Foster adds ESPY to awards list

Big opening game in 2010 honored

Arian Foster's stunning 2010 NFL season continued Wednesday night with an ESPY Award.

Foster, a former University of Tennessee running back, won the NFL Strongest Performance Award over two other nominees, Leon Washington of Seattle and DeAngelo Hall of Kansas City.

Foster was cited for his 231-yard, three-touchdown game for the Houston Texans against Indianapolis on opening day of the 2010 season.

Foster went on to lead the NFL in rushing with 1,616 yards.

An undrafted free-agent signee with the Texans after his 2008 senior season at Tennessee, Foster made Houston's roster in 2009 and played in six games. Then he exploded in 2010.

Foster was nominated for two other ESPYs but did not win. Blake Griffin of the NBA Los Angeles Clippers won the award for Best Breakthrough Player. Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers won as the NFL's Best Player.

The ESPY Awards are presented by ESPN to recognize outstanding achievements in the sports year.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

scvols writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Foster is one of those guys that I never saw him being a good NFL running back. The was a 3 star from CAL and I rooted for him, but he never had that flash. That being said he was almost UT record holder for rushing so the guy was good.

VOODOOley-2011 (Inactive) writes:

I bet $100 Foster will FUMBLE the trophy on the wall to the trophy case.

SpiritOfTheHill writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

OKEMO speaks...

...and gets most of those fumbles wrong.

People remember what they want to remember, even when it's flat-out false.

voloffaith writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Okeefanokee spoke...

RUMBLE!!!! That be the sound of his empty belly
RUMBLE!!!! That be the sound of his own voice rattling in his head
RUMBLE!!!! That be him typing out his drivel on his bed!

Okeefanokee spoke and we all laughed at the joke...

Okeefanokee u spin and don't win on,"Wheel of Misfortune." Growup and stop beating big,bad drum UGH!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Uh the article is about his PRO carrer not his college time so ewe ARE off topic,but they won't zap you this time.

theoldbear writes:

My 95 year old mother in law asked me why I won't be moving back to Tennessee when I retire in the Fall.

I told her it is because I want to stay out of jail. She wanted to know why I'd go to jail if I moved back to Tennessee.

IT IS BECAUSE I'D HAVE TO KILL A BUNCH OF IDIOTS WHO CLAIM TO BE VOL FANS!

A young man who did his best (even if he did fumble too often) for four years as a Vol wins an award for an outstanding performance as a professional.

Do you idiots not realize that this reflects positively upon our University? Do you not realize this is something that should be pointed to with pride? Do you not realize that this could be a recruiting tool?

NO, OF COURSE YOU DON'T! YOU'D RATHER POINT OUT THE NEGATIVE AND RE-LIVE THE PAST.

So I'll live somewhere else, watch the Vols on television, and have intelligent conversations with fans who can appreciate success and acheivement.

eVOLved writes:

in response to theoldbear:

IT IS BECAUSE I'D HAVE TO KILL A BUNCH OF IDIOTS WHO CLAIM TO BE VOL FANS!

Momma always said...

Chris4Vols22 writes:

He does have a point. Vols doing well in the NFL will help recruiting.

Ironcity writes:

in response to theoldbear:

IT IS BECAUSE I'D HAVE TO KILL A BUNCH OF IDIOTS WHO CLAIM TO BE VOL FANS!

Your so right. The worst thing a player can do at UT is have a big freshman year because anything short of leading the Vols to an SEC championship or NC the next three yeas is a failure. As fans our expectations are for every player to improve dramatically every year even if they brake their necks. If they do not we throw them under the bus and blame them for everything that ills our team. The only thing fans hate more then a player not living up to our expectations is a player who comes back when he should go pro and not live up to our expectations.

As a fan base we do need to grow up and rejoice and congratulate one of our own when something good happens. By the way we should also congratulate Foster for learning about ball security because he doesn't fumble any more and that is a testament to the hard work put in by him.

RockyTop1_old writes:

He is a VFL!!! Deal with it and congratulations Foster!! GBO!!

SouthALVol writes:

I suggest any haters out there take the time to read Clay Travis' book On Rocky Top, which was about the disastrous 2008 year. Pay particular attention to the commentary given regarding the players, coaches, parents of players, girlfriends, etc. You will realize, as I did, these folks want to win FAR MORE than we want them to. The sad thing for me is it took me 42 years to realize it.

iowavol writes:

in response to theoldbear:

IT IS BECAUSE I'D HAVE TO KILL A BUNCH OF IDIOTS WHO CLAIM TO BE VOL FANS!

Amen brother, amen. Oh how I wish for the pay site back and get rid of most of the idiots. Foster was unlucky at Tennessee, credited for more errors than he should have been, and unfortunately committed most of his own errors and the end of a hard run where he was gaining that extra two yards. In the end, he got caught in the disastrous move to a third offensive system in three years. Proud of this former Volunteer and VFL.

Share your thoughts