Tobias Harris picked 19th, then traded; Scotty Hopson to become a free agent

NBA Commissioner David Stern, left, poses with former Tennessee Vol Tobias Harris, who was selected No. 19 by the Charlotte Bobcats in the NBA basketball draft on June, 23, 2011, in Newark, N.J. Harris later was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks in a three-team deal that involved the Sacramento Kings.

Photo by Bill Kostroun, Associated Press

Tennessee guard Scotty Hopson 2010-11

Tennessee guard Scotty Hopson 2010-11

Former Tennessee Freshman All-American Tobias Harris was selected 19th overall in Thursday’s NBA draft and is headed to play for the Milwaukee Bucks.

But it was a long, silent night for Vols All-SEC player Scotty Hopson, who was not selected in the 60-player draft. Hopson will work with his advisor, Larry Marshall, to sign a free-agent, non-guaranteed deal in the coming days.

“We’ve got a couple of teams we’re looking at,’’ Marshall said, “we’ll sift through it and put some minds together.’’

The Charlotte Bobcats picked Harris, but a three-way trade involving the Sacramento Kings led to the Bucks landing Harris.

“I knew (Milwaukee) was interested in me,’’ said Harris, who worked out with the Bucks earlier this week. “I had a great workout with them. I think that team is ready to win and will take the steps to win.’’

The NBA has salary slots published for its draft picks. As the 19th pick, Harris is slotted to make $1,218,700 the first year of his two-year, guaranteed contract, and $1,310,100 the second year.

Harris can receive no less than 80 percent of the slotted numbers, and no more than 20 percent over that, depending on negotiations.

Harris, a 6-foot-7 forward, is the first UT player selected in the draft since 2002, when Vols Marcus Haislip and Vincent Yarbrough were picked.

Chicago Bulls’ guard C.J. Watson, who bounced overseas before landing in the NBA Development League en route to the NBA, was the only UT player in the league last season.

Harris, 18, was the youngest collegiate player in this year’s draft, and he was the second SEC player selected.

“Sitting in there watching the draft was nice; I was just happy when my name got called,’’ said Harris, who attended the draft at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., with his family and former UT teammates John Fields and Trae Golden. “I was a little bit nervous, but not really. I knew someone would pick me sooner or later.

“I have great support. I’m a Vol for a life. I’m looking forward to representing the program and taking my work ethic to the NBA.’’

New Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin gathered the current Vols to watch the draft as a team.

“To be an elite program, we have to be a family,’’ said Martin, who was the 57th overall pick by the Atlanta Hawks in the 1995 draft. “But the main thing was paying respect to two really good players who helped put the program on the map. They did some great things here and represented the program well.’’

Martin said Harris could fit with any style of team.

“He will be successful in any system because of his mental makeup,’’ Martin said. “Whether he’s playing the first couple years depends on his position, but he’ll make the necessary adjustments because he has the discipline and focus.’’

Martin praised former UT coach Bruce Pearl for helping Harris develop.

“You have to give credit to the staff that coached him, because they put him in a position to shine,’’ Martin said, “and Tobias did a great job preparing himself with the 6 a.m. workouts and eating right to condition his body.’’

Pearl, who attended the draft, said he’s already heard from associates in Milwaukee.

“He worked out there this week and they were very impressed with him as a total package; person and player,’’ said Pearl, who coached at Wisconsin-Milwaukee prior to his six-year stint as UT’s coach. “I’ve got a lot of friends in Milwaukee that are very excited.’’

Pearl and Martin agree it worked to Hopson’s advantage to be a free agent after he was bypassed through the first half of the second round.

“If he’s not one of the earlier picks in the second round, you’re better off not getting drafted, because then you can pick and choose where you want to go,’’ Martin said. “As a competitor and elite player, like Scotty is, I know he would like to see his name called. But if he continues to put the work in, he’ll be a successful pro.’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tmartin writes:

so much for getting on a good team

HtownVol writes:

Milwaukee may be a good team for Tobias. Bogut,Jackson and Jennings are the only good players on the Bucks. Maybe some earlt playing time for Harris.
He will need to either work on his shot a lot or develope a good post game.
Either way, I hope Tobias has a long and great NBA career!
GO VOLS!

TennVol01 writes:

Reaching any team of the NBA at the age of 19 is quite an accomplishment. And getting picked 19th overall is awesome. Cannot wait to watch him play. I do not have a favorite NBA team, so now I have one to follow.

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

OK WHERE DID HE GO!! Milwaukee or Charlotte? come on you guys get payed to do this stuff.

M_VOL writes:

I guess Witch Doctor is too busy playing with his bone(s) to comment about Tobias Harris.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

To the Milwalkee Bucks. Can't believe everything you read, especially here.

1Volunteer writes:

The Charlotte Bobcats drafted him; he's theirs. The Bucks would like to have him on their team and are hoping that Bobcats management will be open to a trade. Looks like the teams and Harris think it will happen.

TennVol01 writes:

Charlotte just traded him to the Bucks. So, he is on a little better team.

1Volunteer writes:

in response to 1Volunteer:

Nope, I had it wrong. Charlotte had already traded their #19 pick to Milwaukee before the draft began, and the Bucks chose Tobias.

MothershipChip writes:

Technically the trade has yet to go through but if it does then Tobias is a Buck.

LJS1984 writes:

Oh well.

PopsinCapetownSA writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

They told you dumb butt; he was traded to Milwaukee.

pridebone writes:

And Scotty didn't get drafted. Who is surprised?

MidTennVol writes:

Where is Mike Griffith now with all of his hype for Scotty Hopson? Nothing against the kid and I feel bad for him but it seems like he listened to the wrong people. Should still be wearing orange.

And Grif has been writing about Hopson's terrific NBA potential for the past three years.

Where are you, Grif? Splain yourself.

BobKesling_is_overpaid writes:

Scottie will be playing in Turkey...wearing a burqa...bwahahaha

VOODOOley-2011 (Inactive) writes:

I hope Larry Marshal wasn't paid a whole lot by Scotty; it's a contingency deal just in case he actually would get drafted by an NFL team. There's a guy that should have stayed for his senior year, and even with that, I don't he'd be ready for the NBA; his game is too incomplete and he's immature.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Scottie's fine...disappointed probably but he'll be a good add for some team or he'll make some money in Europe. Lot's of foreign players this year. I think maybe the NBA likes the work ethic over there maybe?

voloffaith writes:

Drafted by an NFL team......

On topic,NBA draft weakness this year shown by Intrenational players taken in early picks.

VOLliven2it writes:

I'm happy for Tobias and not surprised. That said, he has a long road ahead and a lot of work to become a productive NBA player. Best to him. As for Scotty, a few of us may be surprised he was not drafted. The NBA teams can see he needs a lot of work. If he had stayed one more year, he could have made strides to have been at least a top 20 pick. Now he will have to take what he can get. He can make some money and get to play overseas but we know his heart is set on the NBA. Time will tell how this pans out.

Willis writes:

71 DAYS TILL FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!!!!!

mattlock writes:

What does one have to do to become an "advisor" besides provide consistently bad advice to young men they are trying to profit from?

VOLinATL writes:

in response to M_VOL:

Does the WD owe you money or something? Get over it

GreerVol22 writes:

Scotty needed a strong senior season to have any hope of success. He will be footballed around by agents and advisors then end up in Turkey. Good for Toby.

Outdated writes:

Scotty could have stayed at UT but chose not to..bad choice..Martin's staff appears to be prepared to help players develop their potential better than the previous staff...Was Bruce Pearl honest with him about his chances in the NBA..don't appear he was..was Pearl helping Scotty by babying him when he would pout and quit..don't appear he was..Pearl should have told Scotty to grow up..now Scotty has to either grow up or give up hopes of being a pro..does he have the talent if he grows up... I think he does..will he grow up..I hope he becomes another C J Watson who showed what heart and effort can get u...

brod writes:

scotty, you should have stayed. ut needed you.

huntined#565710 writes:

Hopson and some other players didn't get drafted but a lot of never-heard-of foreign players did. Just got to believe they did not play against the kind of players Hopson and others played against here in the USA. Wish him well and hope some team will give him a shot at it..

PHAT_VOL writes:

Scotty has the talent but not the focus.
GO VOLS !!

lomas98 writes:

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

I have never seen another fan base who just turns on their own players like TN fans. He left for the NBA and didn't get his name called, so what? That doesn't mean coming back to school would have been a better choice just because you think so or wanted him here. Nobody knows his situation. With a new coaching staff and being first team all SEC last year, I think it would have been difficult for him to duplicate that. Most fans didn't want Scotty here when he was at UT, so why is everybody upset that he left. You all have the "I told you so" attitude when anyone leaves here and is not as successful as they hope, but don't really ever appreciate them when they are here. If he doesn't make an NBA team he will still make money playing a game even if it is overseas. He will not be at UT next season, but that doesn't mean he should be ridiculed because he left early.

VolNationPride writes:

in response to BobKesling_is_overpaid:

Scottie will be playing in Turkey...wearing a burqa...bwahahaha

And making more money than you....bwahahahaha

NBA is still not out of the question for Scotty. If you watched the draft; anyone picked in the later second round, except for Thomas with the last pick, was a foreign player that the team won't have to pay. That way they own the rights to them and if they turn out to be superstars overseas, then they have a developed player they can call over. Just like the article says, Scotty is better off trying to become a free agent, that way he can pick which team to work out for. Going that late, he wasn't getting any money anyways.

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to lomas98:

Good Post!! Playing basketball in Europe is not a bad thing. Its a good thing. Thats for you folks that think playing in Europe is some kind of punishment. Scotty if you read this, You will always be a VOL no matter.
GOOD LUCK !!
GO VOLS !!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

Witch Doctor say maybe you should try Nickelodeons website cause you clearly outta your league on this one? Witch Doctor say you got no game rookie..is this all you got? geeez Gribble
Bones never lie.
* M_Vol...get over the hurt feelings you look bitter and weak

dcap8424 writes:

in response to lomas98:

I think most of the hate comes from him and his advisor saying he was a "solid first round guy." I think most, like myself, want him to do well, but I think that most, like myself, are not surprised he wasn't drafted.

rootin4volz writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

He was drafted by Charlotte, but there was a 3-team trade that sent him to Milwaukee.

rootin4volz writes:

WHAT?!?!?!? SCOTTY HOPSON DIDN'T GET DRAFTED?!?!?!?!? THE SECOND COMING OF MICHAEL JORDAN, MCDONALD'S ALL-AMERICAN, ALWAYS KEEPS HIS CHIN UP SCOTTY HOPSON?!?!?!?!? THAT SCOTTY HOPSON?!?!?!?!? NO. FREAKIN'. WAY!

brokendownoldvol writes:

Congratulations Tobias. Good luck and make TN proud.

tmartin writes:

I am all about supporting our formers players, even if they made bad decisions. UT could hire Scotty to do play by play on radio. He cant be any worse than what we have now.

VolNationPride writes:

All the negativity towards Scotty. Some of you "fans" would be bashing him if he were at UT, so why not be happy that he is trying to make it in the league?

All the "hype" he received coming out of highschool was because some of you "fans" created that hype. I am pretty sure Scotty didn't say he was the second coming of Jordan. I am sure Scotty was confident in his game, most players are. I guess since he didn't average 30ppg and lead us to 4 championships, he was a complete failure.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to tmartin:

First thing...MOST people like our radio guys! Secondly..have you heard Scottie in his interviews? He's not ready for radio. He apparently isn't ready for the NBA...BUT hold your breath 'cause I think some team will give him a shot. I really do. We hope so anyhow.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to VolNationPride:

No comment. I just liked what you said.

volzrock54 writes:

Is anyone really surprised eraser head didn't get drafted?

hallsguy writes:

I always said Tobias had far more potential than Scotty.Scotty was receiving very bad counsel. He needed another year in the SEC to grow up and learn defense and teamwork. Sounds like Coach Martin would have gotten something out of him. Scotty might get toughened up in Turkey or Russia or even China.He is just not NBA material.
Congrats to Tobias.He too, would have benefitted from another year but he will be fine.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to BobKesling_is_overpaid:

Scottie will be playing in Turkey...wearing a burqa...bwahahaha

A.) Men don't wear burquas
B.) Scotty will probably be in Turkey, or some like league
C.) Hopson will make more of an annual salary in that league than you will ever hope to achieve.
D.) How has your obscene post not been removed?
E.) Congratulations Tobias!

GO VOLS

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to VolNationPride:

Fans appreciate the guys who work hard every day and play hard every play regardless of their talent and size. Tobias and Dane are two fine examples.

But that wasn't Scotty, was it?

Volunatic writes:

I feel bad for Scotty Hopson. He got some bad advice.
Best of luck to him, though, and to Tobias Harris, too! GO VOLS!!!

samvol writes:

in response to lomas98:

This is the best post I have read all year.Thank you. I dont understand these fans, they praise the "coach" who got UT into trouble with the NCAA but bash the kids that took us to the elite 8.

Volunatic writes:

in response to tmartin:

so much for getting on a good team

BFD
He will make $2.5M over the next two years. Way to go, Tobias!

samvol writes:

Good Luck Tobias, i will be watching VFL. Scotty will be playing and making lots of money..best wishes to you both..

GoZO..GoVols

Volunatic writes:

in response to lomas98:

Well said.
I think Scotty didn't make the best decision, but I made a lot of mistakes at that age, too.
Besides, he will make a very good salary playing basketball in Europe or Turkey, and he can still work on improving his game for a possible shot at the NBA.
(Worked out well for CJ Watson.)

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to NashvillePreds:

A.) Men don't wear burquas
B.) Scotty will probably be in Turkey, or some like league
D.) How has your obscene post not been removed?
E.) Congratulations Tobias!

GO VOLS

I always like your posts. They actually make sense, which makes you in the minority on here.

Some of you don't get it, you just don't get it. I'm willing to bet the LACK OF SUPPORT is a MAJOR contributor to Scotty not coming back. Read this thread and read the things said about him. Why would he come back? I don't think it had as much to do with the NBA or bad advice from advisors as it did getting the heck out of here and not having to deal with our spoiled fans. The moment he stepped on campus, he was supposed to replace Chris Lofton. Was he inconsistent? Heck yeah he was. Did he have areas in which he needed work? Heck yeah he did. And that goes back to what I've said all along....He was severely under coached!!!

On the other hand...Did he lead us in scoring? Yes, even over a top 20 pick. Did he lead an elite 8 team in scoring? Uh yeah he did. I remember Wayne Chism missing a WIDEOPEN 1ft layup in the elite 8, with less than 1 minute to play that would have put us up by 3 and probably sealed the game. Yet the ENTIRE off season Scotty was blamed for missing some FTs. The pressure put on this kid was unbelievable. A couple of decent years on the hardwood, and we start acting like we are a basketball school. Our hoops fans are now acting like our football fans. Erratic fan base, sanctions, coaching change...And you bash him for leaving? Folks act like Hopson sold them short, but it's actually the other way around.

And I'm not posting this for anyone who might have said he wouldn't get drafted, or anyone who felt he was making a mistake. This is for the LOSERS who have made personal attacks on him. The same people won't make in the next 5 yrs what he'll make in one over seas.

So let's see...make 100+K/yr to play over seas. Or make $0 to play in Knoxville when 80% of the fan base hates you. Easy decision if you ask me.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Orange_A_Holic:

Lomas wasn't replying to you. He was talking to those other guys.