SEC's Sankey recuses self from UT's NCAA case

Though he is listed as a person the University of Tennessee should copy when it responds to its Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, SEC associate commissioner Gregory Sankey won't have any part in whatever decisions the Committee on Infractions makes after its June meetings with UT officials.

Sankey won't even be in Indianapolis for the hearings, as the NCAA's conflict of interest policy will prevent him from having any input on the case.

According to NCAA guidelines, a committee member is required to recuse himself or herself when a school from the same conference is being examined.

Sankey, the most recently appointed member of the Committee on Infractions, has been involved with three cases already this year, most notably including the recent probation levied against California men's basketball for numerous impermissible phone calls.

Sankey, who has been with the SEC since 2002 as its director of compliance, is in the first year of a three-year term with the COI. COI members are permitted to serve as many as three, three-year terms.

Former COI members typically fill in for those who must recuse themselves. When Oregon law professor James O'Fallon, who is set to be on the committee for UT's hearing, was unable to participate in Southern Cal's hearing last year because of his Pac-10 ties, former COI chair Josephine Potuto took his place, according to an SI.com article.

Senior deputy director of athletics at Notre Dame Melissa Conboy, who also will be a member of the COI in June, did not participate in the recent ruling against the UConn men's basketball program. Potuto helped fill in for that case, too, as NCAA guidelines state that two of the 10 members must be women.

The two NCAA staff members who also will receive a copy of UT's response to the 12 major allegations of violations it faces in its men's basketball and football programs do not have a say in the committee's final decision on punishments and sanctions, NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn wrote in an e-mail.

NCAA vice president of enforcement Julie Roe Lach and her staff will present the allegations and facts of the case while Shep Cooper, the director of the Committee on Infractions, serves as the committee's liaison.

UT has until May 21 to respond to the allegations. The university's appearance before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions in Indianapolis is anticipated to be during the committee's meeting on June 10-11.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CroKev writes:

YYYYAAAAWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNN.... Could somebody please read this article and summarize it in a sentence or two so that I don't have to read it?

Realist writes:

in response to CroKev:

This will not be a popular statement, but I bet Bruce has coached his last game at TB Arena. The NCAA is not going to leave UT an option with an extremely long suspension. Expect the worst and hope for the best!

tennessee47 writes:

NCAA is not goign to take it easy on UT they will throw the book at the school to make example out them. What hurting UT is the basketball and football program both broke the rules.
I hope they do not throw the book at them. But is going to happen

filmjr#558361 writes:

I think the more interesting question is: if the Vols suffer the wrath of the NCAA, does Hamilton keep his job?

CCLC writes:

in response to filmjr#558361:

I think the more interesting question is: How has he kept his job to this point? If there’s one man in America who’s catching more heat than Bruce Pearl or Lane Kiffin today it’s the guy who hired both of them at Tennessee.
SI.com’s Stewart Mandel: “But what of Hamilton? Under his watch, one of the nation’s proudest athletic programs has deteriorated into one of its most shameful. Will Tennessee chancellor Jimmy Cheek go along with the illusion that the football mess can be blamed entirely on that mercenary scoundrel Kiffin, and that reducing Pearl’s salary last fall was an adequate show of force? Or, will he do the right thing: recognize that Hamilton was ultimately Pearl’s and Kiffin’s greatest enabler; that Hamilton’s department is a textbook example of the risks of allowing splashy head coaches the freedom to act as their own freewheeling autocrats; and that ultimately Hamilton and his whole department should be replaced and rebuilt?”

tennrich1 writes:

No one knows what will happen...WHY would reasonably intelligent people go to a website and predict any outcome of this investigation...SURELY we have all been around (I am assuming many of you have observed this type stuff at least 35 years or more like me) long enough too know one thing...NOTHING CAN BE FIGURED OUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE NCAA...so why even try...people who hate on Bruce want the worst...people who are UT fans want understanding and patience from the NCAA...that's really the bottom line isnt it???? Let's just wait and see...

GreerVol22 writes:

many coaches have doen way worse than Pearl and are still coaching, many at the same school. Question is, will the NCAA set a new precedent and punish these offenses above what has been handed out earlier.

jryevols#222657 writes:

Let me put all this to rest for you all , why , lets just say I know exactly what will happen.

Will the NCAA take into consideration the infractions that have already been self -impossed? The answer is YES , YES.

What will the penalties be in addition ;
A. Bruce will be suspended for the first 10 games of next year
B. Tennessee will loose (2) schlorships
C. Bruce will be placed on probation for two years. Any NCAA infractions and he will be suspended for one-two years

That is it , and you can take it to the bank , why , lets just say , I know.

Now lets leave this alone , because no one is going anywhere.

jryevols#222657 writes:

now before you ask , how do I know......
Lets just say that I've got friends in both low and high places.

Hmmmm...Lets just say that when we all thought that the media was killing us with this being broadcast every game , they were actually helping. Sources say that the NCAA committee is pissed that the media has blasted their credibility and demanded that they take control. They will take control ....just you wait and see , of what you may ask? The media.........

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Bruce is our coach. He is flawed, but so are all of us. He will get better. This is America. We appreciate remorse, we allow for mistakes and we never give up. We are backing our man and we will not be overtly punished. We are one of the backbones of the NCAA. We do many good things in collegiate sports. We try harder and give more than most. We are the gold standard, most of the time. Remember that....

voloffaith writes:

in response to jryevols#222657:

What will the penalties be in addition ;
A. Bruce will be suspended for the first 10 games of next year
B. Tennessee will loose (2) schlorships

That is it , and you can take it to the bank , why , lets just say , I know.

Now lets leave this alone , because no one is going anywhere.

Point B tells me we've got cowboy trouble....will the knot be tight or "loose"? If I lose any of ya'll in that we've got bigger fish to fry.

On topic, nobody knows yet so the speculations,and that is all they are, will continue as we rant and postulate to each others delight. The article states we respond and they review with later response of....your guess is as good as mine. So predict away, but remember it is the NCAA we're talking about.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

The point is that some people in positions of authority did the right thing in certain situations. Lay off the Grib, it is just generic news that would be news if it wasn't reported.

KptDBVol writes:

The interesting thing about this situation is that there really are very few facts in dispute. In the USC case for example, the entire case turns on the idea that USC knew or should have known about the flow of cash and benefits to Reggie. USC says....we had no clue. And thus the big hearing in Indianapolis.

Our case is decidedly different. Most all allegations have been admitted in some form or another. There might be some disagreement as to the intent of the actors or the degree of the transgression but the basics are all admitted.

Therein lies the rub...I see no real reason for hearings and the waiting game. We lied and admitted it, have been punished for it...severely, I might add. Under the NCAA findings against USC, every person at the school that was interviewed or testified had to have lied to the NCAA investigators. Nobody, on behalf of the school, admitted to knowing of the payments, yet they have been hammered for the house, cars and benefits to Reggie and his family. Not only did the decision handed down presuppose that they lied, they have never recanted and have never come clean. In fact, with the appeal, they continue the lie that they have maintained since the start.

I believe that the prudent thing at this time is to plea bargain with the NCAA. Give us a penalty that we can live with. Let us serve it and get on with our business, and make the idea of anymore "uh-oh's" quick and painless suspension for a period that prevents Pearl or any other staff member being able to maintain a coaching job anywhere.

The above suggestions fit that criteria to a T. Makes perfect sense and would serve the ends of justice for both parties.

In short, I have no inside knowledge, but I do know that both sides have a very serious common interest in seeing this matter come to a close sooner than later.

Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4 writes:

in response to tennrich1:

I could not have said this better. When looking at CBP just think of others who have publicly confessed their wrongdoings or "sins." Look at Michael Vick. I personally would never have thought that in a couple of years he has pretty much been forgiven by our society. Look at formerr President Bill Clinton. Back in the late 90's he came within one U.S.Senator voting for impeachment and he would have been the only sitting U.S. President removed from office. Last year to my astonishment I was watching Bill O'reily and he spoke of a recent poll which showed Bill Clinton had a favorability rating in excess of 60%. We, as American, are a forgiving lot. Most of us realize that folks make mistakes or "sins". There has been only one perfect man to walk this planet and he was hung on a cross by The Romans and a handful of mean-spirited Jews.

Sorry for all these Biblical references- but the point is all of "us have sinned and come short of the glory."

How 'bout them Vols?

CCLC writes:

in response to Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4:

How 'bout them Vols?

"We, as American, are a forgiving lot. Most of us realize that folks make mistakes or "sins". There has been only one perfect man to walk this planet and he was hung on a cross by The Romans and a handful of mean-spirited Jews."
Goodness... " mean-spirited Jews" I guess you are discounting the fact that Jesus was indeed himself a Jew.... and that without him hanging on that cross .... you ..yourself would not be forgiven of your sins... seems like those "mean-spirited Jews" did you a favor. Also, does this really belong here..
just sayin'

NYvolFan writes:

I say this is the issue:

If Pearl lied and retracted later, fine. But it's worse. He:

1. Involved his assistants to lie also;
2. Called Mr. Craft
3. Basically told the involved recruits to lie too;
4. Committed another violation 4 days later after crying about it.

Summation: Conspiracy to lie to the NCAA!

They will spank him/us in BB, and hopefully spank Lame Lane, and allow Coach Dooley to move forward unharmed.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4:

How 'bout them Vols?

Hey! Don't ever apologize for a Biblical reference!? It's the best reference you could possibly give...we just have to make sure we use a proper interpretation for the "stone throwers".lol

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to NYvolFan:

I say this is the issue:

If Pearl lied and retracted later, fine. But it's worse. He:

1. Involved his assistants to lie also;
2. Called Mr. Craft
3. Basically told the involved recruits to lie too;
4. Committed another violation 4 days later after crying about it.

Summation: Conspiracy to lie to the NCAA!

Golly! I haven't seen these points before?
That changes all our minds!!!
Cerially!

1. I forgive his assistants too...only makes sense, if we forgive Pearl
2. I'd say a lot of extra phone calls were made to Craft by different schools...Where are those other schools...I guess they admitted nothing about the bbq's hamburgers whatever.
3. AAAaaaaarrrrrrghhh!Sorry I panicked
4. Dear Lord, please forgive me? I've messed up again? (ring a bell? Ever said that to God?) Guess what there's no end to forgiveness...not that we should keep doing wrong but we always can always be forgiving.

Yeh he did wrong and we all hate that!! Messed up our comfortable little reclining seats! Well I may throw a remote or two but I won't throw stones!!! Not even at you NCAA! My tirade here makes me wish I could take a few stones back actually.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to CCLC:

just sayin'

I haven't seen a whole lot of this "forgiving America" you speak of ...lol However I have seen a whole lot of forgiving by Jesus? The "mean spirited Jews" you speak of did not represent "Jews"...they represented all peoples as did the even more mean spirited Romans who invented this torturous death(I think I should look this up I suppose). What you said is true.
Except the question at the end? Sorry but there is no place we can hide!
I think maybe perhaps I guess that the Supreme Being loves bball too! I know w/o a doubt he loves Bruce.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Except the question at the end? Sorry but there is no place we can hide!

Sorry but I don't think I was very clear!!
Your (CCLC)"attack"(?) of the poster using "mean spirited Jews" didn't make sense to me. What else could they have been in that area and that time and using scripture itself to qualify the case. "evil spirited" would be more accurate. This in NO way implies that all Jews are mean and evil! Even so Jesus said, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do".
So CCLC I'm not really sure what you meant.
The posters statement to me didn't appear at all discriminatory.
oh!uhhh GBO

CCLC writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Except the question at the end? Sorry but there is no place we can hide!

You are preaching to the choir... go back and reread the thread. Your response is not to my post .... ck the quotes and then read my response. Your response is to Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4: whose post is which I quoted and you responded to.......
Crucifixion predated the Romans. The Seleucid Empire (Greeks-created by Alex the Great) used it often but were later conquered by the Romans who borrowed the practice. Constantine the Great outlawed it in honor of Jesus Christ.
just sayin'

CCLC writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Sorry but I don't think I was very clear!!
So CCLC I'm not really sure what you meant.
The posters statement to me didn't appear at all discriminatory.
oh!uhhh GBO

Attack? I took exception to it but I see no where here that it might be considered an attack. I would discuss it with you in another venue but this is hardly the place. Suffice it to say I found the comment bigoted and pointed it out. Shall we just agree to disagree.
GBO?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to CCLC:

GBO?

The statement was absolutely not written in a bigoted manner however the poster may be, I don't know. This is a bball site but we All sometimes get caught up in other stuff including your point to this poster! If he IS a bigot (don't know from what he said)then I withdraw any defense of his statements.LOL
btw I did say GBO on my post.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Oh yeah, I did put a ? in parenthesis by the word "attack" as I wasn't sure. Until you stated that he was being bigoted . To me that would be an attack. I'm still not sure if we disagree? Because I don't know if he's bigoted or not?
Besides this article is old news!

volsfan123 writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

I agree that what Bruce did was wrong. I just think in this case , he has already had enought punishment. It's not like a lot of money has exchanged hands. It probably happens in every school in the SEC. Bruce just happened to have gotten caught.

DannyVol writes:

Meanwhile, does anyone really expect the NCAA to come down hard on their poster child, Ohio State?