Bill Mosiello: UT is 'special’

Baseball assistant officially on staff

It’s now every sort of official: Former Tennessee baseball assistant Bill Mosiello will join new coach Dave Serrano’s staff as UT’s hitting coach and recruiting coordinator.

UT announced the hire Monday, two days after Mosiello’s previous employer, the Class AA Arkansas Travelers, announced his resignation as the team’s manager.

“The timing obviously wasn’t great with me leaving the Angels organization and that was unfortunate, but opportunities like this don’t happen every day,” Mosiello said in a university statement.

“I can’t put into words what a special place this is, especially with Dave leading the program. Things happened quickly but I just feel that everything is lining up to give us a unique chance to get this place going again. We all left great situations and have a lot on the line, but as big as the challenge may be, the rewards are even greater.”

Mosiello, 46, was a Vols assistant under Rod Delmonico 1993-94 before leaving for a similar position at Ole Miss. He was in his third year with the Los Angeles Angels organization before opting to join his childhood friend Serrano’s staff at UT.

Mosiello has 17 years of coaching at the collegiate level and seven more in the minor leagues. He was 196-147 with the Angels and 394-304 overall in his career.

In UT’s release, Serrano called Mosiello his “battery mate” throughout Little League. The two also were high school and junior college teammates and coached on the same staff at Cerritos College in the early 1990s.

“Since then, he has been successful at every level of baseball imaginable, both collegiately and professionally,” Serrano said. “I am extremely excited to be able to add a coach of his caliber to our staff and look forward to working with him and Coach (Greg) Bergeron to get this program back to the top.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BigBadVol writes:

It appears this staff has the right experience, attitude, and desire to put UT back on top. VFL

Wauconda_Vol writes:

I wonder what Rod thinks about this. If I were him, it would be some amount of vindication for UT removing him.

GreerVol22 writes:

Wow, left AA Angles organization to be a recruiting coordinator. Says a lot about the state of pro baseball right now....Heck, the Dodgers filled Chapter 11 today. Anyway, Welcome back, good luck, and recruit in state will ya!!

ArmyDad writes:

in response to Wauconda_Vol:

Not really. Both of those guys moved on from Tennessee to take lateral positions elsewhere. I don't think there was a whole lot of love lost between Serrano and Delmonico or Mosiello and Delmonico.

VolinCalif writes:

I don't know guys. But I had a difficult time following Bill's paths. Maybe it's just me but I personally think Gribble needs to review how is saying things a little better before going to print. Not complaining Andy, I was a very poor English student and have no right ridiculing anyone.
The Old One

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Where are you at FutureCoach16? You were on the article posted earlier today about Mosiello comparing the Serrano hire to the Lane Kiffin hire. Yes, comparing the Serrano hire to the Lane Kiffin hire while at the same time crying about Raleigh. Where are you FutureCoach?

FEARinSEC writes:

Ok, who was his former employer?? Arkansas Travelers or the Angels?? I'm very confused by this article!!

LJS1984 writes:

Good Hire. The Travelers won their division in the first half of the AA Texas League season and are 6-0 so far in the second half. Impressive hire in my book.

easleychuck writes:

Welcome aboard.

calvolfromkingsport writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

The Angels are not the same as the Dogers, just like the McCourts are not the same as Gene Autry.