Reveiz on Tampa Bay: 'This is where I'm supposed to be'

Nick Reveiz waiting on NFL

Tennessee line backer Nick Reveiz, center, lines up to defend against Ole Miss with teammates Eric Gordon, left, and Janzen Jackson, right, at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010.  The Vols defeated the Rebels 52-14.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee line backer Nick Reveiz, center, lines up to defend against Ole Miss with teammates Eric Gordon, left, and Janzen Jackson, right, at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010. The Vols defeated the Rebels 52-14.

The old poster in his childhood bedroom provided some early foreshadowing.

The legendary defensive coordinator who coached him for a season provided another sign of where he might end up.

Now that Nick Reveiz is officially a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, there's still one pertinent detail to sort out. Will the Tennessee product follow in the footsteps of his boyhood hero and Tampa Bay star Mike Alstott with a switch to fullback or use the defensive knowledge picked up from longtime Buccaneers guru Monte Kiffin and stick at his natural position at linebacker?

"The funny thing is that after Pro Day and the workout at fullback, we heard a lot more about fullback than we did about linebacker," Reveiz said by phone after reporting to Tampa on Tuesday night. "For me, I've always said I would do whatever it takes to get my foot in the door, but my preference is to play linebacker. That's what I want to do, that's what I'm passionate about and that's what I've been playing for five years.

"From what we understood, the Bucs have looked at me at fullback, but (Monday) night when we talked to them they talked about linebacker. That's such a huge blessing. I really feel like Tampa is where I'm supposed to be."

Reveiz still is open to a move to fullback, which would bring him full circle back to his days wearing Alstott's No. 40 in youth-league games. He's certainly more comfortable at linebacker, though Reveiz has also stressed repeatedly since his career with the Vols ended last December that cracking the rotation on special teams will probably be the first step anyway.

Tampa Bay can start sorting out that issue today when training camp finally opens, another reassurance that the lockout and labor issues are truly over after a lengthy period of uncertainty for undrafted free agents like Reveiz.

After getting passed over in April at the NFL draft, Reveiz and players in his situation couldn't have contact with coaches or scouts to get a better feel for what might happen when the situation was resolved. That forced a bit of scrambling and a lot of phone calls for Reveiz on Monday when a deal was reached, and in less than 24 hours he had verbally agreed to terms with the Buccaneers, signed a contract early Tuesday morning, hopped on a plane just after noon to Tampa — and then reported around 5:30 on Wednesday morning for a physical.

But even given the unusual circumstances surrounding his first taste of life as a professional, the signs still seemed to be pointing to one destination all along.

"I can't even describe the whirlwind," Reveiz said. "But you know what's funny? This is a true story, growing up, 10 years old, I had a Mike Alstott poster in my room. You can ask any of my friends, my parents, Mike Alstott was my guy. That was my hero, and he still is. Who knows? That would be a strange similarity. I guess we'll see.

"I think it could be another advantage for me just because I played under Monte, and obviously they have a similar defense because Monte basically created Tampa's defense. It's just a huge, huge thing — I feel like this is where I'm supposed to be."

No matter how long it took to get there, Reveiz never lost sight of the NFL as his destination this fall.

All that's left to figure out is exactly where he's supposed to be on the field now that's he arrived.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ut31#535576 writes:

Great job Nick.....a class act and a true overachiever.....very proud to say you're a Vol

Caspian writes:

If I was Nick, I wouldn't be worried about linebacker vs. fullback whatsoever. I'd just be glad to be "in" at this point.

clvolfan writes:

What a ridiculous article mentioning Monte Kiffin being here.He was barely here long enough to get his system in, let alone teaching much of anything. Matter of fact,looked like a carbon copy of Chavis 3rd and long for first down.If memory serves me correctly,Nick Reveiz was here for five years.

ut31#535576 writes:

Wow....these posts are ridiculous....Monte Kiffin and Reveiz were very close in Kiffin's short time here and I'm sure he was consulted by the Bucs before they signed Nick....anyone who doesn't praise Nick Reveiz cannot be a true Vol fan....and by the way genius, Reveiz had 11 solo tackles against North Carolina.....his leadership will be missed big time this year....maybe some of you guys will get to watch a few games this year and actually notice that

RoadTrip writes:

Pretty low class trolls on here. You are trashing a fine person and very good football player that could kick your tail to Nashville and back if he wanted to. But he won't be able to do it because you will hide behind your computer alias. He would probably just laugh at you for being pathetic losers anyway. For what its worth its not just Monte getting him in the door. But you wouldn't know that.

He makes the travel squad on special teams and back-up LB. If they have FB issues down the road he will practice at that role to see if there is a fit. Coach Morris is a straight shooter and knows what he is getting.

ole3putt writes:

If the tallent level had been decent when Reveiz was here he would have never seen the field. A classic overachieving good guy that will probably not play in the NFL.

ut31#535576 writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Are you referring to my post about Monte, "Roadtrip"....because I agree that even though I'm sure the Bucs talked to him about Nick, it was only a small piece of signing him....I agree with everything else you said

RoadTrip writes:

For what its worth he will start off playing the Mike in the Tampa Two in passing situations. A position he excelled at under Monte. His ability to get deep in the middle of the field on passes allows the safeties to cheat to the sidelines and underneath on crossing routes. He reads draw plays really well and he can out-quick the O-line with penetration in those situations.

Vols20 writes:

in response to Acadia_Vol:

You have definitely shown your ignorance with that post. The head coach doesn't make out the schedule. Derek Dooley will do a good job at Tennessee because he is building it on the right foundation. Go Vols!

mattnchatt writes:

Good luck to him. Hope he proves all the trolls wrong.

Voluvr writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

It's guys like you that he's been proving wrong his whole life....get in line.

smyrnavol writes:

in response to ut31#535576:

this has become... trollvolsextra. i can't even stay on the threads for more than 2 minuets anymore. prolly have more fun on trollgatorextra since all their trolls are on here

BillsBrother writes:

in response to Acadia_Vol:

I'm pretty sure that your picture is next to that definition.

PdxVol writes:

Dude, are you kidding me? This guy's gonna be the next Nick Reveiz!

PdxVol writes:

in response to ut31#535576:

I agree. Who knows? The true Vols fans might just be the next Nick Reveiz!

utvolfan writes:

in response to clvolfan:

If Nick thought Monte contributed to his development, he's entitled to mention him. Who are we to tell a former player (and a fine young man) who he should or should not acknowledge?!

utvolfan writes:

in response to Acadia_Vol:

Speaking of ignorance, how much do you know about loons? Your knowledge of geography and ornithology both seem to be a bit off. The loon is the state bird of MINNESOTA and is found in more northerly regions. It is a very interesting and attractive creature that has some quite remarkable athletic skills (e.g., swimming calmly on the water and then diving suddenly to catch its prey unaware). Or perhaps you meant the loon reference as a compliment?

John_10065 writes:

in response to Acadia_Vol:

Which recycled troll are you anyway? Did I miss a banning somewhere?

VolinDelaware writes:

in response to Acadia_Vol:

Why would a maroon like you choose to put Vol in your name? Whether you think a guy is good or has a chance to play is irrevelant. This guy gave his all for the Vols while he was here. Maybe he wouldnt have seen the field had we had better talent, thats not the point. A true Vol fan would be thankful the guy tried his best and wish him the best of luck at the next level. One thing we can all be sure of is that he has ten times the character, class and integrity that you do.

VolinDelaware writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Which is 2 to 3 weeks more than you ever had, I guess you didnt make the practice squad either.

gatorhator4eva writes:

trolls, what a pain in the as&.

AC_84 writes:

bunch of panzzy az punks yall dudes that diss the vols plz give me ya address if u really have the ballz ill come to u house and dare u to diss em to my face bunch of punk az internet gangsters

AC_84 writes:

trolls r punks....talking smack about a great guy like nick if any of u trolls had half the heart he had u would do something more with ya lives like nick has he has workrd darn hard to get to where he is and yall punks setting in ya fat mamas basement using there internet to get ya self MOIST over DA VOLS

usnavyvol writes:

in response to Acadia_Vol:

You seemed to have missed the water the boat is in. CLK/CMK/CDD/CFP..it does not matter who the coach is son...all that matters is that they are giving their all for UT..As for your remarks abour Nick...when was the last time you had a dream and actually went after it? Don't try and knock someone down when you are so far down yourself. Just because your life sucks, does not mean that's true for everyone else.

no1volman writes:

He will make the team
as a special teamer. Mark it down!

AC_84 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

actually there was no threat i just simply sayin u wouldnt say the stuff u say on this website to my face or any other of these vol vans

AC_84 writes:

you or any other trolls

AC_84 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

and speaking of fulmer... i backed him 100% he produced alot and plenty NFL talent keep UT high in AP polls thru his tenure took us to bcs bowls won a NC that was good nuff 4 me better then alot of other College Football coaches. and yes i do admitt time did pass him up and it was time for a change. Its OK UT VOLS WILL BE BACK ON TOP

chattavfl86 writes:

If nick had no chance to make the team tampa wouldn't have asked him to come. If you were part of a billion dollar industry like the nfl you wouldn't waste your time on someone who you thought had no talent. And monte kiffin is a defensive genius, regardless of who his son may be. Nick is plenty talented enough to play for tampa, a team that has worked its way up the ranks of the nfc to challenge for a playoff spot in a division that is one of the toughest and more talented in the league. Nick might have never played if we had more talent at linebacker, but often times good players get overlooked bc some idiots value star rankings from recruiting services over a mans pure desire to succeed. That's what nick has and that is why he is going to an nfl training camp. Css, acadia, and the rest of the naysayers need to lay off the haterade. Even if he only played special teams he would be getting to do something every little football playing kid dreams of.