Vols invite guard Ryan Kilmartin to be walk-on

Tennessee has added another invited walk-on to its men's basketball roster, 6-foot-4 shooting guard Ryan Kilmartin.

"I feel like my shooting is my biggest strength, and also just being a team player and having a good work ethic,'' Kilmartin said in an interview on UTSports.com. "I feel like I have a high basketball IQ ... being in the right place, helping on defense.''

Kilmartin redshirted at Appalachian State in 2009-10 and was limited to one game last season because of mononucleosis. The 20-year-old is expected to be eligibile immediately because he didn't receive any financial aid with the Mountaineers. He will have three years of eligibility remaining.

In 2007, Kilmartin played for Wales, which won the silver medal in Division C at the FIBA European Championships. His mother was Miss Wales in 1984 and was in the Miss Universe Pageant.

"The FIBA rules allow for players who have a British passport to qualify for the National Team, so over the course of three tryouts back and forth to the UK, I made the Under 18 national team,'' said Kilmartin, who played for Catholic High School in Charlotte, N.C. "We won the silver in the European Championships in 2007, then we won the gold with the Under-20s.''

Kilmartin said he led the gold-medal team in scoring with 15.4 points per game and also averaged 5.8 rebounds. He has been invited to play for the men's national team this summer.

His next stop is in the Pilot Rocky Top League at Bearden High School, where he will open play with the News Sentinel's team.

The Rocky Top League games begin at 6 p.m. on Wednesday. Admission is free.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Oenoboy writes:

Bloody good.

born2ride writes:

Somebody tell Martin he is not in the MVC anymore.

Oenoboy writes:

Nothing wrong with adding depth without costing us scholarships.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Somebody tell Martin he is not in the MVC anymore.

Where would you propose he round up a couple of 4 stars at this point just to be able to have hard scrimmages? I THINK COACH MARTIN KNOWS HE'S NOT IN THE MVC ANYMORE.....

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to born2ride:

Somebody tell Martin he is not in the MVC anymore.

It's not Martin's fault that he inherited a bunch of shooting guards who can't shoot. If this guy can shoot, he is a welcome addition, no matter Martin's former league.

GerryOP writes:

in response to born2ride:

Somebody tell Martin he is not in the MVC anymore.

Somebody tell born2ride to ride outta here or shut up.

LJS1984 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Somebody tell Martin he is not in the MVC anymore.

Martin is just getting the fans ready for when the NCAA reduces the basketball scholarships. He's adding kids that want to be at Tennessee and that can afford to pay their tuition. The mess that Hamilton created at UT will be felt for years. Just be happy the NCAA is letting us have a basketball team.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to LJS1984:

BINGO!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Martin has done fine for the short amount of time he's had. He's recruited good players.

Ktownken writes:

When I first heard we hired Martin I cussed for the rest of the day...then I found out he likes players with heart who play defense.Remember when Pearl started? We had players with heart who played defense.Pearl started getting your vaunted "4 star" players and we ended up with a bunch of gutless, heartless guys who wouldn't dive for a ball or box out anyone.At least these guys rebounded and played D in high school!Give coach Martin a chance, let's watch and see if we are "Hoosiers" or Losers.If I just see some solid D, rebounding and hustle I'll be happy. GO VOLS!!!

Simply_Orange51 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Somebody tell Martin he is not in the MVC anymore.

I was going to say I had a concern about your comment...... but then, everyone has a right to an opinion. Yours is just like mine. An opinion and a buck twenty-five will get you a soft drink out of the vending machine. I've already bought my Dr. Pepper...... thanks.

...... the man's not coached a game yet....... give him a chance; you can judge after the season is over...... just my worthless opinion. I personally hope he surprises the dickens out of everyone and makes some people on this site eat a bunch of their words. GBO

BobKesling_is_overpaid writes:

in response to born2ride:

Somebody tell Martin he is not in the MVC anymore.

Don't pay any attention to what people say to you about your comments. In 3 years, they'll all be done drinking the orange kool-aid and will be wishing Hamilton never fired the best bball coach in Tennessee history.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

When he opens play for the Knox News Sentinel team does that mean you-know-who might be his coach?

However, it could be worse............somebody like "born to be a loser" could be his coach.

BrassMonkey writes:

UT basketball is now a team full of walk ons and 3 star commits and our Football team just dropped out of the top 25 recruiting rankings for 2012. Another example of mid-major coaches helping make us a mid-major program one season at a time.

theoldbear writes:

in response to BobKesling_is_overpaid:

While Bruce Pearl might have been the best bball coach in Tennessee history (and I'm not sure I'd put him ahead of Ray Mears), he deserved to be fired. Coach Martin is indeed stuck with a mess.
But the Bruce Pearl who lied to the NCAA, who couldn't keep the rules even after he'd confessed his lies, who does not have a single former player in the NBA, who did nothing to develop the talent of the players that he did have (Scotty Hopson, Brian Williams), who had players involved in numerous off-court incidents, deserved to be fired.

Mike Hamilton deserved to be fired too.

I'm beginning to sound like Donald Trump, so,
"You're fired!" too!

voloffaith writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

To the 2:58 a.m. poster..."Walk on by..." " These boots are made for walking and these boots are going to walk all over....."

On topic ,building depth and we understand as some don't who can't stop gazing at the STARS.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to Simply_Orange51:

amen, brother, amen!

PHAT_VOL writes:

Bloody good pick up it is. Glad he fancied the VOLS!! WELCOME
GO VOLS !

mcgink2 writes:

in response to Oenoboy:

Nothing wrong with adding depth without costing us scholarships.

that may be the smartest post I've ever read on one of these forums

voloffaith writes:

in response to mcgink2:

that may be the smartest post I've ever read on one of these forums

but then......how about one of the smartest among many. Don't want to disparage others of an accurate post ilk ya know.

movol77 writes:

in response to BobKesling_is_overpaid:

Posers boldly post things like this under a screen name.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

Coach Martin would really have to stink it up to not be at this University for at least 3 years. So we might as well support him to try keeping us on the College map.

carbonzip writes:

Ryan has a black belt in Karate. His little brother, Alex, is a Senior at a Charlotte HS and is 6'7' 220#. Father and Uncle played at WVU and Father played pro in Europe.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

The amount of ignorance in these comments is absolutely overwhelming. Some of you guys are acting like he's taking up a scholarship or is going to see significant minutes in the next two years. Every team has walk-ons. Personally, I'll take a 6'4, 200 pounder with big-time tournament experience on the scout team.
In all reality, I don't even know why I'm posting this comment. You guys who are set in your ways are hopeless.

GreerVol22 writes:

and his moms has good teeth for a Brit too!

1965Vol writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Kind of like that college in G'ville... Walk-away U. Still can't believe that your lil' Urbie just simply quit... walked away...

maciste54 writes:

I wish these kids were coached up and the season started tomorrow. Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I've got a good feeling about Martin and this team.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm just waiting. Football'll be here soon. Hope that goes well. Then finally basketball. Funny. I played baseball but it never holds my attention for more than a few minutes on TV.
Martin (for now) can recruit whoever will come here before the sanctions. we can't really judge Martin or Dooley for a coupla years I guess.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Wow!!??? For once YOU may have said something smart.jk

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Somebody has to balance the field.

brod writes:

it's a walk on people. big deal.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Don't you wish you were good enough to walk on somewhere? Bet you can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

dvols writes:

i didn't get past miss universe......

Outdated writes:

in response to Ktownken:

Was that u or me that said that..it's exactly what I am thinking..I've never watched a team that frustrated me more than this last Vol team.. I am looking forward to defense, rebounding, and effort..all were lacking this year...I can take getting beat but I can't stand lack of effort..

Outdated writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Somebody has to balance the field.

Josh Bone was a walk on ..Pretty good player...

Vol43 writes:

in response to BobKesling_is_overpaid:

It's 5:34 in the morning. If you aint drunk, then you have no excuse, but then stupid is free.

BobKesling_is_overpaid writes:

in response to Vol43:

I was eating breakfast before work. You wouldn't know what a job is loser. Just put in 10 hours to your nothing. Wait, I guess that does make me stupid. I could be milking off the tit of the government like you.

KevDVol writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Yes!! We will take all shooters!

And, we fans need to stop acting like we know anything about recruiting or producing top basketball talent. We have one player in the pros - Watson. Before that it was Allen Houston. I would say Coach Martin has been exposed to more NBA calibur talent than anyone in this town.

walt23tn writes:

in response to brod:

it's a walk on people. big deal.

Why are you commenting then?