Bristol Motor Speedway, Tennessee team up to sell Cup race, home opener

Two Tennessee entities that previously had no trouble selling out its massive venues have teamed up to rejuvenate and collaborate their respective fan bases.

Bristol Motor Speedway and the University of Tennessee unveiled "The Dream Package" Tuesday, allowing fans to receive a ticket for the Aug. 27 Sprint Cup Irwin Tools Night Race and a ticket for the Sept. 3 Vols football season opener against Montana for a combined price of $110.

Fans can order the tickets online at TNDreamPackage.com. Quantities are limited.

"This is a great opportunity for us to reach sports fans and experienced fans, not just Tennessee fans," UT senior associate athletic director Chris Fuller said in a BMS press release. "It's really unique to be able to see two great events at Bristol Motor Speedway and Neyland Stadium in one week."

The collaboration is the latest example of UT attacking ticket sales with a proactive mentality rather than simply relying on the storied program's tradition-laden past to fill one of the biggest stadiums in the country.

The Vols are still one of the best in the nation when it comes to total attendance, but the team's recent struggles combined with a shaky economy have turned ticket sales into a tougher ordeal.

Last season, UT ranked sixth in the nation with an average of 99,781 fans for its seven games at Neyland Stadium, which seats 102,455. It marked a slight increase from the total amassed in 2009, but there is work to do if the Vols hope to crack an average of more than 100,000 in 2011.

As of Friday, the school had sold roughly 61,500 of its 72,500 season tickets. That's about 2,000-2,500 tickets fewer than what was sold at this point last year.

Individual tickets for all of the Vols' home games go on sale Aug. 8. Full blocks of season tickets, as well as two, three-game mini packs, are already on sale.

BMS has faced similar problems filling its spacious facility, which, after expansion in 2002, seats 155,000.

The venue had its 55-race sellout streak snapped last spring, but rebounded with a sellout for its more popular August race. Despite Knoxville's Trevor Bayne carrying a good deal of buzz into the March race after his unexpected Daytona 500 victory, attendance dipped significantly, as 120,000 fans made it out for the Jeff Byrd 500.

Individual tickets for next month's race start at $90.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say throw in helicopter ride to avoid not one BUT two major traffic jams....Witch Doctor in!
Bones never lie.

CR_Vol writes:

NeckFest 2K11

stevefrommemphis writes:

"Quantities are limited"? Well, if they base that limit on Neyland Stadium, only 20,000 or so remain!

It might help if UTAD would announce the kickoff time for the Montana game so potential purchasers know whether they are going to roast for 3.5 hours.

Is there any chance that this game won't be televised and will only take 2.5 hours to play?

westknoxvol24 writes:

Boy are we desperate or what?

NashvillePreds writes:

This is smart business.
I'm sure the internet CFOs will disagree.
BTW, CantStandSaban, even though I've obviously never met you, I can honestly state you must be one of the most pathetic people on this planet.

GO VOLS

Orange_Scooter writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Vegas has the odds of Phil Fulmer as UT AD at 1,000 to 1 and eating doughnuts as a sure bet.

taylorsvolfan writes:

What happened to the talk at one time of playing agame IN the speedway ?

taylorsvolfan writes:

in response to Orange_Scooter:

Probably a sure bet you would enjoy a turd on a bun with a little sauce too !

volfaninjersey#206894 writes:

The stardust closed a few years back...

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to volfaninjersey#206894:

The stardust closed a few years back...

Witch Doctor say be very careful bringing "facts" around KNS...they hate them things! hehe
Bones never lie.

tnaseevol writes:

in response to westknoxvol24:

Boy are we desperate or what?

Sounds like it, doesn't it.

BTW...how many of you "all vols' who never go to a game, went to the 'meet your seat'?

A good deal there, or do you prefer to be an 'all vol fan' couch potato?

westknoxvol24 writes:

Season ticket holder go every year...In the stadium love the atmosphere thats what it's all about

Orange_Scooter writes:

in response to taylorsvolfan:

Probably a sure bet you would enjoy a turd on a bun with a little sauce too !

Joan Cronan for AD.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Witch Doctor say Google rides to the rescue again!
Bones never lie.

Orange_Scooter writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Like I always say, people who get so upset that when they don't get their way over which coach or personnel (AD) gets put in place to the point that they pretend to be Vandy fans probably have no clue as to the definition of "crybaby"; but to help you out, check a nearby mirror.

tovolny writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

IT IS AN OPTION. Why insult the people of East Tennesse, Western North Carolina, Southwest Virginia, and Eastern Kentucky. I guess Montana was insulted also, as well as all the Big Sky Schools. And, all of NASCAR. I HAVE NEVER SEEN so many folks insulted by so few lines.

I bet you feel real proud of yourself because, you think you are saying: "hey, look at me, I am a fantastic representative of the human race."

IT IS AN OPTION...just stay at your house and watch the Miss America pageant. No one wants you there, anyway.

I dare you to go to Bristol and call someone wearing a Dale Jr. tee a stupid redneck. I am a redneck and I will be there, but a lot of nice, friendly, honorable HUMANS will there, too. I hope you stay home or choose a seriously dignified venue where you can stay abreast of the fine cultures available.

Does your computer not have uppercase type?

allvol32 writes:

I didn't used to believe that KNS planted trolls on this website but now I tend to believe that that's the only reason an obsessed nabob like CSS doesn't get banned.

He is either a plant or a seriously obsessed individual. If he's not a plant then - well he has OCD and is deserving of pity, hope you get to a shrink dude.

roloyo writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Throw in an elevator, instead of the 428 steps to my seats, and the 60% ramp just to get to to bottom of the grandstands ( and 117 back to the restrooms) and I'm all in. This year I think I'll pass. Shhhhooooo I'm already outta breath

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to roloyo:

Witch Doctor say IF you go, bring Witch Doctor back Pals Chili burger, frenchy fries and a Dr. Enuf! lol
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

PS. Witch Doctor say if you run across Spurrier, punch him in belly and say Witch Doctor says HI!
BNL

tnaseevol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Also, go by Ridgewood Bar B Que in Bluff City...greatest in East Tennessee.

Pals for hot dogs!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to tnaseevol:

Also, go by Ridgewood Bar B Que in Bluff City...greatest in East Tennessee.

Pals for hot dogs!

Witch Doctor lOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEE Ridgewood beans! Witch Doctor swear will kiss on lips person the person who thought of cole slaw on top of BBQ sandwich!Mmmmmmmmmm
Bones never lie.

tdforvols writes:

"Individual tickets for next month's race start at $90.".......
There's your problem right there: Greed. I used to work at Bristol back in the 80's when they only had about 40,000 seats and tickets were around $28.00. 40,000 x 28 is a lot less than 155,000 x 90 but at the time is was plenty enough for everyone involved to have a good time and remain profitable.

VolGrad writes:

in response to CroatianVol:

Actually, he is a great deal more than that.

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to taylorsvolfan:

What happened to the talk at one time of playing agame IN the speedway ?

Maybe the race on the football field. This kind of ticket deal should provide more rednecks at the football game. Just what UT needs.

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Turncoat, you are a UT fan. You admitted it last week in one of your posts. You are right about UT fans being crybabies, you are the Biggest one on this sight. In Vegas and in your opinion which one of these coaches would be fired, one that has a 97-20 record with one NC and 2 SEC Champs (10 and 10 against Bama & Fla) or one with a 57-32 record and no SEC Champs and 4 and 10 against Bama and FLA. That's what I thought Benedict. You are the worst UT fan on this site, a Turncoat.

VOLinATL writes:

While NSACAR is not my cup of tea, this seems like a good marketing ploy. Will be curious to see how many tickets are sold.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Those same odds makers had TN losing to FSU in the first BCS National Championship game, too. And don't get me started on how badly they said OSU would destroy Florida...or how badly USC would destroy Texas.

Yep...just maybe the odds makers enjoy slanting things so the house can always win.

Think about it...

NeylandWest writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Trust me, you don't enjoy our fans' dislike nearly as we enjoy knowing that a total POS like yourself spends her precious time on our site.

I can't stand the IRS, but you'll never see me trolling through their site, either.

hueypilot writes:

Wouldn't those Vandy odds be more like 1,000,000:1 or as Jim Carrey said in "Dumb and Dumber" "Okay, so you're telling me, I've got a chance."

PEYDAY writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

How in the world can you call Kiffin a Vol for life? You lost me there...