFaninSC writes:

We just need to keep playing ranked teams! It seems the boys can't get up for the unranked ones! This team looked totally different tonight! GBO!

UTbassdrummer writes:

They always, always, always play to their opponents. It's so frustrating. But still... they looked better than top form tonight. And now it's a parade of opponents that should inspire our best effort. No more of what SHOULD BE easy nights.

Way to go, men.

And that windmill dunk.....oh my god....

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

We have to be nice here, but if this game had gone the other way, the Blue people would have said they weren't playing anybody.

So alas, I guess I'll have to echo that..........we really weren't playing anybody.

Seriously, they look like a pretty good team of the future, very quick and once we called off the dogs and let them shoot 3's, they actually looked okay. A couple of them look almost Cousins-like ( Coleman, in particular.) He's a technical waiting to happen.

The Vols have been through a lot lately, and came out tonight with a chip on their shoulders. And all without the students in attendance !

Great effort guys !

VOLKING writes:

Observations, for what it's worth. This team plays big in the big games, so, if we can make it to March, we should be okay. A sure sign of immaturity, youth and lack of a team leader is to play to your opponents' level. I watched Duke play a lesser opponent and they looked like a machine. Tennessee would have lost that game. Hopson will not be the leader, he is too immature. Harris is the most mature player on the team and he's a freshman. It will be an up and down ride this season. Next year, Harris will be our team leader and we should be even better, especially against teams we are supposed to beat. When we play TEAM offense, we look unstoppable. Memphis is a young, one dimensional team with no defense. They are high school all-stars and they want to play one-on-one basketball instead of team offense. I don't think their coach is very good. He's a good recruiter, but he should have coached at a lower level first. I am not a fan of what Coach Pearl did, but I am glad he made us relevant in basketball. I will support him while he is here...and may yet forgive him, but what he did is absolutely a fire-able offense. I think the NCAA is going to hit him hard. Our team is going to have to pull together through this and I hope they do. This team could be one to remember if they just get their minds right. P.S.- We own Memphis.

Orangeblood13 writes:

bricker your a dufus

and maybe we can get Jimmy Dykes to fill in for Pearl while he's gone, I mean he knows everything and anything about all basketball related. What has that guy ever done? Some one please tell me. What a loudmouth. Just shut up all ready and call the games

TopTenn writes:

We're back! GBO!

caleb573 writes:

Big, big win for the Vols. I'm sick and tired of hearing ESPN talk about the Pearl suspension...it's old news. Go luck Coach Jones and the Big Orange in Arkansas on Saturday!

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

Glad to see our guys back. When they play like that they can beat any team in the nation. Let's hope they can hold it together during Pearl's absence. GO VOLS!

stompintheswamp2 writes:

Way to play hard with a sense of urgency!! We have a great team when they play with effort. It will be interesting to see how this season ends.

cloudodust writes:

Grab a Bud Light cause 'Here we go'...

volfan73120#211815 writes:

Great win Vols. Now we can go after the Razorbacks.
Changing the subject briefly, check thk following quotes from Michigan State fans about the Citrus Bowl game against Alabama.

These are quotes from the MichiganState board about the Alabama game.

"Julio takin' us to schoolio

" why are they allowing Alabama to play with 35 players on defense?"

"I think their punter is currently drinking around the world in Epcot."

"If we played 10 times, they would win 15"

"We need much more to compete against a true BCS team. We need a couple of
CBs, safeties that can tackle, and a pass rush. That's just defense."

"If Cam Newton costs $200,000 for a season, how much is a 2nd half rental?"

"and now cousins is dead"

"If I was our QB i would hire an attorney and sue them for negligence or
intentional infliction of physical and emotional distress."

"I'm ready to accept MSU boosters paying for an offensive line. If we get
caught I can deal with it."

"This is getting out of hand...an Alabama d-lineman just popped out of my
TV and threw me 10 yards behind my couch."

"Can we just roll out a blowup doll for our QB? At least they won't be
surprised from behind."

"Do you think this is how Custer felt?"

"We're going to have a wing named after us at Orlando Regional Medical
Center by the time this game finishes." lol

"well we kept it under 50."

"We brought our band down to Orlando? I had no idea!"

"I want to know how many times in the history of organized football that
teams have punted on 4th and goal"

"SO THIS IS WHAT THEY MEAN BY TEAM SPEED"

"You know, I've never been sodomized, but I'd imagine it'd feel somewhat
like how I'm feeling right now watching this mess."

"if i'm Maxwell, I fake an injury on the way to the huddle"

I can't believe Saban let the 4th stringers play for a quarter and half and
didn't put in the 5th string.

cloudodust writes:

Seriously, some players gotta get use to more bench time that they saw during the losses. That's life in the big city. CBP, you play to win here on in...

schymtz writes:

Nice.
Personally, I hope Pearl and the team survive and thrive. GBO!
Nothing cleans up a board like a blowout.

esarmstrong#231516 writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

bricker your a dufus

No, tonight the dufus is born2ride. What in the He11 was he taking when he went on that stream-of- consciousness diatribe about God knows what that ended with the prediction the Billy Donovan is on his way to Knoxville to coach?! He needs to get a grip and start breathing more while he's typing!

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to volfan73120#211815:

Great win Vols. Now we can go after the Razorbacks.

These are quotes from the MichiganState board about the Alabama game.

"Julio takin' us to schoolio

" why are they allowing Alabama to play with 35 players on defense?"

"I think their punter is currently drinking around the world in Epcot."

"If we played 10 times, they would win 15"

"We need much more to compete against a true BCS team. We need a couple of
CBs, safeties that can tackle, and a pass rush. That's just defense."

"If Cam Newton costs $200,000 for a season, how much is a 2nd half rental?"

"and now cousins is dead"

"If I was our QB i would hire an attorney and sue them for negligence or
intentional infliction of physical and emotional distress."

"I'm ready to accept MSU boosters paying for an offensive line. If we get
caught I can deal with it."

"This is getting out of hand...an Alabama d-lineman just popped out of my
TV and threw me 10 yards behind my couch."

"Can we just roll out a blowup doll for our QB? At least they won't be
surprised from behind."

"Do you think this is how Custer felt?"

"We're going to have a wing named after us at Orlando Regional Medical
Center by the time this game finishes." lol

"well we kept it under 50."

"We brought our band down to Orlando? I had no idea!"

"I want to know how many times in the history of organized football that
teams have punted on 4th and goal"

"SO THIS IS WHAT THEY MEAN BY TEAM SPEED"

"You know, I've never been sodomized, but I'd imagine it'd feel somewhat
like how I'm feeling right now watching this mess."

"if i'm Maxwell, I fake an injury on the way to the huddle"

I can't believe Saban let the 4th stringers play for a quarter and half and
didn't put in the 5th string.

and what does this have to do about anything?

cloudodust writes:

in response to BigVolFaninSC:

From here on out, they're all ranked. GBO

bookman58 writes:

I am a Memphis fan who was really not surprised at what happened tonight. Whatever you guys say about Memphis tonight I have no response. I watched the Pitt game and thought UT was one of the best teams in the country then the losses. Tonight Tennessee played up to it's potential. Memphis played like you would expect them to play against a good, well coached team. We have some exceptional athletes who at this point show few signs of being coached to the point of playing with discipline. We got the snot beat out of us. When I watch the Tigers play I want to see them win or at least play a good game. Tonight was just ugly. I know the SEC and C-USA are not in the same league but the days of Memphis dominating are over and will be until Pastner develops into a good coach. I hope that happens. Enjoy your win. There should be many more.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to esarmstrong#231516:

you are correct, my bad lol

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

bricker your a dufus

Orangeblood,

You are 100% correct my friend. ESPN, and Dykes in particular, milked this news for all they can...........
the entire game. It's almost like noone knows about it before tonight and they beat the dead horse to death.
This has been a pattern for quite a long time with ESPN and the Vols. True, we've done some things that weren't exactly the way to do things, but this media thing loves to sensationalize everything they can.

fpcoach writes:

Eddie Munster will not be the Vol BB coach. lol
Always fun to beat the kitties. Now lets get ready for the piggies.....GBO

Bigger_Al writes:

Is it Tiger High? Or Memphis State?

Regardless, it's good to get 100+ on anybody.

xvolx writes:

Best officiated game I've ever seen.

Bigger_Al writes:

Anybody on here doesn't think Calipari lied to the NCAA every chance he ever got?

Vol_n_tear writes:

in response to born2ride:

Hey folks do not get too excited. This was the MEMPHIS TIGERS.

And I am hearing Billy Donovan will replace Pearl.

Go Vols!

If the comments about Cal came from someone else, I would not have bothered to reply. But they came from a Vol'n'tear guy, of all people! Your coach is a proven cheater and a self-admitted liar, and you dare talk about Cal? Wait until the NCAA lowers the hammer on him and your sorry program. I came here to offer my congratulations to an SEC team but to heck with UT and its obnoxious fans! Your coach is suspended from games for crying out loud (he will be in detention LOL) and you have the nerves to talk about a superior coach who has done great things the right way? If you think otherwise bring on your proof or shut up. What an idiot!

volfan73120#211815 writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

and what does this have to do about anything?

Orangeblood, I was just trying to spread a little humor. I'm sorry if it was offensive to you.

Vol_n_tear writes:

Courtesy KSR:

Before he put his great leadership on display, Pearl conducted a strange, but tear-free interview with Jimmy Dykes in which he declined to say why he should remain as Tennessee’s head coach (he’s saving it for the infractions committee) and said, “My faith in God has never been stronger and my faith in man has never been weaker.” He forgot to add “and my team’s non-conference performance has never been more pathetic.

After the game, his wife updated her Facebook to compare her husband to Joshua. Then, Mike Slive banished him from Thompson-Boling like it was the Garden of Eden.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Vol_n_tear:

You really made that one too easy. Calipari is the only coach in NCAA history to have not one but TWO Final Fours vacated. That's enough proof for me.

The only difference between Cal and Pearl is that Cal has more middle men and is better at not getting caught. Pearl was just a dummy in this case and that is readily evident and he is paying for it. Calipari is slimier and everybody with any brains knows it. I watched him down here for 9 years and there is no question about that.

Vol_n_tear writes:

in response to UofTNFan:

LOL you are losing it or are you hurt since losing your last tooth last night?

Vol_n_tear writes:

Bye Bye Bruce, errrr Joshua!

bookman58 writes:

in response to UofTNFan:

You can go back and check my posts and I try to always treat UT with respect. Right now I am laying in bed trying to recover from total knee replacement surgery. I am only 52 and this is my second knee. It only takes a few life events to put sports in its proper prospective. I think rivalries are great and a little trash talk has its place too, but for me sports is fun, but it is not my life. I have always been treated well on this board and when Tennessee plays anyone but Memphis I am pulling for them. The Memphis area is my home and for that reason I choose to love it warts and all. UT is a great University that is the flagship school for the State, but the University of Memphis is a good regional school. My daughter went there and has an excellent job. Schools can be different, but still have their purpose. The Knoxville airport cannot compare to Atlanta, but to me it is the best regional airport I have ever flown through. It's a real jewel. Atlanta is in a different class than Knoxville, but Knoxville's airport does what it does almost to perfection. Enjoy the win. The SEC will be a tough series of games. I am just trying to make it through another day.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to Vol_n_tear:

Let's see...proof...two final fours, both vacated. There is this saying about "where there's smoke, there's fire"...And this is more than smoke.

And doing things the right way??? Ha!! Only a partisan would deny that stealing the entire recruiting class of your previous team (Memphis) is moral. Take off your tinted glasses.

mercuryvol writes:

Bookman-good luck with your recovery and Godspeed. Thanks for your decent comments.Most of the outside fans on here are truly worthless in their comments and we're stupid enough to answer them but it's nice to have a few posters with an outside viewpoint. Come back any time.