West kicker George Bullock commits to Tennessee

West kicker George Bullock scored on this kick against Christian Academy of Knoxville during the Knoxville Orthopaedic Clinic Kick-Off Classic at Neyland Stadium Friday, Aug 13, 2010. West defeated CAK 3-2.

Photo by Adam Brimer

George Bullock

George Bullock

George Bullock didn't need scholarship offers galore.

He had eyes for just two schools: Navy and Tennessee.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound kicker from West High School received an offer from Navy in late June.

On Friday it was UT's turn and Bullock committed.

He called Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney on Friday night and gave his pledge.

He became the 12th commitment for Tennessee's Class of 2012 and the second local commitment. Central athlete Cody Blanc committed last Friday.

Bullock's infatuation with Tennessee is easy to understand, given where he resides.

"Growing up in Knoxville, I've always been a Tennessee fan," said Bullock. "They've always been on my radar. For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to kick for Tennessee."

But with Navy, it stems from his family. His grandfather graduated from the Naval Academy. His uncle played football for Navy.

"Also, growing up, I've been interested in serving my country," said Bullock. "I figured with Navy's academics and big football, that would be a good option, too. I liked the coaching staff up there, as well. All of their facilities were top of the line.

"And, so, it was basically just between those two schools. "

Tennessee recruited Bullock for his kickoff and placekicking abilities, West coach Scott Cummings said.

Last season, Bullock booted 86 percent of his kickoffs into the end zone. That average included a nice amount of onside kicks.

Bullock has since added five yards and a few tenths to his hang time.

"He's kicking it 70-75 yards with a 3.9 hangtime right now," said Cummings. "That's his average."

Bullock, once a special-teams pupil of former Tennessee kicker James Wilhoit, went to an abundance of college camps during the summer to perform under an intense spotlight.

He also lodged for three weeks at a Mike McCabe kicking camp in Prattville, Ala., training alongside and learning from Division I kickers.

"He's really done a great job trying to be as professional as he can be at his young age," said Cummings. "He hit the weights. He really tried to work on his technique this summer with the best possible people he can work with."

Since Bullock can summon touchbacks with ease, he and Cummings and worked out an agreement to help avoid complacency — for every kickoff that Bullock sends through the uprights, he'll receive a sticker for his football helmet.

That may seem trivial.

It's anything but.

"Hey," said Cummings, "you'd be amazed at what a kid does for a sticker."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

RaineyVol writes:

good pick up

Huttdawg100 writes:

Congrats GB!!! Welcome aboard...

On another note: Damien Jacobs committed a couple days ago. I don't see how that wasn't news worthy. Here's his rivals profile:

chattavfl86 writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Congrats GB!!! Welcome aboard...

They mentioned it but just like with anything that is related to recruiting, it was a gvx247 thing that required ($) to read

mountainbrook writes:

in response to Papermate_Chinese_Bandit:

Sour grapes taste bad don't they.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to Papermate_Chinese_Bandit:

bengal quality, now that is funny.
You took our reject DC.
3rd and Chavis!!!

Pullingguard writes:

With limited scholarships to give and with a freshman punter and a soph kicker and punter its hard to understand why UT would have this person as priority or even being considered.
Now he may be talented, but UT really does not have that need.

RoadTrip writes:

We recruited him because Palardy was injured last year and has been slow in recovering. And for the LSU troll, because he was in your boys' camp and kicked well.

TommyJack writes:

Thrilled we signed another kicker.

VolzsFan writes:

Just ate up a scholarship with the second best kicker in Knoxville. The guy at Farragut is better.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

bengal quality, now that is funny.
You took our reject DC.
3rd and Chavis!!!

Some users consider this comment inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

This is a nice post from another of the dumbest fanbase in America. LSU keeps winning 10+ games per year, multiple National Titles and Tenn fans who will never reach that again for 25+ years is talking smack? Seriously. A guy that has a top 5 ranked defense everywhhere he goes. A guy Georgia just offered almost $1 mill per year to? I guess all those great rankings and job offers from actual coaches tell us he cannot coach. This while they watch UT running about 16 kids out to play defense. Just to funny.

1965Vol writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Scholarship isn't gone until the kid signs a LOI. Your post is ignorant nonsense.

Titan writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Now he may be talented, but UT really does not have that need.

This confirms what we've been hearing - that the coaching staff isn't convinced that either Palardy or Darr is what we need. Kicking game is too important. If the coaching staff thinks this is what it takes to solidify our kicking game, I'll gladly spend a scholarship on it.

1965Vol writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Speaking of "dumbest fanbase," did you mean "Just too funny?" Lil' ZZGataBoy, you continue to display your ignorance.

CoverOrange writes:

Palardy will be a soph this year. Next year, with Bullock on campus and redshirting, Palardy will be a junior. Bullock will have three years left after Palardy departs. Good kickers don't grow on trees. Fulmer let a good player from Alcoa get away because we were supposedly full up on WRs and QBs at the time.

VOLHolla writes:

in response to Papermate_Chinese_Bandit:

and you have better information than the guy who researches high school players for a living?

you are as goofy as your head coach

DocJas writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Now he may be talented, but UT really does not have that need.

Please fill us in on how you know what is and what is not going on with the current kickers at UT. I mean I know you are the know all of recruiting (which is why they offered you the HC job before you turned it down) but tell me where your inside info comes from.

DocJas writes:

All everyone has to do to slow down the trolls in hit suggest removal of every one of their post. Do it every time to every one of their post.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to DocJas:

Well smart one you tell me how the coaching staff knows what the kickers and punters are doing since during the off-season there is "not suppose to be any coach evaulation" only conditioning. And only recently Dooley spoke positively about both the kicker and punter in house.. And to add insult to your inquiry...I also think they could have done better than the recently commit from Central.

Voluvr writes:

Here's a nugget! Khalid Henderson is Domination.

Voluvr writes:

Can't eat just one! Imani Cross.

Voluvr writes:

Here's one for the Dooley Doubters. Marlin Lane

GardenGnome writes:

70-75 yds with a 3.9 hang time sounds like good kicking stats to me. Welcome to the team kid and congratulations to Coach Cummings for finally putting West High football on the map.

2-10 for the Vols this year??... Both you trolls are wasting your breath. Go post your BS on a site where people are interested in your pen*s envy.

DocJas writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

You can take what you "think" and 2 bucks and buy a cup of coffee with it. I would say he gets paid to eval players and you get a sore butt from sitting here eval players. I trust CDD's eval a whole lot more than your eval. Tell me though, why did you turn down all those head coaching jobs that were offered you?

VOLliven2it writes:

Well I see lots of experts on here regarding our kicking game. I'm glad we also have a coaching staff to make calls. I am always glad to see a local guy coming on board. So I am happy for him. If you experts are all so good, you go talk those 5 6 7 stars guys into coming to Knoxville.

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

in response to Papermate_Chinese_Bandit:

Yep, his IQ was to high for the Tigers

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to bfowler1161#262198:

Yep, his IQ was to high for the Tigers

Exactly, he can read and write if Navy was in the running.

Willis writes:

35 DAYS TILL FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!!!

Pullingguard writes:

in response to DocJas:

Why wouldn't I turn coaching positions down when I presently have one of the most sought after positions that can be imagined..From here one can see the strengths and weakness of the actions without being held responsible for the results... Now you have a good day..

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Last time I checked West Point is Army, and the Naval Academy in Annapolis is, well, Navy. Looks like Grandad should have stepped in to teach you a little about our armed forces. Wow.

GardenGnome writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

The Naval Academy (Navy) is in Annapolis, Maryland. West Point (Army) is in West Point, New York. You're about 300 miles off.

WTH are you talking about?

pingkr62 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Who are you referring too? If it's the kicker from West High, He had an offer from Navy, not Army. Again, C.S.S.you are showing your ignorance. G.B.O.

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to Papermate_Chinese_Bandit:

Not LSU quality huh?

Well...let me inform you that I personally know your former kicker who was just picked up by Tampa Bay on Tuesday. Josh was not offered a scholarship by any major D1 school - including UT where he wanted to go - until he received a late call from Les Miles, desperate for a kicker.

The undersized QB/Kicker from Memphis, Tennessee became a 2-time All American and the 2nd best kicker in SEC history.

You'd have said the same thing about him 4 years ago.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Congrats GB!!! Welcome aboard...

That'll be a good pick up. I've said all along it is important while we're rebuilding to get some JUCO players. Keep em coming!

Go Vols!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

VANDY FAN!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH...I HAVENT LAUGHED IN DAYS...THANKS CSS

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

I won't even comment on the obvious point everyone else has. Learn to read, and perhaps buy a map.

If football means so little, why are you here every day? Hmmm... guess it does mean something.

Poor life decision??? I'll bet your parents say the same thing about having you every day. You're the inspiration for twin beds.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Congrats GB!!! Welcome aboard...

It was in the news. You must have missed seeing it. I like the kid, he is big, strong and fast for a big man. Looks like a great get. we need him Monday but he will enroll in Jan.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Didn't realize that we needed another kicker, but what do I know?? Anyway, sounds like he has some skills, and he sounds inteligent if Navy was his other choice.

I know it is just high school football, but his numbers are really impressive..I think his numbers were higher than Palardy's in high school if I'm not mistaken, except for maybe his FG distance.

Smokey is still on the prowl for more players wanting to wear orange..He is searching REALLY HARD for more DT's....

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

I can't agree that this was a good pick up. I would think that we should concentrate on off. and def. linemen. JMO

Ironcity writes:

Thank goodness we had two kickers last year. I will never complain giving a kicker a scholly. Nothing sucks more then watching your team play its heart out only to watch your kicker chunk it right or knock it right into an armpit,or watching your punter rip a 30 yd punt with 1 second hang time at a critical juncture of the game.

I hope this kid is everything our coaching staff thinks he is. One other thing a kid like that will do wonders for the team GPA

orangecountyvols writes:

Bandit,

Just wanting to give you some credit here. You finished with far more class than several other posters ( those we refer to as trolls, such as CSS, WDD, the 2 a.m. poster AKA Acadia,etc.)

We seldom see many posters from the SEC West, mainly Alabama fans.....RollTideJoe is probably the best from that group.

Anyway, you're the Chinese Bandit.......are any of you the "Go Team, or White Team?" I used to listen to the Tigers years ago and I believe the announcer's name was Charley McAlexander. He was a really fair and very good announcer.

Titan writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

How ironic - Commodore is a naval term but obviously CSS has proven that the Candy Commodores can't tell their Navy from their Army. CSS - that was an all time classic goof ball comment - even considering the source. BTW - is learning to spell eductain at Vandy a graduate level course?

DocJas writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

I always have a good day. Life is good when you have GOD leading the way. Yeah I could say that about my position on here but in reality its a job. LOL