Mark Wiedmer: UT objective is mitigation

Nervous yet, Big Orange Nation? Concerned that your day in NCAA court is almost here? Worried about meeting your maker, so to speak?

By this time a week from now, the University of Tennessee brass will have completed its defense of alleged wrongs before the NCAA Committee on Infractions.

The short-term future of the athletic department will be somewhat determined by how that committee views UT’s defense of former basketball coach Bruce Pearl and his staff and ex-football coach Lane Kiffin and his staff.

Will the committee agree that since both groups have moved on, that because UT eventually — though belatedly — dismissed Pearl, that because the Volunteers have appeared to gain little competitive advantage by their misdeeds, that justice has largely been served?

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

VOLliven2it writes:

No I am neither nervous nor concerned. Here is why: we have absolutely no control over what the NCAA does. We have no indication of how they react to our situation. It would be a waste of energy and time to worry or fret over it. So this Vol fan is hopeful that maybe the way things played out will help. I have no real indication it will. What would be sad is if after the punishment received just by having a coach leave the program after causing trouble and another being fired after causing the most concern is multiplied by major penalties. But if that happens it happens. I signed on as Vol fan a long time ago and that will not change.

jskid writes:

What a crock! Hamilton appeals to all of you two-sided beeked birds of a feather! You praise him about how much money he has raised for the U, and whine about ticket prices at the same time. There is no reason that Dooley and Martin should be there; they weren't even involved. I guess Hami wants them there so that they can experience the wrath and humiliation that comes from the ncaa when they follow Hami's and Butt-Cheek's orders.

BillyVol writes:

The way I understand it, the NCAA requires both coaches to be there.

orangepeel writes:

True justice will be served when Mike Hamilton is fired. He hired the coaches that commented these violations. Hamilton needs to be held accountable for this as well as his pathetic leadership of the men's athletic department.

drwut70 writes:

I agree with the comments regarding Hamilton - on both sides of the issue. However I wouldn't put much credence in the "Wied's" editorial musings. He is a small town sports hack wannabe that is a Georgia/Alabama supporter and usually puts the VOLS down. He is about right for UTC in Chattanooga which is also a major sports town wannabe.

jskid writes:

in response to BillyVol:

The way I understand it, the NCAA requires both coaches to be there.

From reading the expanded article in the Chatt paper, it appears that it's hamilton's decision that they be there. Either way, it should be K&P attending, not two that are uninvolved

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to drwut70:

Not quite sure how you justify Chattanooga as a "major sports town wannabe"... We have a minor league baseball team, and a 1-AA school. Hmm. I don't see your point.

allntl1#565211 writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

Well said with the addition of most people have real life issues to deal with. I am a fan but I am about to go pay $90 to fill up my truck with gas and 5 US soldiers just got killed in Iraq.
NCAA is not a big issue

martinvol34 writes:

in response to orangepeel:

I think that you mean "committed" not commented. Hamilton will be fine and so will us true Vol fans. We've survived worse.

OrangePride writes:

Interesting spin on this article. Somehow one cannot avoid feeling like there is a hint of glee in MW's voice over all this. Like almost all of the other posts, there are bigger more important issues confronting every American at this point. The NCAA will do whatever it already plans to do. This little hearing is nothing more than a media circus event...something akin to a perp walk. The big decisions are already made, so whatever they are, get on with it and we will just go forward here in Knoxville. Still bleeding orange!

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to jskid:

I disagree, I think it's a good idea for Dooley and Martin to completely understand what is going on since it will likely affect their programs. Easier for them to hear it all first hand than just get a report about it. And K&P WILL be there and be the ones in the hot seat. D&M will just be very interested observers. My guess is that they want to be there...especially lawyer Dooley.

jskid writes:

in response to pj_ladyvolnMI:

Well if they go voluntarily, then that's one thing. On the other hand, to be there because hamilton says they need to be there is another. I seriously doubt K&P will be there; maybe Pearl, but kiffin, nah.

It matters not what they hear in person; they are obliged to do the bidding of h&c as long as they are on the payroll.

Pompey writes:

.....sounds like next week would be a good time to hit the refresh button with a new AD...oh by the way, anyone can raise money for UT sports, but it takes someone special to drive it into the ground!

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

Kiffin and Pearl will be there.

Galaxie500XL writes:

The fact that Pearl and Kiffie are no longer with the program is neither going to help nor hurt.

I think the term the NCAA will use in their decision is "Lack of Institutional Control".

And, in my mind, that's a large part of the AD's job, to ENSURE that control exists.

VolunteerLifer writes:

As one poster noted, there seems to be a bit of half-covered-up joy in this writer's voice. He seems to almost be enjoying the prospect of UT standing in the docket.

Volunatic writes:

in response to jskid:

I think that if the NCAA COI asks coaches Dooley or Martin any questions, they will approve of the responses they get. UT's image will improve with those two there. Hopefully, that will result in lighter penalties.

Singaporehillbilly writes:

I think that after the NCAA reviews all the facts about the Tennessee mens athletics no additional penalites will be issued. Having Hamilton as our AD does more harm as a self imposed penalty by Tennessee than any thing the NCAA could issue.

jskid writes:

in response to Volunatic:

You may be right. I think the NCAA has a hard heart for UT, and it's hard for me to believe that we'll get any consideration due to D&M being there.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to BillyVol:

The way I understand it, the NCAA requires both coaches to be there.

Pearl and weasel boy are required to be there. Martin and Dooley are not, but Hamilton has asked them to be there.

I believe Hammy wants them to show off that he has done what is necessary to clean the program up. Basically, he is tooting his own horn having them there to show off.

jskid writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

I tend to agree with you, except that the Hamster hasn't completed the clean-up; he needs to talk Butt-Cheek into resigning, then follow him out the door. Of course, if that happened, I'm sure they would expect a buy-out.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to Galaxie500XL:

WRONG....Lack of Institutional Control has NOT been charged,. Good try

UTKin1992 writes:

The fact that Mike Hamilton continues as Athletic Director may have huge negative consequences for us with the NCAA.

He should've been eliminated after the Pearl incident, unfortunately, no one on staff was any more competent to drive the bus through the storm than MH...we have fallen soooooo far.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to Galaxie500XL:

Please quit demonstrating how ignorant you are. They haven't been cited with lack of institutional control. You probably don't even know what that means.

Katphan29 writes:

Your administration should say Calipari cheats - that's about the only discourse I hear out of UT these days.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to jskid:

Kiffin and Pearl are required to be there.

OrangePride writes:

in response to Katphan29:

Then perhaps you should turn up your hearing aid and listen more carefully. There is a lot being said, most of which has nothing to do with Calipari or his well documented past.

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to jskid:

You said that "we" praise Hammy...????!!? Who does? I've been on these boards fro almost four years and have rarely heard anyone praise Hammy.

Exactly what is all the bird talk about anyway?

volholic#282380 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Mark Weidmer's career objective is to be a life time pimple on the be-hinds of Vols fans everywhere. So yes, your detection of half-covered up joy is correct.

murrayvol writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Reporters are like that sometimes.

snoopbob87 writes:

The NCAA has set the ethical bar at about 50 thousand feet. Never in my life time would I have been able to reach this lofty level. Truth is, none of us would be able to live the "without sin" the NCAA regulates for colleges players and coaches to reach. Then comes the punishment! Six million Tennesseans have to suffer because a young man or woman, or coach had a weak moment. NCAA is out of control.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Katphan29:

The UT Administration doesn't have to say it Katphan. It's common knowledge.

murrayvol writes:

in response to snoopbob87:

But almost as many Alabamians will rejoice.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

I'm not worried. I did not see any counts of alleged improper benefits, nor anything about illegal sales of merchandise. If the NCAA decides to hammer UT for too many phone calls, a improper conversation, or a BBQ pic-nic, then I guess Ohio State, UCONN, as well as others can plan on closing their athletic programs down.

I don't understand the traction of this story at all, it's nothing compared to what other college institutions are doing and getting away with currently.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Katphan29:

What are you still doing here you freakin' retard. Basketball season is over!

Vols7Twins writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

You're right, Mark hates Tennessee, and he's a big troll on here.

onevol writes:

The standard line is that the money is still behind Hamilton. I have to wonder when I see so many car tags for other teams in Tennessee and especially in East Tennessee if the money is the only thing behind him. This program is still on a down hill slide and will continue to do so as long as we have an incompetent AD. The only bigger mistake the program could make would to be hire an ex-football coach who tends to like down hill himself.

mhsvol writes:

The NCAA has no standards for punishing an offending school for rules' violations. The COI says they treat each offender separately, based on its violations.

That's BS. They base their punishments on what they think is needed at the time to get schools back in line.

This hearing with UT is the biggest phooey shoot the university has ever faced with its athletic program because there is no precedent within the NCAA as to what penalties will be imposed.

This lack of "sentencing guidelines" is what is wrong with NCAA penalties, because if schools don't know what the penalties are, then how do they know how seriously they should police the violations?

dvols writes:

fulmer for AD

Peyton hangs at clubs

who cares bout ncaa

OrangePsyched writes:

Hammy haters are so funny to me. Most, not all Vol fans applauded the hiring of Kiffin and Pearl and now in retrospect judge. Many of those calling for Hamilton's demise were Fulmer fans. The UT fan base is as strong as ever and if the money is still behind Hamilton then I'm cool. I am not for or against him. If the NCAA..(national committee of arrogant arses) goes about this the right way our program should be alright.