A new routine: Vols adjusting to game days without Bruce Pearl

Tennessee assistant coach Tony Jones, center, restrains head coach Bruce Pearl, left, after UT was charged with a technical foul last season, while assistant Steve Forbes glares at the officials.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Pearl's plan for Saturday, his first SEC game suspension

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl took a long look around Bud Walton Arena following the Vols' shoot-around session Friday night.

"This is harder than I thought it would be,'' Pearl said. "I don't have any impassioned speech for the guys. I want to keep things as normal as possible. I haven't even brought it up.''

The "it" to which Pearl refers is the eight-game SEC suspension he will begin serving while the Vols (10-4) play Arkansas (10-3) today (TV: WVLT, 1:30 p.m.).

SEC commissioner Mike Slive imposed the penalty in November after reviewing the facts surrounding the ongoing NCAA investigation into the Tennessee men's basketball program.

UT athletic director Mike Hamilton was at the shootaround Friday and clarified how stringent the enforcement of the suspension will be.

"There will be no direct nor indirect contact in team-related activities on the day of the game,'' Hamilton said. "Coach will watch the game in the (hotel) banquet room.''

The team bus will pick up Pearl at the team hotel en route to the airport after the Vols' game with the Razorbacks is finished.

UT senior center Brian Williams said the players haven't had any team meetings or even discussed Pearl's pending courtside absence as being an issue.

"It hasn't really dawned on us, and I don't think it will until game time,'' Williams said. "Individually, we have to step up and follow whatever Coach (Tony) Jones tells us.

"Coach Jones is calm, cool and collected.''

Jones, the Vols' associate head coach and a 10-year assistant to Pearl, has said the game plan won't be any different, and the idea is to keep things business as usual.

Arkansas, however, has a way of making that difficult on opponents, especially in Bud Walton Arena, where the Razorbacks are 9-0 this season.

"Their game is really suited for them to be a great home team,'' Pearl said. "They shoot good at home, they block shots, they run and they are super dunkers.

"They get tremendous fuel from those things, and those energy plays can make this a loud place to play.''

Pearl said Arkansas prefers to play aggressive man-to-man defense and "disrupt you and force turnovers,'' but he said there's a possibility the Razorbacks could play some zone.

"It's possible, and if they do it will be because of their scout that we're not a good 3-point team, but zone is not their M.O.,'' Pearl said. "Memphis tried to play some zone on us, and we shot them out of it. We'll see.''

Pearl will see while watching the game from the team hotel with his wife, Brandy, and UT associate athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois.

"I'll be taking notes every possession,'' Pearl said. "But after (Thursday) night, I'll get up (today) and begin work on Florida (Tuesday's opponent). There's really nothing more I can do.''

RPI Talk: The Vols' current RPI is 21, according to RealTimeRpi.com, and their schedule strength is ranked No. 7 in the nation.

While playing Arkansas (RPI 142) isn't likely to provide much of a boost today, UT's next two games (9 p.m. Tuesday vs. Florida and noon Saturday vs. Vanderbilt, both in Knoxville) will help the Vols' RPI.

The Gators' current RPI is 15 and the Commodores' is 16.

Lights Please: When the Vols arrived for their walk-through at Bud Walton Arena, the court was not well-lighted.

The first explanation a UT representative received was that they don't turn the game lights on until the game, and that Arkansas regularly practiced in similar lighting.

Vols director of basketball operations Ken Johnson persisted and found someoneto turn on the game lighting.

Jones' Attire: Jones has received numerous suggestions as to what to wear for the game, but insists he'll keep his outfit toned down.

"Of course there will be some orange,'' said Jones, who was ranked in the so-called "Fashionable Four" of best-dressed coaches by collegeinsider.com. "It will be a little different, but not too much.''

While an assistant to Pearl at Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Jones once wore a yellow suit in a televised game.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Bubbanuts2010 writes:

UT's Defense will be, well who know's right? Hope they play good enough to win!!

wazzya69vol writes:

The good news is that we're gonna get this process started, so it becomes old news. Seems like we've been talking about this forever. Now it's time to separate the men from the boys. I think we're gonna be men, at least I hope so! But the time is near,,,GBO!!

stompintheswamp2 writes:

The guys have to want to win, want to play hard, want to work hard, etc. no matter which coach is on the sideline. We win when we play hard. We lose when we don't. It's up to the players.

cwbytruckers writes:

I never knew a dead horse could be ridden so many times.

wazzya69vol writes:

in response to cwbytruckers:

I never knew a dead horse could be ridden so many times.

EXACTLY!!!!!! GBO!!

CockeCountyNative writes:

Can't wait for the commentary on the pre game show. Only the messenger will be different. I think I'll turn on Buckeye Bob and Bert and mute the TV.

eb502us#225637 writes:

They're making Pearl watch it from the banquet room of the hotel? What, is he going to be sitting in a dining chair next to his guardian. Never seen any banquest room with sofa's and a big screen.

If I'm Pearl, I'm upstairs in bed with my wife dressed in pj's watching the game as room service is being served. At least then he could get a little half time action. Let the guardian stand outside the door.

If not, I'm hoping at least it's open bar where he is in case things go bad.

Greyfeathers writes:

I feel so sorry for lyin' Bruce... Oh the pain of it all... LOL

tan007 writes:

I think this whole thing has been blown all out of proportion. The TV broadcasters have beat it to death, I may mute my TV & just watch the game.
The players are the ones we should be thinking of & supporting right now & that is exactly what I am doing. Good luck Vols and Tony Jones! Bring back a win!

volaboard writes:

I know this post is out of place, and I am over the UNC game. But, last night in the Cotton Bowl LSU was penalized 15 yards for having 12 men on the field during a punt return. Why was it only a 5 yard penalty when UNC had 17 on the field? Just curious.

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

NO WONDER YOU HAVE THE NAME LAZYBONES!!!! IT SHOULD BE NOSEYBONES. WHY DON'T YOU AND SOME OF THESE GOOD FOR NOTHING PEOPLE TALK ABOUT WHAT SOME OF THESE OTHER TRUTHFUL COACHES HAVE GOT AWAY WITH...A SLAP ON THE HAND....AND DON'T BE A CROOK LIKE THAT ANYMORE BABY.

allntl1#565211 writes:

UT should get to pick which games to serve their penalty. Let us serve it on the smaller games but not the big ones. Go Buckeyes.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

If anyone finds an online live video feed of the game, let me know. I've been looking all over...

Go Vols!!

swingman4 writes:

Espn3.com should have it...........

rockytopatl writes:

in response to swingman4:

Espn3.com should have it...........

The game is on Peachtree TV down here -- the new incarnation of Ted Turner's Channel 17.

You guys need to chill on the continued media interest. The media concentrate on the unusual. How many times can you ever remember a head coach being suspended? We need to man up and take our medicine. We will hear it constantly during all eight SEC games. And I fear the medicine will taste even worse after the next doctor prescribes.

All that said, I say the Vols use Pearl's absense today as a big-time motivator. Tennessee wins by seven. Tony Jones goes 1-0 career-wise. GBO!

rockytopatl writes:

in response to volaboard:

Agreed, volaboard. Of all the bad calls and questionable decisions, the Big Turd crew missing that one was the biggest, in my opinion. Should have been a 15 yarder for illegal participation instead of 5 for illegal substitution. And considering the time spent on reviewing the play, you would think somebody would have counted the players. My UNC friend insists their kicker would have made a 49-yarder, but I doubt it.

NYvolFan writes:

Pearl says he wants this to be about the PLAYERS, not him. Well...then what the heck is he doing on ESPN College Gameday making it (again!) all about HIM? I'm really tired of seeing him on TV crying constantly about him being a liar. Like the post above noted, the Gameday panel just ripped UT bad. Why can't Pearl just SHUT-UP? How can he feel he hasn't said enough...or that his constant media spotlight as an admitted liar is good for UT?

VOLDoll writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

Pearl only cares about Pearl and I cannot wait until his cheating, non coaching arse is gone from Knoxville.
If the shoe were reversed and this was going on at Memphis, every UT fan on here would be ripping them. But because it's happening here everyone wants to turn their heads and act like CBP has done nothing wrong. Truth of the matter is that Pearl lost all control of his program and he and his team have done nothing but humiliate this fine institution and the city of Knoxville.
Quit feeling sorry for him. He knew the rules and he chose to break them and then lie about it. And when everything comes out most of you will shake your head and ask why Hamilton chose to keep him on.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to NYvolFan:

The media is stalking him. He's trying to not make it worse by giving them shots of him shooing them away. I'm sure he'd love to NOT have this kind of attention.

ATLVOL55 writes:

The trolls and pretend Vol fans are in full force this morning.

This is the MOST OVERBLOWN story of all time. No illegal money, no test taking, no grade fixing. Other fans are jealous of Pearl's success at Tennessee and most of the announcers still carry an ax to grind because of the whole Iowa situation.

Particularly Dick Vitale. I used to like Vitale, but he is an absolute clown. He sticks up for guys like Calipari and Valvano because they are his fellow Italian pizones (sorry I'm quit sorry I totally butchered the spelling). Those guys are two of the biggest cheaters in the history of college basketball.

Also, when I heard Vitale was giving autographed books of himself to kids on Halloween, I knew this man had become an ego manaic.

Go Vols! Go Pearl!

Katphan29 writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Well, I would disagree with your last sentence - I think it will have to do with success on the floor, in the way of recruiting.

As a Ky fan I've been ripped for saying UT is making a mistake for keeping Pearl. Frankly, I don't think Pearl is any more crooked than any other basketball coach. Honestly, I think they all do it. So, I have no qualms with him morally.

I just think the press is going to continue to hound him - after all, other coaches doing the same have been fired (Kelvin Sampson). They won't let it go. Then I think you have the NCAA that will just have to show they are tough guys.

All of this will just have a compounding, debilitating effect on recruiting, I believe. Who knows...maybe Pearl can weather the storm, and the UT administration seems to be very supportive.

But don't look to the press for any support - its a news story for them. There will be more of this....all year, and that's one of my points about a compounding effect.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Now boys if ya want to read a post by someone who has NOT a clue, here it is...Silly is the word that comes to mind...Oh by the way, be really CAREFUL how you rip UT here...because in all likelihood your team will be next if percentages play out...and they will....

tennrich1 writes:

Oh by the way if this had been...oh let's say Buzz Peterson, maybe Jerry Greene....DO YOU REALLY THINK ANYONE WOULD CARE?..OF COURSE NOT....CBP and come to town and ripped their teams apart....of course they want him gone!!!!

tenndave writes:

Here is a novel idea. Sell tickets to watch the game with Bruce. Give the money to a charity and let coach interact with the fans after the game not during. Use a big screen. Let him do a pep session before the game and then he moves to his seat, seperated from the fans but in the same room. Do a commentary interview as if he was at the game afterwards. This could be a cool situation even if we lost. We could support Bruce.

tenndave writes:

in response to Katphan29:

Part of this is the corruption of the system nationwide. I still contend that if our team had not made the final 8 last year this wouldn't have come out as much. I also think there is an effort to make sure it hurts us as much as possible so that we maybe won't be a threat to the big boys in college ball and by making it big it let's other coaches fly under the radar for a while. Pearl was wrong. We can't change that. But his punishment seems far out of line to what I have seen other prgrams get for violations much more severe. The BBQ was not major of the players attending after being informed it was illegal would also be punished. Pearl denied it then confessed. Now let's cruicfy him before he becomes too dominant.

vol75 writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

What if the NCAA just sent a questionnaire every year to every D1 coach that asked if they had committed any NCAA infractions during the year? If they answer "no" untruthfully, then "hang 'em high." That way everyone has to play by the same rules when they get caught.

Katphan29 writes:

in response to tenndave:

You think there is an effort to punish UT so UT won't be a threat to other programs? I don't know. The NCAA confuses me. They let Cam Newton play, but take Kanter away from Ky. So they certainly aren't punishing UT for UK's benefit.

Frankly, a strong UT program helps UK, I think. The SEC needs to be tougher.

BubbaJ writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

You know what is more embarrassing? A 5 win Wade Houston team and Buzzball! Having a program where attendance at times might be 10,000 in Thompson Boling. Actually having fans told they could move down to the lower seats at half time.

I for one don't know many Tennessee basketball fans that say they are embarrassed by all this.
Most hate that it happened, but realize it goes on throughout NCAA sports, and Bruce got caught.
Most do wish he would have come clean during NCAA questioning though.

I like most all fans I know, hope this all passes, and expect the program to survive. In addition, the best thing for UT Hoops is for Bruce Pearl to remain as coach.

Good luck to Tony Jones!

NYvolFan writes:

in response to tenndave:

Funny...and I also like the idea posted here a few weeks ago that for the 1st home game against the Gators on national TV that everyone in the Tommy Bowl wear a Bruce Pearl mask.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to tennrich1:

You just made my point! He wins a few high profile games and who cares about how this looks on the university?
Like I have said, it's the people who have no direct association with the university that are one here taking up for the bum.
The people that really care about UT want his arse out of here now.
Have a great weekend!

samvol writes:

I don't feel a bit sorry for his lying a**. he ratted out another coach, put himself on a pedestal and then had the nerve to violate not once but twice at two different schools.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to Katphan29:

Frankly, a strong UT program helps UK, I think. The SEC needs to be tougher.

Katphan, most of the UT fans on here have never been to a UT game so they would have no clue what is going on IN COLLEGE ATHLETICS.
They dont understand that the stronger the conference the better it is for each and every program. Again, most of them have never been to Knoxville let alone attend the U of T.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Oh lord, every game UT loses is because of the officials. LOL! What a damn geek.

collegegrad writes:

It's time that UT stood up and fired Pearl. These violations probably will blacklist him from getting another coaching position at another University, but he did it to himself. So, his career would be over, but he could start a new one. Let's see, he could become a grill cook at a local McDonald's, Burger King, or other fast food outlet, dishwasher, grill cook, or busser, for any local casual dine-in restaurants, door greeter, stock person, or sales clerk for Wal-Mart, bagger, stock person, or grocery clerk for Ingle's, Food City, or Kroger, assembly line associate for a factory, stock person for a warehouse, luggage expeditor (bellhop) for a Holiday Inn, custodial engineer (janitor) for a hospital, school, or government buildings (city-county), sanitation specialist (garbage man) for the landfill/dump, used car sales man, digging ditches, or picking up garbage along the highway. He has new career choices awaiting him!

rdrgtr writes:

Bruce was blind-sided by the ncaa and did not answer the questions honestly. He did come clean on his own account. All UT fans are asking is please let the punishment fit the crime. I am very proud of UT for standing their ground to keep CBP. The ncaa can rip TN to pieces but it should not be any of their business if we want to keep him. This will blow over and things will return to normal because there is nothing more to this story. On the other hand, I cannot wait for Mr. Newton to break down and start digging up mason jars in the backyard in the middle of the night. It is easy to get rid of hamburgers and hotdogs but very hard totally hide large sums of cold hard cash...

VOLDoll writes:

in response to Plasticman:

I truly hope you are not a grad of UT!
If you are please tell me why you would care more about a coach than the integrity of the university. You're infatuation with Pearl is down right scary. You are either a relative of his or another poster pretending to be a UT grad.

Katphan29 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Well....sounds like UT fans and UK fans have more in common than I thought. Ha.

I do think UT will be a strong team this year, and I find one thing very interesting. Let's say your assistant coach wins most of the games in Pearls absence. I think that is plausible, and I think UT can start out the gate at 3-0.

Pearl comes back and they play Ky. Probably a loss. If so.....and about that time NCAA sanctions come down, it could be a factor in pushing Pearl out and hiring your assistant.

Complete speculation, I just think it is eerily similar to the situation that brought in Phil Fulmer.

Anyway, hopefully the SEC East will be decent this year, because the west just $ucks. Just pathetic, brings the whole conference down.

And by the way....this assistant you all have looks pretty good, and has the credentials. It will be interesting for BP if this assistant does as well as I personally think he will.

razin55 writes:

why is McBee playin'? He's missed his 2 3's badly and looks like a 60's hippy with his shaggy cut. I guess Brandy likes that look

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to razin55:

I don't know Brandy...He does look like a Hippie tho' and there are a few clutzes out there on both teams...frantic defense does that I suppose.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Long as we have a 10-12 man rotation, we will not win many games. We are doing it again today. If we stick with 8 man rotation, we win by double digits. Today's game will be a 3 point win by either team.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

we suck, I think tony jones is the problem, cause the same stuff from when we lost all those games is happenin

mocsandvolsfan writes:

We lost on defense today, not so much the rotation...a bit maybe. I think he should have left Pearl in who had one of the few good defensive moves. Gonna be a tough stretch.

volfan1985 writes:

why is our defense so bad?

HtownVol writes:

Steven Pearl made one Great play today but his 3 or 4 bad plays cancles that.
WHY is SP in the game when we are down 9 with 4 to go?
I am starting to not like the decisions being made this year.
Vs UM we ran a wide open Offense (no swing the ball for 25 seconds) and we dominated. Yet today we swing the ball for 25 seconds on 90% of our possesions and we were booty!
UT has WAY TOO MANY talanted players to not take advantage of their athletes and slowing the game is not how to do it. It has nothing to do with who we play. Yes, they can slow the game but they dont cause us to pass the ball 45 feet from the basket until 10 to go on the shot clock.
Also, Tobias scores 6 quick points at the end of the game and then sits for a few minutes. Tony Jones has always sat the hot player. I would love to hear why he does that. It is not because they are tired. A player who is tired with 5 to go in a tight game is a player that I dont want on my team.
All the horrible coaching today plus the players getting blown by on about 15 layups and then fouling when AR has a sure dunk is making it impossible to win games.
I didnt understand why we lost to bad teams but now I get it..
When we try to slow the game and swing the ball for far too long we lose confidence and the players dont play the game as it naturally comes to them.
I am no coach, so some will disagree but I think if we look to score faster in the shot clock we will win more games. We are as deep as any team in the country..WHY do we not run until other teams cant run with our depth??

The UT coaches have got to sit back and look at the differences from the UM game to the games vs garbage teams who outcoach UT.

I am thankful for Bruce but something is causing him to lose his talent to outcoach everyone. UT won 33 games with half of the talent we have now. Chric Lofton helped but I know that Bruce was making better coaching decisions then.

Come on Bruce, get your team and act together or I fear you will lose (a little) support from the ones who matter. Winning solves everything but these past 3 weeks we have seen 4 losses to teams that would have been a lock "W" 2 months ago.

BubbaJ writes:

in response to Katphan29:

Well....sounds like UT fans and UK fans have more in common than I thought. Ha.

Trying to make an analogy between Majors/Fulmer and Pearl/Jones is crazy. The two situations are totally different.

Majors circumstances were related to broken relationships with certain individuals within the university, failures in certain games, and lastly his health. None of this relates to what is going on at this point with Tennessee Basketball.

All things point to Bruce Pearl staying at Tennessee.

HtownVol writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

SP's one good play was a great one but did you see him get knocked to the ground a few times by very litle contact?

I support SP playing (only in a role) and his role is not to be on the court when we need a comeback with under 5 to go.

Not knocking P, but in that situation McRae is a better option due to his ability to score.

SP DID NOT lose this game though. Horrible fouls, getting beat badly on drives and bad substitutions by T Jones is why we lost this game. It will not get better guys. FU and Vandy could well deliver the KO punch to this team. 0-3 start in the SEC will be too much to overcome. Now, we are very capable of winning 12 SEC games but the whole attitude has to be where it was on WED for the rest of the year and UT cant even keep that together for 2 straight games.

We need a miracle.

HtownVol writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Wow, you are on here yet again.

Do you ever look at your life as a sad one?

If I ever visited a Vandy site I sure wouldnt comment, much less EVERY day, 10-20 times per day.

Oh wait, you have your dream life where you attended Vandy and have a great job in which you are far too important to be on a UT site every day.

I am sure you are happy in that dream with your wife and family who you enjoy spending time with and do not have time to be on a UT site every day.

And dont say anything about me. Go find a day when I have made more than 4-5 comments in one day or a week when I was on this site more than 3-4 times in a week.

I live in Houston and Sport UT on my truck and Mustang and I love UT but even I cant be on this site 10% of the time you spend on here.

Anyway, if you would be mature and have normal discussions on here we may respect your thoughts. So if you grow up we would welcome your comments but until then you are just a starnge little liar to us.

GO VOLS!

also, dont correct my or others grammer "Vandy Grad", we all know you have no right.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to HtownVol:

We need a miracle.

You are correct about us not losing because of Pearl. Our defensive lack of intensity lost the game. They looked lost most of the time on D. BTW I didn't mean he should have left Pearl in really. That was a joke on how bad we were playing as a team. Pearl's heads-up on that play was very good.