Herman Lathers undergoes right shoulder surgery

Herman Lathers during practices at Haslam Field on Saturday, March 27, 2010.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Herman Lathers during practices at Haslam Field on Saturday, March 27, 2010.

Tennessee opted for the preventative maintenance route when addressing a shoulder injury that bothered linebacker Herman Lathers throughout the end of the 2010 season.

Lathers had successful surgery on his right shoulder last week and will be limited during spring practice, UT announced Monday. The rising junior linebacker, however, is expected to be ready for summer workouts and should be able to participate without restrictions when fall camp opens in August.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Greg Mathien and Dr. Russell Betcher of the Knoxville Orthopedic Clinic at the University of Tennessee Medical Center.

Lathers is UT’s lone returning starting linebacker heading into the 2011 season and is a key piece to a Vols’ defense that had its ups and downs in Derek Dooley’s first year.

Lathers, a Baton Rouge, La. native, started 12 of 13 games in 2010, missing action just once against UAB in September. The former All-SEC freshman middle linebacker adapted easily to a switch back to the outside, as he was second on the team with 75 tackles and chipped in with 4.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks.

Lathers recorded 25 tackles in the season’s final three games and notched two 10-tackle games throughout the year.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

drgreear writes:

We need him to get better, he's going to be great!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Thanks Herman for a good season. Stay off it for a while and let it heal! Thanks for being a Vol. We appreaciate you! Now, make your grades. Late...

roobomb writes:

Good luck, Herman! I'm getting ready to have a second rotator cuff repair on my right shoulder, but I'm older than dirt. My first was at 22, and I got over that one pretty easily. As a physical therapist, let me encourage you to stick with your plan of care; don't rush things and you'll do fine.

wyomingvol writes:

Hey, FREE news about the football team!!!!!

givehim6 writes:

Had to have shoulder surgery about 4 years ago from a accident I had, took me at least a year to get over it and thats was with exercise and weight training. UT must have a great rehab program.

springtx_vol writes:

I had surgery for a torn labrum 6 or 7 years ago when I was in my mid 40's. Six month later, it was basically 100%, and that was with weekly PT. With the care the athletes get, he should be raring to go by August.

Unfortunately, it looks like a second surgery is going to have to be done, don't think I will heal as fast this time!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Lathers will be REALLY good if he stays healthy. Until now that has been an issue. Greg King will be REALLY good if he can stay healthy. Until now, that's been an issue. John Probst IMO will be a VERY good LB. Not the most athletic guy but VERY smart and physical. Some think LB will be an area of need for next yr. If we stay healthy, I actually think we will be strong at LB. Austin Johnson could be good as well. But the 3 I named above, along with A.J. Johnson could be GREAT IMO.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Good luck and get well soon,Herman!! You will be need this year!!

oskie_score writes:

Heal well Herman.

Jerod Askew??
SuperPrep All-American. Rated the nations #1 (run stopping) LB when he signed w/ the Vols in 2009.
2010 Roster listed JA as a Redshirt FR.
The silence (from Admin and Coaching Staff) is what baffles most. Status please! Is it academics, behavior issues, or an injury...conundrum.

drgreear writes:

My girlfriend met Herman and TJ Marrs two summers ago at boomsday in knoxville. Herman and TJ gave her and her friends a ride back to there car, she said he was really nice a great person.

kyletrktr writes:

in response to wyomingvol:

Hey, FREE news about the football team!!!!!

seriously! some of us just don't want to pay to see news we could just ask someone about... getting back to subject, hope this surgery helps him next season and throughout his career. hes a solid performer.

HtownVol writes:

WHAT HAPPENED TO ASKEW??

I have asked for over a year and no one knows. Is this just a player that was made up by the recruiting sites? He seems to have been abducted by aliens.

Ironcity writes:

in response to HtownVol:

WHAT HAPPENED TO ASKEW??

I think he moved to the line and he is not good enough to crack the rotation

VolGraduate writes:

in response to drgreear:

Your girlfriend was at boomsday meeting guys?

drgreear writes:

in response to VolGraduate:

Your girlfriend was at boomsday meeting guys?

No...it was before we started dating and she was with her friends

mybloodbleedsorange writes:

for the person wanting to know about Jerod Askew I read on UT sports.com that Jerod Askew redshirted for the 2010 season which explains why you haven't heard anything about him.

tnfanincali writes:

Didn't Askew play in the bowl game? He looked really good, I think he had a pass batted down and a QB hurry that killed a play. Could be wrong but I think that was him. He is a big SOB! Thick and quick.... I might be wrong but I think that was him....

tnfanincali writes:

BTW anybody know what the status is with Eddrick Lofton?..

PUL4VOLS writes:

We need Lathers at his top performing level come fall and I hope he gets there. As for Askew, apparently he doesn't matter at this point or we would know more about him than, well he may have redshirted the 2010 season etc. Maybe we will see more of him as spring ball nears or maybe he is on another planet. I just don't know. If he has the potential he was billed for during recruitment, I hope he gets it together and becomes all Vol!

FarmerVol writes:

Herm - MAN!
A banged up shoulder is better than a banged up back or a blown out knee. Phooey happens even to good guys like you. Not much consoliation but keep those legs working hard - the Vol Nation depends on you for next year! Get well soon

oskie_score writes:

in response to tnfanincali:

J. Askew did not play in the Music Bowl.

oskie_score writes:

in response to tnfanincali:

BTW anybody know what the status is with Eddrick Lofton?..

Working to qualify academically.

Volunatic writes:

Best of luck on a speedy recovery, Herman!

tnfanincali writes:

Ah I was thinking of Vereen... he looked good!