Lady Vols rout Alabama, 110-45

Tennessee's Angie Bjorklund passes the ball away as Alabama's Jasmine Robinson, left, and Alicia Mitcham close in.

Photo by Saul Young

Angie Bjorklund made up for lost scoring time Thursday night.

So did Taber Spani.

Tennessee followed their lead and scored seemingly all the time in a 110-45 SEC women’s basketball rout of Alabama before a crowd of 12,897 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

UT’s points were its most since scoring 136 against Puerto Rico Mayaguez on Nov. 29, 2002 and its most in SEC play since getting 119 against Ole Miss on Feb. 8, 2001.

“Really anyone who went in the game did great things,’’ Spani said. “I think that really boosts everyone’s confidence.”

Tennessee’s Glory Johnson eventually soared past her teammates for a game-high 19 points

Bjorklund and Spani, who combined for zero points at LSU on Sunday, collaborated on 31 against the Crimson Tide. Bjorklund scored all of her 16 points in the first half for No. 5 Tennessee (14-2, 2-0 SEC), which won its 37th in a row against the Crimson Tide. Spani had 15, as did point guard Meighan Simmons, who also recorded a Lady Vols’ freshman record 11 assists.

Tierney Jenkins, who came into the game leading the nation in double-doubles with 11, scored 10 points for Alabama (11-4, 0-2) but fouled out with 8:18 left having gathered seven rebounds. Jenkins shot 5-for-20 from the floor, which reflected the Crimson Tide’s chilly 19.5 percent field goal shooting (16 for 82).

The Lady Vols made a point to take care of prevention, too.

“It was like one of those songs, ‘Mama said there will be days like this,’ ’’ Alabama coach Wendell Hudson said.

Bjorklund was a different scorer because she was a different shooter. She made all five of her field goal attempts (four 3 pointers) and two free throws.

“Perhaps she learned a lesson,’’ UT coach Pat Summitt said.

If so, it was to put in some extra time sharpening her release.

“Practice is what gets it done,’’ Bjorklund said.

The Lady Vols made 10 of their first 15 shots in bolting to a 24-3 lead. Alabama, meanwhile, was shooting 1 for 12 with leading scorer Jenkins off to a 0-for-4 start.

Alabama eventually mustered a semblance of a scoring response but three baskets weren’t nearly enough. Even worse, they inspired Tennessee to find a second scoring wind.

The Lady Vols kept their field goal shooting percentage above 60 percent for the majority of the first half in adding to their lead.

Summitt went deep into her bench before the break and reserve guard Briana Bass nailed a 3-pointer for her first basket since Dec. 1 against Lamar.

In the end, 11 Lady Vols played at least 12 minutes. Vicki Baugh (knee) and Alyssia Brewer (Achilles tendon) were held out of the game.

Shekinna Stricklen tumbled to the court early in the second half and eventually returned to the bench with an ice bag on her right elbow. Summitt said that the junior forward should be fine.

Alicia Manning scored all 11 of her points in the second half, becoming the Lady Vols’ fifth double-figure scorer.

Kamiko Williams, a 5-11 guard, had a stat line befitting a center with a game-high nine rebounds and four blocks.

Things went so well for Tennessee that Johnson covered for her errant inbounds pass in the second half with a resounding block of Jenkins’ shot.

“That block was awesome,’’ Spani said.

It was that kind of night.

Dan Fleser covers Lady Vols basketball. He may be reached at 865-342-6288. Follow him at http://twitter.com/fleserKNS and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/fleser/.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Shen24 will be sending in his complete report to describe how the Tide dominated in the game. The Lady Vols struggled and the best they could do was eke out a 110 - 45 cliff hanger. They'll get back in the gym and try to work out the problems.........

Seriously, great team effort tonight girls and just keep on improving and moving forward !

..........right Shen?

SummittsCourt writes:

This is without Vickie Baugh and Alyssia Brewer playing. UT won by more points (65) then LSU scored tonight in their loss to SC (61). WOW

Red_68 writes:

Glory Johnson has been instrumental in this past week, keep up the good work. Glory has the potential and altheticism to shut down maya moore. And we will need her come March...she is long and can LEAP.. GLV!

ctownvol writes:

As my friend TJ said..."An azz whuppin of epic proportion"

tnsportsman writes:

wigmeister writes:

Hopefully the intensity will last through the national championship game. Because, if they play like they have the last couple of games, they should get there.

ps11824 writes:

[[tnsportsman writes:
in response to orangecountyvols:]]

Please, this is not the venue for that kind of stuff. I really don't care much for Alabama, but there's no need to be nasty. This is about the Lady Vols putting a solid game together against an SEC foe. That's all.

wazzya69vol writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

That is great follow-up to orangecountyvols; I'm lovin it! Shen24 will come on here and say we can never beat their "real" men; to that, I reply, we just did! GBO!!

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

Some reason, CPS, I don't think Angie had a 'lesson learned'. Pretty obvious Bama sucks, and LSU does not.

This win doesn't mean squat. The LSU win?? Looks pretty darn good.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to ps11824:

[[tnsportsman writes:
in response to orangecountyvols:]]

Got a theory on that, 98...
East TN fans tend to be more like Northern fans: they could care less about 'conference', and hate all rivals.
Mid Tn fans tend to be more Southern, and while they are UT-first, they also pull for the conference to be good.

Well, it's my theory, any way.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

I said this last season, and again this season: the key to any NC opp is Glory Jonson and, to some extent, Strick. Those 2 play in the swing position, and have the best chance of scoring and shutting down players like Maya Moore or the Stanford girls.

We also know that more likely than not, Griner will be back in our path...so anything Glory and Strick can do to polish their drive-and-score game, the better.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to ps11824:

[[tnsportsman writes:
in response to orangecountyvols:]]

98reax,

You saw the part about "seriously" didn't you?
You must not have been reading the smart a** comments we've had to endure from this Shen individual........
and they got pretty routine IMO.

So you might want to think again about calling well
phrased comments here as nasty.

Moving right along........Great job Lady Vols and let's get Brewer and Baugh 100% healthy, then it's scary how good the team will be.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

I wish someone would listen to me.....I told you this team was special...Either this year or next we will win it all...We learned a big lesson at Baylor....This team is learning to stay hungry. By the way, we could start our 6-12 players and beat almost everyone in the country.....Stay tuned.....

nola_vol writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that "tnsportsman" is short for "Tennessee Sportsmanship Award Hall of Fame."

But that's just a guess...

Jephry writes:

I barely was able to keep up with the game via the live blog (Brian is AWESOME, btw), but I'm really glad the girls put together another good game. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

volboy81 writes:

Great game!
I think we could have beaten them playing 3 on 5!
Lets rip Ole Mrs. on Sunday!!!
GO LADY VOLS!!

NashvillePreds writes:

Rammer jammer.. or whatever it is

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

well, to be blunt:
women's basketball is about 2 different 'leagues'

there are the top 10 programs, and everyone else. you rarely (never??) see a real cinderella run in the women's game. so, yeah, our 6-12 (who are for all intents and purposes able to stat) would be better then any 'non' top 10 team.

I agree we have the pieces, tho, and with good fortune, decent reffing, and smart play can win it all. Same can be said for UConn, Stanfor, and Baylor.

ps11824 writes:

tnsportsman, words like hoe and she wussie and ugly women have no place here, do they?.

ACWLY writes:

Where's the Big Bad SHEN24 now, must have had to use the "TIDEY BOWL for a TIDEY ROLL", man I've never seen a whuppin like that!

ps11824 writes:

We tend to jump on our team harshly when they lose, then jump way ahead of the game when they win, but last night's game was certainly the way you would like to see them maintain in every contest. It is important to keep the flow of the game going regardless of the changing rotation. That's a sign of improvement for sure. More importantly, they were able to keep up their defensive intensity as well as the scoring. That's using depth in a positive way. How will that play out against Kentucky, Arkansas, Vandy and Andy? That scenario is yet to be seen. If indeed they can score and defend across the bench as they did last night, we have something special to look forward to.

tnsportsman, forgive me for being critical? I just despise those words. I'm just saying... hopefully, most comments on this forum come from Lady Vols fans. We don't want to be called any of those.

The only reason I have an aversion to anything Alabama is because so many of my friends and family are bama fans (of course they all live in Tennessee, go figure) and they are somewhat arrogant about it. So I am defensive when it comes to anything crimson. But I would stop short of belittling the women's basketball team. We've 'turned the tide' on them for, what, 38 games? We don't need arrogance.

in response to ACWLY:

Most Bama fans don't care at all about women's basketball and never have, or indeed ANY sports except for football. Shen and his ilk probably don't even know there WAS a women's basketball game last night!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

I'm really proud of the way the girls played and especially Glory Johnson..............hustling and playing 100%. She also looked really good at the line.

While the Lady Vols had a 50 point lead, or whatever it was, Pat was still in the face of Williams . Some would criticize her for that but you know what, the things she does seems to work. We don't really know how things go behind the scene, practices etc. I'd still prefer her coaching expertise over someone who might have less ability and technique.

mytrifecta writes:

37 in a row! Suck it Alabama football program! We own your school in womens basketball.

ps11824 writes:

orangecountyvols writes:
Vols,

There well may be nights when things don't go as well but with this kind of effort, they'll be hard to beat.]]

If you heard the post game show last night, Mickey Dearstone asked Coach about getting in Williams' face... Pat's response was just as you said. If it works why should I not... Something to that effect. Please note, I'm not saying that's a direct quote. I do not recall her exact words, but you know what I mean?

Folks have been dissin' Pat for getting on Kamiko frequently. For that reason, I was glad Mickey ask the question. And I was glad Pat did not skirt the issue. She rarely does.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to ps11824:

orangecountyvols writes:
Vols,

98...I get the distinct impression Kamiko lacks mental toughness. You will either learn that form Pat, or transfer.

I love Kamiko's potential, but until that head is CLEARLY in the game, and that BUTT is moving ALL the time, she's going to be roasted.

In a shorter version: Pat wants to be able to simply watch Kamiko play, and can't..yet.

Share your thoughts