Bruce Pearl puts Cam Tatum back in starting lineup

Tennessee guard Cameron Tatum defends against Arkansas guard Rotnei Clarke during the first round of the SEC Tournament at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga., Thursday, March 10, 2011.

Photo by Adam Brimer

The bench didn’t work as a slump-breaker. Cam Tatum will answer the bell Friday when Tennessee takes on Michigan.

Coach Bruce Pearl confirmed Tuesday that Tatum will return to the starting lineup for UT’s NCAA basketball tournament opener in Charlotte.

The Vols (19-14) face Michigan (20-13) at 12:40 p.m. (TV: truTV) hoping to advance to a likely date with No. 1 seed Duke on Sunday.

Tatum, suffering through a prolonged scoring slump, was benched last Friday in favor of Josh Bone in what turned out to be an 85-74 loss to Florida in the SEC tournament.

“He felt like he had to make a statement,’’ Tatum said Tuesday. “It was a little frustrating, all the elements that were part of it.

“I think it was really to grab my attention, to take the pressure off or whatever it was.’’

What it was, said Pearl, was, “I was trying to play the ‘Can I (tick) you off more than you’re already (ticked) off?’ card.

“So he would get out there and go, ‘Really? Watch this.’ It didn’t work.

“So if you want to blame anybody, blame me.’’

Bone played 23 minutes and scored three points on 1-of-4 shooting. Tatum, who had started UT’s first 32 games, missed his only shot in seven minutes.

Although his average has diminished to 8.9 points a game, the 6-foot-6 junior wing still is UT’s third-leading scorer.

“He is our third-best player,’’ Pearl said. “I’ve said it many times. We need Cam to score for us to win.

“I’ve played Josh Bone in a lot of situations because, defensively, Josh is really good. Josh can’t do some of the things Cam can do offensively.’’

Tatum’s shooting has slumped to

38 percent and 27.7 percent from 3-point range.

Pearl said the key is getting Tatum to relax on offense without sacrificing any intensity on defense.

“Being uptight, nervous and concerned hasn’t helped him play better,’’ Pearl said.

“He cares. He wants to do well. We want him to perform.’’

But the memory of better times — for himself and his team — haven’t completely disintegrated as UT’s 7-0 start gave way to a 12-14 finish.

Perhaps the NCAA tournament can be a fresh break for Tatum and for a team that has slowly lost confidence over the past six weeks.

“We have one of the best teams in the country if we put all our talent together,’’ said Tatum.

“That’s what is so frustrating about this process.

“We know better than anybody the way we worked all summer long and how excited we were coming into the season.

“Things took off and everything was how we knew it was supposed to be. We thought that was how it was going to be all year long. We had that much confidence in each other.’’

And now they have to find a way to get it back. Quickly.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

Okay coach. At this point, I am not sure what will get to Cameron. Is he our best option to win?

clvolfan writes:

"He cares,He wants to do well"
UH!Who in major college BB doesn't?

Bigger_Al writes:

Cam is obviously an intelligent and well-spoken young man. But it seems like he's psyched-out like Jordan Howell was. Maybe he's a sensitive kid that needs a vote of confidence more than a kick in the arse.

Ironcity writes:

I wish Cam would make things easy for himself. It seems when he drives to the rim he only carries the ball one handed and one of three things happen: the defenders easily swat it away without fouling, he looses control of the ball or he realizes he has to make an adjustment but since he only has one hand on the ball he has no control and he ends up throwing the ball at the rim instead of shooting it.

If he would make the easy shoots easy he might get a little confidence.

Also I would love to see our guys take advantage of the 1-3-1. This is a great defense accept you can never get a body and box out anyone. Our wings should be able to rim rattle some dunks on missed shots if we rotate properly and just don't fade back on dee.

BleedN_OrangE writes:

substitution on isle 3 plz.....man is it friday yet?

iadvol writes:

Bone should start over Tatum. Also, keep SP and TM off the court at the same time!!!!

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

well he started every game but the last---how much more a vote of confidence can you give someone not producing????-----------just so long you can stand pat when its not working without trying something

carbonzip writes:

Maybe, less frantic antics on the sideline and fewer substitutions would help these players' confidence. They should know what they are supposed to do by now.

volcycle writes:

What's that quote..."It's not personal, it's just business." If he can't produce, sit him on the bench. If potential is your standard, then everyone deserves to play. I think it's a mistake to play a player unless they're playing well in practice and then if they can't do it in the game...they're not ready for prime time.

BrayIsTheWay writes:

After watching this kid torch the Rocky Top League this summer I was sure he was gonna be a key player for us this year. Alas he has turned out to be one of our most inconsistent shooters of the whole year. I think if he can come out and knock down his first shot of the game maybe that could ignite a spark and send him on a tear like he did against Gonzaga at TBA in 09. Arguably his best game but he needs to best that. Hopefully he will in the tourney. March Madness isnt just a slogan, it's a real disease and anything can happen in the tourney. If the Tennessee that showed up the start of the year (The Big East slayers) can show up again for just a few more games they could do something special again. Its obvious Tobias and Scotty will have to lead the team but if we escape Michigan its all up to our bigs cause the Plumlee's are probably the best duo in the nation. If we control the boards and limit T.O.'s we stand a chance at the Sweet 16. No Im not on the Kool Aid either Im just sayin its March Madness. It's a whole new season. Just depends on which side of us show's up.

RoadTrip writes:

We will see more of the same this week. Maybe we play the first game focused. Maybe we don't. If we do, I assure you we will not against Duke because we can't focus fully two games in a row. We will see 11 players on the court with the bench scoring at less than 10 points not counting Brian Williams' production, who really should be a starter. Many of us will be glad to see SP play his last game and many of us will talk about how we wish he were coming back. Others will be wishing McBee was going with him while others will point out that he scored more in some games than Fields, Hall, Tataum, Golden, etc. - combined. Then the CBP watch will begin for real.

However, the images of watching Williams air ball free throws and yet make a key 30 footer will bounce around in my head for years. Same with SP shooting free throws like lead bricks on fire and then making a great move under the basket for a no-look reverse lay-up. Or Scotty pouting like a baby one minute and make NBA drives to the basket the next. Then there was Goins playing fullback on a drive to the basket and then picking the pocket of the other PG the next, etc.

I want to get excited but I just can't. One more day closer to spring football practice and the O/W game thankfully.

BrayIsTheWay writes:

Btw speakin of spring football (comment above ^) join the facebook group Bray is the Way. Support your super Soph QB!

carbonzip writes:

No stupid technical fouls allowed. Substitution while building a lead or making a comeback not permissible. Threaten the basket at all times and take shots as soon as high percent ones are available. When in doubt, shoot.

SEC1 writes:

in response to BrayIsTheWay:

skinny bray is that you? bray is the way? more like please add weight is the way, i sure hope you have added weight because you want make it against the likes of lsu,fl,bama,ga.. as the starting qb, so forget about what you seen vs those chumps in memphis,vandy,kentucky, your world will change once you have the pleasure of playing the entire game against the gators... that is if your rail-thin body last by halftime

1vavolfan writes:

My question is this: is Jordan McCrae so bad that he can't get on the floor with Tatum, Bone, and McBee in front of him? He was a top 35 player last year, unless he is totally helpless CBP should have at least put him out there some to get him some minutes because he should figure in to UT's future plans. I have been frustrated to no end with Tatum but when was the last time Josh Bone knocked down an open jumper?

kazoo writes:

This is a man's game, but unfortunately Tatum has played like a wimp most of the year--no mental toughness. His lousy play is a big reason why the offense and the team have struggled this year. UT has a weak supporting cast and that has to change.

BrayIsTheWay writes:

in response to SEC1:

Sorry we cant start a tight end for a QB just to have the slightest bit of production on offense.

carbonzip writes:

The greatest major league game ever pitched was supported by terrific defense, but it was lost because the Pirates could not produce one run. Offense just as important as defense. If Woolridge or Bray can score more points than they give up, let them play.

VolunteerLifer writes:

By now, as Tatum's fourth year in the program and Bone's fourth playing season are finishing, the evidence collected is pretty overwhelming. It says that we don't have a talented or skilled scorer at that position. Neither one of them are very good as offensive players, and after all of this time, it's probable that they'll never be. I don't believe Tatum is in a shooting slump, I believe he just isn't a very good shooter. And I have little hope that will change much for him next year.

eb502us#225637 writes:

I think Pearl summed up this team with one statement "He's our third best player".

While I disagree (Williams is our third best player), Cam is way down the list.

I hope he breaks out of his "slump" but even if he does, this team doesn't have enough offensive talent to get very far which is why we play like we play. And our defense of late has been just as poor.

I like Pearl but he has made some really poor decisions of late and playing Cam extended minutes is one of them. He just not that good.

NYvolFan writes:

I think Cam hits the bong too much...only justification I can imagine.

Orange_since_84 writes:

It just seems like Cam can't do anything offensively lately, especially since the free throws at FL. If he shoots a three, its not even close and if he drives to the basket, he either misses a lay up or turns it over before he gets there (one recent monster dunk excluded).

As much as I hate to see them come down and jack up threes and as much as McBee drives me crazy, the last two games he started out by hitting his first three point attempt, then he didn't shoot another one in either game before coming out of the game. As bad as they are on the threes, I say if anybody hits one, feed him the ball to keep shooting unless he misses the next two in a row. Just have BW in there for a chance to control the boards and get the darn ball back for a two.

rocky_topper writes:

Cam starting? I think I would put the five best players on the floor in the NCAA tourney. Just my thinking though.

VOL75ga writes:

in response to carbonzip:

I have to agree. I'm getting tired of watching Pearl dance around and maybe the players are too.

tlc3wp#268997 writes:

in response to carbonzip:

Could not agree more. Let them play.

richvol writes:

I am sick of this "team". Tatum may play better after the one game benching but he does not deserve to start. These guys can't sustain anything. The only one I thing has any real fight and IQ is Tobias.

JCforUTVols writes:

in response to richvol:

AMEN!

easleychuck writes:

in response to richvol:

Pretty much agree. I would use the word 'tired' instead of 'sick' but I am guessing that we mean the same thing.

This season has dragged on forever. I loved Coach Pearls revitilization of the program. But I am afraid that he 'screwed the pooch' and now needs to leave.

Ironcity writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

I hate to admit it but your right.

brod writes:

it's really sad that tatum is in this position to begin with. he is a good player, but seems to be having issues both mentally and physically.

9wb writes:

Cameron Tatum should never play for UT again. Enough is enough.

hallsguy writes:

The Vols need to concentrate on getting their points in the paint and quit jacking up the three balls.This is a short Michigan team playing a 1-3-1. Take advantage.And don't forget to stay in their face on the outside on defense. Also on defense, they need to communicate on switches because a Princeton offense can leave you looking silly.
Also,the officiating is different in the NCAA's because the crews don't have favorites even though they will for Duke. Sirmon's tech on Pearl is a classic example of a "bone to pick".SP did about have his arm hacked off and BP was right to say something. Unfortunately, it changed a tie game to a four point lead which the Gators never let up.

shoelessvol#236864 writes:

Tatum looks as if he has the "right" tools to be a really good player. This year for some reason hasn't worked out for him. Maybe there is too much pressure for him and he isn't handling it well. Before the season I thougth he would be a JP Prince type of player...10-12 points a game 5-6 rebounds 2-3 steals and assists. That's what this team really needs! Maybe during the tournament this can happen. On another note, I know Woolridge must be really bad, is he red-shirting this year? Hadn't heard.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I think Tatum carries some responsibilty, but our bigs carry even more! When Williams is having a good rebounding game we usually win. He even scores a little with the rebounding confidence he gains at times. Hall and Fields need to do what they do I guess. Good teams need "bruisers" lol. SPearl gives us some of that.
Cam CAN get to the basket, but lately they haven't fallen for him. Early in the year I thought he'd be our go to when we couldn't get Harris or Hopson inside. He doesn't need to play more confident...just smarter...Him and Goins!!! Handle the rock, watch the D, and be ready to pass! Do not go against the 2 bigs inside till you've faked the "jocks off" first.
Personally I don't like this offense where you wait till the last 10 seconds to score. I understand it somewhat but don't like it. I like offense that look inside all the time, use screens, passes a lot to different areas, etc. Nothing wrong with ball screens but it shouldn't be the only option to me. Oh well. Nor this one on 3 offense where we supposedly attack the lane...only works first half.haha

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to hallsguy:

The SP foul to me was the errupting point for several bad calls. However it just happened to change the momentum when BPearl got the tech.
I don't think he would have gotten it if he'd known our guys would quit! They did quit...not a put down but they haven't had much fight late in the game all year. When they did seem to have that want to we probably won. There IS not team out there we can't beat...potentially or if we're playing a decent game. We had a shot at everyone we lost to at some point second half where we seemed to quit playing.

dcap8424 writes:

in response to BrayIsTheWay:

LOL! Plumlee's are the best duo in the nation!? Have you watched basketball this year? Duke is the most overrated team in the nation. They have exactly 2 top-25 wins and they're both over North Carolina (also overrated). Duke is untouchable with Irving playing, but it's doubtful he will play.

Plumlee brothers!? Have you ever heard of the Morris twins at Kansas? Get a clue.

sheep writes:

in response to iadvol:

If you are refering to TM I dont think we have a player that plays with the initials TM. However, if you are refering to SM, which is Skylar Mcbee, it is obvious that you do not watch the games, or read the stat lines. Without Skylar against Florida on Friday, we would have lost by 21 instead of 11, because he had 10 points, 2 steals and one rebound, and one of the steals he took from the second best point guard in the SEC, went the distance and laid it in when everyone else on the court wearing orange had quit trying. He had his best performance of the year, and it has seemed to me that when he plays and is left alone for more than one minute on the floor, he really helps us in many areas aside from the fact he is 3rd on the team in shooting from three. To the case of Steven Pearl, once again you dont watch the game, when he is in he seems to score points, and provide toughness that none of the other, "Athletes" provide. Everyone is on Steven, when he is an asset to this team. He had six points against Arkansas, and he had a key bucket when he came in against Florida. It pains me to see you trools not watch the game, or look at the stat sheet, and then go blurting out non factual opinions. We need to get behind this team, and cheer for them, because beating Michigan will take a better effort than beating a young Villanova team or even the current Pitt team that kind of slumped at the end of the season. If we do beat Michigan, Duke awaits, and they are playing like world beaters right now, and I dont know of a team who plays more together, and has less Egos than Duke (credit COACH K). So if our team wants to play well, we need to look at the games we competed well in, and analyze what worked. I think we will find that in those games, both Skylar and Steven were a big part of those games. But no one will admit those facts, because their favorites are not playing. The reason they are not playing is they have not earned it in practice, or in game time situations. If they had earned the minutes, they would receive them. Obviously Mcbee and Pearl have earned the minutes they are playing, and have been a help, otherwise they would be sitting, EX: Jeronne Maymon who killed us with his erratic shooting, and seemingly uncontrolled play, and if no one rememberes, this team was doing well till he started playing and Bruce messed with the rotation, if you dont believe me, look at the record before the rotation was changed (7-0), and after it was messed with(12-14). Either watch the games, and read the box score, so that you have valid facts to post on this site, or just go away and watch world cup nobody cares soccer.
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Tennessee by 3 Says the Sheep

tmartin writes:

Let me get this straight. . . Pearl plays over swiper and mcrae because supposedly "he hustles and can play defense" but couldnt score in a girls middle school game?? However, Tatum gets to play over Bone (who hustles and can play D) because he can do more offensively?? yeah, that makes perfect sense.

jdcdjc writes:

Bone should start, he plays better defense, hustles all over the place. He is not much of a scoreing threat, but neither is sleepy. Lets face it, we just don;t have a very good team, I really don't understand how we beat some good teams earlier in the year and I watched them. If we are not able to get the ball to the rim we cannot score, and some times that don't help.

VOL_MAROONED_IN_NC writes:

Harris and Hopson are the only 2 legit players we have, the other 3 who happen to be on the floor dont really even matter. But it does matter when Coach Liar puts both of those 2 guys on the bench at the same time and lets third tier players like Tatum and Goins run amuck and shoot 30 footers with 15 seconds left on the shot clock. And of course he has to get playing time for his no talent son so that he can make his quota of turnovers and missed defensive assignments. In other words, this whole article and discussion are pointless. If Hopson and Harris can't win the game for us by themselves, we're sunk.

samvol writes:

The beginning of the NCAA tourney and Pearl still has no clue as to what he is doing..... SMH!!!

martinvol34 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

You hit the nail on the head. It's the offense. Anyone can defend if you sit out on the perimeter and do nothing until 14 seconds and then try to feed the ball to Scotty to dribble down the middle and lose the ball.

They were at their best when running and gunning and playing fast against Florida and then Pearl substituted.

I too love what he has done for the program but do believe that he has not been at his best since this scandal broke.

I believe that once things stabilize regardless of the NCAA sanctions, all of these kids and coaches perform better.

iadvol writes:

in response to sheep:

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Tennessee by 3 Says the Sheep

Mr. Mcbee/Sheep: Congrats, your son had one good game the other day; however, i still dont want to see your son and steven pearl on the court together ever again. p.s. i watch every game and im not a troll.

iLOVEtheVOLS writes:

Too much substitution. These kids can't get into a rhythm. Let em stay on the floor and play coach.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to hit_remove_but_he_is_still_history:

6 consecutive NCAA tournaments. I know it hurts to hear, but the truth often does to people like you.

BreatheUT writes:

These kids think they are endowed with a starting position. The guy is playing like a person that comes in during mop up minutes of a blowout and is frustrated he didn't start. How about getting mad and motivated.

The delusion of Cam Tatum is one of the reasons this team stinks right now. They think they are better than what they are. They have anointed themselves as the uber talented team because of a good start and that's the fault of a lot of people around the program including fans like myself, no wonder they now don't understand how to win and freeze up when it gets tough.

“So he would get out there and go, ‘Really? Watch this.’ It didn’t work.

So now CBP has caved in after one game. Lesson learned and tough teaaching at its finest huh?

NickDanger-ThirdEye writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Amen! Add Maymon to the list of players that should see time ahead of Tatum, Pearl, McMiss

sheep writes:

in response to iadvol:

If you watched the games, you would have known his initials, therefore your argument is not valid. He has had more than one good game,(Vandy,Georgia,S.C.etc..., check the stats, but you wont because you choose to remain baised and ignorant of the truth) but where are your facts to support your opinion? When he plays more than 15 minutes a game, most of the time we win. Look at the stats and see that I am right like the rest that have questioned what I have said. By the way he is not my son, and not even my good friend, he is just a great kid from a small community in Rutledge, that has more heart than anyone on the team (except Harris), who is also very active in his church, and of higher moral charachter than any of the rest of these thugs that we have on our team (Excluding Harris). You may hate him and Pearl, but they will be a big reason as to why we win or lose the next game.
BAAAAAAAAAAA there is more to a great player than ability. Says the Sheep

sheep writes:

in response to NickDanger-ThirdEye:

More ignorance, Mcbee is third on the team in 3 percentage, with many fewer attempts. Get the stats right. Hate without facts= TROOLS. Maymon cant buy one, and is foul prone. What has he done to help us win one game this year when he has played? No body seems to know the answer to that question. In the mean while, Pearl, Mcbee and Tatum (till the last little bit) have helped us more than they have hurt us. Hard to blame Pearl and Mcbee, when the starters play 20+ minutes per game, and they play less than 15..
BAAAAAAAAAA Says the sheep.

in response to volcycle:

Agree completely; talent is as talent does. It's hard to know just what to do to help a high-strung player who has lost his confidence. If he can't find the wherewithal within himself, well, them's the breaks.

Agree with another poster that the constant substitutions haven't helped. I think it was in the Florida game down there that Cam finally hit a nice 18-footer and he was almost immediately jerked out of the game. I don't get it. Starting or not starting doesn't or shouldn't have as much effect, IMHO, as whether or not a player is allowed to get in a groove by playing sustained minutes.