Renaldo Woolridge trying to become a leader

Renaldo Woolridge, right, is fouled by Josh Richardson during play in the Rocky Top League at Bearden High School Wednesday

Photo by By Wade Payne, Special to the News Sentinel

The longest line for autographs Wednesday night in the Bearden High School gym belonged to Renaldo Woolridge.

“It’s crazy,’’ said Woolridge, whose popularity is soaring in Knoxville on account of his basketball career with the Vols and his “Swiperboy” rap songs and videos. “Knoxville is like no other place with the kind of fans we have.’’

Woolridge earned all of the positive attention he received in the Pilot Rocky Top League, leading his team with 32 points on 16-of-28 shooting while holding overseas veteran Boo Jackson to 10 points.

Woolridge’s team, Ralph Brown and Associations, lost to Larry Smith Insurance by a 125-112 count, but Woolridge said the league is serving its purpose for him.

“I’m not real sure where Coach (Cuonzo) Martin is going to play me, but I want to be able to go inside when he wants me to post up, or if there’s a bigger guy on me, I want to be able to drive by and get to the rack,’’ said the 6-foot-9 Woolridge, who has beefed up to 220 pounds.

“I think the No. 1 thing that’s great about this league is the interaction for the fans,’’ Woolridge said, “but for guys like me who haven’t had a chance to play a lot, we get to show what we can do.’’

Woolridge took advantage of an uncontested fast break in the final seconds to try to show a new dunk he’s been working on.

“My dad (former NBA all-star Orlando) went behind his back and through his legs for a dunk in the all-star contest,’’ Woolridge said. “On mine, I go between the legs and reverse.’’

Except the ball slipped out of his hands, leading a soaring Woolridge to an audible “Oh Shoot!”

His fans didn’t seem to mind, as the line to get an autograph and picture with Woolridge extended out the door.

But Woolridge said there’s a lot more to his game these days than just a big fan following.

“I’m trying to be more of a leader in our workouts,’’ Woolridge said. “Cam (Tatum) is our vocal leader, but I’ve been around here a long time, too, and I’ve played on a lot of different Tennessee teams with different leaders, and now different coaches.

“I just try to work hard every day and stay consistent with my effort.’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

murrayvol writes:

Knock yourself out Renaldo. We could use a couple.

GerryOP writes:

It's your time to shine Swiperboy ... grasp the opportunity. We need you.

eVOLved writes:

I hope he has a breakout year.

mhsvol writes:

"...or guys like me who haven’t had a chance to play a lot, we get to show what we can do.’’

First of all, you have shown us what you can do - and that's rap. There's a reason you haven't been able to show us what you can do on the court, because you haven't shown the commitment and focus it takes to get in the game and contribute.

This is your last chance to show UT fans and coaches that you are a legit SEC player and your father's son. We're waiting. And hoping.

SunshineVol writes:

He's always looked like a baller.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm excited to see the new Woolridge this year. He has potential! I really believe that. Not because of 32 points Rockyball! Because he's shown ability on defense and under the boards at times.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say pretty impressive holding Boo to 10. Witch Doctor say maybe he have a great Senior season. Go Vols
Bones never lie.

MothershipChip writes:

I was at the game tonight and Swiperboy looked great when he would go inside but awful when he was trying to shoot jumpers from more than 15. If he can focus on getting inside and pushing people around he may be a diamond in the rough.

Go Big Orange

mhsvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

I've noticed that you post on just about every UT sports story - on both the KNS and Tennessean. Most of your stuff is really lame - just about being there. We get the "bones' bit by now. So why don't you try to bring a point of view that's legit instead of an attitude that's stale?

VolsToTheWall writes:

in response to mhsvol:

fight fight fight!

M_VOL writes:

Thank God I'm not the only guy that is sick of the Witch Doctor and his assinine schtick.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to mhsvol:

Witch Doctor say the "Tennessean" Witch Doctor is a fraud..not me an impostor..I really dont give a poo. Witch Doctor say you also have the right to skip and not read....but you couldnt resist whining could ya? Witch Doctor say thanks for providing why your here on this board..
Bones NEVER lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to M_VOL:

a fly? shooo
Bones never lie.

M_VOL writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones NEVER lie.

Hey Witch Doctor....any chance you will choke on a your bone anytime soon and leave the message boards?

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to M_VOL:

Witch Doctor think you the only one that likes choking on a bone....Witch Doctor say go cry to mommy Witch Doctors being mean to you...ahhh
Bones never lie.

RoadTrip writes:

Glad Reynaldo is getting more serious about his game. I've always believed that if he would add some muscle and get down in the paint that he would be very productive as opposed to staying outside and jacking ugly threes. He's got some really good quickness - just needs more minutes and to get in synch with his teammates.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Last chance for Renaldo to step up, and its always better later than never.

TheOpinion writes:

in response to mhsvol:

Anyone who thinks this guy can rap must not know anything about rap. His music is more garbage than his basketball skills. I had huge hopes for him as a ball player but he just hasn't played well. And his rapping is terrible. I refuse to call it music. "Errric Berrraaayyy Errricc Barraaayy" wow

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Damn, lots of hatred on here. What's funny is that all the boy needs is to be coached up IMO. One thing I noticed about Pearl and company. You either had it or you didn't. They were not about to "coach'em up" by any means. Look at all of the underachieving 4*s under Pearl. Swiper had an impressive offer list coming in. But I'm sure the likes of Georgetown didn't know what they were doing by offering him either... And even though the McBee shot against Kansas was the one heard round' the world, we would not have beat them without Swiper being on fire from 3. I hope he dominates!

carbonzip writes:

Woolridge has a lot of ability inside and it looks like there will be a lot of good perimeter shooters onthis team. Woolridge worked as hard as anybody else tonight.

TennVol01 writes:

Just because he can play well in pick up games at Bearden High does not mean he can play college ball. If he put as much time in basketball as he does trying to be Swiperboy, he would be a great player. But .......

VOLinATL writes:

in response to mhsvol:

Seriously, what do you care what he posts??

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

Witch Doctor say someone say something about "choking on Bones" and look the Pro shows up.
Bones never lie.
Lol. your too easy and too dumb..maybe others learn from your mistakes(?)

tmartin writes:

in response to simmsagain:

Dont worry. . . that "concern" was fired back in the spring.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

Witch Doctors say you weaker than the Waffle house coffee you serve nightly.
you got no game! lol
Bones never lie.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctors say you weaker than the Waffle house coffee you serve nightly.
you got no game! lol
Bones never lie.

Who are these so called Vol fans Witch? NOBODY for UT wants you to stop posting. NOBODY! U here to stay.lol

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Witch Doctor say nothing but light work my stalker/impostor and his girlfriends are a weak bunch! lol. Witch Doctor say they not Vol fans and now they got hurt feelings to mend..Maybe they all get together and watch Oprah and Dr. Phil today to heal..haha
Bones never lie.

Outdated writes:

in response to simmsagain:

Steven Pearl played because his father was the coach..otherwise he would not have made the traveling squad..

tmartin writes:

If the next article is titled, "Tyler Summitt is stepping up as leader" I will recommend all readers to go back and watch tapes of Rick Clausen playing QB as sheer punishment for reading the article.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to TennVol01:

Do you know for a fact that he doesn't work hard on the hardwood. It looks to me as if he is putting work into his MAJOR, and FUTURE CAREER. Isn't that what you go to college for. You and others might not like rap, so be it. It's deeper than that, he's working on being a producer which could create a LUCRATIVE career for him down the road. I personally admire the kid for preparing himself for life after basketball.

So lets see...On one thread everyone is bashing Hopson. He's given his all for UT with dreams of playing pro ball. In return he gets bashed, and slammed for going after his dream. On this thread, Swiper gets bashed. Now this is a kid who KNOWS he probably won't play pro ball, and is smart enough to prepare for life after ball. So for that, he gets bashed. Now if they were better players who slung drugs and sported gang tat's they would be worshiped. Are the players the problem or the fans? At times like this it's rather embarrassing to be a UT fan.

JSamson7 writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Shut the front door OKEMO... Please!

JSamson7 writes:

in response to mhsvol:

Please tell me you're NOT a Maryville graduate. If you are, I'm ashamed...

JSamson7 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I agree Rich, go to see you on here keeping it real for these "shills"... :)

RUstilltalking writes:

Has Woolridge ever scored 32 while he was at UT? And I would even count practice if someone could tell me. I don't care how much you "coach'em up" his mentality stinks. Looks like tarzan and plays like Jane! He is weak. If he starts UT wont win 12 games.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

It's crazy that so many people will blindly say that Woolridge has the potential to be awesome, but are not willing to take off their hater shades to see that Hopson most likely has an NBA career ahead of him. Pure resentment towards Hopson for no good reason at all.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Maybe this new coach can get something out of him.

samvol writes:

in response to RUstilltalking:

how many will they win with you playing? gawd only knows what you look like.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Balderdash:

Witch Doctor say you gonna judge his senior season based on a reporter description of a dunk in RTL game?
Bones never lie.

opvol writes:

I move for a petition that names the witch doctor our new athletic director....whose with me? Long live witch doctor!!

Love the talk, Swiperboy! Now get busy, walk the walk, and shut up all the haters on here. You and we have waited long enough, don't you think?

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

in response to TheOpinion:

I sure hope you guys don't have any children

HtownVol writes:

This kid is another reason the recruiting rankings dont mean squat.
SwiperBoy was a ESPN100 player (if I am right he was actually #48)...Yeah, take that in.
He is the only 6'9 player I have ever seen that will not play with his back to the basket.
I know he says he will, I wont beleive that until I see it (see it actually work).
I have a problem with his "rapping". I dont care that he loves music, the problem is everyone can tell that he loves music more than basketball. He has done nothing to deserve that free education. And I wish he would give that to someone who wants it and let his dad pay for school. I am sure his dad can pay for school and not feel it.
I may be being too harsh on Ronaldo but until I see his game reflect a 4 star top 50 recruits game and less of his music being a distraction.

I would love for Ronaldo to make me eat my words but I would bet that he still braggs on the 9 points (or so) he scored on KU. Which is about what he scored all of last season.

GO VOLS!

Vol43 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctors say you weaker than the Waffle house coffee you serve nightly.
you got no game! lol
Bones never lie.

WD, got your back brother.

ETownVol writes:

in response to M_VOL:

If you have nothing better to do than rag on a fellow poster that SUPPORTS UT... why not just STFU, M_VOL. All I've seen from you on multiple posts is whining about WD, bones, etc. Get a freakin' life. The real Witch Doctor seems to be a good guy and doesn't cause trouble, like you. We need more people like him on these boards. Keep it up, WD!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I like to think I have a good ear for music. Swiper seems to be ok with words for rap...but traditional rap is not as big as it was, at least I don't see it around as much. Today's rap seems to have a bit more actual singing and musical ability involved. I don't have anything against Swiper's music and I hope he goes as for as he wants with it.
But!!!! When You(Swiper) put on that UT jersey you become SwiperBAll not boy! Your a senior at UT and basketball's the reason! Show us some of that basketball talent this year. (personally I don't care if I ever hear another rap of any kind...yeh I like Mozart, and Molly Hatchet, and etc.)

jman33163 writes:

Haters gonna hate!!

Keep ballin Swiperboy!!

Keep slingin dem bones WD!!!

Go Big Orange!!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to jman33163:

Haters gonna hate!!

Keep ballin Swiperboy!!

Keep slingin dem bones WD!!!

Go Big Orange!!!!

I don't think any real UT fans dislike Swiper at all. I'm just not a fan of rap. I don't hate rap! It's just the last style of music I'd choose.

Colliervol writes:

To cut to the chase, one has to get off the bench before being considered a leader. (And the Rocky Top League counts for zip.) Renaldo is a likable kid but, so far, has produced nothing in his time at UT except some music. Hoping he can change that this year because they need him but I'm from Missouri. Show Me. As a wise man once said: "Don't just sing it, bring it."

By the way for you newbies, WD has more sense and knowledge behind his witty platitudes than 95% of the posters who venture on this site. You would do well to contribute half of what he does. And the trolls hate him so that makes him valuable right there.

Bigger_Al writes:

Gonna be interesting to see what Swiperboy can do this year, now that he will get lots of PT. Offensively, I'm sure he will light it up on many a night. Defensively, we'll see what Cuonzo can get him to do.

curtmaster writes:

in response to HtownVol:

This kid is another reason the recruiting rankings dont mean squat.

GO VOLS!

Out of all the posts I can truly agree with this one. I do see more commitment to the music than to baskeball. I don't know if it is that he doesn't believe that he is needed or liked enough to get more playing time and focuses more on the music because of that but needs to just give the ball more of a try than the music. This is mostly likely your last shot to make it basically. Ronaldo Focus on the Basketball.