Signee Eddrick Loften not enrolled at Tennessee

Another semester has started without Eddrick Loften on the Tennessee campus.

Even after missing his third chance to enroll and start a career with the Vols, the safety from Texas and two-time signee hasn’t abandoned hope just yet. And theoretically he’s still got two more chances to show up and be ready for the season.

After not showing up in the directory of active students yet again when UT reported for the first session of summer school on Thursday, Loften confirmed in a message to the News Sentinel that he’s not yet been granted eligibility by the NCAA Clearinghouse. But he reiterated that he has the requisite test scores and is eying enrollment with the program for the second session of summer.

“I’m waiting on the Clearinghouse to come in on (July) 7th,” Loften wrote in an email. “Other than that, I have (passed) my test and (I’m) just waiting.”

The vast majority of the 2011 signing class will have already been on campus for at least a month, with 20 players showing up as active students for the first day of classes to join the six Vols who enrolled early to participate in spring practice.

The only other signee not listed in the directory was Tino Thomas, a defensive back from Memphis.

Both players were expected to vie for playing time this fall as UT tries to add depth to its secondary, but the large number of newcomers on campus could possibly make that more difficult for them now.

The Vols signed 28 players in February to fill 26 spots on the roster for the coming season, and with only Thomas and Loften currently on the outside, the math wouldn’t appear to work in their favor.

But those numbers aren’t yet finalized, and either Loften or Thomas conceivably still have time to qualify and contribute for the Vols this fall.

For Loften, that clock has been ticking now for quite some time - but it hasn’t expired just yet.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Orange_Nation_23 writes:

WOW...somehow I knew he wouldn't be enrolled.

Biggie writes:

Is he a Dooley recruit?

voldog89 writes:

we need to stop trying to sign this guy. hes a joke and hes making dooley look bad.

us43137415#376444 writes:

Hooray for standards. If you don't live up to them, you don't get in.

Should have spent that time loafing and goofing off in high school, to get down with the books. What'd he think? TUTORS were going to do the schoolwork for him?

Not to worry. Plenty of players who did study hard enough, will step up to take his place.

voldog89 writes:

I dont think anyone honestly expected this guy to make the cut.i dont see it as a huge loss considering all the secondary talent UT is bringing in this year. I think dooley and CO. should be commended for recruiting so many talented yet low risk players this year. TINO may or may not make it, but either way 25-26 guys making it through the clearinghouse is huge considering the recent state of our program.

GBO!!

BillyVol writes:

in response to Biggie:

Is he a Dooley recruit?

Recruited by Willie Garza on Lamers staff, he stayed with his verbal and stayed with TN.

volinlouisiana writes:

Wow! Alot of negativity on this board, especially given that we are oversigned by 2 in this class.
I don't see any fault in Dooley giving a guy a chance to try to make grades and make something of himself with his talent.
I also don't see a problem with a guy, who obviously struggles academically, to try to persevere and make grades. The kid won't give up! Personally, I hope he eventually makes it somehow, somewhere. He is a tremendous talent.

givehim6 writes:

Good, sounds like a problem child anyway.

tennrich1 writes:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Once again a vandee fan schooling UT on futbol....and in the process is disrespectful to Coach Dooley(not Dudley). Speaking of making fools........

Mobbdeep4life writes:

Loften needs to swallow his pride and enroll at a junior college. There is no shame in going that route. I hope Tino can make it in. I know some wondered why he was even recruited anyway. I have heard he is an incredible athlete and you can never have too many of those on your team.
GBO!!!!!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

He reminds me of another Gerald Williams. He was on the recruitin class for 3 years. I wondered how many would make it this year considering last year 20% of Dooley's first signing class didnt make it. I thought the reason couldve been the lack of time, but wasnt sure. Now, I am starting to believe that he is going after character and talent.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

What the H-E-L-L does JJ have to do with an article about Lofton?

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Loften..sorry

RoadTrip writes:

Focus trolls. Article is on Loften with mention of Thomas not enrolling as well.

Volquest reported earlier that the Thomas enrollment has not been resolved yet. Anybody who counted on Loften being here is an over-the-top optimist.

flatrock writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

The only one making a fool of himself is you-- again. Get a life.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to brown-bag-vol-fan:

Yes I believe so. I also think that is what his father said he was going to do. Be in school this fall. I am not sure but I believe that was their plan, not going to look it up but am pretty sure that was in an earlier art. in KNS sports so ask one of the sports writers.

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

Jackson has been back on campus for a few weeks, according to Brent Hubbs. Hubbs says that, while not certain, they expect Jackson to be enrolled for second session of summer school and working out with the team in July.

Dooley confirmed this yesterday. While obviously not a certainty, that is the expectation.

tdforvols writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Where is Jackson? Per Dooley getting ready to rejoin the vols in about a month...

VolinCalif writes:

in response to rbhobbs73#226545:

Yes I think you are right. At least that has been the way I understand things. I kind'a think that both boys are going to be on campus this fall.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

I don't know if Jackson is making a fool of Dooley. I do know you have certainly made one of yourself.

Wayfarer writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

First, you have no clue as to why Lofton hasn't been able to get through the NCAA Clearing House. Some very talented athletes aren't the greatest students for many reasons one which may be a learning disability he is working to overcome. Book learning isn't the only why to exhibit intelligence and it at many times doesn't prove common sense as in your instance. I have dyslexia and it took me five years to graduate from college but I did so which a GPA that earned me both a BA and a BS plus honors with both.

I also played varsity sports and at the end of my junior I took a two year furlong to help my family when my dad suffered an on the job injury. You have no clue as to why JJ took a break from UT, whether he is working out on his own, nor if he with be on campus when preseason camp begins. You're a troll of the worst kind. You try to demean and demoralize others to make yourself and Vandy look better but you fail miserably. Grow up, and join adult conversations in appropriate manner or don't bother responding at all.

SEAL_9821 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

The question of the summer for vol fans. I have a good feeling that he will be back soon. I don't know for sure, but I think one day we will all come to the computer and see the great news on govolsxtra. It's gonna be exciting ladies and gentleman. And Janzen is smart enough to know he needs to be in the gym. I'll gurantee he is in the dead hot Louisiana heat working hard. He knows what is at stake.

lomas98 writes:

This is why coaches have a hard time with the proposed 25 man signing classes. Two or three will not make it most of the time and the grayshirting does not matter. I think coaches like having the extra players to get more star recruits even if they know they won't qualify. It helps them with the fanbase when they get a mythical recruiting championship although some of the players will not make it.

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Exactly.

Everyone doesn't necessarily have to always be "glass half full" types, after all everyone is different. However, it doesn't take much effort to find something negative in every situation/story.

Dooley has done the right thing with this kid. Let them work it out.

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

in response to givehim6:

Good, sounds like a problem child anyway.

Yeah totally.

Wish we had a bunch of superstars like Terrell Pryor. They never cause trouble.

VOLliven2it writes:

Well, we go on without Loften. Is that it for us this season? I don't think so. Even if JJ doesn't make it back and I hope he does, we will move on and do well. Why everyone trollfeeds on stuff like this is beyond me. I will just be so glad when the season is here. We'll know the NCAA verdict and can get on with life.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Once again where is your brain and why do you continue to make a fool of yourself?

TheOpinion writes:

Man its sad that he cant get in. It doesn't hurt our team as much as it hurts his future in academics and sports.

clvolfan writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED:

What the H-E-L-L does JJ have to do with an article about Lofton?

I was thinking the same thing,but is typical of the CSSaban post.We don't need his logo to figure out who it is.

iadvol writes:

What about 2nd semester of summer school? Always a chance!!

CoverOrange writes:

2 down, one to go. Who will volunteer to go greyshirt? Or is it too late since 26 are now enrolled?

martinvol34 writes:

You are Satan.

VolunteerLifer writes:

What's it to you?

volinlouisiana writes:

He tweeted that he's still trying to pass the clearinghouse and will be enrolled next month. So, I think thi is about the 4th time he's said this, but I guess you never know.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Think you are correct on Jackson... He's either in or out and I still have trouble wondering what personal problem or family p roblem he could be having when he spends his time in Knoxville. Dooley has been more than fair with Jackson, but it's time is to make a decision... either play or leave the program for good.

HallowedHill writes:

Don't be surprised when the Clearinghouse drags this out until August. Same story, different year.

Message to all upcoming high-school seniors: Get your grades in order now! The NCAA WILL yank your chain if you are too close to the line.

donald.evans#212851 writes:

I sincerely hope this young man can make it in. With that said, Dooley wants to get kids that can play 3-4 years for the VOLS. College is tough academically. I fear Loften is another Rogan that just doesn't have what it takes mentally to earn a college degree. Hope I am wrong

RoadTrip writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

You really need to get back on your meds. You think perception and conjecture are reality. You confirm this by stating your opinions as fact when you have no proof or sources for your ramblings.

516milesfromUT writes:

in response to givehim6:

Good, sounds like a problem child anyway.

URADOOSHHHH

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Dumb Chit

wildmed writes:

Sounds like a can't-miss guy who may never get a chance...

pvtoe writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Betcha?

BigVolFaninSC writes:

in response to Wayfarer:

Very well said!...however, when dealing with this Waffle House veteran, you could have ended after your fifth word!

flatrock writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Got your Vandy season tickets yet?

volunteers4life writes:

Loften is the real deal, if he makes it in he will make an immediate impact. Not saying starter, considering the rest of the talent in the secondary we have currently. However, the guy brings legit skills and in the least will provide some quality depth that we have not had the luxury of affording in a long while. Don't know much about Thomas other than he wasn't the most highly rated guy coming in, but CDD saw something there that he believes he can build on, so I leave this one up to them.

No ones begging for anything at UT, we have the finest facilities, in the finest football conference in the history of all of college athletics, one of the largest stadiums, one of the largest fan bases in the country, and a staff that has already proven their ability to recruit right along with the big boys. True, CDD has a bit of a different approach. He likes his players to be tough, athletic, and cerebral. Able to read more than their Facebook pages. I love the direction, as it solves many issues at once. Less flunking out, more serious students, better average grades, less losses of schollies due to low APR's, fewer arrests, less negative media attention, less NCAA attention, and hopefully smarter, more motivated and hungry players that come in knowing more of the play book and can quickly pick-up on the opponents' sets, schemes, formations, and plans before the whistle. A recipe for success, which you shall see soon.

Regardless, our classes are still ranking up there with the top programs. Just because they may not be number 1 or 2 doesn't mean our guys can't perform at just as a high a level. There is so little difference between number 1 and number 15, that the true advantage lies with the team that had the fewest non-qualifiers and coaches that can get the freshmen up to speed as quickly as possible. In the long run, these classes will measure their successes on how many are still in the program in years 3 and 4, how many graduated, and how many championships they have won. Give me a top 30 recruiting class every year and a coaching staff that really knows how to develop talent, and classes 1-29 will never overlook that team, I guarantee it.

Believe what you want, but there is a reason that CDD has stuck with Loften, Thomas has all the pieces to be a major contributor, and this year's recruiting will show that CDD can get some of the most highly sought after prospects in the country to play for TN, quite the contrary to your assertions of anyone around here begging for anything. Well, other than for you to shut your mouth & get lost that is.

This is the year that everyone in the SEC and the NCAA realizes that Dooley has a plan, and the scariest part for them is that this year will prove how well his plan is actually working.

GO VOLS!

alysonbrown13 writes:

Aren't we always saying we want kids who WANT to be VOLS?! Kids that WANT to bleed Orange?! Eddrick Loften WANTS to give his all for Tennessee!! Give him a break already! I hope he doesn't read this article and see all the unwarranted and absurd negative comments about him. I support Loften for not only for his skills on the field, but for his sincere dedication in wanting that field to be at Neyland Stadium surrounded by 100,000+ people wearing Orange.

And how about the selective memory some of y'all seem to have?! How easily we forget how long and difficult a process it was for the Clearinghouse to declare Justin Hunter eligible last year.

Eddrick Loften WANTS to be here. And every VOLS fan should want the same thing! Give me a kid who won't give up on Tennessee over one who will any day. I'm looking at you Bryce Brown.

GBO

CroKev writes:

in response to flatrock:

Got your Vandy season tickets yet?

Alright, alright. That's enough! Your comment was downright cruel!

crimsonviper writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Off topic and ignorant...Story of your life,weenie boy.

eprahm (Inactive) writes:

I was a pretty lousy student through high school and first year of college, of which I only lasted one year initially. But when I returned to college I worked hard and was on the Dean's List almost every semester till I graduated. It just takes a while for some of us to wake up. Maybe this young man is trying to pull himself out of a hole, and it is my prayer he will be able to. Good luck Eddrick!!