Last shot of Georgia game brings Bruce Pearl off couch

Last play of Georgia game gets Pearl off couch

Bruce Pearl began Tuesday night’s game as a coach on the couch. He ended it as a fan with no need for a sofa.

“I’m analyzing things throughout much of the game,” Tennessee’s men’s basketball coach said at Wednesday’s press luncheon. “And I’m as much of a fan as any Vols fan at the end.

“The pad and the paper are long gone at the end. I’m out there screaming and praying like every other Vol fan out there. There’s no difference.”

Pearl, who is serving an eight-game SEC-imposed game-day suspension, watched from his Knoxville home as the Vols beat Georgia 59-57 on a last-second shot in Athens, Ga., on Tuesday night. And he felt as happy and relieved as any fan that the final seconds played out the way they did, with Brian Williams scoring off an offensive rebound a fraction of a second before time expired.

“I think that gets called a foul on Brian Williams most of the time,” Pearl said. “But there are a couple of factors where it doesn’t.

“One factor: Brian had two hands on the basketball before he made contact with (Chris) Barnes. If Brian doesn’t have possession of the basketball prior to the contact, it’s probably a bad no-call.”

The television replay showed Williams had both hands on the ball as Barnes backed into him in pursuit of Tobias Harris’ missed shot.

“We got a win against a team that won’t lose many at home,” Pearl said. “Vanderbilt was a must win because it was at home. Georgia was an opportunity because most teams aren’t going down there and beat Georgia.

“We’re obviously fortunate to do that.”

Another opportunity is coming up. The Vols (12-6) will play in Hartford, Conn., against eighth-ranked Connecticut (14-2) Saturday (TV: WVLT, 2 p.m.).

“UConn is playing (like) one of the top four teams in the country,” Pearl said. “The environment will be tremendous.

“We’re playing against arguably the best player (Kemba Walker) in the country. He leads the Big East in scoring. Jim Calhoun is obviously a legendary hall of fame coach.

“But if you don’t put these games on the schedule, you don’t give the kids a chance to win them. . . . So you put them in harm’s way and see how they respond.”

Pearl won’t have to watch their response from his living room. Since it’s a non-conference game, he will return to the bench. Associate head coach Tony Jones has been in charge on game day in Pearl’s absence.

“I’m excited (about returning),” Pearl said. “But I want it to be as much the same as we can have it be, because I won’t be there Wednesday against LSU.

“Try to treat it like an injury. We’re a man down. Now, we’ve got somebody back.”

Getting Jobbed?: ESPN basketball analysts Dick Vitale and Jay Bilas have both said Pearl should have been punished more severely for his NCAA violations. But Pearl said he tries not to take the criticism personally.

“They have a job to do,” he said.

During last Saturday’s telecast of the UT-Vanderbilt game, Vitale said 99 percent of schools would have fired Pearl immediately after he lied to NCAA investigators.

“These decisions (in regard to Pearl’s punishment) are made by people with all the information,” Pearl said. “So sometimes it’s puzzling when people make strong statements when they don’t have all the facts.”

Corner Shots: Power forward Harris took corner shots in the final seconds against Arkansas and Georgia. That’s not a coincidence.

“The reason why Tobias is open on those last-second shots is because when dribble penetration occurs, guards are taught to stay in passing lanes and bigs (who guard Harris) are taught to sink (into the post),” Pearl said. “So when a big sinks, Tobias goes to the corner.

“Tobias got a really good look (against Georgia). But (Trey) Thompkins closed on him very fast and challenged his shot, maybe even got a piece of it.”

Tough For Thompkins: UT’s defensive strategy against Georgia was a factor in the victory. The evidence was in Thompkins’ stat line: The preseason All-SEC player of the year made only four of 13 shots and scored 13 points, five below his average.

The Vols guarded Thompkins, a power forward, with centers Williams and John Fields.

Harris guarded center Jeremy Price, who is less of a scoring threat.

“It paid dividends,” Pearl said.

John Adams is a senior columnist. He may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com. Follow him at @johnadamskns.

Vol86 writes:

We should make an example out of uconn. Go get em guys. btw a good no call at end of uga game.

VOLliven2it writes:

And we are to be surprised that Bruce, got up off the couch on the Williams shot? I am not at all. In fact, I hardly kept my seat in the comfort of my home.

voloffaith writes:

Our "BUDDIES" at eSpN didn't think so........but then what is new with the "We don't like UT" mindset?

On topic,like the coach....sad for the University because of all the bad pub(I don't care what that former futbol coach thot of ANY exposure!) Huskies going to bite us and humble us. They have the athletes to match us so we lose that edge.

Gart5 writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

First, why are you reading this article if you hate CBP. Second, why is your name MrPearl2?

ghost_of_which_doctor (Inactive) writes:

Pearl! Pearl! Best in the world!

kevin151 writes:

Great Win! But does anyone notice how on the offensive end everyone stands around and doesn't move? I mean what is the thinking there?

BigBadVol writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

Don't you get tired of showing everyone what a mental midget acts like?

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

Shiite Muslims, you are right. I avoid Adams' articles, but they tricked me by not saying "ADAMS" in the title.

At least he wasn't sarcastic and trying to demoralize UT fans.

boroviathaochvolsfan writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

You are an idiot....

dap (Inactive) writes:

in response to slaw_way:

grammar police pull over. You just wrote a paragraph but abbreviated "problem"? Seriously are you that lazy?

LiveFaith writes:

Label your articles before posting them JA. That way we can skip them.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

I was already off the couch when BW made that last shot..I was too nervous to sit down..LOL!!

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I agree about the ESPN mindset...as for the UCONN game they have the athletes but so did Pitt and Nova..not saying we are going to win but we obviously have a chance depends on which UT shows up

in response to osbymartin#581730:

Agree completely. The Vols can either win any game or lose any game, depending on which Vol team shows up. Somehow, they always seem to get up for the ranked teams, so I give them a pretty good shot on Saturday.

cargen#1339565 writes:

Aren't we all happy today, but we will be happier
when U. Conn, bites the dust. Put a collar on Kembra and watch U.Conn fall. Pleas play your strongest five the last 10 minutes.

in response to Plasticman:

The offense surely hasn't been a thing of beauty lately, but I knew the Vols were going to have a shot at UGA last night because of the way they were playing on defense. That is the main reason I give them a chance at UConn. Great defense gives a team a chance to win even when they aren't scoring with ease.

GerryOP writes:

Thanks for reporting this John. Now some NCAA genius is going to claim that Bruce leaping off his couch is a violation of his suspension.

GerryOP writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

Are you the cure .. or are you the disease?

manoffewwords writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

I'm sorry I didn't hear you.

dvols writes:

sweep the big east....that will really piss espn off.....

jbocap writes:

I hope the Vols beat UConn...its one of those "you know the can...but will they?"

As for you CBP haters - get lost! I'm for Bruce Pearl all the way!
I still dont see the big deal with all this in what seems to be a bbq at his house and phone calls and he lied --- BUT -- HE ALSO TOLD THE TRUTH IN CORRECTING THE RECORD!

How many of you have ever lied? How many of you have lied and went back to correct it? Have any of the members of the NCAA infractions committee EVER lied? If so, they should recuse themselves.

Whatever result comes from the NCAA - UT should appeal it vigorously and continue to stand by CBP. He's already been severely penalized. Any further action by the NCAA will determine if their focus is truly on the student-athletes -- or their angst that CBP lied to them -- THEN TOLD THEM THE TRUTH!

So many Drama Queens in this world!

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

I'd put the over/under on ESPN bringing up UConn's violations at 1. I'd also put the over/under on them specifically mentioning Bruce's secondary violation - giving food to commitments who were brought to his house before their Jr. year was over, at 1.

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

NO PROBLEM we just give JONES a half mil tip and let Pearl scout every top 50 players in the country and he can be back the next year as we have our next years team set.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Navalorange:

bingo...

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

UConn has spent the last 2 weeks playing 4 top #15 teams..They are for sure battle tested..I think Walker may be the leading scorer in the country..Ive seen him make shots most NBA players couldn't..Walker shoots 25 to 30 shots a game;Knowing this you would think stop Walker and you win.Easier said then done.Only Notre Dame has held him to 20 points..Best we can hope for is he has a bad shooting game because we don't have a guard that can stay with him.This is a OOC game but we need no less than 20 wins to make the tourney and a win here counts BIG TIME!! It will be interesting to see what Pearl and Shay come up with..GO VOLS

kyvol98 writes:

A BIG UT road win coupled with a UK loss. How does it get any better here in Central KY? (Well, guess I could have won the Mega Millions)

pammyvol1000 writes:

Give one to Williams!! We kicked them in the face with a hobnail boot!!:)

GreeneVol_TN writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

YAAAAAWWWWWNNNN!

orangeblood8456 writes:

cbp needs to find a place where we can all watch the game together. enough of this pity party. of course, commish slime would have to approve!

kyvol98 writes:

in response to pammyvol1000:

Give one to Williams!! We kicked them in the face with a hobnail boot!!:)

THAT is one great post!
Thanks Pammy!

kyvol98 writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Love it Plasticman!
Definitely all about the D

Ayres_Hall writes:

CBP haters? Well, I hate that he knowingly cheated, then lied after being caught, then attempted to cover-up the cheating and lying.

Does that count?

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Well we might need to put Skylar on him and hope to wear him out or hack his arms till they bleed then let Goins finish him off. Seriously, guards like this, we can't stop. I think we give him his 30 and stop everybody else. I just hope Cam and Brian are on their game.

GerryOP writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Teenaged 'ballers that willingly move to Storrs, CT need to have their sanity questioned. That's where alphabet government agencies send folks in the Witness Protection Program.

afret_1 writes:

He would not be on the couch if BP was an honest peron.

USNVOL writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

With any luck you will permanently go away troll.
You came on this site under this usuer name on the 31th of Dec,and have posted 111 times,are you looking for attention........LITTLE PERSON..................TROLL?
Does your parents know that you are using thier computer??
GO AWAY GO FAR AWAY....PERMANENTLY!!!!

Go away troll

UTByrd writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Nice post. Couldn't have said it better.
I would like to add that I've noticed an upsurge in confidence as a team.
The only complaint I have at this time is their body language after a questionable call. It's not too cool to show everyone at the game as well as TV viewers that you feel the ref made a bad call. Take the call like a man and gain their respect.
Other than this, I really like what I'm seeing from the VOLS.
What don't kill you will only make you better.

Go VOLS!!!!!

GerryOP writes:

in response to jbocap:

As for you CBP haters - get lost! I'm for Bruce Pearl all the way!

So many Drama Queens in this world!

Drama Queen ... an image conscious relative of the common Attention Whore.

DarthWilson writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Does that count?

See I am with you but I take it out farther. I hate the same things you do But I go on to respect the man owning up to his mistakes/lies. He has accepted every punishment handed down to him so far. I am taught the way of forgiveness. This is his first big mistake here at TN, so I am willing to give him a second chance. Though alot of built up equity has been used.

GerryOP writes:

in response to DarthWilson:

As I have previously stated, like Fulmer after the '05 season, Pearl has cashed in his "built up equity." If he survives, there are no more 2nd chances.

iowavol writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

At least he wasn't sarcastic and trying to demoralize UT fans.

Same with me. I haven't read one of his articles in almost a year unless they trick me like they did you. He is the most despicable human being in the world - right in front of bin laden. I understand from sources in Knoxville that his wife has filed for divorce.

DarthWilson writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Exactly.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to afret_1:

He would not be on the couch if BP was an honest peron.

What is a peron, ZZ. Like a moron like you?

USNVOL writes:

in response to afret_1:

He would not be on the couch if BP was an honest peron.

Not only are you a troll,but you are a troll who is dumb.
Instead of trolling on this site ,stroll over to a night school and take some classes and learn how to spell...dumb azz...TROLL.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

HOORAY!!!!TENNESSEE MEN'S BASKETBALL MATTERS AGAIN...GOT FOLKES SCARED!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

I don't care the reason that Tobias is open for threes at the end of games!...We need a new plan of action!...He does not need to shoot ANY threes; he needs to stay near the basket! We need to work the ball inside more instead of settling for threes! Some balance in the offense would help them through some of their shooting woes!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

ps. The D is pretty strong though! GO VOLS!!!

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to MrPearl2:

go play in the street

your comments mean nothing here

BamaVol writes:

Dick Vitale is a no 1 butthole

rdrgtr writes:

in response to dap:

O.A.T.N.W.C.S.O.F.W.T.

Oh, sorry for the abbreviations. Let me translate.
ONLY A TOTAL NERD WOULD CALL SOMEONE OUT FOR WRITING THAT....