Gerald Jones signs with the Philadelphia Eagles

Former Tennessee wide receiver Gerald Jones signed with the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday.

The undrafted rookie free agent had a career-high 55 receptions last season for 596 yards and four touchdowns. Overall, the 5-foot-10, 195-pound Jones caught 142 passes for 1,710 yards and 13 touchdowns during his UT career. He also rushed for 204 yards and three TDs.

While Jones was joining the Eagles, wide receiver DeSean Jackson was not at the team's first workout of training camp at Lehigh University.

Jackson, a two-time Pro Bowler, has expressed discontent with his contract on his Twitter feed. He will earn $565,000 in base salary this season, the last of his four-year rookie deal.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Congrats Gerald Jones. I only hope that he remains loyal to UT.

AlcoVOLic writes:

Details about Jackson are irrelevant...congrats to Jones, I'm hoping for great things for you!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

As an Eagles fan for over 40 years - I approve this message!

chattavfl86 writes:

As a cowboys fan this kinda sucks. The eagles already have good talent at receiver and g jones is a steal for them. Very underrated receiver.

voloffaith writes:

in response to NachoPappy_76:

Wasn't that basically heresay/rumor?

40cap writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Wasn't that basically heresay/rumor?

nope, GJ confirmed that he talked to recruits on Troops behalf, telling them what a great guy he is, all while he was still in school on UT's dime. Yeah he's real loyal.

CincyOhVol writes:

in response to AlcoVOLic:

The details about Jackson are not irrelevant. Just because you sign with a team doesn't mean that you've made the team.

The fact that Jackson was not in camp implies that Jones has a better shot at making the team.

TLepage writes:

in response to CincyOhVol:

not with a 4.7 forty.... not a good fit for them... that system likes/requires speed at that position... I.e. Desean and Maclin... I appreciate everything G. Jones did for UT (up until the trooper taylor/Gabe Wright fiasco), but when you look at him as a prospect he just isn't athletic enough to make a NFL roster...

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to TLepage:

G Jones isn't the deept threat, he wasn't even the deep threat at UT. He is a possession receiver. His hands, not speed is what will get him on a final roster. But with Vick at QB, there probably won't be a need for a 5-10 yard dump pass or slant pattern. Vick will just tuck and run if he is in danger.
and not athletic enough??? Haha, your joking right?

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Wasn't that basically heresay/rumor?

I think it happened. Jones confirmed that there was a "conversation" between him and Gabe Wright. I think Jones was trying to be honest and give some advice to GW, but Trooper Taylor was manipulating the situation from the very beginning. I believe that GW's mom was leary of Auburn and Trooper with the Cam Newton situation, and she liked Dooley (like a lot of parents would as opposed to a Trooper Taylor/ Ed Orgeron). Also, I think GW liked the notion of playing early at UT, which was a guarantee due to our lack of depth at DT. Wright was torn between going to UT or Auburn, and Troop went to Jones to do the dirty work.

I'm actually glad Gabe Wright chose Auburn. He said "there's no way Auburn goes 5-7. What are we? Tennessee?" I'll take my chances with Tiny Richardson rolling him over 20 yards down the field.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to jcherrie#219531:

As an Eagles fan for over 40 years - I approve this message!

I hear your Beagles also signed Vince Young. Good luck with that! GO VOLS, GO COWBOYS!

There is more to athleticism than mere straight-ahead speed. Jones has sneaky quickness, the ability to change direction, and excellent hands. I'm not saying he will make the Eagles team or any other, but he has as much chance to make it as any other comparable signee.

I am a bit surprised that Jackson doesn't make more than he does. He has a very rare kind of game-changing ability both receiving and returning. The Eagles would be well-advised to try to make it up to him soon, and make that intention known to him in no uncertain terms.

KevDVol writes:

in response to AlcoVOLic:

Actually, Jones is leverage. Jackson (5'10'' 175 lbs) can see that the team is prepared to move on with or without him. Gerald Jones might not be there if the WR position was all set. If Jones makes the squad, losing or keeping Jackson at the end of this season might not be as big of a problem.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to SmokeyTheBlueTickHoundDog:

Speaking of not knowing what to say, the last time I was in Southern California I found it very difficult to say "Sir" or "Ma'am" b/c I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to NeylandWest:

Don't let him lure you into the Southern Cal thing. He's not a USC fan, but he is obsessed with a hatred of UT for whatever reason.

TommyJack writes:

Good for GJ. I know this. We would have lost a couple for games last season w/o his crucial 3rd down grabs.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to DalTexVol:

You're right. He's the guy that Karma grabs by the pony tail and fails to give a courtesy reach around to while all the other prisoners laugh at his most unpleasant set of circumstances.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Even though there is controversy surrounding GJ, I still wish him luck in his NFL career, as I do all ex-Vols.

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to DalTexVol:

So I see, thanks for the heads-up.

TLepage writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

and not athletic enough??? Haha, your joking right?

not joking... there is a reason he didn't get drafted....

3volfan writes:

for those with the "not getting drafted or just because you sign doesn't mean your on the team" comments. let me remind you that last years leading rusher in the NFL (No Fun League, btw), was none other than...............arian foster. A ROOKIE FREE AGENT!!!!! practice squad player that paid his dues. i say kudos to nick and gerald, and do like arian and prove them wrong!!!!!!!!!!! GBO!!!!!!

DalTexVol writes:

in response to jcherrie#219531:

So I see, thanks for the heads-up.

That was a nice understated response. Gotta give it to you on that! Ha!

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to 40cap:

GJ was coached by Trooper at UT. I am sure there were several recruits that not only asked him about Trooper, but several others. If you like a coach, there is not harm in telling the truth about how they liked him and the way he coached. Trooper spent a lot of time in Knoxville, one was shown on a local TV Station, where they were at a car wash, so this wasn't under the table. Should he have done it, well at the time he was the only one at UT telling the truth. My High School Coach died just recently, even though he was from my home town he went to a school that I cannot stand and then went onto college at Ole Miss. UT wanted both him and his twin brother, but UT was running the Single Wing and he wanted to play for a t Formation Team, as he was one halfback and his brother was the other halfback at Ole Miss. If asked, I would have to say he was the "BEST COACH" I ever played for and had he went to another school in our conference, I would have told any kid who asked that he was the best coach in the conference. GJ just told the truth to a question he was asked. As we have seen lately, the truth will set you free and not in the NCAA Office!!

chattavfl86 writes:

in response to DalTexVol:

Damn straight, a man after my own heart. Not too many vol/cowboys fans out there

chattavfl86 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Are you serious? A nice, intelligent post from css without all the bitterness and hatred for ut? I must admit myself to be vexed. I can even agree with you about him not being a big factor for us throughout his career. After a very solid freshman season he was pretty disappointing overall until the back end of last year. Good post css, I knew you could do it. Anyone who has something negative to say about the sheagles is ok in my book

VOLliven2it writes:

After all is said and done, I hope to see G.Jones playing on Sunday. I don't care what Trooper Taylor made him do and all that nonsense. He played his heart out last year and that's good enough. Time will tell what happens with the Eagles.

jballer writes:

TLepage- he didnt get drafted because of injuries. I played with G....rec basketball and UT football. Ive never met someone more athletic than Gerald Jones in my entire life and I am not exaggerating.