Slive: NCAA change is in the air

Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive is interviewed at his office at the SEC headquarters in Birmingham, Ala., Monday, July 18, 2011. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive is interviewwd at his office at the SEC headquarters in Birmingham, Ala., Monday, July 18, 2011. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive is well aware of the recent criticism of the NCAA — complaints about prolonged investigations and rulings that leave coaches and administrators scratching their heads.

He thinks change is coming.

“I have a sense that there are several of us that feel like change is important and addressing these issues from a national perspective is important,” Slive told The Associated Press. “And I fully expect that we will do that, and I fully expect that the SEC will make every effort to contribute to that discussion and hopefully the appropriate action following those discussions.”

The influential commissioner of a league that has won the past five national titles in football is more diplomat than maverick, but he also acknowledges there’s a “growing perception that things aren’t exactly as they ought to be in some ways.”

Slive wants to see quicker turnarounds for NCAA investigations, something that has been an issue in his own league, and supports beefing up the annual value of scholarships. He stops short of supporting paying players.

Slive addressed those issues and everything from a television contract that is the second-largest among college conferences to lingering questions about expansion in an interview ahead of SEC media days Wednesday through Friday.

The issue of lengthy investigations bubbled up at SEC meetings in June, when Tennessee coach Derek Dooley and Auburn’s Gene Chizik reportedly peppered NCAA vice president of enforcement Julie Roe Lach with questions about the conclusion of investigations at their respective schools. (Slive declined to address specific cases, including the Cam Newton pay-for-play saga involving Mississippi State and Auburn).

Tennessee is awaiting a ruling following a 22-month investigation into the football and men’s basketball programs. The NCAA’s investigation into Auburn’s recruitment of the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Newton apparently continues, though the university hasn’t received an official letter of inquiry.

Investigations also are ongoing at Ohio State, North Carolina and Oregon — Auburn’s opponent in the BCS championship game in January.

Slive said he’s optimistic that “positive changes” will be made in enforcement and other areas under NCAA President Mark Emmert. The NCAA already made changes in late June aimed at allowing enforcement staff to more easily put more people on an investigation when appropriate.

“I think what everyone wants — and this wouldn’t necessarily be restricted to coaches — is that when issues arise, that they be handled in a timely way,” Slive said. “And that’s not always easy when you’re dealing with a process that doesn’t have subpoena power and power to compel answers to interrogatories. My sense is that what Julie and Dr. Emmert are trying to do is find a way without those resources to reconfigure their staff and how they do things to try to address the question of timeliness.”

As for paying athletes, Slive doesn’t support essentially putting them on a university payroll, but thinks they should get the full cost of an education. The Big Ten has floated that idea, and NCAA President Mark Emmert and commissioners of the other five BCS conferences have said it merits study.

“Each institution through its financial aid office has a number that is the full cost at their campus,” Slive said. “I’m hoping and fully expect that that national discussion will take place and I for one hope that it will be adopted.”

Other issues facing Slive and the SEC include.

— The SEC’s groundbreaking 15-year, $2.25 billion TV deal with ESPN — not to mention a $55 million-a-year pact with CBS — signed in 2008 has been overtaken. The Pac-12’s new 12-year deal with Fox and ESPN is worth about $3 billion, which might prompt a renegotiation for the SEC.

“Obviously when we did our deal we set the pace, and in our contract we have a concept called look-ins,” Slive said. “At periodic points during the life of the contract, we can sit down with ESPN and take a look-in and look at the status of television, technology, all aspects of television, and at that point make adjustments that the parties agree are appropriate to make sure that everything that we intended to achieve with the contracts would in fact be available to us.”

—The talk of expansion has died down since last summer, when Oklahoma President David Boren said the SEC offered his school and Texas A&M spots in the league. Slive doesn’t dismiss the possibility of future expansion but said nothing is in the works.

“As we speak right now, there isn’t really anything going on,” he said. Then he repeated, “As we speak.”

He had previously said the SEC wouldn’t make such a move unless there was a “significant shift in the conference paradigm”? Nebraska joined the former Big Ten, while Colorado and Utah moved to the Pac-12.

“I don’t think (that) constituted a paradigm shift as I was defining them in my mind when I said it,” Slive said. “Obviously I think both of those leagues have helped themselves by what they’ve done. We will be always thinking about what is it that the SEC can or should do to make itself stronger. Whether or not that involves expansion, we’ll just have to wait and see.”

—The SEC also submitted proposals in June, in a letter obtained by AP, to relax some of the rules governing contact between coaches and recruits. That includes allowing coaches to text recruits and eliminating the rule against incidental contact by combining the recruiting periods for having contact with prospects and evaluating them.

“Instances of incidental contact, commonly referred to as `bumps,’ are a source for media reports questioning the integrity of college coaches, create the expectation that high school coaches arrange incidental contact during an evaluation period and place college coaches intent on following the rules at a distinct disadvantaged compared to those who act with disregard,” the letter states.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

wycoller writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

Is that a crystal ball you're using, or crystal meth?

easleychuck writes:

Trolls gotta troll. Maybe there could be a change in the SEC commissioner's office. That would be a breath of fresh air.

richvol writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

I seriously doubt that UT will be hit with a postseason ban of any type. Think again.

espender#273698 writes:

Me thinks SmokeytheBlueTickHoundDog is not a UT person,and should change his name to SmokinDopetheTroll. Gotta think this team will garner 8 wins miniumum and bowl somewhere, with no major sanctions. Basketball is another situation.

espender#273698 writes:

in response to easleychuck:

Totally agree. Less Mike Slime would be a breath of fresh air! Any truth to the rumor that Slime is the father of Slimebaum? Definitely one of those things that make you go, hmmm.

GerryOP writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

The ceZZpool getZ deeper.

jimr07 writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

and, the good news is there is no more bad news.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

I do not know why I am responding to this. He will not read it and even if He does read this, it will go in his head, circle around in his head for 5 minutes and then exit out the other ear.

Again, The UT compliance department was able to convince the NCAA that they had warned Coach not to make contact with any recruits. They were in correspondence with NCAA and were able to put much if not all of this on Kiffin. Unless there is something else out there, post season ban will not happen in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong!

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

There were some issues in the football side, but We will just have to wait and see. I do not think post season ban is the future. I have been wrong before though, but I just do not see it!

vols1979 writes:

I don't think we will get hit hard in football. The compliance office did a great job and most of the issues were with Kiffin. We could loose scholarships; but I don't think we will loose the post season.

Basketball is another story. We conspired to cover up a secondary violation, lied, and failed to monitor the program. After the fact, we did the right thing; but failure to monitor is serious.

I am looking forward to football; so we can stop whining about the past and celebrate/cry about the present.

Go Big Orange

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

Well There You Have It In A Nutt Shell.
What ever IT is is anyones guess. Is there anyone out there who can make any sense of this?
NO, proably not. Type ON!
GOVOLS!!!

espender#273698 writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

Yo, Smokey we got some quarterbacks, at least UT does. Maybe you're not talking about the same team that the rest of us are. What we do need is more defensive linemen/linebackers. Get those and we can be pretty darn good next year, going forward. You keep saying that"you guys need a coach", which makes me think further you're not a Vol.

Vol4Him writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

Yes, how right you are Smokey . . ., those two secondary violations under Kiffin were huge! I mean, grant it, Alabama just self-reported 44 secondary violations in the last two years. So, what are they getting in your world . . . a lifetime ban? Stick with your day job, loser.

Pompey writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

....wrong on both counts....

Vol4Him writes:

in response to espender#273698:

Espender, Nice thought on reasoning with Smokey . . . aka Loser. However, trolls don't even know what we have. Inside word says there is a good shot that a certain high profile QB is about to announce to us. Let's see that would be three years in a row. Shoot, I wish we could get a good QB, say one that won SEC player of the week two weeks in a row in his only four starts of the season.

RoadTrip writes:

Imagine that; a troll telling us our licensed attorney head coach who has a national championship ring as a coach under arguably the most successful coach currently in college football, with a couple years of NFL coaching experience as well as a couple year of AD experience - to the low life troll he is a Doofus. Do you really understand just how dumb you sound, Troll? Rock dumb.

Prostar writes:

I don't know why some of you think Smokey the Blue Tick Hound is one of us. He refers to Tennessee as his team, then call Coach Dooley (Doofus) not once but twice and later says "you guys".....Either you're for us or you're against us, I think he's the latter. I have a great deal of respect for CDD and his entire staff. He took over at a horrible time and is making UT better all the time. CDD is a professional, he comes from a well-respected SEC football family. I trust him to get us back on top the right way, the legal way, the no-short-cut way. GBO. Alas, also lost in all of this is Slive's comment that he favors schools paying the student-athlete the full cost of their education.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Prostar:

Vols and Prostar,

You are right. However, this is the latest fad.
WDD copies the real Witch Doctor's name.......
the envy thing, you know.

Now, another comes forward to try and be cute copying the name of Tennessee's mascot.

These people are desperate..............I wonder if there is another school in the NCAA that has as much attention from outsiders as does Tennessee?

agentorange writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

this is the last time I will address you. you need a life. go outside. ride a bike. talk to a female. go fishing. do something constructive with yourself, get offline and quit making an a-ss of yourself on this web site.

tnaseevol writes:

in response to DutchOrangeVolsOrange:

Even if it is all on Kiffin, TN will be the recipient of the penalties.

I am fearful, we are going to get the hammer, both in Football and Basketball.

Colliervol writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

After today's news, you probably should tend to your own knitting. Two words for you there kid. Mark Tyler. Nuff said. Looks to me like USC stands for the University of Sure Cash once again. But with Lame and Fast Eddie guiding the ship, what do you expect?

transplantiam writes:

Well, SmokeyTrollGatorLover, I've watched several reruns of games played last year and would like to counterpoint your points. First, I know you are jealous of CDD's hair, heck I'm jealous of CDDD's hair; just like probably half the board is, Second, as far as a coach standing on the sidelines nonchalantly ?sp? clapping his hands, well, just yesterday the rerun of the MCB was on and I saw our,(excuse me, Vol fans coach) coach throwing his headphones on the ground, a few times in madness because of the ref's idiot calls, and many times in congratulations for our team doing good on the field. I didn't see this man that you said was coaching our team acting as if he were having a conversation with the Pope as you suggested. I didn't see our coach standing on the sideline like your coach Oscar Meyer did the last two years of his tenure at Fl. So just go watch your new coaches and let us worry about ours, ok! BTW, We'll see on the third Saturday of September who's team is the better team, and I'd go so far as a friendly steak dinner with all the trimmings that say we are victorious that day! Care to take me up on that? I'd say, oh, $60 or so? That should cover it if you don't take the whole family, just you and your significant other.

GO VOLS!