Football portion of UT's NCAA hearing ends; Lane Kiffin 'glad that it's over'

Former Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin, now at Southern California, enters a hearing by the NCAA's infractions committee in Indianapolis, Saturday, June 11, 2011.

Photo by AJ Mast/Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS - The football portion involving Tennessee's former coaches at today's hearing with the Committee on Infractions wrapped up in time for a late lunch after more than four hours of deliberations.

Former Vols football coach Lane Kiffin, who now serves in the same position at Southern Cal, spoke with reporters for two minutes before departing the Downtown Marriott and boarding a flight back to Los Angeles.

"It was a very fair process," Kiffin said. "I'm glad that it's over. I'm going to get back to (Los Angeles), get back to our camps that are going on right now. Under the direction of the NCAA, we can't comment about (the hearing) at all."

Only two of the 12 major violations alleged in February's Notice of Allegations involve the Vols football program. Kiffin faces a charge of failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the football program and failure to monitor the activities regarding compliance of several assistant coaches, while former assistant David Reaves faces “allegations relating to impermissible contacts with prospective student-athletes.”

Reaves, now the offensive coordinator at New Mexico, left the hearing without commenting.

Asked if he felt comfortable with the information he presented to the Committee on Infractions, Kiffin simply said, "very."

"I'm just happy that it's over," Kiffin said. "Happy that we got to get the truth presented. We're going from there.

"(There are) so many people that had so many different connections ... It feels a little bit different."

Kiffin said he reached out to UT men's athletic director Mike Hamilton, who resigned Tuesday, both before the hearing and after the session broke for lunch. Kiffin released a statement Tuesday that expressed his gratitude for Hamilton.

"I just wanted to make sure to tell him what I said before in the statement," Kiffin said. "I feel really bad for him. It's an unfortunate situation. I enjoyed him being my boss and I think he's a great man."

After each party presented their opening statements, former men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl, his former assistants and their respective legal teams were allowed to leave the hearing while the focus centered on football. Pearl spent much of the morning going over paperwork with his attorney in the downstairs lobby.

The hearing will reconvene at 2:15 p.m. There is no set time for the session to end.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Vol4Him writes:

Sounds like it went well. My prediction:
No major violations in football. Both will be reduced to secondary violations and there may be a fine, some recruiting restrictions, and at worst a one year five scholly reduction.

TommyJack writes:

Hmmmm. And no statement following meeting, either. Right?

drgreear writes:

Well it's not like Kiffin would come out and tell reporters anything but it went "well" and he was "comfortable" so I don't know.

kingmufasa76 writes:

and the cats in the craddle with silver spoon....... lol

OwensboroVol writes:

Since the University is a public school I believe it is illegal not to release the information from the sessions.

gwills228#231210 writes:

i like coach pearl. i think he came along at a time when we were in dire need of a new direction in our basketball program... but,not only did he break the rules,but he lied about it,and then went on to break the rules some more. i don,t care what other coaches at other schools do or don't do. i only care that u.t plays by the rules. it seems to have worked for coach summitt for many years!

vols37 writes:

Kiffin and Pearl are both scumbags.

516milesfromUT writes:

in response to kingmufasa76:

and the cats in the craddle with silver spoon....... lol

tennisvol writes:

I guess ole Kiffin should feel for Hamilton. He helped bring him down.

gillblog writes:

in response to Vol4Him:

Sounds like it went well. My prediction:

Sure hope you're accurate.
The trouble is the NCAA is a rogue organization and there is no way to tell what they will do from case to case. It's not like a legal court system in which you can study previous decisions and come up with a reasonably accurate expectation for similar cases. No, the NCAA makes up it's own rules, contingencies, interpretations, and penalties every time they "investigate" infractions. It is unaccountable, unregulated, and unpredictable, and is the most flagrant charlaton of a regulating body in the US today.
Well....I know, I shouldn't hold back like that, I should just say what I think. But don't get me started.

Voluvr writes:

This is going to go better than people think. The actual infractions Pearl had weren't that serious compared to Tressell who's next with the ncaa.

If they Jam Pearl....they'll have to bury the Vest. I think they'll have a harder time doing that to a Big 10 school.

Voluvr writes:

in response to vols37:

Kiffin and Pearl are both scumbags.

Kiffin is a brat who never heard "no."
Pearl is "just plain dumb"....and not just a Cracker Barrel.

mdvol writes:

Wow....4 hours to cover two football violations. Could be a long day AND night for Bruce and company.

woodwr#217203 writes:

I only met Lane Kiffin once and our conversation was brief.

I expressed the patience of a thirty-plus year Volunteer fan: "glad to have you in our family and really pleased to have your family with you in Knoxville."

"Build steady, respectable good-sportsmanship teams, for the long run; we want to be proud of how they win."

Lane Kiffin answered that he had no patience and he'd find ways to win right away.

I worried that he didn't have the long-run and people-matter ethics we'd come to expect from Tennessee legends like Our past coaches and from John Cooper and Llyod Carr and even Steve Spurrier.

Lane Kiffin seemed immature and I hoped his father and brother-in-law would shake some sense into him.

Coach Pearl cheated when he didn't have to, but he fell in love with UT and had intentions to build a dynasty and stay as long as he could.

onevol writes:

How would we get 5 scholorships reduction? There was only one incident of illegal contact with 2 players and only one of those actually came to UT. I could see one but not 5.

At the most we should get 2 years probation and 1 scholly reduction, if that. UT should be able to show that they addressed the compliance issues with the individual coaches and they broke the rules without knowledge of the administration or compliance department. I think that is the basis of the NCAA tailing after Reeves and Kiffin.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

You are incorrect in this case. If the NCAA says do not talk, you do not talk. The only public statements will be when the sanctions are handed down

keviningeorgia writes:

Dear Lane Kiffin,

Though our similar comment may be about 2 different things, there are alot of us who are glad it's over too!

9thSon writes:

Hammer is coming down hard!

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor proclaim June 25-26 no cookout weekend in honor of Bruce. Witch Doctor say he not perfect but he did/does love being a Vol.
Bones never lie.
(Witch Doctor say someone create FB page..not mention Witch Doctor just page)

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.
(Witch Doctor say someone create FB page..not mention Witch Doctor just page)

*or maybe "Cookout Weekend" in honor of Bruce. (??)
Bones never lie.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

kiffin probably blamed everything on jim chaney and lance thompson, so yea he feels "comfortable."

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

I think you're right but its that freedom of info act and by the time you file papers to get access, the results will be already published.

CrankE writes:

in response to Voluvr:

I hope you're right.

And a good comparison/contrast regarding Tressel.

On the one hand, the NCAA all but entrapped Pearl with the photo trying to nail him. And Pearl obliged them.

On the other hand, the NCAA had to be dragged to look into the business with Tressel. Not to mention the OSU 5 that were declared ineligible-but still allowed to play the Sugar Bowl.

AlmostAllSports writes:

Really, Kiffin, really?

dyerbey#281598 writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

I don't believe any of the information becomes public until the NCAA completes their investigation. I don't think the NCAA will allow anyone who testifies to comment until the investigation is complete either.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.
(Witch Doctor say someone create FB page..not mention Witch Doctor just page)

I thought we had a patent on the term "WeinerGate". Now the news media has stolen it for that goofball U.S. Representative.

Colliervol writes:

Pat Haden will be "glad it's over" too. In a year or two when he can fire that sleazeball and not have to pay out too much money. I wonder if Lame is sending Mike Garrett a cut.

Mark63 writes:

Just llike his stint here at Teneessee. It was very short. He will still get punish for his part. Then right before he left. He, and his partner in crime Hamilton pated each others back. Before he bolted to get back to his dream job. Now the bigger issue is at hand here. Coach Pearl, and what he did. I did not fault him, on what he did. The fact is that he made a mistake, and should of told UT right away. But it was the aftermath, that was wrong. First the punishment too strong. Second, when Hamilton open his big mouth, and those comments he made right before the NCAA tournament. Was a disaster, in itself. Look what happen there. The team was bounce from the NCAA tournament in the first round. Coach Pearl got made, and did what he did. I keep on saying, that this is all Hamilton's fault, and he should be held responseble for what he did. Therefore, he should be ban for life. From ever holding another AD position again. But no mater what we had to do to with stand a storm that is upon us now. We will be hit very hard with a death penalty. In either one, or both programs here. It will be a disaster, that we will never recover in itself.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Witch Doctor say all Witch Doctor get around this Hut is rabbit food..Witch Doctor craving delivery foods. lol.
Bones never lie.
*Collier, I thank him for some of the greatest headlines in the last few years
"Pressure on Wiener mounts amid sex scandal" - CNN

CoverOrange writes:

I was going to post something poignant and insightful but after reading WD_G's reply to Jethro, I don't think anything can follow it.

volaboard writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.
*Collier, I thank him for some of the greatest headlines in the last few years
"Pressure on Wiener mounts amid sex scandal" - CNN

WD I liked this headline after Tiger withdrew from The Players Championship . . .
"Tiger Pulls Out After Nine Holes."

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to tennisvol:

I guess ole Kiffin should feel for Hamilton. He helped bring him down.

In a way, that is true. The flip side is that Kiffin worked very hard while he was at UT. And the season he coached was definitely more exciting for the fans than the last few before him. Think Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina.

CoverOrange writes:

Okay, reverence over, moving on.

The football part took so long because there were so many actors and a lot of who said what to whom, when to work out. I 'll guess the the BB portion will be quicker because the only point of contention is the "bump." All the other charges have been admitted to. My other guess is that the "bump" was the kid demanding to know what BP's future was seeing as how 4 days earlier BP was in tears.

rockytopnation16 writes:

I don't have anything against witchdoctor but what on earth does "witchdoctor" and "bones never lie" mean? I don't have a problem with it I am just a little confused.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to rockytopnation16:

That's. A long story my friend

You sometimes see glimps of the witch doctor on the dos equis commercials .....

gillblog writes:

in response to rockytopnation16:

Given the nature of this site, there is no meaningful answer to your question, except to say; 'you're not alone'.

Southland writes:

in response to steamboatticket#484773:

wow name a few close games and you are willing to neglect an embarrassment to the state of Tennessee and the university. The man is a jerk and will never be anything but a jerk and in no way should have ever been connected to UT for anything.

VolfanClinton writes:

in response to steamboatticket#484773:

Agree with you completely !!! Football was exciting when Kiffin was here and we beat the **** out of Georgia and South Carolina and played Alabama and Florida tough...I wish Kiffin was still here...plus we were signing top recruiting classes.

ElConquistador writes:

in response to Mark63:

Mark63, Are you just plain stupid? How much time did you waste putting that paragraph up there? SMU is the only program to ever be put on the death penalty, and guess what, they recovered. Did you even take the time to read what you had typed before you posted it??

dvols writes:

i heard mike slive and coach kiffin french kissed!

48orangenation48 writes:

in response to Mark63:

are you just trying to sound smart by making a prediction of what our penalty will be? because that has got to be the most idiotic theory i have heard in a while. SMU is the only program to ever get the death penalty and they were paying almost all their players. Tennessee had recruiting violations. Plus the NCAA admitted itself they made a huge mistake by giving them the death penalty and wont do it again. And they havent even done it in basketball. You are so retarded.

48orangenation48 writes:

in response to ElConquistador:

i know right? this guy is just plain retarded

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

I think Your comment is spot the hell on. Not only is everyone confused about this, but the weekend sports host on CSN on Sirius-XM can not talk about the UT situation without lumping the allegations in both the basketball and football programs together.

It was not until Former Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach (Leach is an attorney) to get to the meat of things. He finally posed several questions to a writer on Sports Illustrated to break all of this in down in the football and basketball aspects of this.

Anyway, I can understand why most of Us are confused about all of this!

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

That was my understanding about all of this as well. It sounded as though the attorneys were successful in getting much of the blame to Kiffen and his staff.

You can not blame the fans for being somewhat confused about this current situation when many in the sports talk media have not a clue about the separate NCAA investigation situations at UT.

I listened to Paul Finebaum on his show (Heard on Sirius- XM)talk about this and not once did I hear Him make any comments that helped to break all of this down or clarify any of this!
Based on my understanding, I agree with your comments about this. Now will happen this way? Stay tuned.

It was not until I heard the writer from Sports Illustrated talk about this with Coach Leach that I started to understand this better. Anyway.....

snoopbob87 writes:

Evidently college football has been dirty, paying for the best players, going back at least to the 1930's. I saw a documentary on it just this mourning on TCM, it was called "Horsefeathers". Marx's brothers did the reporting. Who new?

SummittsCourt writes:

Does anyone really believe anything weasel boy says? I doubt the committee does either. I hope the University gets a slap on the wrist but they levy some heavy fines/penalties on the weasel boy.

jjack61 writes:

Maybe all the noise at The Ohio State U. will make us look better . USC is also helping perceptions that UT isnt that bad, at least when compared with some.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Well, that was my understanding of all of this as well, unless sme other information was found that might change that! The entire thing is confusing complicated!

Orange_Scooter writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Yeah, we still miss Charley Pell.

OwensboroVol writes:

in response to Colliervol:

I think your right on this. I believe Hayden is probably hoping for a show cause on Kiffin and that way He could go ahead and fire him. I may be wrong but I see a lot of distance, lets say, between the two of them.