David Climer: Gordon Gee dropped Ohio State harder than Vanderbilt

During his tenure as chancellor at Vanderbilt, Gordon Gee disbanded the Commodores’ athletics department and completely revamped the way the university did intercollegiate athletics business.

Considering the recent developments on his watch at Ohio State, the NCAA might do the dirty work for him this time.

When he made the sweeping changes at Vanderbilt in 2003, including but not limited to the elimination of the athletics director’s position, Gee wrote that “many athletic departments exist as separate, almost semi-autonomous fiefdoms within universities.” Boy, did he nail that one.

Unfortunately, Gee lost his religion when he left Vanderbilt for his second tour of duty as president of Ohio State University — I’m sorry, The Ohio State University — in 2007. At Vanderbilt, he kept athletics on a tight leash. At Ohio State, he let the tail wag the dog.

Continue reading on The Tennessean.

FearlessFreep writes:

Climer can be hit or miss, but he's nailed this one. Problems at both Ohio State and Tennessee can be attributed to a lack of strong leadership. Whether either institution will hold those individuals accountable remains to be seen. Given their own free will, the answer is definitely no - there's too much money at stake.

The big question is whether the NCAA will start to assign blame at these levels - that's the only way to truly 'clean-up' college athletics. You won't fix the system by firing coaches. Only when the ADs and Presidents are called out will it ever change.

Orange_Scooter writes:

Eliminating the AD position at Vanderbilt is like eliminating the extra security guard position at a second rate garbage dump- the AD position at Candy isn't really all that important and neither is their athletics program. That changed when he landed at a school that actually cares about the foosball. He got in over his head. Perhaps he should go back to Music Row. They LOVE him! GOOO DOOOOOOORRRRRREEEEEESSSSS! WWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

feathersax writes:

Gee(whiz) was a lil' pipsqueak at vandie & is doing an encore at (an)ohio school. Hey gordy, is that silly bowtie tightening 'round your scrawny neck?

easleychuck writes:

Did Tressel fire Gordie on his way out the door?

Einstein writes:

To be clear it is:

the ohio state university.

They are definitely not the Little Sisters of the Poor although they play them this year. Look at their schedule.

Will Terelle Pryor turn pro and go into a supplement draft? The bigger question is "Can He Afford The Salary Cut He Will Receive As A Professional Football Player Over What He Makes At the ohio state university.

TheOpinion writes:

When we beat Vandy this year its gonna be like taking Vandy from a baby.

pomp_and_circumstance writes:

David Climer has a tough row to hoe. How can he pursue his moral high road calling to bash UT and the SEC, with all that stench from a state college in Ohio filling the air like volcano ash?

murrayvol writes:

When the Tressel story was in it's fetal stages, G. Gee said "I hope he (Tressel) doesn't fire me." Pathetic on a grand scale.

easleychuck writes:

in response to murrayvol:

"Did Tressel fire Gordie on his way out the door?"

That is why I posted the above, earlier in the thread.

BluezVol writes:

I've never been much of an Ohio State fan (unless they played the muslims) but I'm glad they got what was coming to them. USC is next and afterwards - Awbarn. Don't be surprised if Oregon is on the outter reaches of the NCAA's radar screen. The NCAA has become/is the great equalizer amoung college powerhouses similar to a socialistic government on the groups (classes) of people - spread the misery and level the mediocrity.

jamgod writes:

in response to BluezVol:

What does that even mean?.." unless they played the muslims." Freakin' idiot in every room I suppose.....

1vavolfan writes:

Coulnd't be happening to a better group of people.

voloffaith writes:

in response to bigorangegoon:

Well BOG you hit the loudest FOUL today as my memory serves me. Abusive(CK), obscene(CK), and defamatory(CK). Have to give you a d- for abuse of animals and waste materials tho.....

TKO writes:

Buck'em

voloffaith writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

So ewe not only check our website ,but vandy also? Styx song titled,'Too Much Time On My Hands' seems to be a fit 4u possibly...just sayin you be spreading the love all around the SEC teams. Do you use same poster name all websites?

That success you speak of is baseball related and that pretty much is it. But have a lil fun at our expense and enjoy the day...your grade is a D+.

Voluvr writes:

IF I were recruiting against Vandy, I'd say they're not committed to winning...they don't even have an AD.

They have always been sports stupid.

Pompey writes:

in response to VOLstuckINky:

......that's the conclusion of every story.....

Pompey writes:

.....I don't give a d--n about Vanderbilt, Ohio State..."the" or otherwise, or David Climer, and I don't no a soul who does!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I don't think David Climer has ever written a positive story, and probably has never had a positive thought in his head. He approaches every story with a "kick 'em while they're down" mentality. However, since it's not my team being kicked this time, I think he nailed it.

VolfanClinton writes:

in response to Voluvr:

They have always been sports stupid.

Vanderbilt is doing alot better than Tennessee. The Baseball team nationally ranked and the Basketball team usually makes the NCAA tounament...ok... the football team is terrible...but still not bad for not having an athletic department !!

murrayvol writes:

in response to easleychuck:

"Did Tressel fire Gordie on his way out the door?"

That is why I posted the above, earlier in the thread.

I noticed after posting chuck.

Expect someone will be along to fire Gee and Smith very soon.

Orange_Scooter writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Jort trolls should probably think real hard before accusing others of being sad. I mean, really, whats sadder, me poking fun at Vandy, or a guy that obsesses over his opponent enough that he trolls their board 24/7? I dunno, if your jorts aren't tight enough perhaps you'll figure that one out.

AlcoVOLic writes:

in response to Einstein:

To be clear it is:

the ohio state university.

You're not much of an Einstein, buddy. Ohio State is the only school pompous enough to emphasize the most common word in the English language to make themselves feel important. Try these on for size:

The University of Tennessee
The University of Michigan
The University of Alabama
The University of California
The University of Texas
The Pennsylvania State University
The University of Iowa
The University of Oklahoma

They aren't special, just arrogant

OwensboroVol writes:

The truth is Jimmy Cheek and Mike Hamilton are the only constants in the problems Tennessee has had with the NCAA. They should both be terminated. Everyone wants to blame Bruce Pearl for everything but, and I don't condone these things, his only violations were minor in nature until he lied. If the other two had been on the job the way they should have, it would have been picked up very early and never have evolved into the problem it is,