Change of target: Firing range cancels shooting of Lane Kiffin bobbleheads

Frontier Firearms owner Brant Williams is offering bobblehead dolls of Lane and Monte Kiffin for a $5 donation, and each donor will be entered in a drawing for a one-year range membership and other prizes.

Photo by Michael Patrick

Lane Kiffin

Photo by Adam Brimer // Buy this photo

Lane Kiffin

What would you do with a bobblehead of Lane Kiffin?

See the results »

View previous polls »

KNOXVILLE - A Kingston gun shop that planned to host a bobble-head shooting day based on ex-Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin's abrupt departure last year, has changed up Saturday's fundraiser.

Instead of shooting bobbleheads of Kiffin and his father, University of Southern California defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, Frontier Firearms on Gallagher Road plans to adopt them out.

"For a $5 donation, bobble-head lovers may take home their very own Monte or Lane Kiffin bobble-head doll to love and nurture as they see fit," shop owner Brant Williams said this afternoon.

"In addition, each $5 donator will be entered in a drawing for a one-year range membership, handgun classes, other prizes, and unless tree huggers protest too loudly the opportunity to shoot at paper targets.

"While we believe our choice of targets has no bearing on evil and would be unrelated to past, present, or future criminal acts, we concede that shooting bobbleheads is in poor taste - especially in light of the tragic shooting in Tucson. Sometimes what sounds like fun or a good idea just isn't and as we have said all along, no one wishes harm to Coach Kiffin."

The fundraiser, a year after Kiffin's bitter departure, comes just one week following the fatal shootings in Arizona that left a congresswoman seriously injured and a federal judge among others dead.

Second Harvest Food Bank was slated to get the proceeds but pulled out after getting some negative reaction from the local community.

Food bank director Elaine Streno she said she received dozens of calls and e-mails, many of them she described as vicious and hateful.

"The one organized movement from the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church was kind and asked me to reconsider," she said. "It was difficult because we agreed to do the event a month ago, unfortunately the tragic event in Arizona came about.

"I made the decision mainly because this is the community food bank and in my 17 years as director I've never had any one person call me and ask me not to do an event. So when you get a parade of probably 30 e-mails and calls you have to reconsider because Second Harvest is here because of the community. But the decision was still a difficult one.

"The people doing this event were just trying to make a bad thing into a good thing. Of course the timing was terrible."

To make up for lost money Streno said that some church members have agreed to help raise the dollars the charity would have received.

About 600 bobbleheads are available for adoption from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Williams said this afternoon.

Donations from bobble-head adoptions will go to an anonymous charity, Williams said.

More details as they develop online and in Saturday's News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

kevin151 writes:

KNS is obsessed with Kiffin, please let it go already....

MikeInTN writes:

Ditto the smart move!!!!! Nothing says redneck like shooting a bobblehead of an ex-coach!!!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

D@MN!! I was on my way out the door to attend this..OH WELL!!! LOL!!

budd#207344 writes:

Just bad timing. Other than that it would be funny locally and the Kiffins would probably laugh as well. And I liked Kiffin

OrangeRockyTop writes:

This is a great call. This would have looked bad on the university and the community. It's time to move on from this weasel and give all our focus to Dooley. Please kns stop posting stories related to this dude as none of your readers care about it anymore but you.

JCJ1986 writes:

in response to budd#207344:

I'm sure knowing that dozens of "angry" people are firing guns at his image doesn't strike the humor chord

CoverOrange writes:

I was going to step on a cockroach the other day but it reminded me of a certain coach and I decided that wasn't the right thing to do.

Has anyone invented that sarcasm font yet?

dap (Inactive) writes:

wait until the ncaa lays out our post season bans then there will be riots over him and pearl.

volzcrushm writes:

maybe they'll come out with LK urinal mats?!

LaneBrains writes:

We are always happy to help the Kids! We know Kingston was especially sad to see us move on to 'SC. We still love you to.

CLK, Monte and Ed

DancingOutlaw writes:

This was in poor taste from the start. Makes us look like psycho ex girlfriends. It's been an entire year, get over it people.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to DancingOutlaw:

Ditto.

GardenGnome writes:

in response to jimbob:

The Unitarian Church donates heavily to Second Harvest. Your offerings of Skoal, Copenhagen, and Red Man would be appreciated by a more appropriate recipient anyway.

ladelock#332850 writes:

I hope the dozens of people who called and/or emailed to complain have made a donation/contribution to Second Harvest.

If not, the complainers should be ashamed!

crappieking writes:

in response to kevin151:

KNS is obsessed with Kiffin, please let it go already....

Catchone writes:

in response to jimbob:

You sound like a true red neck humanitarian.

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

Dang I love Tennessee!

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

Yeah but the "who would like to nail layla kiffin" demo is still on at the home depot

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to LaneBrains:

CLK, Monte and Ed

"We still love you to...........what?????????????"

buzz29 writes:

Smart move Brant, regardless of the tragedy in Tucson. Taking symbolism a step further and regarding Kiffin's bobble-head, people would just be shooting at air(head), anyway.

volunteermailman writes:

in response to DancingOutlaw:

im with you on this one

jobrando#216494 writes:

Sick plan for an event. Good way to get sued when a psycho decides to shoot at the real thing because he got the idea from this event.

OrangeBlur writes:

in response to GardenGnome:

Your offering of owl wings, med. crystals, NPR t-shirts, best of Yani cds, and peppermint oil are really gettin' r' done too. deuxsh bag

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to OrangeBlur:

whoa...why the hate on Yani? LOL

mtowntim writes:

I wouldn't care to have something a little bigger than a bobblehead of Kiffy....for my dog to hump.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to OrangeRockyTop:

Excuse me, but who appointed you Chief Reader to determine what the newspaper should publish and what we all should read? This story is hilarious, and I am happy it was posted.

I am not so small and full of hate that I cannot stand to read about Kiffin. If you are, I suggest you not read future Kiffin stories, nor post about them.

Bigger_Al writes:

Can they shoot "Tuscaloosa John" Adams photos?

YankeeVol writes:

I think it's a little weird that the donations are going to an "anonymous charity". I need some extra money....

nocleats writes:

How bout just letting us know Ed Orgre has an in home visit scheduled in-state instead. Bet we could make sure law enforcement was on the other side of the county or an hour or so.

PUL4VOLS writes:

WE all know it is Palin and the talk radio crew's fault this was about to happen. Good thing it got cancelled in time.
NO JOKE, good call to cancel it and Second Harvest is a worthy cause. Next time I hope they look more closely at what they get involved in.
As for that Twinky soft cakes former UT head coach, he will get what is coming his way in due time. No shots need to be fired, although many feel he will be(fired)before too long. Let's wait and see. Meanwhile, I choose to focus on our current head coach Derek Dooley whom I choose to believe is on the way up with the Vol football program. GO BIG ORANGE!
PS I am a minister and have a lot of skepticism on any anonymous charity. It if can't be named, there must be some kind of problem.

esarmstrong#231516 writes:

Two LK articles in two days. Get over it Knoxville News Sentinel. The guy's been gone for a year now!

Golfnutt59 writes:

Political Correctness wins again.

bobbytodd writes:

Unitarian Universalist......lol. that isn't a real church.

websiteworld_com writes:

Wasn't it Pennsylvania's Governor that said we are becoming a nation of wusses?

cloudodust writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Nope. That one is still on at an undisclosed compound somewhere in the North Carolina region. It was moved to ACC territory so as not to be a conflict of interest.

Seriously, this has got to be one of the dumbest, most lame and totally stupid gimmicks of the 21st century...

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to Golfnutt59:

Political Correctness wins again.

Nailed it.

dvhill100 writes:

Man, you can't have any fun anymore without someone getting their panties in a wad. Then everyone tears up in public and the no fun police show up.

I have no dog in this fight, and frankly don't care about shooting bobblehead dolls, but get a grip. As long as it isn't illegal and not hurting anyone, then why worry about what people think of harmless fun. If you don't like it, don't go/watch/support.

tanasi2 writes:

This event was just a fun event to raise money for charity and to get rid of a bunch of dolls that some company no longer had use for! You liberals on here make me sick! Shooting events have/had no effect on what happened in AZ! Liberals just don't believe in taking personal responsibility for their actions! They want to blame everyone else for their poor behavioral decisions. Shooting dolls won't make hundreds of kids want to go shoot Lane Kiffin! The big mistake the Gun Shop Owner made was dealing with liberal Knoxville Charities. He should have planned to donate the money to a charity in his own county! The fact that 2nd Harvest turned down a donation that would have purchased food for hungry people says a lot about them. I'll never donate to them again!!!! Go Vols!

ronnioekykid_1999 writes:

Kasey writes:

This idea was in poor taste to begin with, and in light of what happened in Tucson became just disgusting. It doesn't seem like rednecks can do anything without involving guns and beer.

ronnioekykid_1999 writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

WOODSON WAS BETTER WHAT DID PEYTON DO IN THE VOL NATION NO CHAMPIONSHIPS

BubbaJ writes:

Just bad taste! Particulary after Tucson. Shooting at a likeness of a disliked football coach is crazy. The Kiffin's have been gone a year now, and you would think most folks around Tennessee would realize that. It's an old story, very old!

eb502us#225637 writes:

If I'm Lane Kiffin and I'm reading this (no doubt he will), I'd send a large check myself to help with the fundraiser.

Would be an interesting twist and some Vol fan or fans somewhere might even think better of him for the effort. Then again......

tnman54 writes:

@AF1A4...although I am not a Palin fan, this thing about the crosshairs is simply ridiculous in my opinion. What is the difference in "crosshairs" on a map compared to "targets" on the map that the democrats published back in the 2008 campaign?..which, I may add, has not been mentioned by the "left" - a great example of hypocracy and ignorance. I, personally, would not shoot the LK bobbleheads, would rather keep it for a collectors item, but I see no harm in this situation. There are many books out there that are far left and far right and everywhere in between,(especially history books)..should those books be collected and destroyed just in case some idiot would happen to read one of them and get some wrong idea? If people would think for themselves instead of absorbing everything the media tells them, right or left, we would probably be better for it. Now I guess we have to sell our Obama bobbleheads.

TennVol01 writes:

This was an ugly idea and I am glad that the pressure from good people made them change their mind. It took a sick person to even think of such a thing. I shopped here on a number of occasions but I will never go there again.

tnman54 writes:

let's see, Loughner a conserative? smoked dope and reads MEIN KAMPF ...be real, seems to me that he fell off from reality...from the left side

tnman54 writes:

well, TennVol, we will probably be safer if you dont

TommyJack writes:

in response to bobbytodd:

Unitarian Universalist......lol. that isn't a real church.

Keith Olbermann is a Unitarian.....What more needs to be said?

rockytopatl writes:

in response to tnman54:

Dude, you need a history lesson. Hitler, and his "Mein Kampf," was the 20th Century's ultimate right winger. For future reference, remember -- Soviets, Communists, far left. Hitler, Nazis, far right. Got it now?

tnman54 writes:

personally, I cannot see as Hitler being thought of as far right, (no government intervention)...and still no one who is bashing the "crosshairs" map has said one word about the "target" map ...Loughner would fit just as much as a left as he would a right...no party to blame here, just a lunatic who decided to kill.