Vols report Aug. 1, start practice the 2nd

UT coach Derek Dooley watches his team during the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium in April 2011.

Photo by Angela Lewis / Chattanooga Times Free Press

Tennessee will officially report for its second season under coach Derek Dooley on the first day of August, and the Vols will use virtually the entire month to gear up for the campaign.

UT unveiled a handful of critical dates on Wednesday as it nails down plans for fall camp, including the first day of practice on Tuesday, Aug. 2.

The first day in pads will be five days later on Aug. 7, with fall media day slated for the following Sunday on the 14th and the start of the semester set to begin on the 17th.

All that leads up to the opening kickoff of the season with a non-conference date against Montana set for Sept. 3. Game time with the Grizzlies has not yet been announced.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

MikeInTN writes:

It can't come fast enough!!!!!

UCFgradVOLatHEART writes:

UCFgradVOLatHEART writes:

dang it

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say this summer hot and slow. Witch Doctor say notice KNS throwing every "personality" known to man to keep us reading. Witch Doctor say gonna be long time till Sept. 3
Bones never lie.

born2ride writes:

Will we be happy with 7 wins?

Docrok writes:

At least come Aug 2nd we will have some fresh news to read about. With SEC media days kicking off next week and Aug just around the corner I am ready for some football.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to born2ride:

Will we be happy with 7 wins?

3-5 in the conference last year.

this year 4-4 and we win all the non conference games.

8-4

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to born2ride:

Will we be happy with 7 wins?

Maybe.I would like to see more than 7.May not happen this year,but next year more will be expected.

voljaxfl writes:

I would be happy with 7 or 8 wins as long as one of those comes on Sept. 17th.

Mobbdeep4life writes:

in response to MikeInTN:

It can't come fast enough!!!!!

Realer words have never been written!

MitchelCrass writes:

in response to born2ride:

Will we be happy with 7 wins?

thats a negative ghostrider

givehim6 writes:

Were getting close! The past few years Somebody usually did a count down to football time in tennassee, wonder if anyone will this year?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to born2ride:

Will we be happy with 7 wins?

By the seventh game...yes.

lomas98 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Will we be happy with 7 wins?

We should be happy with that. On paper I think we are 5-5 with 2 toss ups in cincy and ga. As long as we win the ones we should, 7 wins is realistic. I do assume you are talking about regular season and not including a 13th game at a bowl.

smokeyvol1 writes:

in response to givehim6:

Where exactly is Tennassee?

pingkr62 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Will we be happy with 7 wins?

I'll take seven! G.B.O.

SummittsCourt writes:

Finally some football!

CharlotteVol writes:

Can't wait...the time between summer vacation and the first game seems to drag on forever. Absolutely nothing going on in sports except the world cup.

Go Vols and Go Team USA

VolzsFan writes:

It is 50 days until the beatings begin and all of you can start calling for Bray and Dooley's head. 7 wins is so comical. They are closer to 3 wins than 7.

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

VolBlitz writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Only because the season hasn't started!

Guys, I'm telling ya, we are under the radar and I love it. It will work in our favor. 7 wins for the low and 14 top. :)

Ya just never know.

voloffaith writes:

in response to LaneKiffinISyourDaddy:

Spawned is that ewe? You're looking a little off color. Oh I see that is to go along with your off color remarks,but remember Right ON!

The article is about fall practices so ewe are OFF TOPIC so by by might be in store. We'll see what the Dream police think.....

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

Titletown, When did Green Bay fans start giving our team a hard time? You got your numbers wrong, Green Bay has more than 3 titles. They have 4 Super Bowl wins, but you forgot to add in the NFL titles prior to 67.

Florida on the other hand, 5 star talent with 2 star coaching doesn't bode well. Rural Meyer led all that talent to an impressvie 7 and 5 regualr season record. Of course they had a Pro Style QB with a Spread offense and Steve Sax at Center. With the transition to Galen Muschamp, the Gators will fight Vandy and KY for fourth place.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to LaneKiffinISyourDaddy:

I am getting so tired of this kind of spittle. When is KNS going to do something about interlopers like this? I am about ready to end my participation. I look for forums that have meaningful, intelligent conversations and debate about issues, not hate filled spittle spewing forth from my monitor.

Let's debate what UT's record may be next year (personally, I think we have 6 sure wins, 4 nonconference plus Vandy and Kentucky; two very probably losses, Alabama and LSU, and 6 games that we will probably be underdogs in but could win if we play well and get breaks or if the other team is not as good as folks think thay may be, read UGA and UF)

Let's debate how will Bray may play this year. Will he have a 2 or 3 to 1 TD/Int ratio? Why talk about him being a cow and eating grass? That is an inane comment.

Get with it KNS! Do your job and moderate the forum.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to LaneKiffinISyourDaddy:

Further, I personally go to lots of other teams forum pages to get a read on what their fans are saying about their own team. Take a look at Notre Dame's forums if you want to see how passionate fans can be for their own team, both positive and negatively. Plus the language that they use!

But I have never gone to another teams forum pages and belittled or harrassed them. I talk about football, what happened on the field, the good plays and the bad plays. I have never had a member of those forums tell me to get lost.

I want to have discussions with fans from other teams. I want to debate who is better. I don't want to read trash or trash talking; I don't even want to do that in the stadium during games.

MusicCityVol writes:

Can't wait for things to get started. Its been a long summer but football is right around the corner.

Same Old Vandy or a New Era?

lomas98 writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

Get with it KNS! Do your job and moderate the forum.

As much as people think Bray will just step right in at the same pace as last year, I am a little concerned about taking a step back. It has happened before. He does lose the top 3 receivers from last year. Moore was a beast the last part of the year and Jones and Stocker were reliable. Hunter and Rogers ARE very talented, but can they do more than run the fly pattern. I know our offensive line will be better and they were pretty good against the pass last year. Hopefully they can open some running holes so we won't be as one dimensional. People say the spring game didn't matter because Bray played horrible, but if he lit it up they would have said it mattered. I hope he has put the work in this summer to improve not only on his play but as a leader.

VolGrad writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Thank goodness for EA Sports NCAA Football, or it would feel even longer. :D

GBO!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Can't wait til football season starts but time will go by quickly because it has thus far this summer..Just stay busy and and enjoy the rest of the summer!!! I have been busy this summer, such is why I have't commented much..I have peeked it in only to see WAY TOO MANY TROLLS WHO HAVE NO LIFE!!! LOL!!!

Vol_in_GA writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

Get with it KNS! Do your job and moderate the forum.

It looks like KNS is doing all they can to keep the morons at bay. But any time they ban somebody, all the banned user has to do is simply re-register under another name and email address. "LaneKiffinISyourDaddy" is a prime example. This relentless behavior is pretty tough to police.

These idiots thrive on the responses they get from their over-the-top, contrarian posts. Don't give them the satisfaction. When you respond, you're just giving them more ammunition.

Look on the bright side. Only a few more weeks and we'll actually have a football season to read and talk about.

GBO!

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to lomas98:

A lot of people enjoy putting too much stock in that spring game, but they all seem to forget that Bray wasn’t playing with his traditional starters. Captains picked the teams, so it was a bit of a hodge-podge of various skill levels surrounding Bray, hence the inconsistency.

PennVol writes:

in response to born2ride:

Will we be happy with 7 wins?

B2R - I'm only happy with 11+ wins but I can be "understanding" of 7 wins during Dooley's second year. Let's don't let the bar slip on our expectations of the Vols - ever!

voloffaith writes:

in response to LaneKiffinISyourDaddy:

OFF TOPIC!!!

springtx_vol writes:

in response to lomas98:

The thing that bothers me most about Bray is his immaturity. He admitted after the spring game that he just wasn't in it because he didn't have the entire first team offense with him. Where is his fight, his competetiveness? Can he only perform when everything is right?

I am less worried about our receivers. Hunter and Rogers (both of them) will be better route runners this year. Our coaches will make sure of that. Our offensive line has to be better than last year unless we have three or four guys go backwards, which means the running game will be better.

I think that our over-under for wins is 8. Less than that will be a disappointing season, more than that will be a result of player improvement. I think that our coaching staff collectively will show by the end of the year that they are in the top 4 or 5 staffs in the conference. I especially want to see Wilcox's defense this year! Not too many top QB's on the schedule, so if we don't keep the other teams under 20 points a game (and maybe under 14!), I will be unhappy.

Alabama, Arkansas, and maybe LSU are better right now. UF and UGA have had some turnover; USCe has Spurrier who seems to underwhelm with results; MissSt and Mullen may be up there with Dooley and gang; Auburn had one great year with a great player, let's see what they do this year. In my opinion, no one else is even close. Don't flame in response, give reasons!

VolNExile writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

But couldn't they at least create some interesting personalities to throw in here?

It's not working for me. All the trolls sound alike (duh; I wonder why?), so I'm doing a lot less reading.

voljaxfl writes:

Just signed up yesterday to this website. Been reading comments from people, and while the majority have been on topic and insightful, there are some that i don't quite understand. I'm new to message boards and can't grasp at why some people who are not fans are on other teams websites. It seems they would have something better to do. Am I wrong?

voljaxfl writes:

Football can't get here soon enough. I thought I saw somewhere that the Montana game was going to be a 12 start time. Go VOLS

givehim6 writes:

in response to smokeyvol1:

Where exactly is Tennassee?

You know years ago when I first joined govols this was a site Vol fans could go to read news about the Vols and post about are beloved team. But now after the trolls and some bad years everone has become so ill and hateful sometimes its crazy.Yes I know some will laugh at this or say someting dumb about it, but would not it be nice to be able to take control our Vol site again... nomore trolls! Maybe we could be nice to each other again.

givehim6 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

And this is what, a joke, funny? Try again bud.

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to LaneKiffinISyourDaddy:

Poor little troll got censored. I'm sure that you were really telling us off too! Oh well clean up your act because I'm really very very interested in what you have to say. Hope the extra small trogans win their bowl game this year. Oops...I'm sorry I forgot that you guys aren't eligible. You fight on girl.

voljaxfl writes:

I just think it's a bit immature to have to bring others down to help their own self esteem. Down here in Jax most gator fans are actually realistic about their team and see they are in for a long haul. Just can't wait for that Sept 17th matchup. Good days ahead for the VOLS.

VolGrad writes:

Can't wait, but I must
The Orange and White, to see
The band, the fans, when everyone stands
As the players run out through the "T"
ONLY in BOC...
ONLY in BOC.

Go Vols!!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

You Were not supposed to tell that the New York Jets were videoing and signaling the play called. Mannnnnnn now we all know and it is sad. Oh well reality in how many weeks? Where is our old poster who always told/tells how many days to opening kickoff?