Simple for Dooley: 'If we get fired around here, it better be for losing'

DESTIN, Fla. - Like most SEC coaches here this week, Derek Dooley largely stayed away from specifics when prompted about Ohio State coach Jim Tressel's recent controversy-filled resignation.

Dooley and his coaching brethren were nearly unanimous in their feelings that Tressel's departure was inevitable because of how he misled NCAA investigators, but none used the opportunity to pass judgment.

There was enough knowledge, though, for a little self-reflection.

"It reminds you of the responsibility of what you have and it's something I try to remind our players," Dooley said. "It's the responsibility they have and how to represent this place because it doesn't take much for something bad to happen."

When the NCAA Committee on Infractions levies its penalties months after next week's hearing in Indianapolis, Dooley will likely be the coach of a program hampered by sanctions. Because the two violations alleged against the Vols' football program are pinned exclusively on former coach Lane Kiffin and members of his staff, the limitations placed on Dooley's current enterprise aren't anticipated to be severe, but the helpless feeling lingers because it's now out of everyone at UT's hands.

That's why Dooley said he's not sleeping at the wheel with what he can control in the present.

So far under Dooley's watch, the football program has self-reported two secondary violations - one for an inadvertent Facebook wall post made by Dooley to a prospective student-athlete, and another for accidentally providing a recruiting host with an extra $15 per diem.

In a unique, perhaps pre-emptive, decision at the end of last season, Dooley suspended cornerback Art Evans for five games because he fell behind on his car payments.

UT athletic director Mike Hamilton has stressed that secondary violations of this nature are inevitable because of the complexity of NCAA rules. How coaches attack these natural occurrences is also a complex process, Dooley said, because, more often than not, a rumor of impermissible behavior is often just that - a rumor.

"If there's enough things floating around you, you probably should do something. It's hard," Dooley said. "I always go back to parenting. Whenever I kind of get in a bind, I just try to say 'All right, if this was my son, what would I do? Would I do this? Or would I go attack it?'

"When you turn a blind eye to matters, it can lead to things you never dreamed could happen."

One way Dooley and his staff have introduced their presence more into their players' off-the-field lives is through Dooley's Vol for Life (VFL) program. Coordinated by former UT standout Andre Lott, the program has already put players through ride-alongs and a training seminar with the Knoxville Police Department. The program has also educated players on topics such as balancing a check book and making the most of UT's alumni network.

Dooley said he recently met with Lott to modify the VFL program's summer curriculum.

One of the items on the agenda is to have a number of speakers on campus to talk about the latest hot-button issues that have landed players and programs in hot water.

"We're far from where we need to be," Dooley said. "That's certainly the things that we're trying to - I wouldn't say control - but try to educate our players.

"It's easy when you're a player to get lost in your world and not realize the impact that your actions can have on an entire university and fanbase. It's no different than people who sit behind the computer screen and they start doing things and they don't see the consequence."

No matter how proactive they try to be, Dooley and his coaches can't be every player's shadow from sunrise to sunset. Problems and bad behavior - even of the unintentional nature - are bound to crop up at a program the size of UT's.

It's just a matter of how it's handled once the news reaches an authority figure.

"I've told our coaches, if we get fired around here, it better be for losing," Dooley said. "Just look in the last year, (Mark) Mangino, (Jim) Leavitt, (Mike) Leach, Tressel. Phenomenal football coaches. I hope I can win the way any one of them did.

"(They) have all been fired for something totally unrelated to winning and losing."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SEC1 writes:

BigBadVol writes:

I really think CDD is the right man for the job. VFL!

BigBadVol writes:

A troll is the first to post. Please get a life. Pathetic.

eVOLved writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

A troll is the first to post. Please get a life. Pathetic.

BigBad, you are correct. Isn't it ironic. I'll point out the loser probably made tittering, giggling noises as he realized he was quick to the draw.

Anyway, I'm proud of Dooley. Compare this feeling to what we had when Kiffin was embarassing us (and I was banned as CrazyVolFan for saying Kifin's antics were embarassing when they were happening. I support the caution they're now showing after that mind control, even if it means we have to see some trolls without a life now and again).

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to SEC1:

worry about your own misfortunes troll. after muschump goes 0-3 against half-azzz-u, he'll be canned.

our program is miles apart from some. CDD suspends a player for missing a car payment and flar-duh can't kick players off for threatening homicide and DUI.

born2ride writes:

Dooley will win more games this season because the non-conference schedule is weak. We have more experience and Dooley will not make as many coaching mistakes.

When Dooley is replaced depends on how long UT fans accept mediocre football teams.

If we hold Dooley to the same standards as Fulmer he won't be around long.

VolNationPride writes:

in response to born2ride:

If we hold Dooley to the same standards as Fulmer he won't be around long.

Our schedule is no more weak than previous years. Every major school in America plays cupcakes. Every year, there will be atleast 3 teams on a schedule that is like that. Remember, Fulmer lost to Montana, so he too scheduled cupcakes.

The man hasn't coached two seasons yet and you say he is mediocre? So I guess he should have came in with that depleted roster and won a NC his first year?

Sure are some geniuses around here.

1Volunteer writes:

in response to SEC1:

You have an uncanny ability to make sports predictions; maybe the best in the South. Did you predict Auburn's heroic 1 point win over Alabama last November? I think the Tide's crash and burn was the worst in SEC history. Do you agree?

TSCinSFO writes:

I find it bizarre that a coach would punish a player for being late on car payments. Most of these kids come from poor backgrounds with no help from their families. Since they can't get a job the only way to pay for anything is school loans. I will admit I think Dooley was a horrible hire, way over his head, made mistakes that costs the Vols games last season, and until he beats the big boys of the SEC nothing will change my mind. But punishing a kid 5 games for late car payments is showing me he has no empathy either. Winning on the field is one thing, but he's not winning me off the field either.

flatrock writes:

in response to SEC1:

You are one sad individual. My money says you are a closet Vanderbilt fan who has "adopted" Alabama as your "big brother"...May not have ever attended an SEC game, other than at Dudley Field...got Roll Tide decals on your truck, but sleep in Vandy tee-shirts.

flatrock writes:

in response to TSCinSFO:

The only thing horrible about the Dooley hire was that it didn't happen a year earlier. His game-losing mistakes that you mentioned have now been documented as officiating errors- thus rules changes. My guess is that Art Evans'
situation may have bordered on a rules violation. Better safe, than sorry. Many of the athletes qualify for Pell Grants, but fail to figure out that they need to budget instead of blowing thru the funds in September and then
scrambling in October, November and December.

TSCinSFO writes:

@flatrock...Only the bowl game was a result of a bad rule and changed. And if there's a rule violation UT needs to say so and not leave it in the air to embarrass this kid. You don't have the details and neither do I except for what's quoted in the article so saying this guy blew his money his worse than not knowing the facts at all.

kyletrktr writes:

in response to TSCinSFO:

You might be the only person who feels that way about Dooley's off-the-field coaching. Honestly, I've had die-hard alabama, florida, and auburn fans tell me they wish their coach did some of the things dooley does. Not to be mean, but I think you are over-analyzing the article. You are using one example from one article, written by one person, to summarize how good Dooley is off-the-field. You should think about everything else he has done at UT also.

ETownVol writes:

in response to born2ride:

If we hold Dooley to the same standards as Fulmer he won't be around long.

Some people should have to take an IQ test before being allowed internet access and score at least a 60. Maybe then we'd see more intelligent posts. The man's had one season with less than desirable circumstances. At least give him a chance to turn this program around before you send him to the gallows. It won't happen overnight... especially with the mess that was left behind by his predecessor(s).

CroKev writes:

Some of these violations - $15 too much for a per diem, Facebook entries, getting a free tattoo, etc. All this while the NCAA is taking in tens of millions, the Bowl games (Fiesta and who knows who else) are throwing cash around like there's no tomorrow, the BCS padding their pockets instead of allowing a playoff, etc. The hypocrisy is overwhelming! If I miss a car payment, does that mean I cannot work for 5 weeks? It's just so "over the top" with the NCAA.

Spurrier's idea of giving the players $300/game sounds good. Most players will never see the pros but will still endure the aches and pains of having played decades later.

Finally, it just seems that the major problem is not reporting or even lying about small infractions after the fact. You can get away with almost anything as long as you report it right away (or at least not lie about it when you're caught!). However, if you have a couple of guys over to your house for some hotdogs and lie about it, you lose almost a million dollars in salary and get fired. The moral of the story: "Be honest about your dishonesty."

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

All these trolls simply FEAR our Tennessee Vols as they see CDD rebuilding us back into a national powerhouse.

I laugh at their childish posts most of the time but I feel sorry for people like them that have no real life at all and must have been kicked off their teams chat sites.

I hope that all the trolls will soon have a Psych Eval and get the mental help they so obviously need.

IMO, CDD is doing a great job and has us moving back up in the right direction.

The job of a head coach involves LOTS more than most of us know and it's LOTS more than just coaching football on and off the field so I'll try to be patient over the next 3 or 4 years and watch as CDD puts more things in place for the VFL program and coaches us back onto the national football powerhouse stage.

VFL...GO BIG ORANGE !!!

CCLC writes:

Off topic .....but Butch Davis has the same warm up suit as CDD wears, except he doesn't have that orange "T" on his hat.
just sayin'

CCLC writes:

in response to kyletrktr:

Seriously? Evans (a senior) is buried on the depth chart.This was saber rattling by Dooley.
Evans production to date.
Statistics UT AT TT TL S Int BR FR
2010 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0
2009 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0
Career 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0

GotthegReenlight writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

wait...who was the coach when we lost to wyoming?,,,o that's right, every vol fans hero and the one they will compare to every other coach we will ever have...fulmer

GotthegReenlight writes:

in response to VolNationPride:

Sure are some geniuses around here.

Our schedule IS weaker than in previous years...opening with oregon, cal, ucla. It is not only that, but that we have 8 home games!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

To me at least, I find it interesting that so many individuals who are not even Tennessee fans make the effort to research statistics, records,
news articles etc.................all about the Vols. What does that tell us?

We understand the trolls such as "Mama", CSS/himself,or anyone else, the kid-SEC1, Bodeane, INDESTRUCTIBLE ,etc are going to continue to be just that....trolls, because they crave the attention.

However, to enjoy this site, I've discovered it is a lot more enjoyable to recognize who the trolls are, and to simply ignore anything you see under their names.

People like the Doctor, Naval Orange, Rockytoprenegade, Former Marine, Tennvolalum,Allvols4life, Gerry,Volunatic,Prowlinandgrowlin,
Ellerbee123, Dutchorange..........to name just a few, ............thanks for being on the ball.

CCLC writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

news articles etc.................all about the Vols. What does that tell us?

In defense of non-Vol fans. Looking up stats is simple and fast. One should be informed if one is to post correctly. I knew Fulmer didn't get beat by Montana. ;-) It is SEC football after all ....the off season...SEC fans are often the most involved. As long as it's polite and in good humor... what's the harm?

UTVOL2001 writes:

I am so thankful for CDD! He will do great things, there is no doubt in my mind! It is funny watching these posts because no matter the article and the topic, there are always overly negative comments. I work with people like this and their life is sad. It makes me sick that we have "fans" like this. Go find someone else to "cheer" on!

quickslant writes:

in response to SEC1:

why don't you go suck an egg...

Ibleedorangeforlife writes:

in response to TSCinSFO:

Yes by all means let's teach them that there is no need for financial responsability . Don't pay your car payments , skip classes do whatever you what you want. I wonder if you really are a Volunteer fan.

Volunatic writes:

Suspending Art Evans for getting behind on his car payments was a good move by Dooley. Otherwise, it would have appeared that Evans might be getting an improper benefit from the lender by not being required to keep current on the loan.

Volunatic writes:

in response to 1Volunteer:

While your questions are certainly valid, it is pointless to try to get the troll to analyze an actual game.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Yeah... just like Gene Chizik had a winning record at Iowa State before winning a national title for Auburn... oh, wait.

So much for previous records at other schools!

SouthPaVol writes:

during my time in the Army '84-06, I received, and eventually gave, many classes on balancing a checkbook, etc. If one has never had a checking account, it's got to be covered. Although raised in a solid home, I found there are many things a young man must be taught his first time away from home. I believe it has less to do with lack of raisin', and more to do with moving into a new phase of life. A soldier can have a camera thrust into the face at any point, armed by a reporter with an agenda...not unlike our football players in Knoxville. One has to be prepared

Ayres_Hall writes:

I, too, wish we had hired Derek Dooley two years ago. He's doing a fine job, so far, and I fully expect him to continue to do so in the right ways.

But the Reds won't rest until they have a championship cap and car flag to validate who they are... much like the Bammars and Barners.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to KingsportVol88:

rofl

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to born2ride:

If we hold Dooley to the same standards as Fulmer he won't be around long.

Riddle me this batman... what coach in this country could have possibly been successful in the SEC givin the circumstances we faced last year?! NOBODY!

VolNationPride writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Is there a difference? You lose to a cupcake, doesn't matter what team I put there, everyone here will know who I'm talking about.

Glad you could switch screen names to reply to me though..

VolNationPride writes:

in response to GotthegReenlight:

Most games are scheduled as a home/away series. Having 8 home games is just icing on the cake. You wont see a huge dip in strength of schedule with that 1 game difference. Point is, you can't say that Dooley is scheduling weak, he is scheduling just like every other school.

Personally, I wouldn't schedule like fulmer anyways, he got fired.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to VolNationPride:

Glad you could switch screen names to reply to me though..

The difference is Montana is not a 1A team and the only reason UT lost to Wyoming is because of Hamiltons dumb decision to announce the firing during the week leading up to the game which cause a huge distraction for the coaches and players, just like he did Pearl this year. UT couldve made a bowl game had Hamilton not done what he did just to get a rogue bunch of coaches to come to UT that got the University in trouble. How does Hamilton still have his job?

orangeman1 writes:

in response to VolNationPride:

Personally, I wouldn't schedule like fulmer anyways, he got fired.

Point is, the schedule is weaker this year. Fulmer didnt schedule 1AA teams, and he didnt back out of games vs mediocre ACC teams. You are right that Fulmer scheduled tough and that was part of his downfall.

RUstilltalking writes:

I wish Vol fans would stop making excuses for DD. The same goes for Martin and whoever Hamilton hires for baseball. He did a good job last year with the team. He kept us from TOTAL embarrassment and should have won the bowl. But don't sit there and say he is the right guy for the job and he will be great for the program. Just like the na-sayers who think he is not good enough to be at UT, is the same as saying he will be a great coach. His track record was not good. He has not exactly set the highest benchmark for recruiting either. But the guy does need time to be great or to fail. The UT Football Team is not good right now. But that can change. Don't pronounce DD the best thing for UT until he has done something. And at this point right now he has done nothing. BE REALISTIC!

Orange_Scooter writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

WOW! You know, you and CantStand are freaking weird. I mean, sure you corrected ValNationPride, but in the end aren't you embarrassed that you even knew that? Which begs the question: Why do you obsess over us? Kinda creepy if you ask me. I used to find you annoying, but now I kind of view you and Cantstand as creepy stalker dudes. Next thing you know you and CantStand will be on UT campus killing trees. Haw, haw, haw. We are like gods to you... and the more you post the more you prove it. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Floyd302 writes:

in response to SEC1:

Coach Dooley took over a program at UT that was in one of the worst shapes imaginable. I've been watching the Vols since the early sixties and the more I hear from this young man, the more I like him. If I were you, I wouldn't be betting any money that Dooley will be gone in two more years.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

Dont pretend like any fans would ever give Fulmer excused to not be a champion. Injuries didnt matter, Losing asst coaches and installing a new offense didnt matter. There was no excuse for him not winning championships in most fans minds. He did compete with Florida and Bama. He won the SEC East over Florida 5 time in his last 11 years and as recent as less than a year before he was fired he had the best record in the SEC. He had a 11-5 record vs Bama. His OOC did have something to do with his downfall also, but not much. Had he scheduled 1AA instead of UCLA or Cal and the firing not been announced right before the Wyoming game UT couldve very easily won 7 games in 08, but that still wasnt good enough for fans. Heck, I recall many fans calling for his head after finishing top 5 in 2001. He lost his job due to unrealistic expectations from fans that now make excuses for everybody else, but couldnt support Fulmer who earned it. Anyway, I was responding to someone saying Dooley schedules like other coaches who was ignoring the reality that Fulmer always had a tougher schedule and that other big time schools do it too. I like Dooley because he reminds me of Fulmer in alot of ways. I just hope fans dont hold him to the same standard as Fulmer.

GoVols025 writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

What is Little Willie's record? Oh wait ... he's never been a head coach? Dang!

hufstedler02 writes:

in response to TSCinSFO:

I am almost certain that Dooley did elude to Evans' suspension being about the cloudiness of rules in an earlier article during the season.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Yep, Fulmer scheduled tough, and could not beat tough teams

VOLliven2it writes:

in response to RUstilltalking:

"And at this point right now he has done nothing." Okay, he piece-milled a team from last year's group with no stars and very few solid leaders. They went .500 against a rough and tough schedule. He helped develop what many believe is a future all conference qb. I guess that is nothing. Sure, his record as a head coach is not great. Just look how many years he has been a head coach. I say wait and see. He may end up being just what is needed. But no matter what we say, believe or don't believe he is the HEAD COACH of The University of Tennessee football Volunteers. By the way, if we get any setbacks from the NCAA deal, which are not his fault, he will deserve some more time before we think about showing him the door.

castoff121 writes:

in response to TSCinSFO:

In the past, it was not unheard of for Alumni who owned car lots to sell players cars and then never requiring them to make payments. I think it was smart on CDD's part to make sure there was no appearance of impropriety.

Volunatic writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Regardless of division, Montana could have beaten Wyoming most years over the past decade, including in 2008.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

Excellent work, sir.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

He might be using the Mike Brown (Cincinnati Bengals owner) definition for "competing"-- both teams are tied at the beginning of the game.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to Whatthehellsgoingonoutthere:

By competing, I wasnt assuming you were taking out only the worst years of his career. I also do think compteting is winning the East over Florida which he did less than a year before he was fired. Teams go through slumps, but Fulmer never went more than a year without winning at least 9 games. There were reasons for that, but no excuses for Fulmer even though he had them. Folks wanted him fired since 99. People just have unrealistic expectations because of the unmatched success Fulmer had his first 10 years.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Yep, Fulmer scheduled tough, and could not beat tough teams

I guess you are trying to be funny, but thats simply not true.